Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 758 759 760 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-07-13 13:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Again... global warming or no... efforts to curb our pollution for our own health and welfare seems to be a good idea. I mean we should totally keep doing as much damage as possible right?

Sure, I mean lets quadruple our electric rates too. I mean what kind of American isn't comfortable paying that much more for something that isn't even capable of being quantified.

Works so well for our public education system amirite?
When did your electric rates quadruple?

Pollution is capable of being quantified... We have cleaned up significantly in some areas. I do not want cheaper electricity at the cost of ever increasing health bills because I can't breathe correctly or my water has been poisoned.

But I digress... I forget everything is about the almighty dollar even if the time to have or spend it is cut drastically short.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-13 13:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

CO2 is not a pollutant. We breath it out.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-13 13:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh, yeah, it is.

Quote:
any substance, as certain chemicals or waste products, that renders the air, soil, water, or other natural resource harmful or unsuitable for a specific purpose.

Just because it's natural, and needed in certain amounts doesn't mean that undesired levels aren't pollutants.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-07-13 13:33:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Go stand in a room and full of it and tell me how that works out for ya.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-13 13:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Again... global warming or no... efforts to curb our pollution for our own health and welfare seems to be a good idea. I mean we should totally keep doing as much damage as possible right?
I'm all about not dumping toxic waste and chemicals, specifically mercury, or releasing large amounts of methane into the air, and even CFCs. Reducing ocean acidity, sure. But the war on C02, nah.

Even recycling of metal, I'm all for, there is even good money in that. Plastic, we could do without, especially in terms of dumping it in ground or having it released into oceans and lakes. Recycling plastic is not very environmentally sound either. I also like the idea of curbing Styrofoam, specifically in the food service industry.

But once again to put the main focus on CO2 and blame CO2 for everything, that's where I draw the line.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-13 13:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If a rapid decrease in sunspot activity can cause such dramatic cooling, why is it that the recent higher levels of sunspots can’t possibly account for any warming we’ve seen?
It isn't that higher levels of sunspots (or more accurately, the higher number of faculae that form around the sunspots) can't possibly account for warming; adjusting for differences in solar radiation is relatively simple compared to other aspects of climate modeling (for example, the albedo).

It's a decent question; there are certainly many potential variables; it's one of the things you look for when doing a sensitivity analysis. If the variability isn't already included (either as a raw input or post-albedo), I'd be fairly surprised.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-13 13:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, I mean lets quadruple our electric rates too. I mean what kind of American isn't comfortable paying that much more for something that isn't even capable of being quantified.

Pennsylvania and Ohio are case studies in the quantifiable damage pollution and irresponsible mineral extraction can deal when not sufficiently reigned in.

Between industry and smoking (direct and second-hand) asthma and COPD are near-epidemic in this region. Two summers ago there wasn't a sunny day in Western Pennsylvania that didn't come with an air pollution warning popping up on my weather app.

Pittsburgh, still polluted

Quote:
...Nearly all of Western Pennsylvania’s air-quality monitors, individually, give readings among the worst one-third in the nation.

In my latest comparison of readings from more than 600 individual small-particle pollution monitors nationwide, from 2011 through 2013, I found:

• Air quality measured at Beaver Falls was among the worst 10 percent of the nation’s monitors.

• Air quality measured at Avalon was similar — in the worst 10 percent.

• Air quality in Lawrenceville is in the worst 25 percent in the nation.

Monitors in Greensburg, Charleroi and Kittanning — nowhere near Liberty — gave readings in the worst 20 percent in the nation.

There are a dozen air-quality monitors measuring small-particulate matter in Western Pennsylvania and nearly all, except North Park and South Fayette, give some of the worst air-quality readings in the country.

Bolded because, well, hey. This is where I'm posting from right now.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-13 13:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

That's like saying eating fecal matter is perfectly healthy since we excrete it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-13 13:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You really need to have a better definition of what is/isn't a pollutant than simply things that are/are not human emissions.
That's generally speaking why levels of concentration are important.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-13 13:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

That's like saying eating fecal matter is perfectly healthy since we excrete it.
It makes great fertilizer.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-13 13:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Go stand in a room and full of it and tell me how that works out for ya.

Right because one day if we keep going at the rate we are the .04% we currently have in out atmosphere will eventually become .1% in which case....

....still nothing bad will happen.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-13 13:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I'm all about not dumping toxic waste and chemicals, specifically mercury, or releasing large amounts of methane into the air, and even CFCs. Reducing ocean acidity, sure. But the war on C02, nah.

Even recycling of metal, I'm all for, there is even good money in that. Plastic, we could do without, especially in terms of dumping it in ground or having it released into oceans and lakes. Recycling plastic is not very environmentally sound either. I also like the idea of curbing Styrofoam, specifically in the food service industry.

But once again to put the main focus on CO2 and blame CO2 for everything, that's where I draw the line.

*** all that I'm not sorting paper from plastic !
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-13 13:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

We produce too much waste. It's no wonder one of the key points of modern industrial research is tailored around the concept of sustainability. We need to move towards cleaner forms of production - and projects do exist worldwide for this, in about all fields.
But there is too much political involvement in keeping the status quo.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-13 13:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, there's alot of shiteating on FFXIAH, believe you me.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-13 13:40:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

It makes great fertilizer.

Wait you mean human waste is actually useful and perfectly manageable?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-07-13 13:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

CO2 is not to blame for everything and it isn't taking the blame for everything. It's also not blameless either.

In any case from what I've read about any of this we're pretty much on the path we are on and there's no fixing it unless we completely cut all emmissions which is not a reality at this time.

Not to say that we shouldn't do anything to stop it nor am I looking to over tax businesses for certain emissions but things do need to be done that make it safer for us in there here and now. It gets bad when you just do anything you can to cut costs and ***everything up in the process.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-13 13:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Save planet *** the planet. If it was so great it would safe itself !
By Ramyrez 2015-07-13 13:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

Oh, there's alot of shiteating on FFXIAH, believe you me.

I had thought to make that reference, but I figured I'd leave it for someone else.

I'm a giving person.
By fonewear 2015-07-13 13:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

We got boy scouts to save the planet. Those little *** love to pick up garbage off the side of highways.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-13 13:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

CO2 is not to blame for everything and it isn't taking the blame for everything. It's also not blameless either.

In any case from what I've read about any of this we're pretty much on the path we are on and there's no fixing it unless we completely cut all emmissions which is not a reality at this time.

Not to say that we shouldn't do anything to stop it nor am I looking to over tax businesses for certain emissions but things do need to be done that make it safer for us in there here and now. It gets bad when you just do anything you can to cut costs and ***everything up in the process.

If it gives any solace about my point of view, the only reason I'm in favor of heavily taxing and regulating these industries is because they've shown time and again they can't be trusted to self-regulate.

If they can prove they're able to clean up their acts and keep it so all on their own, I'm all for cutting out government bloated middlemen.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-13 13:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Save planet *** the planet. If it was so great it would safe itself !

Save the planet, ride a coal miner?

Wait, that doesn't work...

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-13 13:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-13 13:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If it gives any solace about my point of view, the only reason I'm in favor of heavily taxing and regulating these industries is because they've shown time and again they can't be trusted to self-regulate.

If they can prove they're able to clean up their acts and keep it so all on their own, I'm all for cutting out government bloated middlemen.
To them it's just written off as a business expense. And since the only way to be competitive is to cut corners (let's say), the smaller companies go out of business and sell off to the ones that can afford the fines like it's no big deal, thus creating large monopolies.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-13 13:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
We got boy scouts to save the planet. Those little *** love to pick up garbage off the side of highways.
And prisoners.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-13 13:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are missing the important issues like F 35 jets !

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-13 13:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The core argument of the global warming alarmist goes something like: "we're cooking the planet with our emissions of CO2." After all, cars don't really emit methane.
By fonewear 2015-07-13 14:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

CO2 killed my father ! It's true he was working in a CO2 plant. Breathed in a little bit too much. Be careful people !
By fonewear 2015-07-13 14:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Watch out for that carbon monoxide too that ***is the leading cause of global cooling in the world !
By fonewear 2015-07-13 14:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we should ban humans from exhaling all that CO2 we are putting into the atmosphere is dangerous.
First Page 2 3 ... 758 759 760 ... 1375 1376 1377