Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Reaching Magic Tiers
Reaching Magic Tiers
 Asura.Kuji
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Kuji88
By Asura.Kuji 2009-08-26 20:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I know im gona get flamed for /usesearchfunction!! but i did and couldnt find what i was looking for. Maybe you can because there are people out there who like to help others lol

Can someone dig up the elemental/enfeebling/enhancing/INT/MND/ect tiers that you need to hit that amount to get to the next level? If you can only get one that would still be great. (Or if anyone knows them off hand) then ill compile them and post them all in one.

I just think that its great knowledge for mages to have and I need to know what they are so im not wasting gear slots on elemental magic or INT ect when i dont need to. thanks alot!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-26 20:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no idea what your talking about... get enough skill/macc to not get resisted then pack all the int/mab/mnd whatever to make the spell more powerful.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-08-26 21:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends on the spell...
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
Server: Pandemonium
user: Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-08-27 10:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Offhand, there are only set tiers, so to speak, for Bio spells, Elemental enfeebles, and certain Enhancing spells. Bio information is on the wiki, and is dependent on Dark skill. Elemental enfeebles are based on INT, and again that information is on the wiki.
Individual equations for relevant Enhancing spells are also given there, and some are conveniently calculated with this: http://nullvector.com/enhancing.php

Otherwise it's not as simple as all that. It's sort of like asking what the tiers are for ACC and STR or something. You can overkill on ACC, but it'll completely depend on the mob being fought, and so on.

Other than that, offensive magic would fall into two categories - things that just land (Silence, Sleep, etc), and things that have a degree of potency to consider, such as Slow or nukes.

Tests done with nukes suggest that the amount of MAcc gained from a point of INT changes depending on the comparative totals. From -10 dINT to 10 dINT, it's a 1:1 ratio. After that, I think it was tested up to 30 dINT and found that it was a 2:1 ratio (2 INT to 1 MAcc).
For nukes, having a negative dINT negatively affects the damage equation. In general one might assume that being in the negative stat-wise is not where you want to be.

While it has not, to my knowledge, been tested in the same way for MND based spells or songs, IMO, it's fair to assume that they function in the same or similar fashion.

For a given spell, you want to have more of the relevant stat than the mob does. Based on the MAcc testing, going to 10 more than the mob has is probably going to eke the most effectiveness out of your gear for spells that you're simply trying to stick.
Past that, it'd come down to gear availability. Can you beat a 2:1 ratio for stats to skill or MAcc? If so, use that. If not, use the skill or MAcc. It's not so much that you don't need anything more, but it may affect what's more effective for you to add.

For things like nukes or Slow series, you want to continue adding things to boost the potency of the spell if you can. So in part, you really just want to test on a given target as to how much accuracy you can sacrifice and still maintain the land rate you need.

While you do see numbers like the 320 (or 330) skill, 120INT benchmark for BLM, this isn't so much a "tier" but a presumed "good enough" range. It's 120 INT because (at least at the time) the highest known mob INT was 110. If you can do better, by all means, do so.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-08-27 11:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Elemental Debuff
Elemental Debuff said:
1 - 39 INT = 1hp/tic (-5 stat)
40 - 69 INT = 2hp/tic (-7 stat)
70 - 99 INT = 3hp/tic (-9 stat)
100 - 149 INT = 4hp/tic (-11 stat)