Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 107 108 109 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-07 14:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm totally calling him [Romney] Mittens from now on btw. I can't believe I've never thought/heard of that until Jetackuu just said it. It's so wholesome and simultaneously patronizing. I love it.

Mittens for the page:
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-07 14:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Where you under a rock in 2012? (I guess so huh, wth the world ending and all?)
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-07 14:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

My world ended the day I realized the adults around me were idiots.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-07 14:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
I'm totally calling him [Romney] Mittens from now on btw. I can't believe I've never thought/heard of that until Jetackuu just said it.
I called him Mittens first in the last page!
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2014-09-07 15:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-07 16:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
My wife is a foreign citizen and I can promise you that just being foreign doesn't mean crap. American women are generally more self-centered and uncompromising, but that's a generational thing. Almost all women who grew up in the 80's or 90's are going to have the same attitude barring any significant cultural or political circumstances. My wife grew up in post-communist Russia with all the same techno-feminist culture we have domestically. Most American men simply aren't willing/able to actually get respect from modern women for whatever reason.
I kinda glossed over this post yesterday, what was your point exactly?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-07 16:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Where you under a rock in 2012? (I guess so huh, wth the world ending and all?)

If that Rock's name is Skyrim, yes.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-07 16:15:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
My wife is a foreign citizen and I can promise you that just being foreign doesn't mean crap. American women are generally more self-centered and uncompromising, but that's a generational thing. Almost all women who grew up in the 80's or 90's are going to have the same attitude barring any significant cultural or political circumstances. My wife grew up in post-communist Russia with all the same techno-feminist culture we have domestically. Most American men simply aren't willing/able to actually get respect from modern women for whatever reason.

It was in response to the post about finding a foreign woman. I pose that the attitude that men don't like in American women is more generational than cultural.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-07 16:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as I love[think he's an idiot) Mittens! His statement:

Quote:
Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are two peas in the same pod

is something Clinton will have to deal with in 2016. Democrats have typically used war spending as ammunition against Republicans, Clinton won't have that luxury. Depending how this whole Obama/ISIS thing goes down over the next year is going to shape the public's view of the Democrat party. She's either going to have to defend the actions of the Obama administration or really distance herself(which seems to be the trend) and throw Obama under the bus.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-07 18:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Under the bus with thee, Obama.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-07 18:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

musn't let liberalism take the blame, EVER!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-07 18:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It was in response to the post about finding a foreign woman. I pose that the attitude that men don't like in American women is more generational than cultural.
You might be onto something with that.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-07 19:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like the Republicans are poised to take the senate in November.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dre/politics/election-lab-2014
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-07 19:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like an opinion.

Edit- my bad, that actually looks like a fantasy.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-07 20:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's actually every polls' "opinion."

Senate Polls Show Edge For GOP

http://www.electionprojection.com/2014-elections/2014-senate-elections.php

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/senate/2014_elections_senate_map.html

Quote:
Republicans have a 65.1% chance of winning a majority.

Democrats have a 34.9% chance of keeping the majority.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/senate-forecast/
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-07 20:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
President Barack Obama will begin laying out a strategy this week to defeat Islamic State militants in the Middle East, meeting with congressional leaders Tuesday and giving a speech Wednesday, the eve of the 13th anniversary of the deadliest terrorist attack on U.S. soil.

Obama disclosed his plans during an interview broadcast Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

"I just want the American people to understand the nature of the threat and how we're going to deal with it and to have confidence that we'll be able to deal with it," he said in the interview conducted Saturday at the White House shortly after his return from a NATO summit in Wales where the Islamic State threat was a key topic of discussion.
Obama to speak on Islamic State strategy on eve of 9/11 anniversary
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-07 20:40:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Looks like an opinion.

Edit- my bad, that actually looks like a fantasy.

I see someone is suffering from a bad case of the statistics. Take two doses of denial and call me in the morning.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-07 20:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

No thanks, I'll let you guys try to pass off predictions as anything other than opinion/fantasy.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-07 20:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
I'm totally calling him [Romney] Mittens from now on btw. I can't believe I've never thought/heard of that until Jetackuu just said it.

Good, I'd rather give you credit anyway.

It's just a pity when people back read, they start from the bottom of a page, It's a lot like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure except with two-thirds the intelligence of Keanu Reeves.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-08 08:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama's America!

Quote:
The record numbers of Americans who have renounced their U.S. citizenship since January 2009 did so at the bargain-basement cost of $450, a subsidized fee that the State Department plans to raise sharply this week as more and more people sever their ties with the United States.

Officials say the new pricetag of $2,350 will “capture the real, unsubsidized cost of providing this service” at a time when escalating demand has put new strain on consular resources.

The government does not make public any reasons citizens may have given for renouncing U.S. citizenship, making it impossible to say for certain what has driven the sharp rise in demand. But the most likely cause appears to be the Obama-era crackdown on U.S. citizens hiding wealth overseas.

From 2001 to 2008, 3,937 people who had lived on U.S. soil for at least eight years either renounced their citizenship or gave up lawful permanent resident status, according to Andrew Mitchel, an international tax attorney in Centerbrook, Connecticut, who tracks the figures closely.

From January 2009 to the quarter ending June 30, 2014, the number rose to 9,566, according to a Yahoo News analysis of the figures published on a quarterly basis by the Internal Revenue Service.

The rise has coincided with a campaign that has scooped up about $6 billion in taxes, interest and penalties from more than 40,000 U.S. taxpayers since 2009.

A State Department official who requested anonymity linked the fee hike directly to the escalating numbers of people casting off their citizenship — technically known as “expatriations.” The new fee goes into effect on September 12.

The amount certainly doesn’t seem likely to be a deterrent for some people who might be inclined to give up citizenship or permanent resident status. Highly affluent people shedding their U.S. citizenship to avoid taxes can afford to pay more. And families going home after a long stint working in the United States on a green card may not view the additional cost as much of an obstacle, particularly if they are hoping to stop paying their U.S. taxes.

But Mitchel told Yahoo News by telephone that the State Department's intent in increasing the fee might make some people think twice before taking an irrevocable step.

“They want to impress upon those individuals that there’s no going back,” he said. “They’re making sure that you really, really want to renounce your citizenship.”
Renouncing U.S. citizenship is about to get a lot more expensive
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-08 09:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama's America!

Quote:
The record numbers of Americans who have renounced their U.S. citizenship since January 2009 did so at the bargain-basement cost of $450, a subsidized fee that the State Department plans to raise sharply this week as more and more people sever their ties with the United States.

Officials say the new pricetag of $2,350 will “capture the real, unsubsidized cost of providing this service” at a time when escalating demand has put new strain on consular resources.

The government does not make public any reasons citizens may have given for renouncing U.S. citizenship, making it impossible to say for certain what has driven the sharp rise in demand. But the most likely cause appears to be the Obama-era crackdown on U.S. citizens hiding wealth overseas.

From 2001 to 2008, 3,937 people who had lived on U.S. soil for at least eight years either renounced their citizenship or gave up lawful permanent resident status, according to Andrew Mitchel, an international tax attorney in Centerbrook, Connecticut, who tracks the figures closely.

From January 2009 to the quarter ending June 30, 2014, the number rose to 9,566, according to a Yahoo News analysis of the figures published on a quarterly basis by the Internal Revenue Service.

The rise has coincided with a campaign that has scooped up about $6 billion in taxes, interest and penalties from more than 40,000 U.S. taxpayers since 2009.

A State Department official who requested anonymity linked the fee hike directly to the escalating numbers of people casting off their citizenship — technically known as “expatriations.” The new fee goes into effect on September 12.

The amount certainly doesn’t seem likely to be a deterrent for some people who might be inclined to give up citizenship or permanent resident status. Highly affluent people shedding their U.S. citizenship to avoid taxes can afford to pay more. And families going home after a long stint working in the United States on a green card may not view the additional cost as much of an obstacle, particularly if they are hoping to stop paying their U.S. taxes.

But Mitchel told Yahoo News by telephone that the State Department's intent in increasing the fee might make some people think twice before taking an irrevocable step.

“They want to impress upon those individuals that there’s no going back,” he said. “They’re making sure that you really, really want to renounce your citizenship.”
Technically, you are also supposed to pay a 5% "expatriation tax" on top of that fee. The tax is figured by the total net worth of yourself and your family.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-08 09:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to call him Mittens back during the last presidential primary season and campaign.

Now I call him past pull date.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-08 09:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I used to call him Mittens back during the last presidential primary season and campaign.

I would call Obama an idiot, but that would make me racist to some people.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-08 10:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »

I would call Obama an idiot, but that would make me racist to some people.
I call him mad, like the magazine.

[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-08 15:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Arnold Schwarzenegger makes rare return to California state capital

Quote:
The Governator is back.
Arnold Schwarzenegger is returning to the state capital on Monday for two high-profile public events to discuss California’s fight against climate change and unveil his official portrait at the Capitol. Both events are expected to highlight more positive aspects of his two terms as California governor.
Schwarzenegger, who has returned to acting since leaving the governor’s office in 2011, has made few political appearances with the exception of advocating for renewable energy.
While in office, the former governor frequently promoted California’s landmark 2006 global-warming law, called AB32, which paved the way for the state’s cap-and-trade system for controlling greenhouse-gas emissions by the worst polluters.
The Republican will share the stage with the current governor, Democrat Jerry Brown, at a symposium highlighting California’s position at the forefront in developing policies to address climate change. Organizers are using the state’s public policies to counter naysayers ahead of United Nations climate-change conferences in Lima, Peru and Paris.
Monday’s gathering at a 250-seat auditorium at the California Environmental Protection Agency’s headquarters will feature research experts, businesses executives from Apple Inc. and UPS Inc., as well as actor Ed Begley Jr. The panels will highlight the costs of failing to move away from fossil fuels, citing noticeable changes such as the expansion of California’s wildfire season.
“Arnold always likes to say, ‘When the people elected me, they don’t see it as Republican air and Democrat air. They just want clean air,’ “ said Bonnie Reiss, a former administration adviser who now directs the Schwarzenegger Institute at the University of Southern California, which is co-hosting the event.
Schwarzenegger will then head to the Capitol rotunda for a ceremony to unveil his governor’s portrait. The painting, by an artist who has yet to be named, eventually will be hung on the third floor of the building next to his recalled predecessor, Gray Davis.
Schwarzenegger had promised to bring fiscal accountability, but he left office with a mixed record, as the state was facing a huge budget deficit. Brown has been credited with passing a tax increase, cutting additional services and bringing the budget back in balance.
In one of his final acts in office, Schwarzenegger commuted the involuntary-manslaughter sentence of the son of a former political ally.
Schwarzenegger said at the time that he cut Esteban Nunez’s sentence from 16 years to seven because he thought the sentence was excessive, a decision that caught San Diego prosecutors and the victim’s family by surprise. But he also acknowledged he was helping a friend, former state Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez.
Months after he left office, embarrassing revelations broke about an affair he had with his maid that resulted in a son born out of wedlock, destroying his marriage to Maria Shriver.
Since then, Schwarzenegger has largely committed to a Hollywood comeback. He appeared in this summer’s “The Expendables 3,” and he returned to his cyborg assassin character in a new “Terminator” film due out next year.
While promoting his action movie “Sabotage” earlier this year, Schwarzenegger told The Associated Press that he has no plans to run for elected office again.
“No. I have no interest in running for anything. I’ve done that,” he said. “I never wanted to be a career politician.”
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-08 15:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama's America!

Quote:

Technically, you are also supposed to pay a 5% "expatriation tax" on top of that fee. The tax is figured by the total net worth of yourself and your family.
That's not necessarily true.

Expatriation on or after June 16, 2008
If you expatriated after June 16, 2008, the new IRC 877A expatriation rules apply to you if any of the following statements apply.
Your average annual net income tax for the 5 years ending before the date of expatriation or termination of residency is more than a specified amount that is adjusted for inflation ($147,000 for 2011, $151,000 for 2012, $155,000 for 2013 and $157,000 for 2014).
Your net worth is $2 million or more on the date of your expatriation or termination of residency.
You fail to certify on Form 8854 that you have complied with all U.S. federal tax obligations for the 5 years preceding the date of your expatriation or termination of residency.
If any of these rules apply, you are a “covered expatriate.”
Edit: Also, have to laugh at the concept of going from 450 to 2350 will in any way, shape, or form deter people who wish to revoke their citizenship for tax purposes. I'd also be interested to see exactly how that un-subsidized cost breaks out.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-08 16:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Obama's America!

Quote:

That's not necessarily true.

Expatriation on or after June 16, 2008
If you expatriated after June 16, 2008, the new IRC 877A expatriation rules apply to you if any of the following statements apply.
Your average annual net income tax for the 5 years ending before the date of expatriation or termination of residency is more than a specified amount that is adjusted for inflation ($147,000 for 2011, $151,000 for 2012, $155,000 for 2013 and $157,000 for 2014).
Your net worth is $2 million or more on the date of your expatriation or termination of residency.
You fail to certify on Form 8854 that you have complied with all U.S. federal tax obligations for the 5 years preceding the date of your expatriation or termination of residency.
If any of these rules apply, you are a “covered expatriate.”
Edit: Also, have to laugh at the concept of going from 450 to 2350 will in any way, shape, or form deter people who wish to revoke their citizenship for tax purposes. I'd also be interested to see exactly how that un-subsidized cost breaks out.
Um....

That's tax on deferred gains (aka Capital Gains of property not sold yet). IRS is wanting you to pay for the tax on the gains of property you haven't sold yet.

For example: You own a piece of land on the day that you leave the country. The FMV of the land is $1 million while the basis is $800k. That's a $200k taxable gain on the land. @20% capital gain tax rate that's $40k of tax that you technically still owe the government (not collectible yet since you did not sell the land). The government wants your $40k now, but will defer it if you promise to give them the amount owed in tax when you sell the property.

That's a different tax itself.

The tax I'm talking about different, but I'm having a little trouble finding it. I will get back to you when I do find it (I have not had to deal with this tax yet, as all of my clients have not left the country for good...yet)
By volkom 2014-09-08 16:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A 16-year-old high school girl in Rock Hill, S.C. told police that another high school girl taunted her on a school bus and then beat her up after she got off the bus. The assailant allegedly was angry at the victim because she was behaving “too much like a white person.”

source
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-08 16:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Or just make sure you go to a country with no extradition treaty with the U.S.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-08 16:15:56
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Quote:
A 16-year-old high school girl in Rock Hill, S.C. told police that another high school girl taunted her on a school bus and then beat her up after she got off the bus. The assailant allegedly was angry at the victim because she was behaving “too much like a white person.”

source
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/44380/the-children-are-our-future#2703346
First Page 2 3 ... 107 108 109 ... 1375 1376 1377