Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1121 1122 1123 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 09:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Anyway, military life isn't for everyone, and I'm a prime example of why it's not.

Yeah. That's really the gist of it in the end, honestly.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

US investigators believe that one of the shooters pledged to ISIS. I wonder if that's true or just to place the terrorism label on this event.

It's very easy to draw the conclusion that they were likely swayed by ISIS/terrorism, if not directly linked to ISIS. IIRC he went to Saudi Arabia and came back with his "wife"? I use quotation marks because -- at least in some articles I've read -- there seemed to be a question of if they were even married.

I mean, that's got all sorts of implications. I wouldn't jump to these conclusions with just anyone who met their wife in the Middle East and brought them back to the States, but when they've killed more than a dozen people it becomes a consideration.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-04 10:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
US investigators believe that one of the shooters pledged to ISIS. I wonder if that's true or just to place the terrorism label on this event.

It's very easy to draw the conclusion that they were likely swayed by ISIS/terrorism, if not directly linked to ISIS. IIRC he went to Saudi Arabia and came back with his "wife"? I use quotation marks because -- at least in some articles I've read -- there seemed to be a question of if they were even married.

I mean, that's got all sorts of implications. I wouldn't jump to these conclusions with just anyone who met their wife in the Middle East and brought them back to the States, but when they've killed more than a dozen people it becomes a consideration.
Apparently, CNN and Reuters are jumping to these conclusions.

California massacre shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS: CNN

Quote:
One of the two people accused of killing 14 at a holiday party in California posted an online statement pledging allegiance to a leader of the Islamic State militant group, CNN reported on Friday, citing U.S. officials.

Tashfeen Malik, 27, and her husband, Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, were killed in a shootout with police hours after the Wednesday massacre at the Inland Regional Center social services agency in San Bernardino, about 60 miles (100 km) east of Los Angeles. The attack was the deadliest mass shooting the United States has experienced in three years.

Malik, a Pakistani native who had been living in Saudi Arabia when she married Farook, posted an online statement of support for a leader of Islamic State on an account using a name other than her own, CNN said. The attack in San Bernardino appeared to be inspired by - but not directed by - the militant group.

The investigation has been focused on the motivation for the attack with officials including President Barack Obama and San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan saying it may have been motivated by extremist ideology.

The couple left behind a 6-month old daughter. Farook's brother-in-law, Farhan Khan, told NBC News he had begun legal proceedings to adopt the girl and was "very upset and angry" at Farook.

"You left your 6-month-old daughter," Khan said. "In this life some people cannot have kids. God gave you a gift of a daughter. And you left that kid behind ... What did you achieve?"

Twenty-one people were wounded in the attack, the worst gun violence in the nation since the December 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

Farook, a U.S. citizen born in Illinois, was the son of Pakistani immigrants, said Hussam Ayloush, head of the Los Angeles area chapter of the Muslim advocacy group Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Christian Nwadike, who worked with Farook for five years, told CBS that his co-worker had been different since he returned from Saudi Arabia.

"I think he married a terrorist," Nwadike said.

Investigators are reviewing the couples' computers and cellphones to see if they had browsed jihadist websites or had contact with militant groups, according to officials in Washington familiar with the investigation.

Police said the couple had two assault-style rifles, two semi-automatic handguns and 1,600 rounds of ammunition in their vehicle, with 12 pipe bombs found in their home.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, like I said. I don't have all the facts, I'm just saying it's becoming readily apparently they've got some link to Islamic terrorism, be it directly or simple influence/sway of methodology/ideology.
By fonewear 2015-12-04 10:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

A Muslim terrorist never !
By fonewear 2015-12-04 10:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry about it Obama said ISIS is the JV team.

We will have them defeated by New Years Eve.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
A Muslim terrorist never made love to a male Chinese prostitute under a patriotically waving America flag under the Northern Lights in Alaska.!

Oh. It wasn't a mad lib?
By fonewear 2015-12-04 10:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Mad lib sir this is the internet everything is mad libs !
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Mad lib sir this is the internet everything is mad libs !
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-04 10:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry about it Obama said ISIS is the JV team.

We will have them defeated by New Years Eve.
Just like he really meant what he said when he drew those red lines in the sand.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Who draws lines in sand, anyhow?

I mean, the wind blows and that ***is gone anyhow so unless you remember exactly where you drew it, and draw it again, and again, and again...

Stupid idiom in the first place.
By fonewear 2015-12-04 10:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Mayor of LA basically saying we need to ban guns lolz.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-12-04 10:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I get what you're saying and I sort of agree. I just think the degree to which it happens is more based on the person and not the system. If someone was already of a mind to be swayed by that kind of regimen, they would have got it elsewhere (and probably did previously). Sports teams, unions, coworkers, social clubs, etc.

The majority of people tend to band together with those around them. In this case the military just uses that to their -- and, honestly, our -- advantage.

The degree to which it occurs is up to the individual though. Which is why you see some people who are diehard and steadfast in the rhetoric, and others who go along with it and learn their role without letting it become them.

Occupied earlier, but this was exactly what was on my mind. Nobody truly functions as an island and we're all products of an amalgamation of different peer groups that people experience throughout our lifetimes.

Leviathan.Vienne said: »
They've been saying the EU has been falling apart since the day it was founded, I dont really worry about it. Sure we will not become the United States of Europe, but the fundamentals of the EU are so old i dont see it likely that they would reverse the process. The Euro is a different story.

I hate to be a pessimist, but I think the Euro will fold, too. When it was introduced and during its application in '99/'00 my grandfather was extremely vocal about his apprehensions of Spain being drawn into the fold. He still has DM stashed in his house. My mother and her sisters are bracing themselves for the moment they will be eating crow after scoffing at his "paranoia" in the early 2000's.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:32:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Mayor of LA basically saying we need to ban guns lolz.

California's prisons are already overflowing.

What are you going to do with everyone you arrest with a gun once you ban them? Ground them?
By fonewear 2015-12-04 10:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The only way to stop a bad gun with a gun is to kill them before they kill you !
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
I get what you're saying and I sort of agree. I just think the degree to which it happens is more based on the person and not the system. If someone was already of a mind to be swayed by that kind of regimen, they would have got it elsewhere (and probably did previously). Sports teams, unions, coworkers, social clubs, etc.

The majority of people tend to band together with those around them. In this case the military just uses that to their -- and, honestly, our -- advantage.

The degree to which it occurs is up to the individual though. Which is why you see some people who are diehard and steadfast in the rhetoric, and others who go along with it and learn their role without letting it become them.

Occupied earlier, but this was exactly what was on my mind. Nobody truly functions as an island and we're all products of an amalgamation of different peer groups that people experience throughout our lifetimes.

Leviathan.Vienne said: »
They've been saying the EU has been falling apart since the day it was founded, I dont really worry about it. Sure we will not become the United States of Europe, but the fundamentals of the EU are so old i dont see it likely that they would reverse the process. The Euro is a different story.

I hate to be a pessimist, but I think the Euro will fold, too. When it was introduced and during its application in '99/'00 my grandfather was extremely vocal about his apprehensions of Spain being drawn into the fold. He still has DM stashed in his house. My mother and her sisters are bracing themselves for the moment they will be eating crow after scoffing at his "paranoia" in the early 2000's.

I felt from the beginning that without England giving up the GBP it was a lost cause.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The only way to stop a bad gun with a gun is to kill them before they kill you !

"A Bad gun with a gun."

Visions of Megatron dance through my head
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-04 10:40:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Judging by the arsenal they had collected I would guess that they had prepared for an act of terrorism but for some reason decided to make it personal instead.

Seeing as the attack was targeted to his workplace I don't think it can be called terrorism. Of course this won't stop pundits and politicians from labeling it just that.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-04 10:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Judging by the arsenal they had collected I would guess that they had prepared for an act of terrorism but for some reason decided to make it personal instead.

Seeing as the attack was targeted to his workplace I don't think it can be called terrorism. Of course this won't stop pundits and politicians from labeling it just that.

What would require it to be terrorism then ? A notarized letter confirming it ?
By fonewear 2015-12-04 10:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The narrative was shock to let's ban guns. In that order the terrorism aspect doesn't fit the anti gun people's motivations.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

It feels a bit to me like they had planned a very specific thing, but changed their mind to...*walks back original idiom*...commit an act of personal and terroristic violence at once.
By fonewear 2015-12-04 10:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

There is an easy way for future terrorists to clear up the confusion. Scream Allahu Akbar before killing infidels.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 10:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

There is an easy way for future terrorists to clear up the confusion. Scream Allahu Akbar before killing infidels.

Or "no more dead babies." (edit: or "baby parts," or whatever else the sick *** said.)

Or "for the master race."

Or any one of thousands of others.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-12-04 11:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Or "no more dead babies." (edit: or "baby parts," or whatever else the sick *** said.)

Or "for the master race."

Or any one of thousands of others.

This constant deflection away from ISIS attacks is going to get old really quick and comparing them to any random psycho with a gun is foolhardy. The attacks are going to keep coming and probably for decades to come.

You are in a war, like it or not. The military cannot win this one for us. Radical Islam is a virus. The last thing the government should be doing is trying to disarm good civilians.

You can maybe take measures to get the guns out of the hands of lunatics like the Planned Parenthood shooter. You are not going to be able to disarm law abiding Americans that become radicalized soldiers for ISIS who otherwise appear perfectly rational and normal in their everyday lives. Nothing ever proposed as a law would have kept guns away from these two terrorists.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 11:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not trying to deflect away from ISIS. I just can't stand the assertion that Muslim radicals are the only terrorists out there and everyone else is just 'one isolated lunatic.'

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Radical Islam is a virus.

Radical anything is a virus.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-04 11:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wait till the Atheist terrorist start killing people in the name of Science !
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 11:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wait till the Atheist terrorist start killing people in the name of Science !

I'm way too lazy for that.
By fonewear 2015-12-04 11:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Newsflash people were killing each other long before religion ever was a thing. It is survival of the fittest. Part of human nature is violence.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-04 11:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Newsflash people were killing each other long before religion ever was a thing. It is survival of the fittest. Part of human nature is violence.

"Don't fight for a cause; fight each other because you should?"

That's an...interesting...message...
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-04 11:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say kill each other but if it's me or you you already know the answer pilgrim !

Everyone is quick to say Muslim this or Muslim that this guy would have killed people with or without religion.
First Page 2 3 ... 1121 1122 1123 ... 1375 1376 1377