First Page 2 3 ... 46 47 48 ... 137 138 139
 Asura.Byrne
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 04:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Asura.Byrne said: »
So, the simulators can't account for accuracy, and debuffs (or even the intricacies of how each individual buff might affect damage overall and if a piece is BiS or not (Not that they can't do that, it's just a hell of a lot more work). Whereas spreadsheets can, but often don't account for these factors, but at the end of the day, you have to trust the person giving you the spreadsheet on their word, because it's not necessarily based on unbiased evidence.
Afania said: »
as the only person with working simulations, i can tell you that you don’t understand how they work if that’s what you think

Can you elaborate that?
i was talking to the other guy
Could you elaborate on that, or were you talking to the other other guy?
You say you can't account for things such as accuracy and debuffs, when that's the point of either tool. the biggest difference is that a spread sheet assumes infinite health and attempts to find a perfect mean where a simulation doesn't and outputs real results based on the conditions given, which can vary greatly on any given run, just like in-game. this is an example run of a thousand 3-minute long fights using my SAM one and as you can see, there is a large range and ideally you'd focus on reducing your interquartile range while increasing your average.

This isn't what I was saying though. You are acting as if the simulator was designed specifically to see which would win if you had a 7 on Samurai roll vs an 11, and you could flip a switch for Regal COR or no; or if you had paralyze on, and what the potency was, etc. Again, it's not that a simulator cannot do this kind of thing, it most certainly can. I do remember though a number of months ago, you being asked about this very concept, and you replied saying it was more work than you were interested in putting into it, frankly I never looked into it after that.

The whole argument is not that simulations and spreadsheets are not effective, only that they should not be treated as though they are 100% correct under every possible circumstance.

Also it needs to be pointed out that even the term "spreadsheet" can be misleading in this context. If what Afania's spreadsheet is, is simply variables to plug in to a known DPS equation and spit out numbers, that's fine. In fact, that's pretty similar to what I do, only I also try to take into consideration what each thing I would be fighting has for Evasion and Defense, and adjust accordingly. It's still not perfect, but it's adequate. However, many people who have spreadsheets (this is especially a problem on the RDM and BLU threads) seem to think that simply plugging in their scoreboard numbers a handful of times and averaging them is giving them a definitive answer.

It is especially egregious when some of the items being compared have so little difference that it can sometimes be explained simply by margin of error.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 04:31:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The guy who asked about burtang and wanted to min max on PLD doesn't need advice like "please don't focus on DD". We're not giving suggestions to a new player here. But new players that read this may think "oh, so not doing dps is what I should aim for". And that's counter productive.

ALL of the career pld I've ever pt with has huge amount of DPS sets and variations. Some people even have 7+ PLD ambuscade back and more than half of them are for different WSs. So it's certainly not a weird thing to do.

AL of the career PLD I've ever pt with DPS in pt at some point, some of them parse fairly equal or close to a top end REMA DD BRD, roughly 16% ish in a pretty fast VD fight, almost 1/3 of another 2h DD.

still weaker than RUN, but it's not something like 3% or 5%.

None of them ever lose hate when they tank unless DD caps hate. None of them die when they tank too, so PLD isn't sacrificing anything to DPS.

So why shouldn't PLD DD? It makes no sense.

That's a strawman, though I shouldn't be surprised as you do this literally every time you argue with me. I never said that people should INTEND TO NOT do damage. That's ridiculous, and you KNEW nobody was saying that before you said it, so why did you?

You and your damn smear tactics, Jesus Christ.

Also if your single wielding BRD or PLD get 1/3 of the damage of your DD's or higher, replace your DD's.

The only way it's possible to do that when the PLD is TPing in their DT set is if your DD's are actually trash.

Resort to Personal attack yeah?

If the DDs are trash, we wouldn't clear VD in 3 min when majority of good pt clear in 4-5 and some even need 10 min, otherwise any pt took more than 3 min to get VD wins are trash beyond trash.

How fast is your VD run this month before you make cheap argument like "your DDs are trash"? I would love to see some kind of super saiyan DD from your party that beats VD in less than 2 min without MS and trashes 99% of VD pt in community.

Arguments like this is just a cheap tactic to win the internet argument, anyways.

So no. Maybe you just never pt with PLD and BRD that goes all out and play really offensively. 33% of a real DD is damn reasonable for a top end DD BRD, assuming the DD didn't MS. Unless majority of community are beating VD sub 2 min our DDs aren't "trash", at very minimum it's avg like most other DDs you see in game.

Nobody says PLD TP in DT set btw, I said they play offensively.

I never said that people should INTEND TO NOT do damage.

It sure sound like it because the OP was asking info on how to DPS in the middle of dps discussion, then you popped and say something completely irrelevant and discouraging to PLD DPSing.

Don't you run from this. You are the one that claimed your PLD could do 1/3 of the DPS of your 2 handed DD's. Show me a PLD doing sword and board breaking 3.5k DPS. I'm not even mad anymore, I'm genuinely interested.

Also, in any content where PLD does not need to even use DT sets, and can focus entirely on DPS, it's not threatening enough to warrant bringing PLD in the first place. PLD's whole shtick is being able to mitigate damage. If the content is easy enough that you do not need to do that, you shouldn't be using PLD. PLD on this months VD for instance was completely unnecessary, I was getting 4 minute kills in VD this month while *** TRIBOXING. This month was easy, stop beating your chest.

1) Where did you get the numbers that PLD needs to break 3.5k DPS to do 1/3 of real DD's dmg?

3500 x3= 10500.

So you are implying that a super saiyan 2h DD from another planet, not using MS nor fighting mobs with damage taken + mechanics, breaks 10500 DPS on scoreboard?

Now I'm the one who genuinely intersted. Post a video of a DD breaks 10500 DPS in on scoreboard in endgame, I'll shut up. Because asides from WAR with MS or dmg taken + mechnics, I've never seen that kind of number on scoreboard, even if they do happen it's just for very short time. nor I get that kind of DPS on spreadsheet/sim. 7-8k is most I get from spreadsheet/sim with maxed geared 2h. In real situations on scoreboard DDs don't even reach that number.

So why would PLD needs to break 3.5k on scoreboard to do 1/3 of another DD?

Honestly, I feel you are just trolling at this point. This just doesn't make any sense.

2) We have PLD that wants to play PLD, so they are there.

3) If you're not killing faster than everyone else, don't use "your DDs are trash" as a cheap tactic to win an internet argument.

Rune fencer can break 10~12k DPS on Apex Bats, which is outside of Escha zones so no STR vorseal. It does require optimal pulls and good teamwork; as well as at least BRD GEO COR buffs, but this IS a thing. And they take extra damage from piercing, not slashing.
By Afania 2018-08-04 04:31:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Verbannt said: »
Use the quote if you must but FFS quit putting words in other peoples mouth.

I didn't though, I simply explained how spreadsheet works when people aren't getting the ideas right.

FFS IF SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING, THEN THAT IS WHAT THEY SAID

This is what they said:

Quote:
Or you should stop worrying about doing DPS on paladin because it is overwhelmingly counterproductive. By focusing on damage, you sacrifice the one thing people are actually inviting you for. If you want to do damage, play a DD.

God forbid people ask how to DD on pld forum, only to get posts from a guy to tell them they "should" not DD on PLD.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 04:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Besides, you can get far more than that if you get into the more gimmicky territory of hybrid WS.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 04:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't though, I simply explained how spreadsheet works when people aren't getting the ideas right.

This is what they said:

Quote:
Or you should stop worrying about doing DPS on paladin because it is overwhelmingly counterproductive. By focusing on damage, you sacrifice the one thing people are actually inviting you for. If you want to do damage, play a DD.

God forbid people ask how to DD on pld forum, only to get posts from a guy to tell them they "should" not DD on PLD.

I simply said they shouldn't worry over it. That's not the same as advocating to AVOID doing damage.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2018-08-04 04:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, you literally said it can’t account for accuracy when it can. that’s a direct quote. as for the other things, the only thing my newer ones don’t account for is paralyze. they even have a built in roll simulation to find an average when using qultard. unless you want me to add white mage reaction times and debuff removal priorities, among other pointless ***, there is no reason to account for debilitating buffs on the players. for any dps related variables, i can and have been when i have time available
By Afania 2018-08-04 04:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The guy who asked about burtang and wanted to min max on PLD doesn't need advice like "please don't focus on DD". We're not giving suggestions to a new player here. But new players that read this may think "oh, so not doing dps is what I should aim for". And that's counter productive.

ALL of the career pld I've ever pt with has huge amount of DPS sets and variations. Some people even have 7+ PLD ambuscade back and more than half of them are for different WSs. So it's certainly not a weird thing to do.

AL of the career PLD I've ever pt with DPS in pt at some point, some of them parse fairly equal or close to a top end REMA DD BRD, roughly 16% ish in a pretty fast VD fight, almost 1/3 of another 2h DD.

still weaker than RUN, but it's not something like 3% or 5%.

None of them ever lose hate when they tank unless DD caps hate. None of them die when they tank too, so PLD isn't sacrificing anything to DPS.

So why shouldn't PLD DD? It makes no sense.

That's a strawman, though I shouldn't be surprised as you do this literally every time you argue with me. I never said that people should INTEND TO NOT do damage. That's ridiculous, and you KNEW nobody was saying that before you said it, so why did you?

You and your damn smear tactics, Jesus Christ.

Also if your single wielding BRD or PLD get 1/3 of the damage of your DD's or higher, replace your DD's.

The only way it's possible to do that when the PLD is TPing in their DT set is if your DD's are actually trash.

Resort to Personal attack yeah?

If the DDs are trash, we wouldn't clear VD in 3 min when majority of good pt clear in 4-5 and some even need 10 min, otherwise any pt took more than 3 min to get VD wins are trash beyond trash.

How fast is your VD run this month before you make cheap argument like "your DDs are trash"? I would love to see some kind of super saiyan DD from your party that beats VD in less than 2 min without MS and trashes 99% of VD pt in community.

Arguments like this is just a cheap tactic to win the internet argument, anyways.

So no. Maybe you just never pt with PLD and BRD that goes all out and play really offensively. 33% of a real DD is damn reasonable for a top end DD BRD, assuming the DD didn't MS. Unless majority of community are beating VD sub 2 min our DDs aren't "trash", at very minimum it's avg like most other DDs you see in game.

Nobody says PLD TP in DT set btw, I said they play offensively.

I never said that people should INTEND TO NOT do damage.

It sure sound like it because the OP was asking info on how to DPS in the middle of dps discussion, then you popped and say something completely irrelevant and discouraging to PLD DPSing.

Don't you run from this. You are the one that claimed your PLD could do 1/3 of the DPS of your 2 handed DD's. Show me a PLD doing sword and board breaking 3.5k DPS. I'm not even mad anymore, I'm genuinely interested.

Also, in any content where PLD does not need to even use DT sets, and can focus entirely on DPS, it's not threatening enough to warrant bringing PLD in the first place. PLD's whole shtick is being able to mitigate damage. If the content is easy enough that you do not need to do that, you shouldn't be using PLD. PLD on this months VD for instance was completely unnecessary, I was getting 4 minute kills in VD this month while *** TRIBOXING. This month was easy, stop beating your chest.

1) Where did you get the numbers that PLD needs to break 3.5k DPS to do 1/3 of real DD's dmg?

3500 x3= 10500.

So you are implying that a super saiyan 2h DD from another planet, not using MS nor fighting mobs with damage taken + mechanics, breaks 10500 DPS on scoreboard?

Now I'm the one who genuinely intersted. Post a video of a DD breaks 10500 DPS in on scoreboard in endgame, I'll shut up. Because asides from WAR with MS or dmg taken + mechnics, I've never seen that kind of number on scoreboard, even if they do happen it's just for very short time. nor I get that kind of DPS on spreadsheet/sim. 7-8k is most I get from spreadsheet/sim with maxed geared 2h. In real situations on scoreboard DDs don't even reach that number.

So why would PLD needs to break 3.5k on scoreboard to do 1/3 of another DD?

Honestly, I feel you are just trolling at this point. This just doesn't make any sense.

2) We have PLD that wants to play PLD, so they are there.

3) If you're not killing faster than everyone else, don't use "your DDs are trash" as a cheap tactic to win an internet argument.

Rune fencer can break 10~12k DPS on Apex Bats, which is outside of Escha zones so no STR vorseal. It does require optimal pulls and good teamwork; as well as at least BRD GEO COR buffs, but this IS a thing. And they take extra damage from piercing, not slashing.

videos of it? I'm not getting 12k DPS on RUN sim nor spreadsheet. And those tools assume DDs engage full time already.

I doubt about it because if RUN is doing 12k DPS(aka trashing every other DD that does 5k in endgame parses) on scoreboard, you should be clearing VD in <2 min. something just isn't right.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2018-08-04 04:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

12K probably involves high damage rolls and skill chains
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 04:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

This is admittedly somewhat cherrypicking, but then again, I expected an equally focused response showing PLD under ideal conditions being able to do 1/3 of that damage.

You could simply admit that it's possible you may have over-exagerated a little, or overlooked that one of your DD's had to turn around for a bit for spikes, or anything like that.

But it's a different thing entirely to say that's how it is if they are actually trying to go toe-to-toe.
By Afania 2018-08-04 04:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what they said:

Quote:

I simply said they shouldn't worry over it. That's not the same as advocating to AVOID doing damage.

That's not helping someone who's asking for info.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 04:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It is involving regal buffs, idris buffs, REMA bard, etc; But not including skillchains. I don't always think it's fair to include skillchains because they can be interrupted in real world scenarios.
By Afania 2018-08-04 04:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with max buffs I'm not getting 12k on sim either, 8kish is max I get from spreadsheet.

In real scenerio its likely to be lower than sim.

I would still prefer a video to see exactly what happened to the scoreboard, people has the tendancy to exaggerate on forums.

And even if 12k is reachable due to certain outburst of DPS, I doubt it's a sustained thing.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 04:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what they said:

Quote:

I could also point out that what I said was on opinion, but that would probably come across as heresy to you that people are allowed to have differing opinions on whether or not doing a certain thing is worth it to different individuals. smh
By Afania 2018-08-04 04:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what they said:

Quote:

I could also point out that what I said was on opinion, but that would probably come across as heresy to you that people are allowed to have differing opinions on whether or not doing a certain thing is worth it to different individuals. smh

Of course you can say your opinion if OP ask "should I DD on PLD". But he didn't.

He asked how to dd better on PLD, on a pld forum, any anwser that didn't provide info is not helping.
By Afania 2018-08-04 04:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

You could simply admit that it's possible you may have over-exagerated a little, or overlooked that one of your DD's had to turn around for a bit for spikes, or anything like that.

We don't turn around for spikes, it's not necessary when everything just melts.

I'm not convinced that my DDs are "trash", best in the world? probably not. At least meets avg standard? I believe so.

I'm not convinced that BRD doing 1/3 of real DD in actual endgame proves DDs are trash too. 1/3 of real DD is damn reasonable, IMO.

On spreadsheet or sim, most 2h DD float between 7-8k DPS, war popping MS is the exception. In real endgame, it's usually a bit lower than what sim or spreadsheet says.

1/3 of 8k is less than 3k DPS, it's a damn reasonable goal for a BRD or PLD to hit under max buffed situations. I'm not claming those jobs do something like 5k, that would be exaggerating. But sub 3k with max buffs while real DDs hitting 8k? I don't belive a BIS BRD has difficulty hitting that number.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 04:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with max buffs I'm not getting 12k on sim either, 8kish is max I get from spreadsheet.

I would still prefer a video to see exactly what happened to the scoreboard, people has the tendancy to exaggerate on forums.

And even if 12k is reachable due to certain outburst of DPS, I doubt it's a sustained thing.

12k wouldn't be sustained, but over 8k probably can be. That should be impossible if 8k is the max on the simulator and real-world scenarios are always less, the issue is, I cannot do this on the fly by myself, as how fast your pulls are, and how far away they are being pulled from (especially on the bats which tend to die after only 3 WS). That obviously gets messy when you're triboxing the GEO and BRD. Even triboxing it wasn't that hard to get to ~8k.

Even on VD ambu where you might be able to go ham, some people forget to reset scoreboard right as Dia lands on the main boss, which will always deflate DPS, simply because there will be alot of time attributed to the scoreboard where you weren't actually fighting. Even just a few dozen seconds make a large difference in a 3 minute fight, after all.

At any rate when I get the ability to, I will post a video.

The main reason I say so is, I have a video of me breaking 4.5k on RDM, and I was dualboxing, and pulling, and even casting out of menus, so even RDM can probably get to around 6k in ideal situations. It shouldn't really be that surprising that a 2-hander could do better.
By Afania 2018-08-04 04:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

12k wouldn't be sustained, but over 8k probably can be. That should be impossible if 8k is the max on the simulator and real-world scenarios are always less, the issue is, I cannot do this on the fly by myself, as how fast your pulls are, and how far away they are being pulled from (especially on the bats which tend to die after only 3 WS). That obviously gets messy when you're triboxing the GEO and BRD. Even triboxing it wasn't that hard to get to ~8k.

Even on VD ambu where you might be able to go ham, some people forget to reset scoreboard right as Dia lands on the main boss, which will always deflate DPS, simply because there will be alot of time attributed to the scoreboard where you weren't actually fighting. Even just a few dozen seconds make a large difference in a 3 minute fight, after all.

At any rate when I get the ability to, I will post a video.

The main reason I say so is, I have a video of me breaking 4.5k on RDM, and I was dualboxing, and pulling, and even casting out of menus, so even RDM can probably get to around 6k in ideal situations. It shouldn't really be that surprising that a 2-hander could do better.

Except 4.5k dps is within the ballpark of spreadsheet numbers, 12k without MS is not.

I totally believe a RDM can hit 4.5 or even 5.5k because that's what I've seen on paper. I'm just not getting RUN doing 12k on sim, since scoreboard or sim already removed the downtime of DDs not engaging, and it's perfectly reasonable to doubt it if sim result isn't supporting it.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 05:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

There is another thing I would like addressed though, as up until this point, it has been ignored.

In what circumstance would you DPS on PLD in non DT gear, where you couldn't simply go some other job that would do it better? In bard's case, they're going to be in your party anyway, as they are buffing you. In that case it's free damage, you aren't going to be replacing the bard with some other job that could give you songs and do more damage.

In the case of PLD, it's not as straightforward. You can replace it in many of those cases, if the incoming damage was so low you only had to hold a shield and put on phalanx. After all, when you eschew all the gear advantage PLD gets for DT, and PDT/MDT II, why bother using PLD in those circumstances? If we're talking about what is best in those circumstances, RUN w/ Epeo could take less damage AND do more damage at the same time.
Given how many people have Epeo these days, why bother? It's not like it was 3 years ago where only like 4 people have it, virtually every endgame LS has like 3 or more people with Epeo.

It seems almost invariably that in each job forum, people don't want to discuss that under certain circumstances you should just be using something else rather than trying to use a sharpened spoon as a fork. The spork didn't catch on for a reason, it was unnecessary, however convenient it may be. The same could be said for PLD focusing primarily on DPS. Again, I think I've said this at least 5 times by now, CAN PLD DD? yes. Is it recommended?
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 05:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

since scoreboard or sim already removed the downtime of DDs not engaging.

Ah, but not quite. Scoreboard doesn't always stop when you have a bubble out, and that can be an issue if you're playing the DD as well as the GEO, and BRD.

I'm not sure if that's a glitch, but I encounter that fairly often.

The simulator is accurate in this regard; scoreboard, less so.

Another strike against scoreboard is, that it will definitely count pulltime, as the monster is claimed as it is being dragged back to the party, and all of this counts against you.
By Afania 2018-08-04 05:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

There is another thing I would like addressed though, as up until this point, it has been ignored.

In what circumstance would you DPS on PLD in non DT gear, where you couldn't simply go some other job that would do it better? In bard's case, they're going to be in your party anyway, as they are buffing you. In that case it's free damage, you aren't going to be replacing the bard with some other job that could give you songs and do more damage.

In the case of PLD, it's not as straightforward. You can replace it in many of those cases, if the incoming damage was so low you only had to hold a shield and put on phalanx. After all, when you eschew all the gear advantage PLD gets for DT, and PDT/MDT II, why bother using PLD in those circumstances? If we're talking about what is best in those circumstances, RUN w/ Epeo could take less damage AND do more damage at the same time.
Given how many people have Epeo these days, why bother? It's not like it was 3 years ago where only like 4 people have it, virtually every endgame LS has like 3 or more people with Epeo.

because we don't kick people out of the pt if pld is all they had. We're not Asura, endgame here often means we only play with 30 endgame ready people in our connection, and make things work if their job isn't meta or best choice.

We don't just go "oh RUN is a better DD tank so Im going to shout for a DD RUN even if pld from ls wants to join", it just doesn't work that way.

obviously, I'm not here to preach DD pld being the best choice for DD tanking. But damn, it's been 20 times that I said this: If someone ask for advice about how to DD better on PLD, they don't need replies like "PLD should not DD" or "DD PLD is not recommended". It's not answering his question.
By Afania 2018-08-04 05:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, but not quite. Scoreboard doesn't always stop when you have a bubble out, and that can be an issue if you're playing the DD as well as the GEO, and BRD.

Another strike against scoreboard is, that it will definitely count pulltime, as the monster is claimed as it is being dragged back to the party, and all of this counts against you.

Err, it was typo from my end(6am so....). "Spreadsheet" or sim doesn't count the disengage time. So if sim says RUN DPS ceiling is 7-8k engaged full time, where did that additional 4k come from? It's not a small number.

Without the video it's hard to see exactly what was going on, to give you an accurate answer if BRD and PLD can still hit 1/3 of that number under exactly the same circumstances.

But in normal endgame content, none MS DD float between 3-5k on scoreboard, 1/3 of that means 1kish, less than 2, how is it not possible for a BRD to hit that goal?
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 05:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Err, it was typo from my end(6am so....). "Spreadsheet" or sim doesn't count the disengage time. So if sim says RUN DPS ceiling is 7-8k engaged full time, where did that additional 4k come from? It's not a small number.

Scoreboard sometimes stop sometimes doesn't if you have a claimed mob.

In my case it came from RUN with temper @PDIF cap with 4 Corsair rolls, (Crooked) SAM+ Chaos 11, Fighter's roll Crooked 11, Miser's 11, (all regal) using:

ItemSet 360398

Obviously with Fury/Frailty and HM(Marc) (VM) Minu5 Minu4.

Lust Cap+1 Path A
Adhemar +1 Path B
Herc Boots : 15 STR Acc/Attack 10 Triple Attack 3
Herc Hands : 15 STR Acc/Attack 15 Triple Attack 3

TP uses +1 Adhemar+1 hands(A), +1 Bonnet (A), Herc boots with 7 DEX Acc 27 TA 4. Herc Body Acc 30 TA 4, Brutal/Sherida/Lissome/Ioskeha+1 etc.

Again, regarding the buffs, I never said they weren't cherry-picked.

With the Fighters roll, using more of the Lustratio set is probably better, I'd say at least the feet are worth swapping, possibly the body. Definitely not hands though, they lose in STR and multi-attack.

So my set isn't perfect but still.
 Leviathan.Katriina
Server: Leviathan
user: kate99
By Leviathan.Katriina 2018-08-04 05:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Possibly better results with Lust+1 Body Path A and Adhemar + 1 hands Path B.[also Knobkierrie]

But:
using qultard

Can we take a break and enjoy this grandiloquent name?

I'm naming the next "monster rearing" that...thanks!
[possibly a slime]
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 06:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

because we don't kick people out of the pt if pld is all they had. We're not Asura, endgame here often means we only play with 30 endgame ready people in our connection, and make things work if their job isn't meta or best choice.

We don't just go "oh RUN is a better DD tank so Im going to shout for a DD RUN even if pld from ls wants to join", it just doesn't work that way.

obviously, I'm not here to preach DD pld being the best choice for DD tanking. But damn, it's been 20 times that I said this: If someone ask for advice about how to DD better on PLD, they don't need replies like "PLD should not DD" or "DD PLD is not recommended". It's not answering his question.

From this perspective I almost entirely agree. There is one, slightly pedantic disagreement that I would make. There has to be a spot for "The buck stops here". You wouldn't allow a GEO to DD, most groups probably wouldn't accept a MNK, unless they knew for a fact that MNK had very competent gear. In my case, it's not about what people can or can't do, or even refusing to answer hypothetical questions. I prefer to give more practical advice, and if that means suggesting someone spend their time on something more efficient, or that would work in more cases; I'm going to recommend that.

If I have an LS mate that wants to come PLD, instead of saying "Yeah, but your DD set better be good!" I simply work around the fact that we have a PLD. And if they asked me honestly if they should focus on making their PLD do more damage, I would simply say, "It's more worth your time to work on a job that specializes in DPS if you're finding yourself in alot of content where DPS is needed, and you don't have that."

Does that make more sense now? I'm not being a Nazi, and saying you MUST do it a certain way, but I feel like people deserve to know if what they are doing is (this time better put) not very productive. If they live in an echo chamber where people will always agree with them and only tell them what they want to hear, they stop growing as a player.

This is why I would argue (and this is on opinion) If someone were to ask "How do I get better at DPS on GEO?" I may not answer their question at all, and simply say not to bother with DPS on GEO, or I may humor them and reply, but still suggest that they don't do that. That isn't really outside of my right to say so. The same thing is more or less true of PLD, only that it's easier to justify why a PLD shouldn't, because unlike the buffer jobs, it can be replaced. Bard's usefulness of being able to do SOME damage, is that it can't be replaced anyhow, and it already has the buffs on it anyway. It would be silly to not pull out your dagger and contribute a little more. The analogy breaks down for PLD. They are not irreplaceable.

I would advocate that player STILL spend that effort and money, only I would suggest they do so elsewhere, where it will have a greater impact over their ability to play in different situations, rather than try to make their PLD a jack of all trades. Especially when they are considering dropping hundreds of millions in order to get an extra 15% damage on a job that wasn't contributing even 1/3 what other DD's were, and had to forgo their DT gear to even do that.

In my opinion that effort would be better spent gearing out that job they "simply didn't have", that way next time I invite them I won't have to make due, because they won't be a one-trick pony.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 07:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

~35k wsavg on scoreboard, lots of hits in the low 40k's, a few lower 50k's and a few in the high 20's and low 30's.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-04 07:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently it was 39k, my friend kept the scoreboard and I had cleared it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By soralin 2018-08-04 12:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You are making justifications on how to use a different weapon than burtgang

I don't think anyone is. We're just talking about excalibur. Rest assured if I *had* a burtgang I definitly would be using it, don't worry about that. I just have Excalibur.

Question was this: Savage blade vs CDC vs KoR with Excalibur. Not how Excalibur compares to other swords, I am fully aware of the pros and cons of the DREAM swords and what they each provide and lack. People that respond with 'Dont DPS as Pld' or 'Just go RMT gil and make a Burtgang you noob' are talking about stuff orthogonal to the discussion.

Not all of us can just pull 200m out of thin air, it took me 3 weeks to make my excalibur and now I'm out of Voidstones, so my #1 money source is gone and I'll have to resort to slower methods. Bleh.

Do Not Sub War. It is a waste of time, lazy pld sub war.
Sub blue, use cocoon, have more spells for hate, have AoE hate tools.

Blu has its pros and cons, but anyone who ever claims a particular sub is better than another doesnt know the #1 motto of FFXI: "***is Situational"

A good pld should have every sub required available, thats completely orthogonal to the discussion. And no one even talked about being /war in particular except for one mention of JP farming, which is not the right time to sub blu.

Master that. Solo tank albumen on an 18 man melee run then we can talk about having room to build DD sets.

If you put "Then we can talk about x" or "Now we can talk about y" in your post, especially at the end, you come across as very rude and condescending, which will make most people instantly disregard your entire point as the words of a rude person.
[+]
By soralin 2018-08-04 12:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

And to clarify because people seem to be losing their minds:

I solo a tonne of content, or duo/trio box it with a Geo and Whm + trusts.

So yeah, maximizing my damage is definitely a valid priority.

Similarly between me and the RME DD this month on Ambuscade, between the two of us I was hitting around 15~18% of the damage, and the DD most of the remaining 82~85%.

Which effectively breaks down to me speeding that fight up by a decent chunk and expediting our success. So yes, like it or not, on fights where I don't have to worry about TP spam on the monster.. I'm gonna beat it down and live my realest dream.

If a fresh new 99 pld asked me what to get first though, I'd tell them Souv+1 gear, moonbeam rings+cape, start up a world pass invite asap so they can work towards gold moogle belt, and Warder's charm+1

I would let them know that once their turtle set, enmity set, 102% SIRD set, Phalanx set, Phalanx+SIRD set, Fast Cast set, and Cure Potency sets are all complete, they will want to start working on their Hybrid DD set.

And I have all of those things and in situational degrees. So don't worry, I've got all my bases covered. My paladin has over 120 slots of gear used up in my Mog Wardrobes, I'm quite fine on every other front.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 46 47 48 ... 137 138 139