New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Transgender teen commits suicide
Transgender teen commits suicide
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
By Ramyrez 2014-12-31 08:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
Working in weho for two years put me right in the mix of lgbt related suicides/assaults/murders so I just see this as another suicide probably sounds uncaring or w/e but that's just me sad ***for those who cared for her likely a burden offloaded for the shitbag parents

I don't think it makes you sound uncaring, I think it's what you have to do to get on with your day. If you get broken up about every single unfortunate circumstance in our country you're headed for a mental breakdown yourself.

Or maybe I'm just right there with you because I have to deal with terminally ill people on a regular basis and maintain some level of professional detatchment myself.

At the same time, having a professional detatchment and viewing it as a statistic for your own sanity is not quite the same as being callous, uncaring, or downright insulting about a situation that could have been avoided.

Edit: Paged. Let's all take a deep breath for a moment of levity with a sleepy puppy.

[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-12-31 08:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

So what I'm getting from this is that we either react to all suicides or none? That's clearly absurd. It just seems like you guys are bothered by the fact that this is about a transperson but are afraid to simply say that. Instead you mask it behind a facade of pointing out hypocrisy or some such nonsense.

Hers would hardly be the first suicide to be used as a wake up call by a group or movement. It actually happens quite a lot if you pay attention. Not all the time to be sure, but this is not unique at all. I've seen the suicides of straight white males make the evening news and include commentary from representatives of certain groups. Somehow that didn't draw the same sort of ire that this girl's suicide has. Interesting.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-31 08:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from a few obvious trolls I don't think anyone's doing any witch hunting that being said I do not believe in special victims that is a personal belief likely not shared by many if at all
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-31 08:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
So what I'm getting from this is that we either react to all suicides or none?
I vote for none.

If we start reacting to suicides in general, teens will start committing suicide just for the publicity of it all (since the whole notion of "You don't understand me" is a major contributor of killing oneself anyway).
[+]
By Nyruul 2014-12-31 08:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I vote for none.

If we start reacting to suicides in general, teens will start committing suicide just for the publicity of it all (since the whole notion of "You don't understand me" is a major contributor of killing oneself anyway).

This is what I was trying to say. There is no good to come from exposure of any kind.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-12-31 08:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think someone suicides for attention...maybe mutilate yes. But if you desire attention what's the point if you're not there to witness it?

Anyway, teen suicide rate is too high, regardless of driving cause(although I guess it's almost always some form of bullying). I know the problem should be eradicated at the root, teaching kids to be respectful, etc, but surely something could be done to prevent all these kids from chosing the window?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 09:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you guys of the mind that if other kids hear about a kid in a similar situation that committed suicide they're more likely to commit suicide or something along those lines? That's not really how it works.

Like many other problems they continue to persist because it's something that is not discussed or not really understood by most people. Good does come from exposure because people, parents maybe become exposed to the signs, consequences and outcomes of situations if they aren't treated.

People may not like to talk about it or hear about it but saying that there is no good to come of exposure of any kind is just false.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-31 09:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything should be talked about that's why I practice full disclosure parenting my daughter asks and I explain to the best of my knowledge
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-12-31 09:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Deciding you're transgender
It's early so I'll spare you the "one does not simply" image macro but you don't simply choose to be transgender or gay for that matter.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-12-31 09:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does it take a death of someone for everyone to realize the importance of lifestyles and beliefs?

Are we that insensitive to martyrs these days?
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-31 09:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Think he meant applying the label to herself not the act of being
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-12-31 09:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Taboos are never a good thing, or at least I can't think of any instance right now where they would be. I have some myself and I am aware it's problematic only for me and should get over them.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-12-31 09:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Think he meant applying the label to herself not the act of being
Ah, ok. So what Tumblr does. ^^
[+]
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2014-12-31 09:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I vote for none.

I have no sympathy for anyone who commits suicide, it has and always will be, the easy way out. If you cant handle that then you're doing the world a favor.
 Siren.Sieha
Server: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2014-12-31 09:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Love for a child is suppose to be unconditional. These parents failed in that aspect.

This is nothing new and other teens will commit suicide in the next few hours or day. I think that if every teen suicide was on the news maybe more people will get the idea. In my opinion it is rarely really an issue with the child, the parents are responsible for the child. Until parents quick sucking at raising and accepting their kid then this will continue.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-31 09:10:05
Link | Quote | Reply

That or I misunderstood the post entirely for one of the more coherent things he's said
By Ramyrez 2014-12-31 09:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Scizor said: »
I vote for none.

I have no sympathy for anyone who commits suicide, it has and always will be, the easy way out. If you cant handle that then you're doing the world a favor.

[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-12-31 09:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
It's early so I'll spare you the "one does not simply" image macro but you don't simply choose to be transgender or gay for that matter.
You don't simply choose to develop gender dysphoria.

You can choose to want to undergo transition.

See: Thailand, where men will get hormone therapy and genital surgery to become viable prostitutes.

That said, gender dysphoria itself is a symptom not a condition. The underlying causes are not known to any real extent at this point in time. It's not that radical to suggest that many cases are developed from a subconscious observation that the other gender rewards behaviors of the person.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 09:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from a few obvious trolls I don't think anyone's doing any witch hunting that being said I do not believe in special victims that is a personal belief likely not shared by many if at all
I don't think this is really about a special victim as much as it is about what people relate to and what they find to be important. That is different to all of us.

You can find a varying range of responses to this girls decision to kill herself. Some will react in a way that will give her passing some sort of meaning and some will degrade her whether it's because of who she was or just for the sole fact that she chose to kill herself.

Something like this though can have significant effect on another persons life though.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-12-31 09:13:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I vote for none.

Kinda harsh, but I agree with the "easy way out" thing. I can understand killing one's self after hearing "..you have six months to live" and finding that you only have 6 months filled with agonizing pain till your eventual death. It's still the easy way out but it's more understandable and doesn't apply to my little motto on suicide; "It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem."
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-12-31 09:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

See: Thailand, where men will get hormone therapy and genital surgery to become viable prostitutes.

That said, gender dysphoria itself is a symptom not a condition. The underlying causes are not known to any real extent at this point in time. It's not that radical to suggest that many cases are developed from a subconscious observation that the other gender rewards behaviors of the person.

How insecure are you in your masculinity, exactly, to stretch this far? It's not radical, it's just stupid. I suppose you think homosexuality can be "cured" too?
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-31 09:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I vote for none.

I have somewhat the same outlook but for a different reason I believe in fight rather than flight you gotta understand who/what you are accept it and go forward the world will not make anything easy for you
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-12-31 09:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Is suicide really an easy way out? When I was suffering from depression I thought about it many times, and if I have to be honest I never did at the time cause I was *** scared to do it.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-12-31 09:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I vote for none.

Kinda harsh, but I agree with the "easy way out" thing. I can understand killing one's self after hearing "..you have six months to live" and finding that you only have 6 months filled with agonizing pain till your eventual death. It's still the easy way out but it's more understandable and doesn't apply to my little motto on suicide; "It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem."

Not saying it's ever the right choice in non-terminal sitautions, but the people who have big, tough opinions about it talking about how "oh, we're better off without those weak people anyhow"? Ugh. How juvenille.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-12-31 09:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I can agree, I can also agree that there have been those who have undergone gender reassignment surgery and regretted it (Google Samantha Kane or Charles Kane) but there have been a great deal more of those who have transitioned and lived a more normal life than they otherwise would have. Some even choose to be "non-op."
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 09:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
Why does it take a death of someone for everyone to realize the importance of lifestyles and beliefs?

Are we that insensitive to martyrs these days?
I don't think we really think about it otherwise or sometimes people just except the status quo until something extreme happens. What's important to one isn't all that important to another though.

Idk if she really can be considered a martyr or not but it depends upon your perspective whether your sensitive or insensitive to something like this. Personal perspective can change over time as well.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-12-31 09:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
How insecure are you in your masculinity, exactly, to stretch this far? It's not radical, it's just stupid. I suppose you think homosexuality can be "cured" too?

i said many, not most, or all

if you think there aren't any teens-young adults doing the trans thing because they think it'll benefit them socially, it's a waste of my time to argue with you
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-12-31 09:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Is suicide really an easy way out? When I was suffering from depression I thought about it many times, and if I have to be honest I never did at the time cause I was *** scared to do it.

What people who say things like that fail to realize is that there are many times where the person is depressed and has such a low sense of self-worth that to them, it is the brave thing. They're doing what they think is best for everyone. They feel they're a burden or dragging others down and in their perception they're doing everyone else a favor.

And then if they're "too afraid" to do it, it just spirals them downward further because they think the took the easy way out by not offing themselves.

And all the while there are the people who are lucky enough to never have had to battle those particular demons who think they've got all the answers.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 09:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I vote for none.

So be it but these words are coming from someone that doesn't really understand why people commit suicide or the malodies that sorround it. It is not a rational decision that someone makes and says to themselves oh hey I could either go into work tomorrow and face another tough day or just end it all right here. There are many factors sorrounding it and it is far from a rational choice with much of it being related to mental ilness of some sort.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 09:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

i said many, not most, or all

if you think there aren't any teens-young adults doing the trans thing because they think it'll benefit them socially, it's a waste of my time to argue with you
How do American teens benefit from this socially?
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10