Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 780 781 782 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-07-17 07:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
Today's task is to replace the P+R section with this. I think it'll really improve the level of discourse, so please look forward to it.

What is this witchcraft !
By fonewear 2015-07-17 07:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Echo chamber does not sound like a good idea.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-07-17 08:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

I agree, it sounds like a great one!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 08:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
It took 3 years, but the guy who shot up people during a premier of Batman was finally found guilty of murder.

You won't find a bigger advocate for the mentally ill than me. But this case has been utterly *** ridiculous. Regardless of how mentally ill he was he killed 12 people with nearing 100 victims either dead or wounded.

Regardless of his state of mind he is a domestic terrorist. If he was Muslim he'd have been giftwrapped and FedEx'ed to the sociopaths in Gitmo post haste.

There's a point where you have to say "regardless of reasons, this is a person who cannot be trusted in society" and put him behind bars for the rest of his life for both his and society's safety.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 08:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Bahamut.Omael said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Now we wait to see if anything actually happens to those cops... And the department for quite literally attempting to cover it up and possibly use public funds to do so.
My bet: nothing is likely to happen to the officers or department.

Paid administrative leave until the heat dies down, then back to business as usual most likely.
Sounds like an episode of Grand Theft Auto: Police Edition.

Just hide until The Public Outrage meter dies down from 6 Stars to 0.

Somehow the outrage certain moralists whip up about violent video games doesn't transfer to the real life events supposedly influenced by the video games. Who would have guessed?
By fonewear 2015-07-17 08:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

People know what to expect in P and R if they don't like it they don't have to read or participate.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 08:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

People know what to expect in P and R if they don't like it they don't have to read or participate.

It is sort of like vacationing in the Middle East. Beautiful place, but don't be surprised when they throw you in jail for showing too much skin or looking at the wrong rich person the wrong way.

Then again, we whip up enough faux-outrage around here that none of us are really innocent.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-17 08:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
It took 3 years, but the guy who shot up people during a premier of Batman was finally found guilty of murder.

You won't find a bigger advocate for the mentally ill than me. But this case has been utterly *** ridiculous. Regardless of how mentally ill he was he killed 12 people with nearing 100 victims either dead or wounded.

Regardless of his state of mind he is a domestic terrorist. If he was Muslim he'd have been giftwrapped and FedEx'ed to the sociopaths in Gitmo post haste.

There's a point where you have to say "regardless of reasons, this is a person who cannot be trusted in society" and put him behind bars for the rest of his life for both his and society's safety.
Generally I agree with you here, but the tides have changed recently in case you didn't notice. Just look at what happened in Tennessee. No description of the shooter released until some 12 hours later. Now if he'd been a white guy shooting up blacks, his face would have been plastered all over TV in minutes.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-17 08:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta find the story that talks about what he said before he shot up a military recruiting office, but this is the statement from the FBI:

Quote:
FBI agent Ed Reinhold said Abdulazeez had "numerous weapons" but would not give details. He said investigators have "no idea" what motivated the shooter, but "we are looking at every possible avenue, whether it was terrorism, whether it's domestic, international, or whether it was a simple criminal act."
Little known about suspect in fatal shooting of marines
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 08:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally I agree with you here, but the tides have changed recently in case you didn't notice. Just look at what happened in Tennessee. No description of the shooter released until some 12 hours later. Now if he'd been a white guy shooting up blacks, his face would have been plastered all over TV in minutes.

This is America. We have no problem being racist in different ways to different colors of skin/shades of zealotry. Or, inversely, if we want to benefit someone unfairly for whatever reason. Case in point:

Gotta find the story that talks about what he said before he shot up a military recruiting office, but this is the statement from the FBI:

Quote:
FBI agent Ed Reinhold said Abdulazeez had "numerous weapons" but would not give details. He said investigators have "no idea" what motivated the shooter, but "we are looking at every possible avenue, whether it was terrorism, whether it's domestic, international, or whether it was a simple criminal act."
Little known about suspect in fatal shooting of marines

The other thought from me is that if it was, in fact, an important member of the military or someone with important familial/professional ties, they want to get their ducks in a row. The former seems less likely, but who knows at this point.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-17 08:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Here we go, it's some but I remember reading more.

Quote:
The SITE Intelligence Group, which tracks extremist groups, said that Abdulazeez blogged on Monday that "life is short and bitter" and Muslims should not miss an opportunity to "submit to Allah." Reuters could not independently verify the blog postings.

The New York Times, citing unnamed law enforcement officials, reported that his father had been under investigation several years ago, over possible ties to a foreign terrorist organization. His name was later removed from a terror watch list.
Investigators seek motive behind Tennessee shooting rampage
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-17 08:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

We have no problem being racist in different ways to different colors of skin/shades of zealotry. Or, inversely, if we want to benefit someone unfairly for whatever reason.
Agreed. This is how it works.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 08:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I know we like to harp on me and others regarding "feelz", but I truly do question sometimes how people can be so blindly devoted to a religion that harming other people feels like the right thing to do.

No matter how many bad things get done "in the name of Allah", I could never bring myself to even think "just kill them all" because I know there are billions of perfectly peaceful Muslims just trying to get by day to day like the rest of us.

Yet somehow, these extremists think just senselessly killing people -- even their own -- is somehow righteous.

Full marks to the terrorist organizations for attaining ultimate indoctrination level and all, but...ugh.

Bring on the rise of the lizards.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-17 08:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Some murderers who successfully please insanity end up sentenced to life in an asylum anyway. Mostly it's just a matter of fighting for a different kind of prison in these cases.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-17 08:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

*** that, lizards smell terrible. let's kill all of them too.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 08:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Some murderers who successfully please insanity end up sentenced to life in an asylum anyway. Mostly it's just a matter of fighting for a different kind of prison in these cases.

No, yeah, I'm aware of that.

Just that guilt was pretty much never in question yet it still takes three years and surely has appeals coming down the pipe.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 08:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

*** that, lizards smell terrible. let's kill all of them too.

That's what they're saying about us!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-17 08:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

News here said the shooter was someone who admired ISIS "efforts". So I guess it's an act of idolatry.

Which is also what I've been thinking is one of the most dangerous things born from ISIS. Lot of young muslims around the world with bitter lives who see these guys as someone to emulate.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-17 08:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Here we go, it's some but I remember reading more.

Quote:
The SITE Intelligence Group, which tracks extremist groups, said that Abdulazeez blogged on Monday that "life is short and bitter" and Muslims should not miss an opportunity to "submit to Allah." Reuters could not independently verify the blog postings.

The New York Times, citing unnamed law enforcement officials, reported that his father had been under investigation several years ago, over possible ties to a foreign terrorist organization. His name was later removed from a terror watch list.
Investigators seek motive behind Tennessee shooting rampage

Welcome to American liberal politics and media, where if you shoot up a marine base in the name of Islam, we don't call you an Islamic terrorist. But if you watch the "Dukes of Hazard", you're most certainly a racist.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 08:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
News here said the shooter was someone who admired ISIS "efforts". So I guess it's an act of idolatry.

Which is also what I've been thinking is one of the most dangerous things born from ISIS. Lot of young muslims around the world with bitter lives who see these guys as someone to emulate.

And they're so *** hard to deal with because...what? You kill them? You make them martyrs to their various agents and idolaters. You let them be? They keep being *** horrible to everyone they come across.

And you can't wipe out bad guys wholesale without hurting innocents. You just...can't. That's been learned the hard way over centuries. But they're hurting the same innocents already.

It's one big cluster *** and is a large reason I'm the misanthrope I am.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 08:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Welcome to American liberal politics and media, where if you shoot up a marine base in the name of Islam, we don't call you an Islamic terrorist. But if you watch the "Dukes of Hazard", you're most certainly a racist.

You'll turn anything into an opportunity to play the victim, won't you?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-17 08:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll turn anything into an opportunity to play the victim, won't you?Hmmm I have no interest in talking about your point so I'll just call you a victim.

How does that make me specifically a victim?

I mean I'm just pointing out the double standard. Only victims point out double standards?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-17 09:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

That was my whole point. Shoot up a church of black people and within hours the media has a picture of you with a confederate flag. Shoot up a military recruitment center in the name of Allah, and well we can't figure out why he did it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-17 09:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Yes, I know. If I'm not spouting off meaningless commentary on random campaign soundbites then obviously I'm waving my Clinton 2016 flag while hugging my Hillary body pillow.

C'mon. Honestly, you recognize the jedi mind trick and secretly hope it works right?
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 09:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll turn anything into an opportunity to play the victim, won't you?Hmmm I have no interest in talking about your point so I'll just call you a victim.

How does that make me specifically a victim?

I mean I'm just pointing out the double standard. Only victims point out double standards?

Honest question at face value: Did anyone -- here, at least -- say you're a racist for watchin' a couple of good ol' boys, never meanin' no harm?

I personally didn't see anyone (again, here) say it should be taken as far as it's gone.

Your dragging the rebel flag thing into this is a complete tangent.

All they're looking to do is confirm his motive one way or another. Was it wrong for people to speculate that the South Carolina shooting was race-related before it was confirmed? To a degree, yes. It was an easy conclusion to reach, but it was wrong to assume so before facts were out. Just like assuming this guy was a terrorist or had terrorist sympathies before the facts were out.

But it appears now he does, so. Feel free to say so.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-07-17 09:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

with videos of his repeated prison rapes on the big screen in the theater he shot up
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 09:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Yes, I know. If I'm not spouting off meaningless commentary on random campaign soundbites then obviously I'm waving my Clinton 2016 flag while hugging my Hillary body pillow.

C'mon. Honestly, you recognize the jedi mind trick and secretly hope it works right?

For what it's worth, if Hilldawg gets the Dem nod, I'm not voting Democrat. I mean, no Republican you want to see on the GOP ticket would get my vote either, but at least we're agreed that she isn't a good option for president, one way or another.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-17 09:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

That was my whole point. Shoot up a church of black people and within hours the media has a picture of you with a confederate flag. Shoot up a military recruitment center in the name of Allah, and well we can't figure out why he did it.

I find it funny, I open my mouth sometimes and its like I've thrown a bag full of bacon in front of a pack of dogs otherwise playing fetch.

I'm totally flattered.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-17 09:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
with videos of his repeated prison rapes on the big screen in the theater he shot up

I actually suspect that is what the entire process is about at this point. His attorney trying to get him a semi-solitary confinement padded cell rather than general population. He'd get eaten alive, maybe literally.

I think that would be wrong and I wouldn't applaud that, because the idea is revolting on a visceral level.

But I wouldn't kick up a fuss, either.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-17 09:14:45
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
First Page 2 3 ... 780 781 782 ... 1375 1376 1377