Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 796 797 798 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You may not see Science that way but I do.

I'm skeptical of everything. So I'm not putting any trust in Science as much as I would anything else.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-22 07:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Enjoy your ignorance then. If everyone would think like you progress would come to an halt altogether.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-22 07:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You believe in Science too much !

Science has nothing to do with belief.

If you have "beliefs" about science, you're doing it wrong.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Enjoy your ignorance then. If everyone would think like you progress would come to an halt altogether.

When did I say stop Science. I'm just comparing it to religion. Which it has been for a long long time.
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like anyone that criticizes Science is condemned for life to be an outcast. I never understood this "I must defend Science" mentality.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-22 07:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm skeptical of everything. So I'm not putting any trust in Science as much as I would anything else.

Being skeptical of everything is at the heart of science.

But putting as much trust in science as you do in religion or anything else silly like that is pretty bad policy.

For instance, you can put your faith in God to save you from an infection.

Me, I'm just going to take the penicillin.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-22 07:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I think I'll leave you alone, what you say doesn't even make any sense. If you compare research to faith no explanation can help you.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I never once said don't do Scientific things. I'm just questioning how people view Scientists. Some people view them in the same light as religious leaders. Like they can solve everything.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I think I'll leave you alone, what you say doesn't even make any sense. If you compare research to faith no explanation can help you.

If you don't understand me that is on you. Not on me.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-22 07:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like anyone that criticizes Science is condemned for life to be an outcast. I never understood this "I must defend Science" mentality.

Because there's a growing amount of people who view science like you do. As a "belief" that's somehow on par with religion or witchcraft or whatever.

It's why homeopathy is on the rise. Because people think somehow that clinically proven medicines are bad (which they can be, at times, with side effects that were not seen on initial trial), but then they take it so far as to say that drinking special water is every bit as valid as say, chemo, for cancer.

And that is patently false, proven false, and absolutely idiotic. As is sitting around hoping your god randomly takes away your cancer.

But somehow we're all just supposed to be okay with them grandstanding on a national level, where people who don't know any better then, in turn, believe them.

The harm being caused is greater than many people want to believe.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not talking about any of that but if you want to harp on it feel free to son !

I have no interest in Science or religion so I'm not going to champion either one.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-22 07:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not talking about any of that but if you want to harp on it feel free to son !

That's exactly what you're talking about when you put science and religion on the same level.

"It's not my fault if you don't understand that."
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If you miss my point I"m not going to explain it 50,000 times.

So there you go.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the part where I normally say.

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Ramyrez 2015-07-22 07:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If you miss my point I"m not going to explain it 50,000 times.

So there you go.

Your point is that some people put their trust in science like some put their trust in religion without entirely understanding it, and then defend it when they don't entirely understand it.

And that is true, to some degree. But equating science - which has quantifiable, observable findings - with religion because of how some people view and approach it is a flawed argument, at best.
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Well maybe it is a flawed argument on my part. Can we go back to discussion of whatever the hell else is in the news then ?
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate when P and R is pages and pages of the same ***. Like it is every other day !

New topic !

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/president-obama-jon-stewart-the-daily-show-120428.html?hp=r3_4

President Barack Obama does not want to watch Jon Stewart’s farewell episode from the White House residence. And he’s going to do everything in his power to stop it, Obama warned the comedian during a taping of “The Daily Show” on Tuesday.

“I can’t believe you’re leaving before me. I’m going to issue an executive order,” Obama joked. “Jon Stewart cannot leave the show. It’s being challenged in the courts,” he said.

“To me, this is a state’s rights issue,” Stewart responded.

Barring last-minute judicial intervention, this marks Obama’s seventh and last appearance on Stewart’s late-night comedy show, and his third as president.

Obama traveled to New York City for the taping after delivering a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars convention in Pittsburgh, and Stewart accommodated the president’s agenda, teeing him up for a victory lap on the nuclear deal reached last week with Iran.

Echoing his remarks in Pittsburgh, Obama compared critics of the accord to the neoconservatives who argued for invading Iraq, saying they believe “if you had brought *** Cheney to the negotiations, everything would be fine.”

Stewart noted that the U.S. has tried a variety of approaches in the Middle East, including sending 100,000 troops and arming militant groups.
US Secretary of State John Kerry answers a question after his meeting with the Saudi foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir at the Department of State in Washington, DC on July 16, 2015. AFP PHOTO/MLADEN ANTONOV (Photo credit should read MLADEN ANTONOV/AFP/Getty Images)

Also on POLITICO
Kerry picks overseer for Iran deal

“This new thing, you called it earlier — diplomacy,” the host said. “That sounds interesting.”

Stewart planned to interview the president for about half an hour, and he told the audience he wouldn’t dawdle.

“Let’s get right to it, I’m sure there’s a fundraiser he has to be at,” Stewart said.

Indeed, the president was slated to appear at an event for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee shortly after the taping.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-22 07:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate when P and R is pages and pages of the same ***. Like it is every other day !

New topic !

Except it's you driving it to that point nearly every time. :p
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-22 07:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The topic was spaceexploration, which is highly connected to political matters.

And it was actually a new topic. It's just that you took a tangent and couln't handle what came of it.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

New topic !

Except it's you driving it to that point nearly every time. :p

That is true that is why I'm done with Science for today.
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The topic was spaceexploration, which is highly connected to political matters.

And it was actually a new topic. It's just that you took a tangent and couln't handle what came of it.

Yea so wanna fight about it some more ? !
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanna *** about Obama. And Jon Stewart !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-22 07:54:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm allowed to be all McFeely from time to time.

This is exactly why I suppress my emotions. So I don't go on and on about Science.

It could be worse it could be a pointless discussion about the future of FFXI. Which has been beaten to death so much you can't even recognize what the topic is about anymore.

[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-22 08:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I can picture Ram singing this everyday: (sorry I couldn't' help myself)

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2015-07-22 08:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Mr Rogers told me to be myself. I say I hate myself thanks Mr. Rogers you *** !

Now I feel even worse !
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-07-22 08:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Mr Rogers told me to be myself. I say I hate myself thank Mr. Rogers you ***

The line for what you can say is relaxed in P+R, but blaspheming Mr. Rogers isn't okay anywhere.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-22 08:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

The line for what you can say is relaxed in P+R, but blaspheming Mr. Rogers isn't okay anywhere.

Fair enough.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-22 08:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

+'d from the hometown of Fred Rogers.

Edit: Random anecdotal factoid.

I currently live in Fred Roger's home town.

My home town is where the toy factory that created his wooden trolly was designed and made.
By fonewear 2015-07-22 08:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The Mcfeely thing is a long running gag we've had when things get too touchy feely.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-22 08:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The Mcfeely thing is a long running gag we've had when Ramyrez posts.things get too touchy feely.

It's *** Nik's fault.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 796 797 798 ... 1375 1376 1377