Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1361 1362 1363 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Jetackuu 2016-03-23 07:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Washington DC

Not a fan of the 23rd.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-23 08:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
They're one of the few groups of people he is very careful not to alienate.

***DISCLAIMER, NOT TRYING TO START A RELIGIOUS OR REGIONAL FIGHT***

He has too many "good old boy" mindset (male and female) supporters across the country who match the WASP criteria. If he were to alienate Christians by saying "yeah...I really don't give a ***about religion," he'd be *** because he'd then lose his ability to channel that particular portion of the population's rage/victim complex.

He's really, really good at appealing to a lot of victim complexes at once, but he needs all of those groups together, bound by their anger, to have a shot at winning.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-03-23 09:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao, that baby looks terrified.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-03-23 09:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Offered without comment.

http://gawker.com/word-trump-written-in-chalk-terrifies-harms-emory-st-1766477207
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-23 09:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

lol@ "extreme weenie babies"
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-23 09:46:05
Link | Quote | Reply

That's unfortunate.

As much as I despise Trump and think some of his proposed actions violate the Constitution, I don't think a lot of people protesting him really understand how free speech works either and that's almost as scary.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-03-23 10:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The really funny thing, to me, is that I've busted my skinny white *** for over a decade to provide a better chance at life for my children than I had, and now I'm not so sure secondary education really is the route to go. all this work for nothing, should have been trailer folk. I could maybe get drunk enough to enjoy nascar.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
Server: Bahamut
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2016-03-23 10:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
I could maybe get drunk enough to enjoy nascar.

The only way to do that is to get so drunk you forget watching it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-03-23 10:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Heh. I've mentioned it offhand a few times, but yeah.

So are Utah people Utopians, like Michigan people are Michiganders?

Utahns.... Which doesn't sound great, but I grew up in Indiana where we're called Hoosiers even though nobody has a clue wher the word came from or what it means.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-23 10:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Utahns.... Which doesn't sound great, but I grew up in Indiana where we're called Hoosiers even though nobody has a clue wher the word came from or what it means.

I thought they were just called Mormons.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-03-23 10:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The Word Hoosier
Jeffrey Graf
Reference Services Department
Herman B Wells Library
Indiana University - Bloomington

Like barnacles, a thick crust of speculation has gathered over the word "Hoosier" to explain the origin of Indiana's nickname. Popular theories, diligently and often sincerely advanced, form a rich, often amusing body of folklore. Those theories include: "Who's here?" as a question to unknown visitors or to the inhabitants of a country cabin; Hussar, from the fiery European mounted troops; "Huzzah!" proclaimed after victory in a fight; Husher, a brawny man, capable of stilling opponents; Hoosa, an Indian word for corn; Hoose, an English term for a disease of cattle which gives the animals a wild sort of look; and the evergreen "Who's ear?" asked while toeing a torn-off ear lying on the bar room floor the morning after a brawl.

The best evidence, however, suggests that "Hoosier" was a term of contempt and opprobrium common in the upland South and used to denote a rustic, a bumpkin, a countryman, a roughneck, a hick or an awkward, uncouth or unskilled fellow. Although the word's derogatory meaning has faded, it can still be heard in its original sense, albeit less frequently than its cousins "Cracker" and "Redneck."

From the South "Hoosier" moved north and westward with the people into the Ohio Valley, where it was applied at first to the presumably unsophisticated inhabitants of Southern Indiana. Later it expanded to include all residents of the state and gradually lost its original, potent connotation of coarseness in manners, appearance and intellect.

As for the word itself, it may derive from the Saxon word "hoo" meaning promontory or cliff or ridge or rise or hill. Jacob Piatt Dunn, a diligent scholar of the word, believes a Saxon beginning, and such a meaning survives in various place names in England. There is some sense in the notion, too, that those who applied the insult and those to whom it was applied (and who understood it) came primarily from British stock.

The unusual (ier or sier) ending has always been difficult to explain. Might it be from "scir" the old form of "shire?" The Hoo Shire would then be the Hill Country, the High Places or the Mountain Region. Would that meaning then extend to those who lived in the hills, making them the "hooscirs" and later the "Hoosiers," the mountain people, hillbillies by another name?
There's more.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-03-23 10:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup, some interesting theories have come up, but nothing conclusive yet. The best thing to come out of the name was a great movie.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-23 11:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup, some interesting theories have come up, but nothing conclusive yet.

I'll put it on the list for when we get the time machine working...

Kill Hitler
Find out where Hoosiers came from
Kill Stalin
Go "halvesies" with Bill Gates / Microsoft
Kill Chairman Mao
Bet $ on Buster Douglas
Kill Pol Pot
Eat the last dodo egg
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-03-23 12:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »

Quote:

The election in Cormorant, Minnesota, was open to everyone, but Duke the dog won the most votes from the town’s citizens.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-03-23 12:51:34
Link | Quote | Reply

In the aftermath of the Brussels terrorist attack, the most important thing that we can all do now is come together and call Republicans racist.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-23 13:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
In the aftermath of the Brussels terrorist attack, the most important thing that we can all do now is come together and call Republicans racist.

I don't know about the Republicans but there probably is something to be said for the media covering the ***out of Brussels and ignoring similar terrorist attacks in the Ivory Coast and elsewhere.

Terrible attacks, all. It's just frequently disturbing how warped our distorted of world news continues to still be in this day and age at the whim of mainstream media.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-03-23 13:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

I don't know about the Republicans but there probably is something to be said for the media covering the ***out of Brussels and ignoring similar terrorist attacks in the Ivory Coast and elsewhere.

Terrible attacks, all. It's just frequently disturbing how warped our distorted of world news continues to still be in this day and age at the whim of mainstream media.

Turkey. A week prior and quite frequently prior to that instance. I would wager that some Muslims aren't pleased with the lopsidedness of media attention.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-03-23 13:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The media lopsided? Tell me it isn't true!
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-03-23 13:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

They cover those attacks here but Belgium is getting more attention since it's so close to us. Once they happen they get a lot of mention though.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-23 13:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The media lopsided? Tell me it isn't true!

Right?

Then again, the media shows what will get looks.

I'm only guessing, but I'd suggest that the media isn't going for any one agenda, but rather just realizes that they're not going to get viewers among affluent America by showing suffering, poor, black/Islamic people in Africa, the Middle East, or the Eurasian areas.

Our level of apathy for people to whom we can't relate is just too damn high.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-23 13:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone
How many of you would pilot an attack drone if asked?

So...two guys wearing USAF uniforms show up on your front door and they are like "Hey You! You're good at video games and we would like to make you a drone pilot!"

then if you agree they come in and load a program onto your PC and teach you the controls and stuff and basically you pilot the drone to the locations they give you and take out the targets they spot with green laserbeams or someshit.

You can log on any time you want

you can play for as long as you want

the program will only let you fire on targets illuminated with the green laserbeam

they could probably even set it up to autofire at the illuminated targets so all you would have to do is fly back and forth

who is in?
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-03-23 13:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

My reply would flag the NSA... I gotta go to work today, no time for Homeland security busting in my door.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-23 13:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
They cover those attacks here but Belgium is getting more attention since it's so close to us. Once they happen they get a lot of mention though.

Not going to lie. I'm guilty of not even knowing of them until it was pointed out to me some of the outrage regarding the Belgian attack coverage, but not the others immediately before it.

I don't think people are wrong to be upset at the lack of coverage, but I do think some people are wrong in being upset with people sharing their condolences and the like for people in Belgium. I saw one person say that Americans were "obediently" mourning the attacks in Brussels whilst ignoring the slaughter elsewhere.

Most Americans didn't even know about it because we're also busy going to work, picking kids up from activities, painting our houses, whatever. We see what we see in passing on the news most of the time and that's it.

Hence the double-edged sword effect of the issue. The anger and resentment regarding the apathy and lack of awareness by people in those regions is understandable. Yet it's also not really the fault of people trying to go about their day-to-day lives here.

Misery is not a competition. We would do well to be aware of what is going on around the globe and it would certainly be a lot easier if the news media tried to accurately report as such instead of just chasing money.

But then, engendering global empathy and togetherness doesn't seem to be in anyone's best interest. Amirite?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-23 13:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Everyone
How many of you would pilot an attack drone if asked?

So...two guys wearing USAF uniforms show up on your front door and they are like "Hey You! You're good at video games and we would like to make you a drone pilot!"

then if you agree they come in and load a program onto your PC and teach you the controls and stuff and basically you pilot the drone to the locations they give you and take out the targets they spot with green laserbeams or someshit.

You can log on any time you want

you can play for as long as you want

the program will only let you fire on targets illuminated with the green laserbeam

they could probably even set it up to autofire at the illuminated targets so all you would have to do is fly back and forth

who is in?

Did someone finally convince you to read Ender's Game or something?
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-03-23 13:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The most recent attacks are also covered non-stop because of the ties to Sweden (one of them lived here, the guy who was shot when they arrested Abdeslam)
By Ramyrez 2016-03-23 13:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
The most recent attacks are also covered non-stop because of the ties to Sweden (one of them lived here, the guy who was shot when they arrested Abdeslam)

Yeah.

I'm really talking more US mainstream media here.

I didn't see ***about Turkey or Ivory Coast in the past few weeks.

Saw plenty of garbage about celebrities and meaningless drivel from political talking heads grabbing headlines though.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-03-23 13:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

We have that too but it's in the entertainment section

If a celebrity dies it'll be a headline unless there's something more serious to cover, then it gets mentioned a bit down on the site (or back in the paper)

SVT doesn't show any celebrity stuff at all, it's just proper news with the facts they have confirmed.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1361 1362 1363 ... 1375 1376 1377