Forum » Windower » Support » OS-X installation
OS-X installation
 Odin.Godmode
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Tyseng
By Odin.Godmode 2015-02-26 21:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys, I used to play on Bootcamp but I really don't care for booting into Windows then rebooting OS-X. It is much more convenient for me to access things on OS-X while playing FFXI.

I know for awhile Windower didn't support anything except Bootcamp/Parallels and Parallels didn't work out so nice for me when I tried that on FFXI. Does anyone have any suggestions for me that work? I havee no problem using Ashita either if Windower isn't going to work. I just would like to use one of the two.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-26 21:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Parralels should work, but I know that XI will run in vmware, so if nothing else try out the free trial of vmware fusion:

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_fusion/7_0?rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDYQFjAB&url=https://www.vmware.com/go/downloadfusion&ei=d-nvVN_KBIHEggSTo4LQDA&usg=AFQjCNGTOJhw_VFo9a6FSVM20UBtYGZWXQ&sig2=Hltg0JS47qaVd99BDzrGog&bvm=bv.87269000,d.eXY

Or you know you could just run Windows, cuz OSX blows but hey.
 Odin.Godmode
By Odin.Godmode 2015-02-26 22:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

@Jetackuu thanks for the reply. I didn't really care for Parallels when I tried it a couple years back. It would crash quite a bit. I can give VMWare a try, just didn't want to install a full version of Windows if someone had a lighter weight solution.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-26 22:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless SE decides to release a copy of XI for Mac your option are either to dual boot, virtualize or try something like this:

https://www.codeweavers.com/

which looks to just be app based virtualization instead of a full OS install, that way may be difficult to run windower/ashita, unlike the other two.

Macs aren't meant for games, they're glorified toy computers.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Behemothx
Server: Leviathan
user: BehemothZ
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2015-02-26 22:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I use FFXI in Parallels everyday, it's been working fine since v7... I have no idea what issue you had with it, I even get a steady 29.9/30.0 fps in it.

Jet: We get it, you don't like something you've never tried. Why are you so afraid of other things you ms fanboy.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-26 22:39:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Behemothx said: »
I use FFXI in Parallels everyday, it's been working fine since v7... I have no idea what issue you had with it, I even get a steady 29.9/30.0 fps in it.

Jet: We get it, you don't like something you've never tried. Why are you so afraid of other things you ms fanboy.

lol, you think I've never tried it, that's funny.
 Leviathan.Behemothx
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2015-02-26 22:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You clearly haven't. And no, there's nothing funny here.
 Odin.Godmode
By Odin.Godmode 2015-02-26 22:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

@Behemothx Hmm, not sure. I'm trying out Wineskin right now. It seems to be something that's lightweight which is also what I was looking for. I'll post results.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-26 22:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

On another note: OP, there's also virtualbox but I've never gotten a virtualbox guest to do direct3d acceleration properly (which XI needs), I've gotten it partial but not 100%.

Parralels and Vmware both do it well, the downside is that neither are free. (well vmware player for windows is free, but yeah...)
 Leviathan.Behemothx
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2015-02-26 22:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You won't be able to use windower/ashita with wine, I'd stick with Parallels, it works without any issues. Just make sure you use Win7 as guest OS to minimize problems.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-26 22:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godmode said: »
Wineskin
Ah, that should work. They said that the next version of windower may work with wine, but it's yet to be determined, etc.
 Odin.Godmode
By Odin.Godmode 2015-02-26 22:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

@Jetackuu I don't mind paying for it. I just want something stable and lightweight that works with Windower/Ashita. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

@Behemothx Dang! I hope you're wrong lol I'm mid-installation. I have a copy of my ffxi files from my Windows 7 partition. So should know in 30 mins.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-26 22:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godmode said: »
@Jetackuu I don't mind paying for it. I just want something stable and lightweight that works with Windower/Ashita. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Probably not going to get that, a VM is your best bet for works with either of those and stable.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-26 22:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean you could run your VM with some scripts to make it autologin and launch the program to speed it up a bit, 2GB of ram should be more than enough, it's what I throw at mine.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [115 days between previous and next post]
By Reih 2015-06-21 14:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It might be a tad late but I'm using Wineskin ( http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com )as of June 2015 and FFXI works perfectly on my MacBook Pro Reina 13".

Used Windows 7 settings for it and I had to change the ffxi settings over the registry tool since the ffix-config tool doesn't seem to work.
Use this link http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Graphics to set it up to your needs.

This saved me the whole space a virtual machine takes for a windows installation (aprox 17GB just for Windows 8.1). I also opted for this setting because I only have 128GB on this SSD. Also didn't have to install macports nor homebrew.

Windower doesn't work with Wineskin. Or I still haven't figured it out yet. You still get a nice window to play on.