Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1332 1333 1334 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-11 09:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is it that every post of Saevel is filled with paranoia?

Today they vaccinate you tomorrow they lock you up!!

Dude..lol.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-11 10:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Also, I'm asking a serious question about solutions to the "anti-vax" problem. Anyone with reasonable ideas, besides the obvious 2?

Increase the penalties for child endangerment and wrongful death. If you let your kid die from meningitis, a treatable disease, the penalty should be a lot more than 5 years. I know thats in Canada but still.
Already a 2nd degree felony in the state of Texas.

That's a 2 to 20 year prison sentence and a fine up to $10,000.

I think there's room for discussion on making it a 1st degree felony though. That's up to 99 years of jailtime.

A child is defenseless, their only hope of recovering from an illness is their parents, whether it is a cough or meningitis. Letting the child die because of personal reasons like "God" should carry a lot more than a minimum sentence of 2 years imo.
This isn't "Minority Report." You cannot arrest somebody for having an ideal, however stupid it is.

Like I said before, anti-vax parents have to have their child vaccinated for their child to be accepted to public schools (and most private schools, if the ratio is the same in the nation as it is in Texas). If the anti-vax parent is too lazy or stupid to educate themselves, why should we believe that they will educate their children themselves?

You are pulling one incident that happened in Canada to the extreme.

I didn't say arrest people for an ideal. I said if you let your kid continue on being sick, and possibly even die, there should be a harsh punishment for it.
A felony is a harsh punishment already. And losing 20 years of your life is just as bad.

That's just for child endangerment with a risk of death. If the child dies, that's child manslaughter, and (in Texas) could lead to the death penalty.

But like I said, you cannot arrest people for having an ideal. If the child becomes sick and the parent neglects the treatment, that's the 2nd degree felony right there. If the child dies, that's a capital felony on top of that. The punishments are strict enough, could be stricter if the child survives (bump it up to a 1st degree felony).

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-11 10:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
So the "for your own good" or "for my own good" arguments can never be used as justification for preemptively depriving someone of their free will.

Until the day your free will effectively kills someone.
So, ban all vehicles then?

You are more likely to get killed in a car wreck than to die from a preventable disease. And people kill each other with vehicles due to their "free will" also.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-11 10:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
So the "for your own good" or "for my own good" arguments can never be used as justification for preemptively depriving someone of their free will.

Until the day your free will effectively kills someone.
So, ban all vehicles then?

You are more likely to get killed in a car wreck than to die from a preventable disease. And people kill each other with vehicles due to their "free will" also.

Which is why I maintain as soon as self-driving cars become 1) feasible across the board and 2) are proved to reduce deaths and serious injuries that people-driven cars, they be given the keys.

At least, in theory.

Meh.

As it stands, w/e. Gotta die somehow I guess. I just think preventable deaths from diseases because "zomg fear of vaccines" are some of the biggest tragedies out there.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-11 10:10:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
You're life is not in any real measurable danger because the person next to you didn't get/doesn't have a particular vaccine. That is just asinine.

If they ACTUALLY had the measles or small pox or whatever, your life would arguably be in some amount of danger. Not having the measles and not having the measles vaccine are not the same thing. It's stupid to treat them as if they are.

Forced injections at the barrel of a gun (your words a few pages ago) for diseases people don't even have are not part of any civilized social contract. Especially when the rules seemingly don't apply to the massive flux of people illegally running across the boarders.

You want to talk about risk, the risk of measles ultimately doesn't come from your crazy neighbor who chooses not to vaccinate because she has a problem with risk assessment. It comes from the lot of illegals rushing across the borders. But of course that doesn't fit the narratives of hating on the "right" people. We don't want to do anything about the infected people coming into the country, so instead we'll just ***on the people next to us who make different choices.

Okay, you clearly don't know what herd immunity is, or how any of this works. Feel free to educate yourself, there's an awful lot of research out there to choose from, and the good news is that it all says basically the same thing.

Illegal immigration is an entirely separate problem, but here's the thing; even if they WERE the source of the measles/whatever, THE SPREAD OF IT IS STILL STOPPED BY HAVING AS MANY PEOPLE IMMUNIZED AS POSSIBLE.

Vaccines aren't 100% defense, but a large population, with as many immunized as possible, is what limits the damage, and protects the immunocompromised - the elderly, newborns, people with reactions to vaccines. Your idiocy and ignorance puts those people at risk.

And if you would rather ignore that, and endanger those people, to make a weak talking point against a completely unrelated problem, then *** you.

I'm quite familiar with the concept of 'herd immunity". Despite that, there still are some risks to getting vaccinated. A vaccine, like any medicine, is capable of causing serious problems.

We're ultimately not arguing that the risk of not vaccinating is greater than the risk of vaccinating. We really are both on board with that. I'm arguing that you don't get to make that assessment for everyone else, and that people should make it for themselves. *** you for thinking people shouldn't have that freedom.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-11 10:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh never mind this is pointless.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-11 10:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

We are talking about something that spreads and spreads really fast.
What Savael is saying is that you can use the "public good" excuse used for vaccines to apply to most anything.

Your retort of "until your free will kills somebody" is weak because our free will have been killing people ever since humans existed.

You can't apply a broad retort on a specific cause and expect people to not counter it.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-11 10:19:34
Link | Quote | Reply

What Savael is saying is that you can use the "public good" excuse used for vaccines to apply to most anything.

Your retort of "until your free will kills somebody" is weak because our free will have been killing people ever since humans existed.

You can't apply a broad retort on a specific cause and expect people to not counter it.

There's no vaccine for car accidents.

Sure there is, make them (cars) so expensive that no one can afford them.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-11 10:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not even sure they're capable of understanding the greater concept you're hinting at. They think their intentions are painfully benevolent and could never be anything but.

Truly the pigs from animal farm.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-11 10:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no vaccine for accidental deaths either.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-03-11 10:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I'm asking a serious question about solutions to the "anti-vax" problem. Anyone with reasonable ideas, besides the obvious 2?

I don't think there is a proper solution where everyone is happy. Some countries make it mandatory to be vaccinated to go to school.
US does also. At least, in public schools.
Sorry no. Its a state by state thing. California recently instituted mandatory vaccinations for public school attendance. I think. At least they were talking about it.

Idaho doesn't require them.

Increase the penalties for child endangerment and wrongful death. If you let your kid die from meningitis, a treatable disease, the penalty should be a lot more than 5 years. I know thats in Canada but still.
Already a 2nd degree felony in the state of Texas.

That's a 2 to 20 year prison sentence and a fine up to $10,000.

I think there's room for discussion on making it a 1st degree felony though. That's up to 99 years of jailtime.
A child is defenseless, their only hope of recovering from an illness is their parents, whether it is a cough or meningitis. Letting the child die because of personal reasons like "God" should carry a lot more than a minimum sentence of 2 years imo.
In Idaho and five other states it is perfectly legal to let your child die because religion.

Idaho Defends Crucial Parental Right To Let Own Kids Die For Funsies

Wonkette. You have been warned.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-03-11 10:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Did nausi really just call us all pigs?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-11 10:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Idaho doesn't require them.
My bad, I didn't know.

In Idaho and five other states it is perfectly legal to let your child die because religion.

Seriously, couldn't you find an article with at least a little fact in it instead of a blog?
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-03-11 10:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously, couldn't you find an article with at least a little fact in it instead of a blog?
There is a lot of fact in that article, but even more snark, true.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-11 10:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You're one to judge.
You might align politically with many posters here, but you're own unique case as in every single one of your stances stems from fear.

Dude you're afraid of *** everything and everyone, so much that I'm surprised you even manage to leave your house without being scared shitless.

If bunker jokes are thrown at you and you alone here there is a reason.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-11 10:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that's pretty personal.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-03-11 10:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not even sure they're capable of understanding the greater concept you're hinting at. They think their intentions are painfully benevolent and could never be anything but.

And now, you're going to take a little break.

[Edit: and that means no more piling on him, too.]
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-11 10:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone who disagrees with you is cattle(to be generous), but calling you scaredy-cat is too much. Ok.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-03-11 10:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Endangering public health requires a better argument than "I don't wanna". My cat's breath smells like cat food.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-11 10:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no vaccine for accidental deaths either.

Point being, if it can easily be prevented, then it should.
A whole lot of car accidents are easily preventable also. But free will still kills more people with car accidents than not getting vaccines.

Don't drink and drive™
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-11 10:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Changing to a topic we all care about deeply.

Had a beer called Loose Canon last night.

Good stuff.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-11 10:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I just said don't drink and drive™!

Didn't you see the ™???
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-11 10:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Never heard of that, though it'd be cool to drink a pirate themed beer. Is it blonde? I only like those, dark beers are too sour for my taste.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-11 10:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I just said don't drink and drive™!

Didn't you see the ™???

I only drink in the comfort of my own home or when there's a designated driver that isn't me.

Nuts to you.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-11 10:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
My cat's breath smells like cat food.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-11 10:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Never heard of that, though it'd be cool to drink a pirate themed beer. Is it blonde? I only like those, dark beers are too sour for my taste.

Narp. It's an IPA. Which is about as sour as beer comes most of the time, though this one has a nice citrusy flavor that takes some of the sour bite out of it.

Edit: There are a lot of pirate-themed beers out there though. Finally bought my house, so once things are moved in I'll be buying a fridge for the garage specifically for beer. I'll see what I can find that may be of interest. Though I don't know if such microbrews would even be available on your side of the Ocean. ;
First Page 2 3 ... 1332 1333 1334 ... 1375 1376 1377