Wife:Give Up Newborn/down Syndrone Or Get Divorced

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Wife:Give up newborn/down syndrone or get divorced
Wife:Give up newborn/down syndrone or get divorced
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-02-06 13:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Dad Refuses to Give Up Newborn Son With Down Syndrome

When Samuel Forrest of Armenia heard a baby crying from outside his wife's hospital room, he knew his life would change forever.

Not only had he become a father, but he would soon receive some unexpected news about his newborn son.

"This pediatrician walks out of the room with a little bundle -- that was Leo," Forrest said. "She had his face covered up and hospital authorities wouldn't let me see him or my wife. When the doctor came out, he said 'there’s a real problem with your son.'

Forrest followed doctors and nurses into a room where he'd finally get to meet his baby.

"When I walked into the room they all turned to me and said 'Leo has Down syndrome," he told ABC News. "I had a few moments of shock."

After the news had sunk in, Forrest held Leo for the very first time.

"They took me in see him and I looked at this guy and I said, he's beautiful -- he's perfect and I'm absolutely keeping him."

Soon Forrest walked into his wife's hospital room with Leo in his arms.

Her reaction was unlike one he ever expected.

"I got the ultimatum right then," he said. "She told me if I kept him then we would get a divorce."

Attempts to reach the hospital for comment weren't immediately successful. The baby's mother, Ruzan Badalyan, told ABC News that she did have a child with Down syndrome and she has left her husband, who has the child, but she declined to elaborate.

Forrest, who's from Auckland, New Zealand, said he was completely unaware of the hospital practices in Armenia when it came to children.

"What happens when a baby like this is born here, they will tell you that you don’t have to keep them," he said. "My wife had already decided, so all of this was done behind my back."

Despite his wife's warnings, Forrest said he never had a doubt in his mind that he would hold onto his son.

One week after his birth, Leo's mom filed for divorce.

"It's not what I want," Forrest said. "I didn’t even have a chance to speak with her in privately about it."

Forrest, who works as a freelance business contractor, has plans for he and Leo to move to his native country of New Zealand where he said they'll receive support from loved ones.

In the meantime, he's enlisted for some help on his GoFundMe page titled "Bring Leo Home."

"This really came out of the blue for me," he said. "I don’t have a lot, I have very little in fact. The goal is to raise enough for a year so I can get a part-time job so Leo doesn't have to be in daycare and I can help care for him. He's lost a lot in two weeks. It'd be different if he had his mommy."

Forrest has recently been working with disability awareness groups to share his story in the hopes that parents will become better educated on children with special needs.

"After what I've been through with Leo, I'm not going to sit back and watch babies be sent to orphanages," he said. "As a child with Down syndrome, that becomes somewhat of a label. If we can get around this label, we’ll see that they’re normal. They’re a little different from us, but they’re still normal.

"They all have niches and I want to work hard to find out where Leo's special. This little guy is great."

Source
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 14:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
If we can get around this label, we’ll see that they’re normal. They’re a little different from us, but they’re still normal.

This is not logically consistent.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 14:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Props to him for taking the hard road and loving the child. At the same time, even in the United States mothers can give any child up for adoption. Disabled or otherwise. So I don't really blame her, either, for not being prepared to raise a child with Downs.

It is unfortunate, in my mind, that they didn't discuss these possibilities before electing to become pregnant, and I think it shows an extreme lack of foresight regarding being a parent on behalf of both of them. If they weren't of a like mind on this topic, they shouldn't have conceived.

They also could have probably predicted this through prenatal testing and aborted at an earlier stage as well.

But, I forget sometimes, family planning is against God. And abortion is the devil.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-02-06 14:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would they have chosen to abort? Clearly this man wanted the child, regardless of his condition.

"Welp, he's got the Down's. I guess we can't love him."
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 14:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Why would they have chosen to abort? Clearly this man wanted the child, regardless of his condition.

But the wife did not. (The one who has to carry the child and give birth to it.)

Please don't assume I speak from my own feelings on the subject but...yeah. Some people feel that way. A lot of people, in fact.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 14:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people consider it mercy.

Not saying I agree or disagree, and honestly I don't know what I'd do or have done if I was in that situation.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-02-06 14:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously, a man goes out of his way to care for and love a child with a mental problem, and all you guys can talk about are his definition of normal and how they should have aborted it? You people are sick. Also, give the man a medal.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 14:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The pragmatic side of me says I would have had prenatal care done for my wife all along, and we'd have known ahead of time and considered aborting and trying again. (All theoretical, of course, as we've no intention of children). The "feels" side of me, I don't know. I really don't.

That said, if we didn't know ahead of time and the child was born as such, well, that's life. I'd like to say I'd play the hand I was dealt.

But hey. Some people fold.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 14:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously, a man goes out of his way to care for and love a child with a mental problem, and all you guys can talk about are his definition of normal and how they should have aborted it? You people are sick. Also, give the man a medal.

I'm not saying they should have aborted should have. I think what he's doing is admirable. It was the first thing I said.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 14:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

There you go getting emotional again.

We're not sick, well at least I'm not, Ramy you got a cold or anything right now?

edit: I already said my opinion piece:

Jetackuu said: »
Not saying I agree or disagree, and honestly I don't know what I'd do or have done if I was in that situation.

I don't really feel the need to go into that hypothetical as I don't plan on having more children anytime soon, I'll consider it if at such a time I change my mind on spawning again.
By Bloodrose 2015-02-06 14:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I might be sick, my balls are itchy.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 14:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »

May want to go get that checked out.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-06 14:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

May want to go get that checked out.
Or wash once in a while.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-06 14:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Problem solved. Was just a case of itchy nuts.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 14:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Things like that should be discussed well in advance to even living together.

This is sort of what I'm all about right here.

For what it's worth, hindsight is 20/20. I think he's making the best of an unfortunate situation, and good on him for it.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-06 14:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Caring for a special needs child, or any child, irrevocably changes your life forever. But a special needs child, 10x more so. Now, I don't think there's alot to say about personal choice in this, about abortion really people's stance is based entirely on the point they believe life begins and not any differing morality on killing babies. Personally, if modern science would let me know that my child would have serious medical issues and it was early enough term and I had the choice to abort I would. If my wife disagreed I'd wonder how I let myself get into this mess. Key here is I wouldn't. Things like that should be discussed well in advance to even living together. The thing is stressful situations can change people's minds. And alot of people can't afford the tests. But then if you can't afford the tests how you gonna afford a kid which is estimated to take 2 million to raise to maturity? People are just dumb in that regard. Unprepared parents make for alot of adults that are bad for society as a whole. While I don't think we should go as far as requiring a certification to be a parent because that would never solve anything, sometimes I really wish something that simple was an adequate answer to such complicated problems.
It's actually estimated to be between $250,000 to $400,000 (depending on area) to raise from birth to majority, considering the average person won't make more than 1.2million dollars in less than 34 years, at current minimum wage standards. And, the majority of those costs come during the primary developmental stages.

***, I'd be happy if I was worth 2 million dollars to raise from birth to 18. Then again, there are subsidies that can be applied for, and other cost cutting measures that make raising a child easier to care for, in a financial sense.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2015-02-06 14:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

How can a doctor appear and say: "there is a real problem with your son"?

Wrong, the problem isnt the kid, the problem are the others, that cant see how life is such an unique thing that must be preserved, as well anyone that see a child and feel anything but love.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 14:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

there are subsidies that can be applied for

WELFARE QUEEN. STOP ADVOCATING YOUR WELFARE LIFESTYLE.

*sigh*

I feel dirty having said that, even as a joke.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 14:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

Wrong, the problem isnt the kid, the problem are the others, that cant see how life is such an unique thing that must be preserved, as well anyone that see a child and feel anything but love.
That's your opinion, you're entitled to it, and other people are entitled to the opinion that it's a narrow minded view on the world.

Not bashing on people who feel that way, just stop bashing on the people who don't.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 14:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

Okay, let's put the brakes on this line of thought for a second.

Downs Syndrome is a major genetic defect that is going to irrevocably change the life of the child and parent both from the expected projected norm.

It is a major problem. It's not a problem that can't be overcome, but it is a problem.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 14:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

*sigh*

Yes government assistance is strictly for the rich via tax cuts and subsidies. Get off our money you filthy poor.
Even some subsidies for the poor in turn are just subsidies for businesses.

It's a ***, huh?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 14:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

FYI, if you're of the opinion that disability and welfare are awful and should be gutted, I hope you're ready to put a lot of people with Downs and comprable intellectual disabilities, and their accompanying utter lack of adaptive functioning, on the street with no way to fend for themselves.
By Bloodrose 2015-02-06 14:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

*sigh*

Funny thing is, certain subsidized programs require a repayment effort, or other kind of effort into finding better paying work, or upgrading skills for better paying work.

Since it's only the minority of people who abuse the system, it actually has long term pay-offs for the general public, and for the individual families that require the assistance.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 14:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

FYI, if you're of the opinion that disability and welfare are awful and should be gutted, I hope you're ready to put a lot of people with Downs and comprable intellectual disabilities, and their accompanying utter lack of adaptive functioning, on the street with no way to fend for themselves.

But we have to stop the people abusing the system, who cares if people who literally survive on assistance suffer?

/sarcasm
By Bloodrose 2015-02-06 14:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

"LIFE BEGINS AT CONCEPTION!"

"Get off our money, you welfare queens!"
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 14:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Since it's only the minority of people who abuse the system, it actually has long term pay-offs for the general public, and for the individual families that require the assistance.

Get out of here with your crazy CanaCommie talk.
First Page 2 3 4 5