Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 268 269 270 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Ramyrez 2015-02-11 11:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Ramyrez said: »
The problem is, his craft isn't "quality film making" his craft is "making buttloads of money for studios."

What's wrong with making bank? T1-2 are legendary status, Titanics practical effects are amazing for its day (actual setbuilding?!) and then again in the CGI arena with Avatar.

But not one of them is actually a good story. :p

Are we really looking for a compelling story in action movies? That's Cameron's genre afterall. I praised his practical work in his films (behind the scenes on all his films are a good watch) and his ability to deliver on what he's good at. Blockbusters.

You could take that stance, but then you'd have to hold him accountable for the *** idiotic allegory in Dances With Wolves With AliensAvatar.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-11 11:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Costco does actually treat a majority of their workers like ***. At least in Canada.

They've been known to violate numerous work and safety laws.
Individual stores, most likely.

But I guess since we are branding everything in a group based on a few bad people, then humanity is ***and we must all kill ourselves because somebody murdered somebody today.
It's not just individual stores - it's basically the same thing across all of Canada.

They also make employees, and potential employees jump through hurdles and mazes of red tape just to be considered for a promotion/job application, instead of basing it on good work, or applicable credentials on a resume.
If that was a corporate policy, then Costco needs to be heavily fined for that. But I highly doubt the executives are that stupid to enact policies that would create illegal workplace situations.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-11 11:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

many of them have gone without a break for 12 hour shifts
Nobody complained?

Again, it would be limited to individual stores (or a specific region if the regional manager is implementing said policy, and if that's the case, needs to be fired on the spot).

If corporate policy, then the shareholders need to pressure the Board to fire the whole executive team.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-02-11 11:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Retail is ***. Steaming diarrhea dog ***. Stomach churning projectile ***spraying all across the room, in your face and on children.

QED
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-11 11:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Costco does actually treat a majority of their workers like ***. At least in Canada.

But I guess since we are branding everything in a group based on a few bad people, then humanity is ***and we must all kill ourselves because somebody murdered somebody today.
It's not just individual stores - it's basically the same thing across all of Canada.

They also make employees, and potential employees jump through hurdles and mazes of red tape just to be considered for a promotion/job application, instead of basing it on good work, or applicable credentials on a resume.
If that was a corporate policy, then Costco needs to be heavily fined for that. But I highly doubt the executives are that stupid to enact policies that would create illegal workplace situations.
They have been heavily fined. Repeatedly, but haven't really made the necessary changes, because they've been established here long enough that they aren't going anywhere.

It was the same thing Target tried to do, but they didn't have an established customer base.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-11 11:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, I know people who love working there too, but they still have their gripes about it.

They get steep discounts on products that are already at wholesale prices, but many of them have gone without a break for 12 hour shifts, because management is too busy sitting on their *** to take over for 15 minutes at a register.
Not required to give breaks in VA at least, idk about up there in the hat.
By Bloodrose 2015-02-11 11:16:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody complained?

Again, it would be limited to individual stores (or a specific region if the regional manager is implementing said policy, and if that's the case, needs to be fired on the spot).

If corporate policy, then the shareholders need to pressure the Board to fire the whole executive team.
People did complain. Many of those people had quit, transferred to other stores where management actually cared (which were very few in any region), or quit and called the BoB for workplace violations.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-11 11:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

They have been heavily fined. Repeatedly, but haven't really made the necessary changes, because they've been established here long enough that they aren't going anywhere.

It was the same thing Target tried to do, but they didn't have an established customer base.
Only solution I can see is bad press. Except, for some reason, the media loves Costco.

I don't shop there, I don't give a flying rats *** about stores like Walmart or Costco. I only buy my crap at local grocery stores (actually, only one store).

And that store certainly does not treat their employees like crap. There are too many employees with buttons signifying 15+ years of employment.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-11 11:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody complained?

People did complain. Many of those people had quit, transferred to other stores where management actually cared (which were very few in any region), or quit and called the BoB for workplace violations.
Then the executive team needs to be fired and replaced.
By fonewear 2015-02-11 11:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Retail is ***. Steaming diarrhea dog ***. Stomach churning projectile ***spraying all across the room, in your face and on children.

QED

I blame consumers ! We need to boycott buying stuff and things.

Hell with a new computer I'm going to make one out of wood and iron !
By Jetackuu 2015-02-11 11:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Many years of service certainly correlates to them not treating their employees like crap, but it doesn't void the possibility.

I knew people who worked at the local Kmart (before it shut down) for over 30 years, they still treated their employees like ***, they just dealt with it, as for most it was a (somewhat) stable job.
By fonewear 2015-02-11 11:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Many years of service certainly correlates to them not treating their employees like crap, but it doesn't void the possibility.

I knew people who worked at the local Kmart (before it shut down) for over 30 years, they still treated their employees like ***, they just dealt with it, as for most it was a (somewhat) stable job.

That is Sears for you. Turning a good American company into *** !

Actually K mart was ***before Sears too

Anything with a "mart" in it is bad. Except for Adult Mart.
By Bloodrose 2015-02-11 11:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a federal workplace and safety law that requires all people in the majority of industries (barring emergency services, first responders, and such) to give an employee a minimum 15 minute break after 5 hours work. In some industries where heavy lifting is a requirement, it's a 5-10 minute break every hour.

In workplace situations where there is possible risk to heat stroke (such as working in large, heavily populated convention centers for events) the rule is 5 minute breaks every 15 minutes.

A lunch break (30-60min) must be offered to employees if working for more than 5 hours. *this can be in lieu of the standard 15 minute break, and doesn't have to be a paid break (8 hours of work) unless stipulated in the work agreement (8 hour shift)*

Very few industries or positions in those industries, are allowed to schedule an employee to work for more than 10 hours, and a requirement of 8 hours of rest between shifts is mandated by law.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-11 11:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Kmart technically bought out Sears, they just took the Sears name as it had a less tarnished reputation.

Unfortunately the guy in charge would rather sell off all the assets to artificially adjust quarterly numbers instead of actually fix the problems.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-11 11:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a federal workplace and safety law that requires all people in the majority of industries (barring emergency services, first responders, and such) to give an employee a minimum 15 minute break after 5 hours work. In some industries where heavy lifting is a requirement, it's a 5-10 minute break every hour.

In workplace situations where there is possible risk to heat stroke (such as working in large, heavily populated convention centers for events) the rule is 5 minute breaks every 15 minutes.

A lunch break (30-60min) must be offered to employees if working for more than 5 hours. *this can be in lieu of the standard 15 minute break, and doesn't have to be a paid break (8 hours of work) unless stipulated in the work agreement (8 hour shift)*

Very few industries or positions in those industries, are allowed to schedule an employee to work for more than 10 hours, and a requirement of 8 hours of rest between shifts is mandated by law.

Yeah, that alone would improve the conditions below the hat a lot, unfortunately it's not going to happen easily.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-11 11:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately, businesses do not make it a practice to publish their employee policies to the public. So, you can never tell what a company's policy on employee retention is.

That is the only sign you can tell with how a company treats their employees is the ratio of "years of service" to "number of employees" in that company.

Sounds similar to OSHA to be honest.
By fonewear 2015-02-11 11:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Kmart technically bought out Sears, they just took the Sears name as it had a less tarnished reputation.

Unfortunately the guy in charge would rather sell off all the assets to artificially adjust quarterly numbers instead of actually fix the problems.

Eddie Lampert is the American dream !
By fonewear 2015-02-11 11:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to work at Sears during high school I can attest to the shitty quality in everything they do.

More concerned with pushing credit cards than anything else.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-11 11:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately, businesses do not make it a practice to publish their employee policies to the public. So, you can never tell what a company's policy on employee retention is.

That is the only sign you can tell with how a company treats their employees is the ratio of "years of service" to "number of employees" in that company.
It's not the only way, and even if it were, it's still a horrible way.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-11 11:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to work at Sears during high school I can attest to the shitty quality in everything they do.

More concerned with pushing credit cards than anything else.
Yeah, they did incorporate that after the "merger."
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-11 11:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds similar to OSHA to be honest.
I found out it was also law that each employer is supposed to make aware to it's employees, the employee/employer rights employment handbook, and hand them out to each employee upon being hired, so they can have the opportunity to read and review it before actually starting work. Unfortunately, this was something that didn't come to my attention until after my workplace accident 10 years ago.

Reason being? It's not taught as part of the curriculum in CALM classes, and I've never seen a business so much as mention it during an interview, or after being hired.

There are so many workplace safety and hazard prevention laws that the big box stores completely neglect, or don't even educate their management on.

Edit: I believe it was originally tied to the difference between Canadian and American worker retention, because businesses in Canada tend to hold employees longer than their counterparts working in the same company in the US.
By Bloodrose 2015-02-11 11:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that alone would improve the conditions below the hat a lot, unfortunately it's not going to happen easily.
The unfortunate side, is that many employees, especially first time workers, and those just entering the workforce, do not receive this information from their employers, nor is it that easy to find, until after an accident occurs.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-11 11:35:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, there's even some required OSHA policies that need to be posted at each place of business in the US, unfortunately the better protections only apply to certain fields (typically hazardous, like truck drivers for example).

A lot of fields are left to fiend for themselves though, and usually resort to collective bargaining in the form of a Union, as a somewhat necessary evil as their political voice is stamped out by lobbyists.

It's a shame really, and literally this is why we cannot have nice things!
By Ramyrez 2015-02-11 11:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

And that store certainly does not treat their employees like crap. There are too many employees with buttons signifying 15+ years of employment.

Lack of options -- either due to locale or limitations of the employee -- most certainly does not mean job satisfaction or the presence of proper employee treatment.

It means they're in a position where they have the need for that job and the patience to deal with any crap they're given.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-11 11:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Technically speaking, we have a very similar federal law here, however....

Many states have adopted at-will employment standards which basically neuter it. The at-will employment agreement means that either the employer or employee can end the relationship at any time without reason. That paves the way for no breaks, mandatory overtime without additional compensation and ridiculously long shifts. It also means they are not responsible for any paid or unpaid leave that isn't in accordance with FMLA or ADA.

I worked for a company that had mandatory 10 hour days, 6 days a week, no lunch break, no vacation, no overtime pay, no health insurance, and routinely fired people for requesting raises or time off. They would also manufacture a reason for the dismissal to attempt to block any kind of unemployment insurance claims.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-11 11:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The unfortunate side, is that many employees, especially first time workers, and those just entering the workforce, do not receive this information from their employers, nor is it that easy to find, until after an accident occurs.[/quote]

I don't know what HR departments you've dealt with, but every job I've had I have to sit through lectures or videos of this crap, or even worse: interactive CBT.

So even if they do offer it, they offer it in such a "lower the standard" type of way, it's mind numbing to sit through, and most zone out.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-11 11:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

Technically speaking, we have a very similar federal law here, however....

Many states have adopted at-will employment standards which basically neuter it. The at-will employment agreement means that either the employer or employee can end the relationship at any time without reason. That paves the way for no breaks, mandatory overtime without additional compensation and ridiculously long shifts. It also means they are not responsible for any paid or unpaid leave that isn't in accordance with FMLA or ADA.

I worked for a company that had mandatory 10 hour days, 6 days a week, no lunch break, no vacation, no overtime pay, no health insurance, and routinely fired people for requesting raises or time off. They would also manufacture a reason for the dismissal to attempt to block any kind of unemployment insurance claims.
Where in federal law is most of that? If it were in Federal law, then it would be irrelevant as to what the state law is, as Federal law trumps state law, always. Overtime requires compensation by law, if you're not getting paid for it then you need to talk to a lawyer, no state law invalidates that.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-02-11 11:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You could take that stance, but then you'd have to hold him accountable for the *** idiotic allegory in Dances With Wolves With AliensAvatar.

that was pretty uncomfortable watching in a theater half-full of native americans.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-11 11:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

that was pretty uncomfortable watching in a theater half-full of native americans.

I'll bet.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-02-11 11:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

luckily I was high.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 268 269 270 ... 1375 1376 1377