Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1128 1129 1130 ... 1375 1376 1377
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-05 16:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

charlo999 said: »
Points have already been answered I'm not going over it again. Your more than capable to go back and read.

You didn't make any, you just restated the same thing over and over. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'd just like to hear some feedback. What specifically do you think makes Christianity or people who do terrible things in it's name any different than Islam and the people who do terrible things in it's name? Is it just a numbers game or is it because you're a Christian?
[+]
 Phoenix.Xantavia
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2015-12-05 16:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
A neighbor of the couple wanted to say something to the authorities but feared the backlash of being labeled an "islamophobe".

Good job lefties! Keep stroking that PC ***, it's making a difference.
What I saw was that the "suspicious" behavior was based on 3 things. One, the guy was working in his garage. Two, he was receiving packages from FedEx. Three, he wasn't white. I guess any male homeowner who works in his garage and receives packages during the holiday season is a potential terrorist then.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-05 17:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
A neighbor of the couple wanted to say something to the authorities but feared the backlash of being labeled an "islamophobe".

Good job lefties! Keep stroking that PC ***, it's making a difference.
What I saw was that the "suspicious" behavior was based on 3 things. One, the guy was working in his garage. Two, he was receiving packages from FedEx. Three, he wasn't white. I guess any male homeowner who works in his garage and receives packages during the holiday season is a potential terrorist then.
Are those the reasons the people gave for suspecting him?
Whatever the reason they suspected the guy were.
They turned out to be true.
If you end up being wrong and looking like an *** there is always an option that can help mend the misunderstanding.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-05 18:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
... The Jews condemned Jesus for religious crimes, but they wouldn't be able to get the Romans to execute him for blasphemy because the Romans didn't give a crap. The Jews made it political by changing the accusation to treason, on the basis of Jesus being seen as the "King of the Jews" and therefore challenging the authorizty of the Romans.
Waitafrickingminute. The Romans ruled many states that had a king.

Also: THERE IS NO TRACE OF JESUS IN THE HISTORICAL RECORD.

Mind you as a Jew and someone educated in history I believe in Jesus as one of the greatest rabbis who ever lived. But the messiah and divine son of god bits? No fricking way.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-05 18:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
... The Jews condemned Jesus for religious crimes, but they wouldn't be able to get the Romans to execute him for blasphemy because the Romans didn't give a crap. The Jews made it political by changing the accusation to treason, on the basis of Jesus being seen as the "King of the Jews" and therefore challenging the authorizty of the Romans.

Also: THERE IS NO TRACE OF JESUS IN THE HISTORICAL RECORD.

Mind you as a Jew and someone educated in history I believe in Jesus as one of the greatest rabbis who ever lived. But the messiah and divine son of god bits? No fricking way.

Did you, like, completely miss the point of what I said?
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-05 19:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

How they do it in England:

3 stabbed at London tube station in terror attack, police say
CNN

Quote:
A man stabbed three people at an east London tube station Saturday before police subdued him with a stun gun and made an arrest, London's Metropolitan Police said.

Police said they were treating the stabbing at Leytonstone station as a terrorist incident.

One man sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries, police said. Two others suffered minor injuries.

Please note, no one was killed, no guns were used.

England has FIERCE gun control laws.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-05 19:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

This statement actually has Biblical basis. The Jews condemned Jesus for religious crimes, but they wouldn't be able to get the Romans to execute him for blasphemy because the Romans didn't give a crap. The Jews made it political by changing the accusation to treason, on the basis of Jesus being seen as the "King of the Jews" and therefore challenging the authority of the Romans.

Wait, there's no evidence outside the Christian story that the dude even existed and you're describing the intricacies of judicial tampering...
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-05 19:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you, like, completely miss the point of what I said?
Yup. /grin
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-05 19:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
This statement actually has Biblical basis. The Jews condemned Jesus for religious crimes, but they wouldn't be able to get the Romans to execute him for blasphemy because the Romans didn't give a crap. The Jews made it political by changing the accusation to treason, on the basis of Jesus being seen as the "King of the Jews" and therefore challenging the authority of the Romans.

Wait, there's no evidence outside the Christian story that the dude even existed and you're describing the intricacies of judicial tampering...

Biblical basis. BIBLICAL. As in, I got this from the Bible. I know most people don't have a clue what's actually in there, but sheesh.

Edit:
Garuda.Chanti said: »

I suppose I should comment on this, since you have a point. The biblical account notes that Pilate really didn't seem to care about what the Jews were claiming. He wanted to let Jesus go.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-05 19:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Biblical basis. BIBLICAL. As in, I got this from the Bible. I know most people don't have a clue what's actually in there, but sheesh.

I assumed you were talking about my statement. Not really sure why it being in the bible matters, but at least that makes sense.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-05 19:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I assumed you were talking about my statement. Not really sure why it being in the bible matters, but at least that makes sense.

Ah, okay. For clarification, I was actually just backing you up here. Since your argument was mostly against Charlo, I figured that clarifying that the Bible agrees with you would pad your argument.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-05 20:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, okay. For clarification, I was actually just backing you up here. Since your argument was mostly against Charlo, I figured that clarifying that the Bible agrees with you would pad your argument.

With Charlo, maybe. Thanks, I guess.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-12-05 22:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Rare Sunday address.

Quote:
President Barack Obama will make a rare primetime address to the nation Sunday laying out how he will keep Americans safe and defeat the Islamic State group, days after 14 people were shot dead in California.

On Saturday, Obama declared that the United States "will not be terrorized," as the IS extremist group praised the couple behind Wednesday's mass shooting in San Bernardino as "soldiers" of its self-proclaimed caliphate.

"We are Americans. We will uphold our values -- a free and open society," Obama said in his weekly radio address.

On Sunday at 8:00 pm (0100 GMT Monday) from the Oval Office, he will again look to reassure the American people in the wake of the attack, which the FBI is investigating as a possible act of terrorism.

The massacre, if proven to be terror-related, would be the deadliest such assault on American soil since the September 11, 2001 attacks.

The last time Obama made an address to the nation from the Oval Office was in August 2010 to mark the end of US combat operations in Iraq.

Obama will give the latest in the investigation into the California shootings and "the president will also discuss the broader threat of terrorism, including the nature of the threat, how it has evolved, and how we will defeat it," a White House statement said.

"He will reiterate his firm conviction that ISIL (IS) will be destroyed and that the United States must draw upon our values -– our unwavering commitment to justice, equality and freedom -– to prevail over terrorist groups that use violence to advance a destructive ideology."
Obama to make primetime address after California attack
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-05 22:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Obama declared that the United States "will not be terrorized,"
Easier said than done.
All I hear from politicians are statements like this that cannot actually be fulfilled.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-12-06 00:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bukhari Volume 1, Book 2, Number 24:

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said: "I have been ordered (by Allah) to fight against the people until they testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah's Apostle, and offer the prayers perfectly and give the obligatory charity, so if they perform a that, then they save their lives an property from me except for Islamic laws and then their reckoning (accounts) will be done by Allah."

Quote:
Sura 9:29-33 “Make war upon such of those to whom the Scriptures have been given as believe not in God, or in the last day, and who forbid not that which God and His Apostle have forbidden, and who profess not the profession of the truth, until they pay tribute out of hand, and they be humbled.”
Have you read any commentary on these texts?

Plenty of other texts, along with examples from the life of the prophet, and an understanding of the historical context & and political situation of the region (those tribal pagans say hello) prevent the crude "let's go kill everyone till they submit" understanding you might presume and try to apply to our times.

Verses like Quran 8:61:
Quote:
And if they incline toward peace, then you [too] incline toward it, and put your trust in Allah. Indeed He is the All-hearing, the All-knowing.

and Quran 60:8-9:
Quote:
Allah does not forbid you in regard to those who did not make war against you on account of religion and did not expel you from your homes, that you deal with them with kindness and justice. Indeed Allah loves the just.

Allah forbids you only in regard to those who made war against you on account of religion and expelled you from your homes and supported [others] in your expulsion, that you make friends with them, and whoever makes friends with them —it is they who are the wrongdoers.

The prophet is simply saying, after having been persecuted for years, and while having created many enemies, he'd fight to spread the message.

If you thought you could somehow preach Islam in Persia by releasing doves carrying olive branches, then welcome to reality.
By charlo999 2015-12-06 05:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
To abrogate means to abolish, do away with, or annul, especially by authority.

This is a key term in studying the Quran. There are some peaceful, tolerant verses in the Quran. But the violent, intolerant ones have abrogated them. The Quran itself explains what to do with conflicting verses. If two passages conflict, it says, the one written later is better than the one written earlier. The earlier passage has been abrogated by the later one.

The bad news for non-Muslims is that almost all the peaceful passages were written earlier, and the intolerant, hateful, and violent ones were written later (read more about this).

The two key abrogation passages in the Quran are these:

2:106 "Whatever of Our revelations We repeal or cause to be forgotten, We will replace them with something superior or comparable. Do you not know that Allah has power over all things? Do you not know that Allah reigns sovereign over the heavens and earth and besides Him you have no protector or helper? Would you question your messenger as Moses was questioned in his time? Those who exchange their faith for disbelief have gone astray from the right path."

16:101 "When We exchange one verse for another, and Allah knows best what He reveals, they say, 'You are making this up.' Most of them do not understand."

Bill Warner writes, "There are as many as 225 verses of the Koran that are altered by later verses. This is called abrogation."
Unfortunately the Quran isn't a book that has old historic laws that have been replaced by a new Jesus like the bibles. Or historic violence given to the Israelites as judgements to the evil and wicked. The quran is a book for all time until the last day to which the later suras have priority. To spread Islam by force depending on islams dominance in that area. These suras where written when Islam was dominant and Islam was spread by the sword. Not when Muhammad was being deceptive and crying out for peace when he was in the minority.

On this basis Muslims are required to wage jihad.

Quote:
Is prescribed upon you [the] fighting while it (is) hateful to you. But perhaps [that] you dislike a thing and it (is) good for you; and perhaps [that] you love a thing and it (is) bad for you. And Allah knows while you (do) not know.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-12-06 05:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh this again.

A religious man named Jesus most certainly existed. Plenty of documentation of this within letters written by his followers to other followers. The gospels that make up the new testament are these letters canonized. Each batch has a either a different author or different set of recipients.

Now you can certainly argue his divinity and conception as that's almost guaranteed to be a reinterpretation by the Niciens. You can't argue against his historical existence, not without doing the same mental gymnastics as the Holocaust deniers or creationists.

The Bible is an ancient historical document. The first part is a collection of histories and traditions handed down orally until they were written down. The second part is a collection of letters or diaries written by the followers of Jesus after his death. Either directly by one of the apostles or one of their followers. Like all ancient historical documents it is difficult to interpret as you need to understand the culture and language of the era it was written in. There have been many "edits" made in translation and everything should be taken as an approximation of what happened vs an exact history.
By charlo999 2015-12-06 05:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny thing is he agrees Jesus exsisted and was a great rabbi. He thinks the Romans had him for sedition. Which we have shown that yes he is right in a sense it was a fake charge. Which is explained in the evidences we have. His teaching certainly wasn't political. Jesus taught to obey the governments, his teaching was spiritual and moral.
Now his following was big and governments of Jews and in turn Romans TRied to MAKE it political I agree.

Quote:
Mark 12:13-17New English Translation (NET Bible)

Paying Taxes to Caesar
13 Then they sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians to trap him with his own words. 14 When they came they said to him, “Teacher, we know that you are truthful and do not court anyone’s favor, because you show no partiality but teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not? Should we pay or shouldn’t we?” 15 But he saw through their hypocrisy and said to them, “Why are you testing me? Bring me a denarius and let me look at it.” 16 So they brought one, and he said to them, “Whose image is this, and whose inscription?” They replied, “Caesar’s.” 17 Then Jesus said to them, “Give to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” And they were utterly amazed at him.

Paul goes into more detail in what Jesus said. Paul also was a roman persecutor and killer of Christians before the resurrected Jesus appeared to him and converted him.

Quote:
Romans 13:1-7New English Translation (NET Bible)

Submission to Civil Government
13 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 2 So the person who resists such authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment 3 (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation, 4 for it is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be in fear, for it does not bear the sword in vain. It is God’s servant to administer retribution on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath of the authorities but also because of your conscience. 6 For this reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants devoted to governing. 7 Pay everyone what is owed: taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.

Again he provides no evidence for his claim only a bias opinion which goes against ANY evidence biblical AND NON BIBLICAL.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-12-06 06:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah my favorite book, Romans by Paul. I liked his interpretation of Jesus teachings as a way of existing without killing each other. Dude was writing to the Roman followers of Christ who had to contend with being Christian and living in a secular society that didn't exactly like them.

I just like to point out that the records the Nicians used to canonize the bible are still historical records. Some of those scrolls and documents still exist today. Not all of the letters and documents made it into the canonical bible and there is a wealth of material that all clearly states Jesus existed as a religious figure.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-12-06 06:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Terrorism isn't an ideology, it's a tactic.

When an entity, regardless of size or number, wants to effect change there are a number of methods to use. You could use armed forces, police, military or paramilitary to force the change. You could use existing political systems to create the change. And you could use terror to incite a population into making the change for you.

Terrorism is the tactic of using isolated, unpredictable applications of fear to make a population anxious and afraid. It creates unrest and political division. It's effective because it's cheap and impossible to stop. It's difficulty lies with requiring expendable manpower that is willing to kill themselves in the process. That is why it's associated with religion, as fanatical beliefs are one way to easily generate that manpower.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-06 06:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the point is getting lost in this diatribe about J.

Islam is not political in itself, the division between sects is. Just like they were the divisions within the catholic church.
Unfortunately religion always had a strong grip on power and has been historically used as a mean for control of nations. And while christianity's political power has been fading these last years, islam still has a very strong hold on the middle-east, and that is why it is a political problem too.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-06 07:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Rare Sunday address.

Quote:
President Barack Obama will make a rare primetime address to the nation Sunday laying out how he will keep Americans safe and defeat the Islamic State group, days after 14 people were shot dead in California.

On Saturday, Obama declared that the United States "will not be terrorized," as the IS extremist group praised the couple behind Wednesday's mass shooting in San Bernardino as "soldiers" of its self-proclaimed caliphate.

"We are Americans. We will uphold our values -- a free and open society," Obama said in his weekly radio address.

On Sunday at 8:00 pm (0100 GMT Monday) from the Oval Office, he will again look to reassure the American people in the wake of the attack, which the FBI is investigating as a possible act of terrorism.

The massacre, if proven to be terror-related, would be the deadliest such assault on American soil since the September 11, 2001 attacks.

The last time Obama made an address to the nation from the Oval Office was in August 2010 to mark the end of US combat operations in Iraq.

Obama will give the latest in the investigation into the California shootings and "the president will also discuss the broader threat of terrorism, including the nature of the threat, how it has evolved, and how we will defeat it," a White House statement said.

"He will reiterate his firm conviction that ISIL (IS) will be destroyed and that the United States must draw upon our values -– our unwavering commitment to justice, equality and freedom -– to prevail over terrorist groups that use violence to advance a destructive ideology."
Obama to make primetime address after California attack

Obama is trying to compete with Sunday Night Football does even football ?
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-12-06 08:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

Islam is not political in itself, the division between sects is. Just like they were the divisions within the catholic church.
Unfortunately religion always had a strong grip on power and has been historically used as a mean for control of nations. And while christianity's political power has been fading these last years, islam still has a very strong hold on the middle-east, and that is why it is a political problem too.

A few pages ago I mentioned that Islam hasn't yet gone through the reformation that Christianity did, specifically the Roman Catholic Church. It took an opportunistic English king, backed by an angry resentful population to finally break the back of the catholic church, and it was still a very long time until their power was completely broken. The same thing needs to happen in Islam, it will come and when it does it's going to be extremely bloody.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-06 08:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Last I heard it was 80k.

Oh right, I forgot it was the JV team. Is that the number we think are really committed to the cause, because it sure as hell isn't the population that they control under their caliphate.

Regardless it's been pointed out again and again here that when pew did polling and research on the matter it found millions of Muslims around the world were sympathetic to the cause of Islamic terrorism.
Some said they were sympathetic to suicide bombings targeting civilian centers.

Quote:
Few Muslims in most of the countries surveyed say that suicide bombing can often or sometimes be justified against civilian targets in order to defend Islam from its enemies. And support for the tactic has fallen in many countries over the last decade. Still, in some countries a substantial minority say that suicide bombing can be justified.

Weren't you ok with bombing schools a few pages back in certain circumstances?

Like a good liberal youve equated waging war against terrorism to terrorism itself. It's like a knee jerk reflex to automatically ***all over western values by equating them to terrorism.

Please tell me I don't have to explain the difference between bombing a weapons silo disguised as a school, and terrorism.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By charlo999 2015-12-06 09:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

A few pages ago I mentioned that Islam hasn't yet gone through the reformation that Christianity did, specifically the Roman Catholic Church. It took an opportunistic English king, backed by an angry resentful population to finally break the back of the catholic church, and it was still a very long time until their power was completely broken. The same thing needs to happen in Islam, it will come and when it does it's going to be extremely bloody.

Time and time again Islam has sharia law, how is that not political. I've shown that Jesus teachings separate faith and state. They are not political. Anyone who does things political or kills in his name are not following his teachings and thus are fake.
The Roman Catholic Church is a law unto itself. They change the sabbath, are heavy idolaters, change teachings at the request of a leadership not backed by scripture in the slightest. A man made power using Christs name.
The split in England was solely down to Henry wanting the freedom of wives. Do your history. Again a split of a political
organisation using Christs name only.
Islam is politically tied to its teachings so a reformation of a fake named following is never going to happen.
From wiki
Quote:
The majority of Muslims are Sunni, being over 75–90% of all Muslims.

Now the Hadith I quoted was from bukhari who is concidered the most holy Hadith among Sunni Muslims.
Wiki
Quote:
Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī (Arabic: صحيح البخاري‎), is one of the Kutub al-Sittah (six major hadith collections) of Sunni Islam. These prophetic traditions, or hadith, were collected by the Persian Muslim scholar Muhammad al-Bukhari, after being transmitted orally for generations. Sunni Muslims view this as one of the three most trusted collections of hadith along with Sahih Muslim and Muwatta Imam Malik.[1] It is also used as an authentic hadith collection by Zaidi Shia Muslims.[2] In some circles, it is considered the most authentic book after the Quran.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-06 09:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Word is Obamas going to kick of the gun control party tonight with some executive orders.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-06 09:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Word is Obamas going to kick of the gun control party tonight with some executive orders.

Oh, is it inauguration day 2009 already?
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-12-06 10:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Time and time again Islam has sharia law, how is that not political
WTF....

Did you forget to take medication or are you replying to someone else's post....
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-06 10:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Tomorrow, december 6, is the parlamentary elections in Venezuela.
The second battle against the latin america phony democracy or dictatorship crossdressed as populism. The first battle was against Kirchner, and the good won. Lets see what latin america decides for them: the misery of Maduro or to get back to the world track.

I can see a faint light in the end of the bolivarianist road.
At this point it looks like the bolivarianists are going down in flames.

Congrats Venezuela!
First Page 2 3 ... 1128 1129 1130 ... 1375 1376 1377