This Is A Plus Size Model?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » This is a plus size model?
This is a plus size model?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-11 20:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Sure, not every woman is going to be a perfect size 6, but the more important question is if she is happy with herself image regardless of outside influence.

I never understood this mentality.

If your child brings home a C, would you tell them that it's good enough and they should be happy with it? Or would you encourage them to keep trying harder?

My point is more that not every kid is going to be good at math, and if they get a C as an objective measure of their ability and not because they spent their study time playing CoD or on Facebook, I wouldn't feel the need to come up with "participation award" style euphemisms for it. "You did your best, and there's nothing wrong with a C." as long as they actually gave it their best effort.

Sure, most "plus sized" women could probably lose a few pounds with minimal effort beyond changing habits or taking up a semi-active hobby, but as long as they are content with who they are, there should be no need to coddle or shame them.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-11 20:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I think what you just said is one of the things that's wrong with society.

Every kid can be good at math if they're given the motivation to learn. Not everyone can be amazing, sure, but everyone should at least be able to learn basic calculus, or know the difference between acceleration and velocity, or understand basic principles of a right triangle.

The problem is, there are people out there (if I can pick on you a little bit), who tell them it's ok to not be good at something. Once you zap their motivation to learn, there are very few things that a child is willing to learn voluntarily.
 Cerberus.Kyka
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kyka 2014-11-11 20:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
We're just bombarded with politically correct terms for natural variability, and terms like "plus sized" or "full bodied" should be just as insulting for a woman as being called fat or unshapely.
Just so I'm clear on this, does this mean that if a woman prefers to be known as "curvy" (or a man as "stocky"), do we treat that as an insult because it provides a descriptor?

I think any label you apply to yourself is your perogative, but terms like that are often used to escape a negative self-image. Someone who is "curvy" or "stocky" because of things like ethnicity or genetics (larger hips for example) shouldn't have a negative self-image because of that, and having to have a different term for people who are simply made different than a Brazilian swimsuit model should be insulting. That's what I see as the bigger issue.

I'm not built like an underwear model, but I'd consider being called "hugable" as an insult. I'm dead center in my ideal weight range and fit and healthy, even if I'm not cut up. I don't need a different descriptor to ease the pain of not looking like a GQ model.

Jassik - you really aren't getting the gist of labeling. Your size is what is called "normal"....normal does not have a bad connotation to it. The word FAT does. In fact it is referenced as one of the 7 Deadly Sins as Gluttony. The word fat has as negative of a connotation as the word ***, jew, spic, towel head, etc.

When you see the word fat you think of a huge fat person, clutching fast food bags, huffing and puffing their way to their car, already eating with food coming out of their mouth and spilling with grease onto their way to small for them tight clothing......sound about right???

Now take the world Big Beautiful Woman - roll that around in your head, dismissing that last image altogether. Can you not possibly see a more positive image - just as if you would say African-American, jewish, Mexican, Arabic.

Labels and words to make a difference. Small example. You work for a secretary as an assistant - the secretary says to someone on the phone, "I'll send my boy around to pick that up", meaning you. Now, how do you think that person on the phone will view you when you show up to pick up the package? They WILL view you as a BOY, not worthy of respect. But if she had said "I will send my assistant around to pick that up", THAT gives you more respect.....words do have power.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-11-11 20:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Kingmancat said: »
Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Kingmancat said: »
KMC
Kraft Macaroni and Cheese?

The cheesiest there is baby!

(In a purposely dry monotone) Its my character's initials...
I knew that...

[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-11 21:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Every kid can be good at math if they're given the motivation to learn. Not everyone can be amazing, sure, but everyone should at least be able to learn basic calculus, or know the difference between acceleration and velocity, or understand basic principles of a right triangle.

That's exactly what I mean, a "C" should be considered an acceptable achievement, an "A" should be exceptional. As long as they have given in a true and conscious effort, I don't see a need to flatter or shame them for what they achieve.

Cerberus.Kyka said: »
Jassik - you really aren't getting the gist of labeling. Your size is what is called "normal"....normal does not have a bad connotation to it. The word FAT does. In fact it is referenced as one of the 7 Deadly Sins as Gluttony. The word fat has as negative of a connotation as the word ***, jew, spic, towel head, etc.

When I hear "fat" I think of someone who is large as a result of their own habits or lack of aspiration. If someone sits on the sofa all day eating junk food and is overweight, I don't think we should try to come up with nice ways of saying it. Conversely, if someone eats well and exercises and has large hips, I don't think we need to make excuses for nature, that's just their shape and there's nothing wrong with it.

Words only have the power you give them, if someone refers to you as their "boy" and you accept it, it's on you. You will only ever get the respect you deserve and command.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-11 21:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

That's exactly what I mean, a "C" should be considered an acceptable achievement, an "A" should be exceptional. As long as they have given in a true and conscious effort, I don't see a need to flatter or shame them for what they achieve.

Let's just say we don't agree there.

Hope you change your mind when you have kids.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-11 21:36:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's just say we don't agree there.

Hope you change your mind when you have kids.

Since you feel the need to insult me, I'd be curious if your parents shamed you for every time you fell short, or if you only aspired to easy goals.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-11 21:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You would be curious? Or are you curious?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-11-11 21:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
it's time for insanely weak deflecting semantics.
Is it that time, already? I thought that wasn't supposed to happen until page 9.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-11 21:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly couldn't care less, but you seem determined to shame me for having realistic expectations, that anger has to come from somewhere.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-11 21:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Saying "everyone can, with enough effort" is ignorant and a childish way to look at the world. Hopefully they grow up before they start ruining the lives of kids of their own, screaming when their kid isn't a clone of themselves.

Everyone can, with enough effort.

A common problem people seem to have is in order to defend their point, they run to the far extreme and point out how bad it is.

Yes, a 99.9% of grade school kid can't master calculus no matter how much effort they put into it, but they should at least be able to get an A on their paper.

This enabling of mediocrity is really perplexing.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-11-11 21:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Roguethief said: »
Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Is it that time, already? I thought that wasn't supposed to happen until page 9.
Your mom and I sure were all over page 9 last night
I didn't know my mom was in Canada. Can you tell her I said hi?
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-11 21:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly couldn't care less, but you seem determined to shame me for having realistic expectations, that anger has to come from somewhere.

Oh please, get off your high horse. No one who's been on the internet for more than a month would fall for such a generic comeback.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-11 21:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's grammar, actually. Something I learned goodly on school.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-11 21:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I just realized this turned into a 'its my 12.95'-RL Edition thread.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-11 22:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

A common problem people seem to have is in order to defend their point, they run to the far extreme and point out how bad it is.

Like I said.

I know you consider yourself an intelligent person. Even a person of faint intelligence should at least realize their biases and not let it control their rationale.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-11-11 22:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a severe lack of comparing hot girls pics and calling them plus sized in here.

Why is this even a discussion if no pics.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-11 22:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said.

I know you consider yourself an intelligent person. Even a person of faint intelligence should at least realize their biases and not let it control their rationale.

Obviously, you aren't taking what I said to the far extreme to make some kind of point...
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-11 22:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't consider myself an intelligent person; I was the guy surrounded by kids who did no homework and still got better grades than me, and the guy working my *** off to death to get that *** laude. Someone who worked hard like you blindly said we need to tell our kids to.

I spoke up here because you said "everyone can, with work" essentially and I used to share that mindset but it's a dangerous one. I saw myself in you and I don't want you making the same terrible mistakes I did by following that so rigidly instead of backing up a bit to see the larger picture jassik described.

Well I don't work with abused or damaged children, but as someone who watched mentally challenged or physically disabled people attend college/gym and succeeding for years on end, I would kindly ask you to go kill yourself for dooming the lives you've touched by telling them it's ok to not try their hardest and work towards their success.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-11 22:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said: »
What is everyone's idea of fat though, bet it isn't the same as the fashion industries idea of fat.

For Jassik.

Because everyone's a winner!
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-11 22:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Asura.Calatilla said: »
What is everyone's idea of fat though, bet it isn't the same as the fashion industries idea of fat.

For Jassik.

Because everyone's a winner!

You clearly didn't read a word I wrote.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-11 22:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

She's obviously not "plus sized" but she is definitely much more full than the usual underwear model group. I don't see why we need "plus sized" models or why we need PR friendly terms like it. If you really want big is beautiful or weight not to be a big deal, why still have a specific term for fat girls? Moreover, why even have size 4 or below, let twigs shop in the juniors section and start the sizes over at 0, so every woman instantly loses 4-6 sizes and gets the same placebo confidence boost as calling it "plus sized"?

It just seems like a bunch of men and skinny girls trying to find a way to call women fat to their face and then still sell them ***.

Or just redo the sizes like men's clothes to where it's the size of the clothes, instead of some arbitrary #

@OP: didn't you used to do fittings for people or something for a living?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-11 22:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I think what you just said is one of the things that's wrong with society.

The problem is, there are people out there (if I can pick on you a little bit), who tell them it's ok to not be good at something. Once you zap their motivation to learn, there are very few things that a child is willing to learn voluntarily.

I think the problem here is your definition of "good at something" which is very off from what I would consider it.

Honestly most people don't need to know the properties of a right triangle, so why should they bother with it when it's irrelevant to their lives?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8