Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 195 196 197 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-14 14:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Indeed we did.

Also, I think everyone can agree, that Lordgrim *should* run for President, without any kind of financial backing, and see where that takes him.

Considering he wouldn't get anywhere without presidential ad campaigns, camera crews, etc, press publication, and so forth.

No certifiably insane person would be able to make it into office anyway.

*Looks at a list of current government officials*

Strike that. He has a chance.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-14 14:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Indeed we did.

Also, I think everyone can agree, that Lordgrim *should* run for President, without any kind of financial backing, and see where that takes him.

Considering he wouldn't get anywhere without presidential ad campaigns, camera crews, etc, press publication, and so forth.

No certifiably insane person would be able to make it into office anyway.

*Looks at a list of current government officials*

Strike that. He has a chance.
All he needs to do is run in an area that's teeming with certifiable insane people who are willing to vote for him.

So, Los Angeles, San Diego, or Berkeley?
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-14 14:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I think to make it into politics (as a career instead of being a civil servant to the people) requires one to be at least completely insane.

Political affiliation doesn't matter in this regard.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-01-14 14:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I think to make it into politics (as a career instead of being a civil servant to the people) requires one to be at least completely insane.

I like to refer to myself as "highly functional" which sounds way better than bat ***crazy... /shrug

you say potato
dan quayle says potatoe
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-14 15:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

I like to refer to myself as "highly functional" which sounds way better than bat ***crazy... /shrug

you say potato
dan quayle says DEVIL FRUIT!

ftfy
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-01-14 15:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

you say potato
dan quayle says potatoe

or High Functioning Sociopath for extra points.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-01-14 15:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we really arguing whether or not it's appropriate to expect the most powerful man in the world to go someplace within 40 hours, but 120 hours is ok??

C'mon guys, people within the administration are admitting he should have gone. There's no reason to continue to carry THIS water for him. It really makes you look desperate.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-01-14 15:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

What people?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-14 15:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

White House Press Secretary said that a high profile person should have gone. I guess Obama isn't considered a high profile person.

They would have done well to send somebody important, like Bohener or McConnell, or even Cruz there.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-01-14 16:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually surprised you're pro-this stuff, KB. It has the smell of libs all over it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-14 16:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Pro what stuff?
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-01-14 16:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

What did I tell you about pretending to be stupid. If I'm wrong, just say it.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-01-14 16:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
What did I tell you about pretending to be stupid.

I can assure you, he's not pretending.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-14 16:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

What did I tell you about pretending to be stupid. If I'm wrong, just say it.
You have to elaborate on what you are saying.

You can't say something broad and expect everyone to understand you.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-01-14 16:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure most everyone knows what I'm talking about, but whatever.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-14 16:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure most everyone knows what I'm talking about, but whatever.
If you are going by this page alone, there are two topics I'm discussing: Sanity of politicians and Obama not going to France. In fact, those are the two topics I have been talking about for the last 2 pages.

So no, it's not obvious to anyone, since I'm in a continuing conversation between the two.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-14 18:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll vouch for you Jos. I'll give the police the grim details
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 07:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
EDIT: At least we're getting a head count of people who remember the mid-nineties.

I'm here. I'm not indulging in Canadian whine-rock, but I'm here.
I'm still butthurt over the term "Canadian whine-rock"

I'm a huge Rush fan. Get over the butthurt. She sucks; just the way it is.

At least she's not Celine Dion. Ugh.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 07:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Conservatives shrug off Bush and Romney, remain confident in base-friendly hopefuls

There isn't a single conservative candidate here worth endorsing.

And the liberal potentials aren't all that inspiring either. The only one I like (Elizabeth Warren) would better-serve her causes as staying where she is. And she's denied she'll run anyhow.

I'm seriously reaching George Carlin levels of "If I vote, I'm complicit in the shitfest that follows, so maybe I'll just stay home".
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-15 07:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Rush and maple syrup are why I allow Canada to exist
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 08:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
Rush and maple syrup are why I allow Canada to exist

I like their place in the hockey world, too, though I despise most of the Canadian franchies (well, not so much the actual teams as the very visible and vocal fans).
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-15 08:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Not an ice soccer fan
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 08:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Police and CPS investigate Maryland couple for not being helicopter parents

Quote:
Danielle and Alexander Meitiv say they are being investigated for neglect for the Dec. 20 trek — in a case they say reflects a clash of ideas about how safe the world is and whether parents are free to make their own choices about raising their children.

“We wouldn’t have let them do it if we didn’t think they were ready for it,” Danielle said.

She said her son and daughter have previously paired up for walks around the block, to a nearby 7-Eleven and to a library about three-quarters of a mile away. “They have proven they are responsible,” she said. “They’ve developed these skills.”

The Meitivs say they believe in “free-range” parenting, a movement that has been a counterpoint to the hyper-vigilance of “helicopter” parenting, with the idea that children learn self-reliance by being allowed to progressively test limits, make choices and venture out in the world.

“The world is actually even safer than when I was a child, and I just want to give them the same freedom and independence that I had — basically an old-fashioned childhood,” she said. “I think it’s absolutely critical for their development — to learn responsibility, to experience the world, to gain confidence and competency.”

I don't know about the rest of you, but I spent my entire childhood from about 6 years old+ walking home at least half a mile from school, depending where I lived (I moved several times), along with about 30 other kids, at minimum, who lived "too close" for the bus systems.

We were taught not to speak to strangers, to never get in a vehicle with a stranger or take gifts or food from them. Etc.

Yet -- somehow -- CPS has a hard time managing to investigate and remove children from actual dangerous, neglectful, abusive situations.

Child services has serious issues in this country where if you aren't being an overbearing parent turning your child into a codependant headcase, you're somehow engaging in neglect.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-15 08:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Danielle and Alexander Meitiv say they are being investigated for neglect for the Dec. 20 trek — in a case they say reflects a clash of ideas about how safe the world is and whether parents are free to make their own choices about raising their children.

“We wouldn’t have let them do it if we didn’t think they were ready for it,” Danielle said.

She said her son and daughter have previously paired up for walks around the block, to a nearby 7-Eleven and to a library about three-quarters of a mile away. “They have proven they are responsible,” she said. “They’ve developed these skills.”

The Meitivs say they believe in “free-range” parenting, a movement that has been a counterpoint to the hyper-vigilance of “helicopter” parenting, with the idea that children learn self-reliance by being allowed to progressively test limits, make choices and venture out in the world.

“The world is actually even safer than when I was a child, and I just want to give them the same freedom and independence that I had — basically an old-fashioned childhood,” she said. “I think it’s absolutely critical for their development — to learn responsibility, to experience the world, to gain confidence and competency.”

I don't know about the rest of you, but I spent my entire childhood from about 6 years old+ walking home at least half a mile from school, depending where I lived (I moved several times), along with about 30 other kids, at minimum, who lived "too close" for the bus systems.

We were taught not to speak to strangers, to never get in a vehicle with a stranger or take gifts or food from them. Etc.

Yet -- somehow -- CPS has a hard time managing to investigate and remove children from actual dangerous, neglectful, abusive situations.

Child services has serious issues in this country where if you aren't being an overbearing parent turning your child into a codependant headcase, you're somehow engaging in neglect.
I was raised in a similar fashion. If I somehow missed my bus, I was expected to walk to school. The bus pick up was at a community rec center, about 10-12 kilometers from school crossing a bridge over a river.

Even after that, when I moved to the city I am in, at the age of 9, I had to walk to school from home, which was roughly 5km every day, to and from, except on special occasions.

Not only does it do wonders for teaching responsibility, it can be good exercise a child wouldn't ordinarily get in today's world. (Damn it, now I sound way *** older than my age)

20 years is a huge damn difference from then and now.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-01-15 08:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I spent my entire childhood...

missing out!

Strangers have the best candy!

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 08:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I spent my entire childhood walking home at least half a mile from school, depending where I lived, along with about 30 other kids, at minimum, who lived "too close" for the bus system.

Child services has serious issues in this country.
When I was 7, I walked down to the convenience store all the time by myself (without my 6 year old sister) and there was never a problem (mind you, this was about 25 years ago).

There's a mob mentality going on that we must all be helicopter parents, and apparently these officers agree....
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 08:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I spent my entire childhood...

missing out!

Strangers have the best candy!