Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 782 783 784 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-17 09:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Are you asserting that all these people committed these atrocities in the name of their christian god?

I would assert that all LGBT hate crime is religion-fueled, whether actively or as a tacit factor in their overt malignancy.

I'd say some of it is simple human fear of the unknown, which is often amplified/coddled by religion.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 09:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I'd say some of it is simple human fear of the unknown, which is often amplified/coddled by religion.

I think that at this point in time -- given that even religionChristianity and Judaism, at least -- gave the silent wink-nod to homosexuality in years, modern religion is very much to blame. It wasn't an "unknown" until religion gave the banhammer to the entire concept of sex for pleasure.

By "modern" I mean, oh, about the past 300 years or so.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-17 09:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Are you asserting that all these people committed these atrocities in the name of their christian god?

I would assert that all LGBT hate crime is religion-fueled, whether actively or as a tacit factor in their overt malignancy.

Is there any evidence of this or are you going on your feelz prejudices and bigotry?
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 09:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there any evidence of this or are you going on your feelz prejudices and bigotry?

Christianity and homosexuality
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-17 09:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean honestly, would most of you accept and admit that you have many prejudices against Christians and Christianity?

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-17 09:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean honestly, would most of you accept and admit that you have many prejudices against Christians and Christianity?

Oh sure....but I hate almost everyone so... /shrug
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-07-17 09:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Army of God

The point being Nausi that you think your religion, or well I should say Christianity as I don't recall if you've ever said what faith you subscribe to, is on the whole good and not bad like those muslim fellas. What you don't seem to understand is its mostly about perspective. All religions seem to fuel some kind of fanaticism whether it be the muslim faith or christianity or judiasm or whatever else. At the heart of each religion it really seems to be a genuine and a good idea but like with all other things humanity gets a hold of it and well everythings up for grabs at that point.

Would you denounce your religion if a group of people started committing acts like this in its name or would you defend it and write them off as fanatics?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-17 10:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

oh I thought he meant sanctioned by the pope...

/loses the round

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 10:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I admit I have negative feelings toward them and eye them with suspicion and disdain.

That probably meets at least a textbook definition of prejudice, so yes, I suppose I would have to agree.

The different is I don't want to deny them their right to be Christian and exist with all the freedoms I have, I just want the freedom to not have them influence my life with their own Christian judgments.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-17 10:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
prej·u·dice
ˈprejədəs/
noun
noun: prejudice; plural noun: prejudices

preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

Nope.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 10:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Army of God

The point being Nausi that you don't think your religion, or well I should say Christianity as I don't recall if you've ever said what faith you subscribe to, is on the whole good and not bad like those muslim fellas. What you don't seem to understand is its mostly about perspective. All religions seem to fuel some kind of fanaticism whether it be the muslim faith or christianity or judiasm or whatever else. At the heart of each religion it really seems to be a genuine and a good idea but like with all other things humanity gets a hold of it and well everythings up for grabs at that point.

Would you denounce your religion if a group of people started committing acts like this in its name or would you defend it and write them off as fanatics?

Also applies to atheists, and it is probably why atheists are so mistrusted, even among other atheists.

Fanaticism of any stripe is ***-all annoying and I am not innocent of getting a little too fervent in religious discussion myself.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 10:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Quote:
prej·u·dice
ˈprejədəs/
noun
noun: prejudice; plural noun: prejudices

preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

Nope.

I would actually state that there is some degree of prejudice involved in most of us who view Christianity negatively across the board and consider the good the exception to the rule, as there is also actual experience of many Christian people and organizations doing very good things for people.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-17 10:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Since people are making judgments based on the religious dogma, and not the person, it's not really a prejudice. I personally don't have a problem with religion, I have a problem with religious activism. Believe whatever makes you happy, but keep it out of legislation and public education.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-17 10:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »

Honest question, do you think you have prejudices against LGTB, Islam, Mexicans, Immigrants, Obama, Black people?

let's get deeper into this question because I think what we are looking for is more prejudiced to think ill of them...

I'm always shocked when gay men aren't snappy dressers which is prejudiced in a way but probably not the one you are looking for
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 10:16:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

Since people are making judgments based on the religious dogma, and not the person, it's not really a prejudice. I personally don't have a problem with religion, I have a problem with religious activism. Believe whatever makes you happy, but keep it out of legislation and public education.

I guess this is true enough, but I know for me, if someone describes themselves and "Christian" is in the first 10 words they use, I've already judged them as someone who I'm going to have issues with because if they're addressing their religion that fast then it's going to be involved in every. damn. conversation. "I did this with Church! My pastor said this! I just put my faith in Jesus and hoped for the best! Say some prayers for my uncle going into surgery!"

This is my personal experience and I'm not going to tell you every single devout Christian is like that, but it does put me in a position where I just assume the worst and wait for someone to prove to me otherwise, and that's wrong.

Pragmatic, to a point. But still wrong.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-17 10:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I do not have any prejudice.
I consider you solely based on what you say, with the assumption that you're being genuine when you speak.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 10:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
I'm always shocked when gay men aren't snappy dressers which is prejudiced in a way but probably not the one you are looking for

I'm always shockeddisappointed when lesbians aren't smokin' hot.

Because as soon as I find out, I'm thinking about it.

It's just instinctual and I try to, you know, not do that.

But I'm just not that good of a person.

I blame the internet.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-17 10:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I blame the internet.
Don't be technophobic.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 10:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I blame the internet.
Don't be technophobic.

Well, Al Gore invented it.

So I think it's fairly obvious who is really to blame.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-17 10:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Al Gore can be blamed or given credit for a few things, the internet is not one of those things.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 10:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Al Gore can be blamed or given credit for a few things, the internet is not one of those things.

[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-17 10:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Or when a Korean is bad at video games!

My boss hired a girl that he thought was asian and would therefore (stereotypical) be good in math. In a karmic/alanis morrisette ironic twist it turned out she was a stereotypical eskimo in that she was a raging alcoholic....
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 10:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
turned out she was a stereotypical eskimo in that she was a raging alcoholic....

Give her a break. She was probably also raped by her uncle.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-17 10:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
News here said the shooter was someone who admired ISIS "efforts". So I guess it's an act of idolatry.

Which is also what I've been thinking is one of the most dangerous things born from ISIS. Lot of young muslims around the world with bitter lives who see these guys as someone to emulate.
One of the things IS has been doing really well is public propaganda, something the West is failing to counter-act very well. Which is odd because we (the west) have been doing that -and doing it well towards our enemies and citizens- for decades.

Maybe different approaches are called for. Mil and I read an article few days ago about de-radicalizing a teenager in Denmark. I'm not sure this would work in the US because of how combative police and civilian interactions are, but maybe it would work in other parts of Europe and maybe Canada.

How I was de-radicalized
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-07-17 11:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Back-read and I'm not really sure what point Nausi is trying to get across. Islam incites violence while Christianity doesn't? So we should be harsher on them in the media(ironic)?

Any kind of dogma can be used to incite violence amongst its followers against their "adversaries". Your point is probably "well but Islam does more so than others!" but then, as Sparth pointed, you're only doing extremists a huge service by perpetuating the narrative that this is how a "true", or "devout" Muslim be: a delusional mass-murder whose main mission on Earth is to take on the infidels in the name of Allah...which doesn't really help any efforts of reform.

I came across this today, and I wonder what you think about it:
Christian mob attacks Mulsims during Eid prayer in Indonesia
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-17 11:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If it's not in USA it doesn't count!!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 11:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
One of the things IS has been doing really well is public propaganda,

The problem with that I have is, what exactly is their propaganda saying that makes anything they're doing not seem like inhumane terrorism?

Or are they doing the thing that the Central/South American cartels/North Korea/etc. do where they supply food and medicine to the people they're terrorizing and blaming the violence on "the enemy"?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-17 11:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
If it's not in USA it doesn't count!!

yeah the process in which the goalposts move further away is fully automated now.... so don't even try it!
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 782 783 784 ... 1375 1376 1377