Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 772 773 774 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-15 17:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Replace some of your bodies molecules with 80ppm (the estimated increase of CO2 since 1960) of plutonium.

Hold on, I can clickbait this.

"Liberals Suggest Putting Plutonium In Your Body To Combat Global Warming"
By fonewear 2015-07-15 17:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I combat global warming by walking instead of driving to my mailbox !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-15 17:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I combat global warming by walking instead of driving to my mailbox !

Climate experts combat global warming by flying fleets of private jets to Switzerland to talk about how people can reduce their carbon footprint.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-15 18:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Pantafernando 2015-07-15 18:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Also to go back on what was discussed earlier: I always found incredibly arrogant how each generation undermines the artistic value of the following ones.
Music today isn't ***(well, not all of it), you're just old and cling to the past. And current generation will do the same with the next one..music was so much better in 2020, what's up with these kids of 2050?!

Personally, I dont agree nor disagree with you but I have a diferent opinion.

I believe there isnt music but music genres. And in every generation, some genres becomes more prominent because of amount of fans. There are always some few unique artistics that completely transform a genre into something new, diferent, interesting and create a new path that is followed by its own generation as inspiration, and will also entice its generation fans. For example, Elvis Presley, Beatles, Nirvana, etc. transformed the rock and roll, and with his unique characteristic, lots of fans and artists started to adore/to imitate resulting in others famous bands but not entirely new concepts, just slight changes over the musical core thats popular in a generation.

But I dont believe a genre is unlimited on its own. Its actually pretty limited and soon anyone who tries to follow the knowed genre will face problems to create something interesting, because hardly he will surpass the huge amount of works done in that genre or create anything diferent. It will just become a cheap copy of bands from the past.

In that case, I agree with the previous generation criticizing the following one. IMO, anyone that tries rock and roll in 2010s are bound to be empty copies of songs that we are tired to hear over decades, and the current generation dont even really like rock and roll. Most are more into pop, dance, or any regional popular genre. The target public, the rock and roll lovers, wont be interested in any new rock after hearing all the work done for decades.

Aside that nowaday there is less time to actually appreciate music imo. The current life is so rushed with tasks and demands. In my opnion is very rare someone stopping some doing just for the sake of hearing music, aside music concerts. For me, music is something I hear while working or traveling, most of time hearing just to hear something, not because I want to hear that song. So, its natural to think the nowaday music with less romantic bias than previous generation as music nowaday is so influenced by industry, using business method instead artist inspiration. Music nowaday, IMO, is more a product than a kind of art.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-15 18:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Excellent artists exist today, and meh ones existed then.
The fact that you don't recognize yourself in the modern evolution of music does not make them inherently bad. You(generic) need to have an open mind about genres if you want to evaluate the artistic quality of contemporary music. Otherwise we're all peasants cause in the past centuries classical music was all the rage!
You can appreciate the past without hating the present(I don't say you have to necessarily like it, but you can't have a holier than thou attitude towards modern times).
[+]
By Pantafernando 2015-07-15 18:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Poor Tsipras, now having to convince the parliament to aprove the measures he asked the population to refuse in the referendum...

He said he will renounce if the parliament dont suport him. So, i believe his time is over, the show is over.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-15 18:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The meeting ended already, they had to approve by midnight. And they did, not much cause they're on board with him, but cause they had no other choice at this point..good luck Greece.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-15 20:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

How's Jade Helm going? It officially started on the 15th.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-15 20:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Are you really basing all your faith in the ability of people to use modeling to explain the past? Does it really not matter to you that for the last 30 years when they've taken those algorithms (Al Gore Rhythms?) and pushed them out 5-10-20 years, they've consistently been wrong? Why does that not matter? Would you give your 401k money to a stock broker who claimed to be able to predict the stock market but has never been able to earn his clients any money?

1. Are you really trying to state that algorithms have remotely anything to do with Al Gore?

2. So, you don't invest in the stock markets then?

Any stock broker that says they can predict the markets (using one of them new fangled algorithms) is a big fat liar. 401k's (which are not just stocks) contain a portfolio of options to hedge against failures. Many of the options will lose money, consistently, but the average will increase because of the winners, usually. Whether it beats inflation over time, eh, that depends on a large variety of factors over time which cannot be accurately predicted, consistently.

Generally, I'm really not sure why people are so skeptical of climate models but put their faith in economic models. The models used for both concepts are similar but the economic models -which fail constantly- are given a pass and they are a helluva lot less complicated than climate models.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-15 20:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

401k's are for chumps. Just buy gold and silver and hold onto it for 15-20 years.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-07-15 20:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
401k's are for chumps. Just buy gold and silver and hold onto it for 15-20 years.

If your employer has any kind of decent match, you should do what you can to get the match. That's free money.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-15 21:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Roth IRAs seem like a good deal as well. Maxing that out annually is usually a safe bet.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-07-15 21:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty well. The Walmart tunnels worked perfectly, so everyone on the Red List has been taken care of. Our new Chinese overlords have been most gracious, allowing us to return to our homes once reeducation is complete. My only complaint is that the Texas flag looks a little odd with a hammer & sickle where the star used to be.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-15 21:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omael said: »

Pretty well. The Walmart tunnels worked perfectly, so everyone on the Red List has been taken care of. Our new Chinese overlords have been most gracious, allowing us to return to our homes once reeducation is complete. My only complaint is that the Texas flag looks a little odd with a hammer & sickle where the star used to be.

I guess that explains why Rick Perry's Twitter feed has been full of praise for Karl Marx today.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-07-15 21:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Congratulations, You Tied Lincoln Chafee in 2016 Poll

Quote:
A Monmouth University poll has some seriously bad news for Lincoln Chafee. The candidate of about 6 six weeks did not get a single vote in a survey of 1,001 registered voters who are Democrats or lean that way. "To be clear, this does not just mean that the former Rhode Island governor got 0 percent of the vote, leaving room for him to receive some votes but not enough to amount to 1 percent," notes a post at Mother Jones. "No: Chafee received exactly zero votes in the poll."
Newser

Poll: Lincoln Chafee Has No Supporters
Mother Jones

Quote:
A month and a half into his presidential campaign, Lincoln Chafee is having trouble connecting with voters—even a single one. A Monmouth University poll released today reports that the Democratic presidential candidate "registered no support."

To be clear, this does not just mean that the former Rhode Island governor got 0 percent of the vote, leaving room for him to receive some votes but not enough to amount to 1 percent. No: Chafee received exactly zero votes in the poll, according to a research associate at Monmouth University. The poll surveyed 1,001 adults and included 357 Democratic or Democratic-leaning registered voters in the results.

Just 9 percent of respondents to the poll have a favorable opinion of Chafee, largely because 78 percent have no opinion of the little-known candidate. Efforts to boost his name recognition haven't been helped by the fact that he's raised hardly any money and has even been locked out of his own Facebook account. The Chafee campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-15 22:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

From the man who swapped 5 terrorist leaders for a deserter, comes the Iran deal. If you like your nuke free Iran, you can keep your nuke free Iran.

If you live in a large city, now's the time to sell. Obama has sold us out.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-15 22:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Baseless fearmongering never gets old.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-15 22:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither does endless water carrying.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-15 22:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Notice how none of your doomsday fantasies ever come true? Its because they are always wrong.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-07-15 22:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi's ebola model had us all dead of illegal immigration about 3 months ago. How is it you all still draw breath?
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-07-15 22:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi's ebola model had us all dead of illegal immigration about 3 months ago. How is it you all still draw breath?

We've been dead the whole time, and this is hell?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-15 22:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

His fear of ebola was priceless.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-15 22:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, way to ruin the ending. The only reason I still bother to live is so that I don't miss the final Shayamalan plot twist.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-15 23:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey lets give the guys who chant "Death to America" a 100 billion dollars on the promise they won't build a nuclear weapons program.

You guys are all insane.
[+]
 Cerberus.Laconic
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-07-15 23:35:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey! Like 4-5 people on this forum are only partially insane tyvm!
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-15 23:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Another doomsday fantasy falls by the wayside.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-15 23:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Hey lets give the guys who chant "Death to America" a 100 billion dollars on the promise they won't build a nuclear weapons program.

You guys are all insane.

Yeah, time will tell, but that deal appears to be beyond sketchy at this point.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-15 23:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like Lost...
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Roth IRAs seem like a good deal as well. Maxing that out annually is usually a safe bet.

That's highly variable. They have a fixed annual contribution maximum regardless of your income, the principle is already taxed, and you can manage the investments. But, they're also pretty poor as a primary retirement plan because of the way they're taxed, especially if you go over those limits. If you have a variable income, like sales, they can really limit how you are able to withdraw without suffering some crazy tax spikes. And, as Rooks said, if your employer matches contributions to a 401k, you should definitely take that free money and the tax deductible nature of it.

Like all long-term investments, they're situational.
First Page 2 3 ... 772 773 774 ... 1375 1376 1377