Forum » Windower » Support » Crashing in Whitegate
Crashing in Whitegate
 Odin.Tamoa
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-12-31 05:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure where to post this (since I don't know what's causing it), but for a while now I've had this issue where my game will crash in Whitegate for no apparent reason. I'm simply running from A to B and boom! game crashes. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing it? When it started happening, I'd made no changes to plugins, addons or anything of the sort.
By Nyruul 2014-12-31 05:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you play on Windows 8? I vaguely remember a link to an issue in White Gate involving win8.
 Odin.Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-12-31 05:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope, Windows 7. I've literally made no changes to anything in game or on my pc, it just started happening out of the blue around 3 months ago or so.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-12-31 05:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

you say you've made no changes, but that's unlikely.. some things that change pretty subtly:

-video drivers
-windower/ashita/plugin updates
-game client itself

i'd start by running a file check(it's available on the first screen of playonline, delete one of your rom files first to ensure a full check against the server)

if that turns up no results or the results don't help your problem, and it's something you can make happen frequently, attempt to make it happen on vanilla POL

if that's not possible, consider making a crash dump and letting someone take a look: https://github.com/Windower/Issues/wiki/Creating-crash-dumps-with-Windbg

crash dump won't necessarily turn up useful information, but an informed viewer can identify whether it's a windower/ashita/plugin issue or a base ffxi issue, and possibly whether it's to do with graphics drivers or something else if it's base ffxi
 Odin.Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-12-31 07:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I stand corrected, of course there might have been some changes that I haven't purposely made.

I'll do what you suggested and see if it helps. It does happen pretty much every time I'm in Whitegate and it's really annoying. :(

Thanks.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2015-01-01 02:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If you crash like that (a specific place over and over again reliably) it usually indicates DAT corruption and a file check will resolve it. Usually a piece of armor a certain NPC is wearing is broken and every time it tries to load that DAT it crashes.
 Siren.Leocon
Server: Siren
user: Leocon
By Siren.Leocon 2015-01-01 04:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Somewhat related, I figure I may as well just ask here rather than start a new thread.

PoL seems crash on occasion when passing through the doorway of the Courier's Coalition (Western Adoulin), happens on all my mules, as well as my alt, both on separate PCs. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue too? I play on vanilla PoL, and while I fully admit I'm not knowledgeable on the technical stuff, I'd find it odd that a file corruption would occur to cause PoL to crash in the same spot on two different PCs.

It's not reliable per se, it seems to only happen once every few days on a random character or PC.

While I'm at it, I also just had one of my mules keep crashing PoL after entering their garden. I had to log in on three separate machines to finally get them out of the garden... Two of them laptops I rarely play the game on. Anyone else had issues like this? Asking others before I decide whether or not to make bug reports.
 Odin.Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2015-01-03 06:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It can happen pretty much anywhere in Whitegate - I crashed just now right after trading something to the porter moogle (first time that's happened). File check came up with nothing. Trying to replicate it on vanilla POL is going to require a lot of patience, as it doesn't necessarily happen every time I'm in Whitegate.

I guess creating a crash dump is my next step.

Edit: I forgot, I already tried to download the Windows SDK and I'm unable to install it, I keep getting an error message and can't for the life of me figure out why. Oh well.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2015-01-03 11:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

https://github.com/Windower/Issues/wiki/Enabling-automatic-crash-dumps
 Odin.Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2015-01-03 14:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh right, I downloaded that a long time ago, totally forgot about it - thanks!