Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 691 692 693 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-23 10:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
First, I didn't put words in your mouth. I asked a question. See how that works?

Why would it symbolize autonomy? Because it was the flag they flew when they wanted to secede from the union and become autonomous. That's a pretty simple concept to grasp.

They fought and died for in the civil war. The reason for which goes far beyond the umbrella of "slavery". I'd never deny that slavery had context in the civil war, but people who reduce it to that, really don't have any clue as to history.

Being narrow minded isn't generally characterized when people are open to a wide understanding of different interpretations. I understand that some people get offended by oversimplified (and thus narrow minded) symbolism of a flag, I just think it's a pretty dangerous precedent for society to capitulate to such an ill informed mob

You're so funny when you try and make something meaningful out of nothing, it's like watching a bad car salesman sell a car (an insult to counter yours)
I hope you understand that now every time I ask you a question... I shouldn't be surprised you didn't see what I was doing there...

Except losing a civil war doesn't really symbolize autonomy. It could symbolize seccession or not being able to win or follow through on that seccession...

The only clue you seem to provide over and over is that it wasn't all about slavery so it doesn't seem like you know all that much about it and just want people to see you say hey not all about slavery... Slavery may not have been the only reason but it was more than just "having context"

My point is that you're so narrow minded about so many things that you post about on here that it laughable to accuse or even criticize others for doing so. maybe take some of your own advice? Why? because it's not your ill-informed mob demanding something?

What was I trying to make meaningful out of nothing? It wasn't an insult. You are literally very narrow minded on a lot of topics so it is a joke for you to call someone else that. Especially when you call me that in this situation as I'm not even against them keeping it there. The last part of it is what I think. I honestly think that you're so focused on what you think is wrong or right that you ignore the hypocrisy of your statements in favor of your own argument.
By fonewear 2015-06-23 10:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

May I suggest the flag of losers and douchebags !

[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-06-23 10:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

civil war has been reduced to just slavery;
reenactors to pay reparations for enjoying such a monstrous event

more at 11, this has been your trustworthy liberal news source
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 10:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
May I suggest the flag of losers and douchebags !

I think we can all agree on that as the right call to make.

[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-06-23 10:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
This is getting personal. Stick to the issue, please.

says the guy calling my heroic ancestor a drunk pyromaniacs!

/glove slap

I demand satisfaction!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 10:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
civil war has been reduced to just slavery;
reenactors to pay reparations for enjoying such a monstrous event

more at 11, this has been your trustworthy liberal news source

Oooh. Another contender!

Would you care to tell us how it wasn't all about slavery?

Please keep in mind that any argument you make cannot be considered valid if it can be followed with "because they want to take away our slaves."

As in: "It was about states' rights, because the federal government wanted to take away our states' slaves!"
By fonewear 2015-06-23 10:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's hard to believe but there are forums worse (or better) than ours...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19
By Jetackuu 2015-06-23 10:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

People think it wasn't about slavery because the rich white man tricked the poor white man into fighting their war for them.

It's funny when you analyze it and realize this battle is still going on today. Edit: or just sad.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-23 10:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I'll nuke every last one of you myself before I let this become a bodybuilding forum.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-06-23 10:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I'll nuke every last one of you myself before I let this become a bodybuilding forum.
Close enough?:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/20645/fitness-and-nutrition-general
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-06-23 10:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

have you seen the post ur pics thread?

half of us can't muster the strength required to click the link to the body building forum
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-23 10:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would it symbolize autonomy? Because it was the flag they flew when they wanted to secede from the union and become autonomous. That's a pretty simple concept to grasp.

They didn't want to become autonomous states, they attempted to form their own union where their voices would be a larger part of the whole, and the whole would be more aligned with their views.

Being narrow minded isn't generally characterized when people are open to a wide understanding of different interpretations. I understand that some people get offended by oversimplified (and thus narrow minded) symbolism of a flag, I just think it's a pretty dangerous precedent for society to capitulate to such an ill informed mob

There are people who believe the civil war was only about slavery, there are dumb people, go figure. We're not talking about the reasons for the civil war, we're talking about the confederate flag as a symbol. Symbols represent things, and in the case of the confederate flag, it represents slavery, segregation, bombing black churches, lynchings, rape, murder, etc. Hence my swastika example. It's a symbol who's original meaning has been tainted and nearly erased by the actions that took place beneath it in the 30's and 40's. The confederate flag may have been representative of more than racism and hate at one point, but now it's got too much blood on it, and good taste would discourage people from flying it, and does.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-06-23 10:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Oooh. Another contender!

Would you care to tell us how it wasn't all about slavery?

Please keep in mind that any argument you make cannot be considered valid if it can be followed with "because they want to take away our slaves."

As in: "It was about states' rights, because the federal government wanted to take away our states' slaves!"
would you care to tell me why civil war reenactors can get away with not being labeled a hate group if it was only about slavery?

i mean, i'm not going to say slavery wasn't a major cause of the war, but you're skipping a step and saying the flag directly represents the cause of the war instead of the war itself..
By fonewear 2015-06-23 10:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm the product of American school system so we just said. Slavery then went on to other history !
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 10:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
There are people who believe the civil war was only about slavery, there are dumb people, go figure

To say any war is about just one issue is a fallacy. The thing about the American Civil War is that slavery is so intertwined with every facet of the war, that while you can't say "it was only about slavery", you can say that slavery was at the heart of nearly every other issue encompassed.

So for all intents and purposes, it was about slavery, even if some of those fighting either didn't understand that, or truly felt they were being patriots to their own homes.

Again, I understand the desire to honor those who fell defending their homes, kin, and beliefs.

I just think it's more unfortunate still that many died not really knowing what they were actually defending.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-06-23 10:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

civil war reinactors

dude we are complete video game dwebelzoid nerds and even we pity them...

they have enough problems.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 10:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

would you care to tell me why civil war reenactors can get away with not being labeled a hate group if it was only about slavery?

...the same way we can make a movie about the Civil War and have actors play confederates and not immediately think they must actually be slaver sympathizers?

They're acting.

Now, on the other hand, if once the act is over, they take off their Grey coat, light up a Marlboro red and hop into their Ford F250 sporting dual tires, stacks, and rebel flags...

...yeah, that's really all I need to know to judge them.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-23 10:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So for all intents and purposes, it was about slavery, even if some of those fighting either didn't understand that, or truly felt they were being patriots to their own homes.

I just think it's more important to differentiate the causes of the war and what their symbols represent 160 years later.
By fonewear 2015-06-23 10:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

My friends we have reached a level of nerd culture that is a new low:

LARPING !

By fonewear 2015-06-23 10:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Beware I have a plus one mace:

Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-06-23 10:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

They're acting.

They're acting in the setting of their choice, as a hobby not a career. They chose to represent the southern states of the civil war, out of all the potential time periods and sides. It's not like they're people who put out an acting resume and took the job offered. If the only value the south side of the civil war has is as a placeholder for slavery, then I repeat, why are they not a hate group?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 10:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't think LARPing is any worse than playing beer league baseball/softball/hockey/football/basketball.

Either way you're emulating a fantasy your lame *** is never going to actually achieve.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 10:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

They're acting.

They're acting in the setting of their choice, as a hobby not a career. They chose to represent the southern states of the civil war, out of all the potential time periods and sides. It's not like they're people who put out an acting resume and took the job offered.

...so if I join a community production of Othello as Iago, I'm voluntarily saying I'm a murdering sociopath with a penchant for soliloquy?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-23 10:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not the only one that recreates Shakespeare plays in my back yard ! Damn !
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-23 10:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

...so if I join a community production of Othello as Iago, I'm voluntarily saying I'm a murdering sociopath with a penchant for soliloquy?

Well, that's certainly easier than waiting for the police negotiator to drag it out of you.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 10:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that's certainly easier than waiting for the police negotiator to drag it out of you.

I want my lawyer.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-23 10:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to reenact being black as a white person the results ended with me going to jail !
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-06-23 10:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a symbol, and it's base it was designed to represent that group of people. A community production is a spectacle for the entertainment of those who visit, many reenactments are closed and only exist for the enjoyment of participants. If the only value of that group is slavery, then why isn't it racist to voluntarily pretend to be a member of that group for your own enjoyment?
By fonewear 2015-06-23 10:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the sudden urge to join/watch a civil war reenactment !

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 10:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

then why isn't it racist to voluntarily pretend to be a member of that group for your own enjoyment?

Maybe they just like playing the bad guy when they play pretend.

Maybe they actually do hold race-related negative feelings and this is the way they act them out.

I'm not in their individual psyches, I don't know.

But the fact that we're discussing a bunch of beered of guys' weekend recreational plans sort of proves the point of how few good arguments there are to be made for your viewpoint.
First Page 2 3 ... 691 692 693 ... 1375 1376 1377