San Antonio Passes Hands-free Law, Enacted On 1/1

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » San Antonio passes hands-free law, enacted on 1/1
San Antonio passes hands-free law, enacted on 1/1
First Page 2 3 4
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-02 08:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

In case anyone in San Antonio missed it

There's a new law prohibiting the use of a cell phone, tablets, and laptops by the driver of a vehicle while the vehicle is in a non-parked state. (aka in motion or on a paved road)

I'm sure some people will complain about it (especially those who are not from San Antonio), but I for one wonder what took the city so long to pass this.

side note: Austin passed a similar law.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-01-02 08:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta agree with ya king (/shudders). With the exception of emergency personal (cops, ambulances, fire dept) ppl should be off there ***. I also gotta wonder how bad it got, and what the f*** is wrong with ppl, when something like tablets and laptops have to be included in a law for items not to use while driving....
[+]
By fonewear 2015-01-02 08:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So I can't play FFXI while I'm driving my car in San Antonio ?

[+]
 Siren.Sieha
Server: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2015-01-02 08:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Farmville on your ipad? seems to fit just right on your steering wheel. surely nothing will happen if you take a quick look down.

do we really need those people anyways?
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-01-02 09:04:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sieha said: »
Farmville on your ipad? seems to fit just right on your steering wheel. surely nothing will happen if you take a quick look down.

do we really need those people anyways?
Perhaps not those people, but maybe the mother of three that just got T-boned because Captain Smoove was texting one of his several "honeys".
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2015-01-02 09:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess internet devices can be classified as "communication device" so guess they're going to have to go back a few gens and bust out the gameboy advance SP for driving and gaming

In my area, texting/etc. is a secondary offense only. You can't get pulled over for just texting, but if you're texting and also *** up while driving, then that's where you get hammered
By Bloodrose 2015-01-02 09:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Calgary Passed a similar law like this a few years ago, but has had to update it since, due to the general wording of the original law.

However, anything considered a distraction to the operator of a motor vehicle which is designed to take the attention away from the road and other motorists, were already an active law already on the books, but never enforced.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-02 09:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
I guess internet devices can be classified as "communication device" so guess they're going to have to go back a few gens and bust out the gameboy advance SP for driving and gaming
Can't even use the device according to the ordnance.

It covers more than just tablets and laptops, it covers all handheld devices.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-02 09:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ridiculous that a number of dumbass drivers who can't multitask have screwed it up for the rest of us resulting in this nanny state garbage. I can't wait for the outrageous fines to be handed out by cops waiting in ambush on the side of the road. Modern-day highwaymen, they might as well blow out my tires to feed state coffers.

I've been driving and texting at the same time since I was 16 and never had any issues paying attention on the freeway. People need to react better and simply stay off the road if they're gonna ***it up for everyone else.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-01-02 09:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

does that count women that are doing there make up while driving /grin
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-01-02 09:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I've been driving and texting at the same time since I was 16

i think that says everything we need to know about him'
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-02 09:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The nanny state of Texas strikes again!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-02 09:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

According to the ordnance, it said operation of a handheld device. A good lawyer would use this ordnance to mean any object held in order for it to be used, so I guess so.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-02 09:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
If we are going to nanny corporations and businesses, don't complain when we are also going to nanny individuals at the same time....
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-02 09:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been driving and texting at the same time since I was 16

i think that says everything we need to know about him'

If you wanna wreck because you can't be arsed to pay attention while operating a motor vehicle then feel free to. Highway guard rails don't cost that much.

This is basically just a state extortion scheme under the pretenses of making you safer. It won't make anyone safe, just force drivers to sneak texts and probably cause more crashes.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-02 09:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If we are going to nanny corporations and businesses, don't complain when we are also going to nanny individuals at the same time....
The joke was Texas being known as a nanny state... although...
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-01-02 09:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ridiculous that a number of dumbass drivers who can't multitask have screwed it up for the rest of us resulting in this nanny state garbage. I can't wait for the outrageous fines to be handed out by cops waiting in ambush on the side of the road. Modern-day highwaymen, they might as well blow out my tires to feed state coffers.

I've been driving and texting at the same time since I was 16 and never had any issues paying attention on the freeway. People need to react better and simply stay off the road if they're gonna ***it up for everyone else.
You are fooling yourself.

Its as dangerous as a .15 blood alcohol level. And yes, many drive drunk and don't crash therefore thinking that they are safe and somehow special.

Shortbus kinda special.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-02 09:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If you wanna wreck because you can't be arsed to pay attention while operating a motor vehicle then feel free to. Highway guard rails don't cost that much.
Guard rails are not there to help you pay attention to the road. They are there to prevent a more serious injury if a person falls off the road at specific areas.

This is basically just a state extortion scheme under the pretenses of making you safer.
Actually, this is a city ordnance. Neither state nor federal law. Good try to place blame on something that doesn't control this.

It won't make anyone safe, just force drivers to sneak texts and probably cause more crashes.
Yes, let's protect people who break laws into breaking more laws.

Yes, this is a minor infraction, but it is an infraction nonetheless.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-01-02 09:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

According to the ordnance, it said operation of a handheld device. A good lawyer would use this ordnance to mean any object held in order for it to be used, so I guess so.
I wonder if handheld devices include firearms.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-02 09:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

All I want to do is be able to roll a blunt while smoking a cigarette, do some lines, surf the internet a little while drinking a beer, and watch a movie while I'm driving without getting harassed. Is that too much to ask?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-02 09:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

Its as dangerous as a .15 blood alcohol level. And yes, many drive drunk and don't crash therefore thinking that they are safe and somehow special.

Shortbus kinda special.
Opinion.

Some people can multitask, other people cannot.

Hell most of the people that are on the road shouldn't be, because a lot of people forget what a signal indicator is for when changing lanes, or what this is:

edit: while I'll concede that since a lot of people can't operate a motor vehicle properly, and people are generally too stupid to know their own limitations, this is probably a good thing.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-02 09:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

All I want to do is be able to roll a blunt while smoking a cigarette, do some lines, surf the internet a little while drinking a beer, and watch a movie while I'm driving without getting harassed. Is that too much to ask?
Yes.

/comfort
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-02 09:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The joke was Texas being known as a nanny state... although...
To be honest, I don't consider this to be a "nanny law" although I can see the argument itself.

It's there because idiots like Sparth either creates accidents or drives erratically enough to have others cause accidents.

Laws like this is to help prevent these types of accidents from happening:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-02 09:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-02 09:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Guard rails are not there to help you pay attention to the road. They are there to prevent a more serious injury if a person falls off the road at specific areas.

And if you crash, we need only replace a small stretch of it after we clean up the wreck. If you want to drive and text, take responsibility if you decide to crash. Again, I've never had any problems doing 70-80 on the freeway while texting walls of text.

People need to stop relying on laws to keep them safe. Either commit to not driving/texting or take responsibility.

Quote:
Actually, this is a city ordnance. Neither state nor federal law. Good try to place blame on something that doesn't control this.

A city that wants to make money on the backs of law-abiding citizens. I can drive and text just fine, why do I need to be punished because some dumbass flipped his SUV over a Facebook notification?

Quote:
Yes, let's protect people who break laws into breaking more laws.

Yes, this is a minor infraction, but it is an infraction nonetheless.

Soon breathing too hard will be against the law. Don't you see how this literally accomplishes nothing?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-02 09:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »

Shortbus kinda special.
Opinion.

Some people can multitask, other people cannot.

Hell most of the people that are on the road shouldn't be, because a lot of people forget what a signal indicator is for when changing lanes, or what this is:

edit: while I'll concede that since a lot of people can't operate a motor vehicle properly, and people are generally too stupid to know their own limitations, this is probably a good thing.
Actually, a study has been done that it is more dangerous to text while driving than it is to drink and drive

Side note: This source is a little opinionated, so take it with a grain of salt I guess.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-01-02 10:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

damn...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-01-02 10:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people overestimate their abilities. Yeah some people can do it, but some think they can and they can't. And when they try, they can end up killing people or themselves.

Hell, even the people who can are diverting some of their attention and it's pretty likely they will eventually run in to a situation where they aren't going to be paying enough attention.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-02 10:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

And if you crash, we need only replace a small stretch of it after we clean up the wreck. If you want to drive and text, take responsibility if you decide to crash. Again, I've never had any problems doing 70-80 on the freeway while texting walls of text.

People need to stop relying on laws to keep them safe. Either commit to not driving/texting or take responsibility.

Laws are often made to discourage people from doing things that are generally stupid, especially when said things could cause injury or death to innocent bystanders. The bolded part is one of those things. "I do it and I've never had a problem" is one of the worst arguments against a law ever by the way, because everyone who has ever had something bad happen as a result of doing something stupid was able to say the same thing before it happened.

Example: "I drink all the time right before driving and I've never killed no one!" Is this a valid excuse to not have a law against drinking and driving?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-02 10:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

All it takes is one time for Spath to hit/kill somebody.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4