Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 699 700 701 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 07:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
For those who don't know, the problem with government contracts is that the companies who win contracts are experts at winning government contracts and NOTHING else.

Indeed. Outside of everyone bitching about the DMV (which I've NEVER had a problem with in Pennsylvania), the big problem with perceived "government workers" is that most of the "government workers" they see...aren't. They're employees of government contractors, and government contractors tend to be *** awful.
By fonewear 2015-06-25 07:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Michael Moore is the worst and that is saying something...consider the amount of terrible pundits.
 Asura.Wormfeeder
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-06-25 08:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Hinamori said: »
I feel like they have been wanting to take that flag down for a long time, and are using the shooting in Charleston as an excuse to take it down. The NAACP is always out for blood, and once again people are trying to start riots over here. It's disgusting, why can't people just let this community mourn and leave them be?
Because the liberal progressive don't care about peoples feelings if it gives people like sharpton and others of his ilk tv time. The only people perpetuating racism in this country is the liberal progressive whos policies are what are keeping minorities down.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 08:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Wormfeeder said: »
I feel like they have been wanting to take that flag down for a long time, and are using the shooting in Charleston as an excuse to take it down. The NAACP is always out for blood, and once again people are trying to start riots over here. It's disgusting, why can't people just let this community mourn and leave them be?
Because the liberal progressive don't care about peoples feelings if it gives people like sharpton and others of his ilk tv time. The only people perpetuating racism in this country is the liberal progressive whos policies are what are keeping minorities down.

Yeah.

You realize that's only half right, don't you?

Race is an issue in this country, and really, idiots on both sides of spectrum are keeping it quite alive, albeit for a host of different reasons (though, oddly, "money" is a factor on both sides. Who would have thought!?)
By fonewear 2015-06-25 08:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Wormfeeder said: »

You must be racist...to defeat racism though !
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-25 08:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Except thats not the daily life of an anesthesiologist... or a lot of doctors/medical professionals.

I'd like you to find a somebody who works in a hospital and actually takes care of patients. If you want to get more specific, find an anesthesiologist who works in a hospital. I've got a crap ton of nurses in my extended family and I spent a lot of time in hospitals as a child due to an ill parent, so I'm not unaware of what goes down. Good luck finding one who doesn't deal with a lot of terrible stuff.
Can I use my anecdotal evidence to prove you wrong as well? It wouldn't be hard to go to a random hospital either and find someone like that.

I don't get why you seem to be getting so angry over this as you scramble to find some kind of justification for these people actions.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 08:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Can I use my anecdotal evidence to prove you wrong as well? It wouldn't be hard to go to a random hospital either and find someone like that.

I don't get why you seem to be getting so angry over this as you scramble to find some kind of justification for these people actions.

In fairness, he started off in the first place stating that he did feel what they did was wrong. He's just tempering it with an understanding of why it happens and said he was torn on exactly how hard to be on them. At least, that's what I took away from it.

I don't think anyone has said it's okay or is trying to justify it; even Nausi, who brought up the topic, hasn't really endorsed the action, only mocked the financial settlement.

Which...I can say I don't know that I'm entirely in agreement with the punitive damages awarded, but it's message sending to other physicians as much as anything.

I know for me the falsifying of the medical records and instructing the PA to lie to the patient are the biggest problems here by a mile. Even if it's a "harmless" joke diagnosis.

It's just something you don't do.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-25 08:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

They shouldn't have been fined for defamation at all. It's honestly something that they should lose their license to practice medicine and be fined for falsifying medical records no matter how harmless you might think it is. Hell you'd probably be doing them a favor since, as people keep pointing out, they can't handle all the horrible things in front of them on a daily basis so they have to mock and .

Besides, "gallows humor", isn't about directly verbally attacking a patient. There are many people that have to deal with stressful situations and many other ways to successfuly deal with em. for those that can't seem to and will use that as an excuse they should get some help or find a new profession. It's not really like you go into the medical field thinking you'll never have to deal with a sick person.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 08:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like you're being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative, because I'm not sure exactly what it is I said you're disagreeing with.

You basically just agreed with everything I've said on the topic, just wording it differently, as I said page(s) ago that the malpractice is by far the bigger issue and licenses should certainly be revoked. I only called it "harmless" because while, in this case, it was a "joke" (read: idiotic stunt) that wouldn't cause major harm, it's something that simply cannot be tolerated in a medical situation.
By fonewear 2015-06-25 08:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
I feel like you're being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative, because I'm not sure exactly what it is I said you're disagreeing with.

You basically just agreed with everything I've said on the topic, just wording it differently, as I said page(s) ago that the malpractice is by far the bigger issue and licenses should certainly be revoked.

Welcome to the internet logic need not apply !
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-25 08:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

They shouldn't have been fined for defamation at all. It's honestly something that they should lose their license to practice medicine and be fined for falsifying medical records no matter how harmless you might think it is. Hell you'd probably be doing them a favor since, as people keep pointing out, they can't handle all the horrible things in front of them on a daily basis so they have to mock and .

Besides, "gallows humor", isn't about directly verbally attacking a patient. There are many people that have to deal with stressful situations and many other ways to successfuly deal with em. for those that can't seem to and will use that as an excuse they should get some help or find a new profession. It's not really like you go into the medical field thinking you'll never have to deal with a sick person.
It's pretty frightening that defamation now apparently occurs between two doctors who are "joking" around in the operating room.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 08:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Welcome to the internet logic need not apply !

Well, I wouldn't grossly generalize it as the internet as a whole, or even this forum as a whole. I realize some people around here think otherwise, but you can -- in fact -- think logically about something and still arrive at a different conclusion from someone else.

But Surcroseslacks here likes to argue!
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 08:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
It's pretty frightening that defamation now apparently occurs between two doctors who are "joking" around in the operating room.

This one's on the jury. The felt that what was said could be construed as serious. And in that light it is, in fact, defamation.

I think it's a slight stretch, but there is some merit to the argument, as a physician directing a PA/nurse/etc. could very well be misconstrued.

TL;DR don't make fun of a guy's nethers when you're operating on them and you won't have a problem.

Edit: All of this to say, I don't necessarily disagree with you, Nausi. But I do think there's room for interpretation from a legal standpoint and even though I don't agree, the decision makes some degree of sense from a technical standpoint.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-25 09:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

You basically just agreed with everything I've said on the topic, just wording it differently, as I said page(s) ago that the malpractice is by far the bigger issue and licenses should certainly be revoked. I only called it "harmless" because while, in this case, it was a "joke" (read: idiotic stunt) that wouldn't cause major harm, it's something that simply cannot be tolerated in a medical situation.
Not really. This sprouted from Rav wanting to find a way to defend these people "cuz they got it hard!" and you stepping in to kinda try and back him up on the whole they go through some ***man... like it somehow excuses any of their actions or makes them any more professional.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-25 09:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Supreme court re-writes law, yet again.

Scalia suggests the court should rename the law to "SCOTUS-care"
By fonewear 2015-06-25 09:16:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Supreme Court they are still around ?
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-06-25 09:18:18
Link | Quote | Reply

They can joke around all they want, just not about the person who entrusted his/her body to them expecting to be treated professionally.

Would you have been ok with being mocked like that while lying unconscious?

How about if the patient was a woman, and the doctors made dirty comments about her while making faces? (that's one I heard from one of my seniors).

There's something called "dignity" that many humans value more than anything.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-25 09:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
They can joke around all they want, just not about the person who entrusted his/her body to them expecting to be treated professionally.

How about if the patient was a woman, and the doctors made dirty comments about her while making faces? (that's one I heard from one of my seniors).

Make sure you don't harm my dignity then Zeig or I'll sue you for 50k each pop.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-25 09:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The jury awarded the man $100,000 for defamation — $50,000 each for the comments about the man having syphilis and tuberculosis — and $200,000 for medical malpractice, as well as the $200,000 in punitive damages.
Just to be clear here they only awarded $100,000 for defamation. of which the anesthesiologist was responsible for $50k.

They sold the defamation charge because there was appearantly more people in the room than just his doctor, up to three others, and that's how they got it past but yeah still on the edge there.

If this scares you then you should go into a courtroom more often for trials like these and you might find some other ones that scare ya even more than have been happening for quite some time. Venue plays a huge role in the outcome and that's why you'll see lawyers opting for certain venues if they see an opportunity to get out of one.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-25 09:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »

Make sure you don't harm my dignity then Zeig or I'll sue you for 50k each pop.
They actually made a demand of somewhere around 1.75 mil combined for defamation, malpractice and punitive.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-25 09:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Hear that Zeig? 50k is getting off easy!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-25 09:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Supreme Court they are still around ?

Maybe the law identified itself as successful and the court is just being tolerant of that?
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 09:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really. This sprouted from Rav wanting to find a way to defend these people "cuz they got it hard!" and you stepping in to kinda try and back him up on the whole they go through some ***man... like it somehow excuses any of their actions or makes them any more professional.

I have called it unprofessional from the start.

It's not supporting or defending a thing to see a reason why they did a thing. I straight-up called it unprofessional and said they should lose their jobs/licenses very early on in this...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-25 09:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not supporting or defending a thing to see a reason why they did a thing. I straight-up called it unprofessional and said they should lose their jobs/licenses very early on in this...
It actually is defending it. There is absolutely no reason for what happened to happen and no excuse. Having a stressful working environment does not somehow cause someone to falsify medical records. It also doesn't cause them to call someone gay and make fun of where they went to school.

As I said before "gallows humor" as you referred to it as a way to cope with stress doesn't lead to this type of behavior and it is definitely not the "why they did a thing"
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 09:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not defending it. If I were defending it, I'd be saying so. What they did is inexcusable.

You're confusing a "reason for doing something" with a "justification or excuse" for doing it.

Combine said dark humor with someone who is a jerk in the first place and this is what can happen.

You're just bored and looking for nits to pick.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-25 09:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It actually is defending it. There is absolutely no reason for what happened to happen and no excuse. Having a stressful working environment does not somehow cause someone to falsify medical records. It also doesn't cause them to call someone gay and make fun of where they went to school.

As I said before "gallows humor" as you referred to it as a way to cope with stress doesn't lead to this type of behavior and it is definitely not the "why they did a thing"

If you have a chance, listen to the audio. It's not delivered with much malice, there's no doubt she's trying to be funny.
By fonewear 2015-06-25 09:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

This whole conversation is boring to me. I'm not a medical malpractice lawyer though...
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 09:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

there's no doubt she's trying to be funny.

Subjective.
By fonewear 2015-06-25 09:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Problem one she is a woman funny is not an inherent trait !
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 09:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

This whole conversation is boring to me. I'm not a medical malpractice lawyer though...

Really? You're getting lazy in your old age.

The doctor's a woman, clearly there's a chance to insert feminist jargon here.

Here, I'll help you:

This lawsuit is clearly because she's a woman. Down with the phallocracy!
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 699 700 701 ... 1375 1376 1377