2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Staff WS
Staff WS
By Anjou 2014-09-04 12:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have looked into gearing for staff ws and which staff ws would be best to use after the June update. We get a pretty epic staff from headwind battlefield and it would be great to have for things things that are resistant to piercing but weak to blunt (undead >.<).
 Odin.Shaggnix
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: shagg
By Odin.Shaggnix 2014-09-04 13:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shell Crusher - single hit, 100% str mod, static ftp of 1.0, wind based 25% def down additional effect, duration varies with tp 3/6/9 minutes. Can be half resisted or fully resisted, resistance only affects duration not potency.

Retribution - single hit, 50% mnd/30% str mods, ftp varies with tp 2/2.5/3

Full Swing - single hit, 50% str, ftp varies with tp 1/3/5

I would hazard a guess that retribution wins, barely, at 1000 tp, but full swing pulls ahead around the ~1300tp mark, possibly earlier with the superior mods.

I would be very interested to know if shell crusher stacks with angon. Angon will overwrite other weaker def down effects (acid bolts), but the description that shell crusher gives a wind based def down makes me think there's a chance they'll stack, since the effect from angon/acid bolts/gungnir don't give any elemental affinity. A potential 50% def down when stacked..... might be worth testing.
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-09-04 13:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Shaggnix said: »
I would be very interested to know if shell crusher stacks with angon.
No. They're both the same kind of defense down effect. All defense down effects are wind-based, by the way (Ageha, Frightful Roar, etc.).
 Odin.Shaggnix
user: shagg
By Odin.Shaggnix 2014-09-04 13:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

so shell crusher is basically a resistible but longer lasting angon ... that costs you a WS.

In the past its been better to just poke the piercing resistant mobs with your lance and deal. I'm feeling like that hasn't changed.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-09-04 13:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd consider making the swap to Nilgal Pole when you're fighting things that are both resistant to piercing AND weak to blunt (skeletons, corse, naraka).
By Highwynd 2014-09-04 15:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shattersoul is pretty boss. Can get decent INT from ilvl gear with statvomit. The headwind fight staff is a pain to get because nobody ever shouts for that BC except me, and I shout for hours. LS mates are lazy and don't want to help because they're capped on REM tales and nothing else from there is that great. I've even shouted to pay 10m for the staff to be merc'd and nobody still offers. :(

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-09-04 15:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

yes
By Anjou 2014-09-04 16:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the responses guys! I was actually thinking about meriting shattersoul but wasn't sure how it compared to the other ws with str mods after the ws update.

Aye I mostly want this to fight skeles or other blunt mobs where the piercing damage is really bad.