There are more letters now? What do those stand for
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-12-31 16:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I guessed A was for asexual, but I wouldn't know why they'd need to be in a group that fights for equal rights...
As for the i, dunno!
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-31 16:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Intersex

Asexuals do run into problems associated with their sexuality, but not really in the specific ways the others do. They feel pressure to conform to a lifestyle they don't really want (being sexual).
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-12-31 16:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never seen asexuals shunned by society tbh, at best they get people going "weird".
Whether they need psychological support is another matter.
 Fenrir.Ginny
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Ginny 2014-12-31 16:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Fenrir.Ginny said: »
IA

There are more letters now? What do those stand for

Intersex, Asexual.

Since most of the discrimination directed at LGBTQ as a whole, tends to have the same origins and dynamics and intersects with the discrimination and issues intersex and asexual individuals face.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-12-31 16:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Amador said: »
"choice of it"

Glad I'm not the only one who would rather say It than He or She.

Not sure who this Amador is, but it doesn't sound very knowledgable or sensitive. It could at the least do some reading on the sorts of hardships trans people go through. It could probably benefit from some sensitivity training. I'd say talking to some trans people to get their perspective would be a good idea but it isn't nearly ready for that yet. I wouldn't want it around anyone it could possibly harm with it's current ignorance and attitudes.

You see how asinine that is to refer to someone as an "it?"
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-31 17:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

So it's her parents fault she jumped in front of a bus. Thanks for clearing that up.
By fonewear 2014-12-31 17:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
"choice of it"

Not sure who this Amador is, but it doesn't sound very knowledgable or sensitive. It could at the least do some reading on the sorts of hardships trans people go through. It could probably benefit from some sensitivity training. I'd say talking to some trans people to get their perspective would be a good idea but it isn't nearly ready for that yet. I wouldn't want it around anyone it could possibly harm with it's current ignorance and attitudes.

You see how asinine that is to refer to someone as an "it?"

It can be scary:

[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-31 17:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Now I can't stop using it. It's contagious !
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-31 17:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Josiahfk said: »
Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgender
Intersex
Asexual

Intersex is when your physical parameters don't categorize as male or female. *** is a term to use for oneself instead of using the other terms or using he she and other masculine/feminine descriptors

Asexual you mean like Godzilla ? 1998 version.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Amador
Server: Ragnarok
user: Amador
By Ragnarok.Amador 2014-12-31 17:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not her parents fault. The child was extremely confused by being told it was not okay, and a phase while it was something they wanted in order to probably be more socially acceptable in the way that they probably saw girls being noticed/treated.

The confusion came from the internet in which a community of people decided to support a child who's mind was underdeveloped. They took her under their wings and said: It's okay, they're wrong, they don't get you, we do, they don't love you, we do, they can't accept you, we will.

The child took this to heart and took her life.

Whatever methods the parents decided to use, regardless of them being christian or not. Could have been over exaggerated by the teen. Most parents would probably be concerned, and seek help wherever they trust is reasonable before accepting something like this.

A lot of people look towards their children as a means to continue the family name, traditions, bloodline. For them to be informed that this is not to be due to a choice a child is making could be rather scary. Everyone looks at the parents as the monsters though, everyone has daddy and mommy issues. We shouldn't preach to little kids our ideas, or ideals.
By fonewear 2014-12-31 17:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not her parents fault. The child was extremely confused by being told it was not okay, and a phase while it was something they wanted in order to probably be more socially acceptable in the way that they probably saw girls being noticed/treated.

The confusion came from the internet in which a community of people decided to support a child who's mind was underdeveloped. They took her under their wings and said: It's okay, they're wrong, they don't get you, we do, they don't love you, we do, they can't accept you, we will.

The child took this to heart and took her life.

Whatever methods the parents decided to use, regardless of them being christian or not. Could have been over exaggerated by the teen. Most parents would probably be concerned, and seek help wherever they trust is reasonable before accepting something like this.

A lot of people look towards their children as a means to continue the family name, traditions, bloodline. For them to be informed that this is not to be due to a choice a child is making could be rather scary. Everyone looks at the parents as the monsters though, everyone has daddy and mommy issues. We shouldn't preach to little kids our ideas, or ideals.

Well as being a childless heathen I tend to agree !
By Jetackuu 2014-12-31 17:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

"choice of it"

Oh look, you pissed them off.

Better hide.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-12-31 17:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

"choice of it"

Never refer to a trans person, or any person as "It". She identified as female, use female name, pronouns.
Or simply ask. There will certainly be circumstances where you won't be able to tell someone's gender by their mannerisms, appearance, or name(particularly if the gender changes based on culture). Also if someone is in the process. Most people should be adults, so be an adult about it. Yes, it can be embarassing (and potentially hurtful) for one or both parties, but better take the lumps early and in good faith.

There are also people who don't identify with either gender.
Then you have the added bonus of puberty, hanging over your head not unlike the Sword of Damocles. Without timely intervention, male puberty causes irreversible effects, particularly with skeletal growth and deepening of the the voice. Puberty blockers in particular cause no negative side effects, and only pause puberty until medical professionals (therapists, endocrinologists) and the patient are sure this is right for them. It can mean the difference between going through female puberty, or requiring tens of thousands of dollars worth of surgery (not even counting sexual reassignment surgery) in order to pass as female.
To be fair, I can't say that I am particularly well versed in this area. However, it would be delinquent to not point out that (in this scenario) we are asking pre-pubescent children to be making a choice (in conjunction with experts) with far greater personal consequences then most choices other people make even when adults.
Which raises a seperate question about the age of majority.

Her parents kept taking her to "Christian therapists" that practiced reparative therapy, basically from the same people who said they could cure homosexuality (they couldn't) now say they can cure transgender people (they can't). Their methods range from the inane (pray away the gay!) to physically abusive and barbaric. The people who have undergone such programs require actual therapy for years, or for the rest of their lives, to attempt to recover. Many never do.

These methods have been thoroughly debunked and denounced by medical professionals, and California recently passed a law making it illegal. The rest of the nation needs to follow suit.
Won't argue that. The problem becomes when it is described as a 'faith' practice rather than a medical practice. The physical abuses are easily outlawable, but it is somewhat more difficult to outlaw particular kinds of prayer.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-31 17:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Pronouns I'm pretty sure Richard Nixon had them on his enemies list.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-31 17:29:19
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-31 17:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

This isn't fun it's serious business. I've had it up to here with your misuse of it !
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-31 17:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Next your going to tell me using vowels offends your sensibilities.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 17:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
This isn't fun it's serious business. I've had it up to here with your misuse of it !
Just like you turn to humor or mockery others take a very serious tone.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-31 17:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

On what *** planet would it be more socially acceptable to "choose" to be transgender? You're ignorantly and wrongfully starting with the premise that these things are a choice. I can't believe this still needs to be explicitly stated in 20-***-14 -sexuality is not a choice. It's an innate characteristic.

This girl was looking for some sort of support and it came from individuals over the internet since her own family couldn't be halfway decent enough to accept their child as different. I love love love victim blaming. As if it's unconscionable that families show hostility towards their LGBT children. I mean, we have people here trumpeting the use of the word 'it' to describe other people like it's anything more than a derogatory term for the transgendered. Classy.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2014-12-31 17:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just waiting for the first transgendered president of the united states.
By fonewear 2014-12-31 17:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if pronouns offend you you must be an English major.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-31 17:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
it can be anything.

Only if it applies itself !
By fonewear 2014-12-31 17:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

So every time someone says I don't know: Damn it they are offending transgender teens that commit suicide ?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 17:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Well if pronouns offend you you must be an English major.
you know it's not that. When people refuse to refer to someone as he or she, the gender they identify with, and instead refer to the person as an it that is something that is intentionally derogetory and understandable that someone get upset over whether you agree with that or not.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10