Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 668 669 670 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Jetackuu 2015-06-16 11:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Read an article about a school math teacher who makes too much money to qualify for assistance but doesn't make enough to live comfortably. She often goes hungry throughout the day. Eats peanutbutter sandwiches, shops for clothes at walgreens and her child goes hungry throughout the day too since they barely make ends meet.
Then as I continue reading...

Quote:
We have health insurance, sort of. In my district, insuring the two of us would cost $800 a month for health insurance, so I use the ACA health care exchange for my daughter. It still costs me $311 a month for her insurance with my subsidy, which is more than my car payment and nearly half my rent. Needless to say, going to the doctor is a luxury. I had an ear infection for three months, and my daughter often doesn't tell me when she is in a lot of pain either, knowing that the co-pays will mean less money for food for ourselves or her cats and our dogs. An accident that required stitches left us $1,500 in debt after the insurance was paid, and I continue to chip away at that bill $50 at a time.

then I wonder to myself...why do they have pets if they can barely live and make rent.

full article
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-mach/im-a-teacher-and-i-do-whatever-it-takes_b_7593840.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

If you can't feed your child, it's time to cook the pets, free meal.

But she really needs to manage her money better if those are her only expenses and she's not able to put food on the table. I see that it makes no mention of the area, or actual salary, no surprise there as the story would be ripped to shreds.

Also: it's disturbing that she lets her child stay outside a school for what, an hour without supervision, regardless of the weather? What's wrong with the bus?
By Ramyrez 2015-06-16 11:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
The local deli in a supermarket slices off your run of the mill wheel of Boar's Head ham or peppered turkey. In the fridge after a few days that turkey starts to taste awful, it's best after 1-2 days tops. The cheese will last much longer naturally. Weeks.

Hmmm. I dunno, it's normally gone in 2-4 days in my house because if it's not I forget about it most of the time and it leaves the back of that drawer after a bout a month when it's a liquified back of protein. Yesterday's example was an outlier.

As for cheese, cheese will last literally as long as you can still manage to scrape the mold off of it and still have something resembling a slice of cheese. However, if it's provolone and starts to resemble Swiss, I'd let it go.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-16 11:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
If you can't feed your childpets, it's time to cook the pets,child. Free meal, pets provide more love and take less.
 Cerberus.Laconic
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-16 11:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-mach/im-a-teacher-and-i-do-whatever-it-takes_b_7593840.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

We have health insurance, sort of. In my district, insuring the two of us would cost $800 a month for health insurance.
An accident that required stitches left us $1,500 in debt after the insurance was paid, and I continue to chip away at that bill $50 at a time.

Yup, damn those pets.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-16 11:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
If you can't feed your pets, it's time to cook the pets. Free meal.
Yet they aren't people, they're property.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-16 11:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't it already SOP that one accident in this country could literally set you back decades?

I'm sorry I don't have 50k lying around in a war chest for some unforseen accident that comes my way.

Back to cold cuts: I usually buy small enough portions to be finished in two sittings though if you've got a family to feed on a budget you're probably better off buying a whole chicken/pork shoulder to last a week than doing the cold cuts route. Or Tilapia in bulk.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-16 11:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought Conservatives would stand by me when I say that birth control education prevents people from depending on the system they so loathe. Less children being conceived means less need for abortions. That other thing so loathed.

But I was wrong. Keep the people stupid, reproducing without checks and then surprise surprise when children are in dumpsters or whoring themselves out to break bread wag that finger of 'personal responsibility' while everything burns.

Glad I'm not poor! Out of sight, out of mind.
[+]
 Cerberus.Laconic
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-16 11:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice broad assumption and giant leap from sandwich making.

I'd say conservatives think sex-ed can wait until teenage years then only teach things that need to be know.

I think it is interesting that people think that not wanting to teach kindergarteners about being gay and using "toys" is considered a bad thing.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-16 11:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sandwich making is a good skill that women need to learn though...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-16 11:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

***. The national conservative platform is essentially abstinence, family values, hard opposition to abortion with no real answers on how to reverse teenage preganancy / dependence on welfare.

Show me the conservatives pushing comprehensive sex ed in schools rather than wasting everyone's time with more biblical literalism, and I'll eat my crow.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-16 13:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, if you listen to the most hard-lined idiots on the right, then I can see where you're coming from. If I remember correctly, we've discussed this in the past and most conservatives in here are fine with sex ed being taught in schools to a reasonable degree. And by reasonable I mean the most pertinent facts at an applicable age, not shilling out agenda-driven books aimed at elementary school kids. I think you mostly just have a problem with the nutcase evangelicals. Even then, I don't see most people having a problem with contraception either, just the idea of forcing employers to pay for it. There's a difference.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-16 13:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Eh, if you listen to the most hard-lined idiots on the right, then I can see where you're coming from. If I remember correctly, we've discussed this in the past and most conservatives in here are fine with sex ed being taught in schools to a reasonable degree. And by reasonable I mean the most pertinent facts at an applicable age, not shilling out agenda-driven books aimed at elementary school kids. I think you mostly just have a problem with the nutcase evangelicals. Even then, I don't see most people having a problem with contraception either, just the idea of forcing employers to pay for it. There's a difference.

What you're saying isn't what's practiced in many places, especially in the south, where...you know. I hate to suggest that correlation may be causation, but they're the areas where teen pregnancy rates are the highest.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-16 13:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Laconic said: »
sex-ed can wait until teenage years
Define teenage. Cause kids start masturbating around 10~11(and no I don't care at what age *you* started, they're growing in a world that is different than yours), and sex can start as soon as 13. So I'd say they should learn about it by middle school.

teach kindergarteners about being gay
..care to remind me why you're not banned Altima? Maybe I should remind the mods.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-16 13:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're going to hold the south as the conservative gold standard, Detroit says hi. As for Seha's comment, middle school makes sense.
By volkom 2015-06-16 13:45:32
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-16 13:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

What does sex ed have to do with teaching kindergardners about being gay or using sex toys? Or is this just more baseless rhetoric aimed at sniping sex ed courses?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-16 13:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Most conservatives in here =/= playmakers currently running the party platform. The platform that consistently bats candidates who want to go hardline on any type of sex education. But it's not surprising considering the obsession with party purity going on right now. Also you're ducking into a partisan issue about paying for birth control, a complete nonissue to what im saying.

What I'm saying: Conservatives aren't pragmatically attacking the realities that people have sex, teens should know about sex to make informed, responsible decisions. Isn't this the party of personal responsibility? Well, how can you be personally responsible if you're ignorant about the facts?

You can talk about shilling out agenda driven works all you want but conservatives have failed to bat anything approaching their answer to teen pregnancy and abortions that isn't pie in the sky nonsense. Show me the conservative materials for teens or the pro-condom, pro-sex, pro-life, pro-birth control and again - I'll eat my crow.
[+]
Server: Balmung
Game: FFXIV
user: Yatenkou
By Tsubasa Ryunosuke 2015-06-16 13:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
sex-ed can wait until teenage years
Define teenage. Cause kids start masturbating around 10~11(and no I don't care at what age *you* started, they're growing in a world that is different than yours), and sex can start as soon as 13. So I'd say they should learn about it by middle school.

teach kindergarteners about being gay
..care to remind me why you're not banned Altima? Maybe I should remind the mods.
tbh everybody in my area claims to have had sex after 16 and 18 years of age.

I recommend you leave him alone and let the mods handle it if anything.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-16 13:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

There's actually a pretty big group of people that have a problem with contraception. It wouldn't actually be a problem at all being covered on health plans if it wasn't for people having an issue with it.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-16 13:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know many Protestant groups who are against contraception. Isn't that mostly just the Catholics?
By Ramyrez 2015-06-16 14:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're going to hold the south as the conservative gold standard, Detroit says hi. As for Seha's comment, middle school makes sense.

The problem is these policies are in practice, and they're pandered to by politicians, and it's an extremely large voting base.

I'm not saying the south is representative of all conservatives, but I am saying it's going to be a problem nationwide as long as they remain as they are.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-16 14:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know many Protestant groups who are against contraception. Isn't that mostly just the Catholics?

Not even close. Many, many protestant Bible literalists don't even think masturbation is okay.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-16 14:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is these policies are in practice, and they're pandered to by politicians, and it's an extremely large voting base.

I'm not saying the south is representative of all conservatives, but I am saying it's going to be a problem nationwide as long as they remain as they are.

Fair enough. I facepalm enough at the South just like I do California and New York. Pandering to the loudest idiots is not wise.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-16 14:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the play here really to blame Catholics and no true Scotsman the Bible Belt?
By Ramyrez 2015-06-16 14:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
no true Scotsman the Bible Belt?

Which is funny, because so many of them are descendant of...wait for it...

Scots!

Not really sure how they messed up such a good thing so quickly.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-16 14:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a difference.
Not really. It's preventative healthcare, there's no logical reason that if they're paying for healthcare that they should be able to pick and chose what they want to pay for. One's healthcare is between them and their doctor.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-16 14:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Not even close. Many, many protestant Bible literalists don't even think masturbation is okay.

I'm looking for specific groups, otherwise you're making an assumption based on a stereotype. For example, LDS people are extremely pro-abstinence and yet not at all anti-contraception. One does not mandate the other.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-16 14:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a difference.
Not really. It's preventative healthcare, there's no logical reason that if they're paying for healthcare that they should be able to pick and chose what they want to pay for. One's healthcare is between them and their doctor.

Most insurance covers vasectomies.

Just sayin'.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-16 14:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a difference.

Most insurance covers vasectomies.

Just sayin'.

We've already addressed this. Nobody has issue with vasectomies/oophorectomies.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-16 14:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking for specific groups, otherwise you're making an assumption based on a stereotype. For example, LDS people are extremely pro-abstinence and yet not at all anti-contraception. One does not mandate the other.

Conservative evangelicals, largely, though we're getting more into religious theory and personal belief now rather than specific doctrine.

The fact remains that, again, the south is overwhelmingly protestant and these are the areas that are most hellbent on teaching abstinance-only...

Then again, that also plays into the "taboo" nature of sex, and people insisting that sexuality is terrible, awful, and should never be discussed or admitted to, and you're a terrible person for having sexual thoughts.
First Page 2 3 ... 668 669 670 ... 1375 1376 1377