2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Spharai still worth it
Spharai still worth it
By voiceless 2014-05-25 18:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
With the changes Square has coming for mnk, SPECIFICALLY.... one might hold off on any thoughts about obtaining spharai.

BG posted Square translation;
Quote:
I won't say we'll weaken Monks but we are thinking of ways that other classes will be able to defeat Monks. As presented in the recent Freshly Picked Vana'Diel, the June update will bring with it adjustments to weapon skills. At the same time, we will also be adjusting the formula for how TP is gained, and try to reduce the disadvantages that come with certain delay values. We hope through these adjustments, the gap between attacker classes will shrink, so please check it out when the next update comes.

In addition to this, we are thinking of making monsters that are strong to blunt and breath (as in, Formless strikes) damage, or enemies that are vulnerable to magic damage, etc. Through this you may find certain attacking jobs more suited to certain content.

We do think there are several pro/cons to this idea though, and we don't have plans to make it so that a single job is always optimal for something, so we would like if players would give us feedback on this solution.

T.T Breath damage so atonement will suck even with WS Adjustment GG I had my hopes up (F***) monks
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2014-05-25 18:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Just champ it up and punch bare-handed
[+]
By Toxiccreep 2014-06-08 14:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I am getting ready to turn my 10,000 Byne in, and I'm curious because there have been a few people who told me Tinhaspa will out parse Spharai, Am I going to need to make both to be an ideal monk, or will Spharai consistently beat out the Tinhaspa?

I've seen it referenced that the order of 'best' monk weapons is something like this: (I'm not sure, this is coming from memory)

Glanzfaust > Verethragna > Spharai > Tinhaspa A > Tinhaspa B > Oats > delve > sparks

if you get back to me on it, much appreciated :P
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-06-08 14:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Toxiccreep said: »
I am getting ready to turn my 10,000 Byne in, and I'm curious because there have been a few people who told me Tinhaspa will out parse Spharai, Am I going to need to make both to be an ideal monk, or will Spharai consistently beat out the Tinhaspa? I've seen it referenced that the order of 'best' monk weapons is something like this: (I'm not sure, this is coming from memory) Glanzfaust > Verethragna > Spharai > Tinhaspa A > Tinhaspa B > Oats > delve > sparks if you get back to me on it, much appreciated :P
I've seen OAT mnks beat out relic mnks doen't mean their better. Get your relics man.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-06-08 14:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I've outparsed an Oat mnk as a Gimp WHM DD, it means nothing, just because they has the weapon, it don't mean they can use it effectively.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-06-08 15:12:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, reading about spharai, it has a very lackluster aftermath (+subtle blow), a boost in a ws normally mnks dont use, so just have a bit of counter and occasionally 3x dmg that dont proc in multihits, that is normally the gear people should use in old delve (thaumas, red earring, eponas, windbuffet, atheling, felistris, etc) to compensate the lesser dps compared with an oatixur.
In dificult events like delve2 spharai can have the uperhand over an oat due to having +242 h2h skill, instead 228 of an oat, so spharai will win with more acc.
So, the diference is pretty small against others same ilv weapon, but carrer mnks would prefer using a more personalizated weapon than a weapon everyone has. But if youre a player who just jumped to bandwagon, really shouldnt invest so much in a relic like spharai. Its prefered using the cash in a job you really like, even though the weapon is so so, or if you are more practical, you will be way happier using the cash for a utility relic, like anni, ghorn, aegis.
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2014-06-09 01:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Counter. nuff said
 Carbuncle.Dagget
Server: Carbuncle
user: simbaa
By Carbuncle.Dagget 2014-06-09 04:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I am getting ready to turn my 10,000 Byne in, and I'm curious because there have been a few people who told me Tinhaspa will out parse Spharai, Am I going to need to make both to be an ideal monk, or will Spharai consistently beat out the Tinhaspa?

I've seen it referenced that the order of 'best' monk weapons is something like this: (I'm not sure, this is coming from memory)

Glanzfaust > Verethragna > Spharai > Tinhaspa A > Tinhaspa B > Oats > delve > sparks

basically this with Path B Tinhaspa beating Path A if you benefit from the ACC

95% of content that is correct Some things (Skirmish) Spharai/Vere are going to be stronger than Glanz
 Asura.Hashtag
Server: Asura
user: Strafeous
By Asura.Hashtag 2014-06-09 05:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Diablokiller built Spharai because we were spamming tier 1 delves for money, once we were done with that, we moved into yorcia weald/kamhir and he hasn't used his spharai since.

that was like 2 weeks ago
By Aikawa 2014-06-09 07:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

And probably haven't use a monk at all in D2.0 -_-

On topic, Spharai will give you access to a new ws, useless or not, will be "revamped/updated" with all the others ws in next(or some update)

If you do solo content as salvage, it's nice to have, killing the khimera with it only using 1 TP move coz counterstance and starting with 300 tp final heaven, just pray that tp isn't fulmination or that stun doesn't miss....

And unless you can get the mythic or,empy 119, A relic still a relic, not everyone can have/farm 130sh million for one.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-06-09 09:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The reason why I expressed a somewhat negative opinion on Spharai is because it has one of the smallest boosts over its plasm-buyable alternative. The OP, looking at their gear, also appeared to have potentially better armor-slot upgrades to make. That said, they are undeniably a good weapon. I also said that before the possible re-vamp was announced, which may increase Final Heaven's relevancy.

On the flip side, the dev team has also threatened to potentially hurt MNK as a whole. Hopefully this will purely be through the addition of one or two events where blunt damage is less desirable and not a negative adjustment to its mechanics.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-06-10 06:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

How much is mythic/emp compared to relic now days?

May just do relic if the other 2 are much more expensive since I'm pretty close to the point where I can do a relic outright from start to 119 at the moment
 Carbuncle.Dagget
user: simbaa
By Carbuncle.Dagget 2014-06-10 06:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
How much is mythic/emp compared to relic now days?

May just do relic if the other 2 are much more expensive since I'm pretty close to the point where I can do a relic outright from start to 119 at the moment
2-3times as expensive on my server
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-06-10 06:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally around;
160m 0-119 Relic
200m 0-119 Emp
300m 0-119 Mythic

Varies slightly obviously per server, and what you buy (cost vs actual cost). HMP Vary, WILDLY though, from 100k to 200k...
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-06-10 06:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

On Asura mythic are about 270m; lot of server are cheaper I prolly paid about 230m with 0 farmed alex for 75 mythic.

Pretty sure 119 mythic are cheaper than 119 riftcinder emp.
By Pantafernando 2014-06-10 06:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Also important to consider that hmp has a lot less offer than currency, and just need one single person to completely change the equilibrium of offer and demand, so an empy can potentially cost a lot more than just average price, and finally, there isnt enough hmp in any server to complete that stage overnight, while there are enough currency for relics, and arguably, enough alex for mythic.
 Asura.Aikchan
user: Aikawa
By Asura.Aikchan 2014-06-10 07:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ccl said: »
On Asura mythic are about 270m; lot of server are cheaper I prolly paid about 230m with 0 farmed alex for 75 mythic.

Pretty sure 119 mythic are cheaper than 119 riftcinder emp.
It is cheaper, but not "easier" time wise.

My harp 99 did cost me 230m just in plates the average price I did pay was 200k, even that with patience you could buy then for 130k at that time, and farmed 200sh doing qirin, in a week.

And 45m from cinders. For a total of 275m, I bought the cinders firth then farmed back to 230m, after that took me 3,days to buy all, the plates. And lolgil....

If ppm ask my only source of Gil are 2 salvage run daily, average 18m per week selling them for 9k.
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-06-10 08:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Alex prices have fluctuated between 8-15k a piece on our server over the last eight months. So depending on how quickly you built a mythic on Asura.. it was anywhere from 240m (8k/ea) - 450m (15k/ea).

I spent about 260-270m on mine before adding all of the alex I farmed as well.(easily farmed 10k alex) Assuming that farmed alex was worth 10k/ea my mythic cost 360-370m. Of course, back in November alex was up to 13k/ea and I couldn't help but waste money on it.

So its pretty impressive that you only spent 230m on your mythic CCL (7.666k/ea) which is nearly impossible unless people you know sold you their alex for so cheap.

Making Empy weapons 119 is very expensive right now, but it is still not quite as expensive as a 119 mythic given the average cost of alex vs HMP and Cinders. The gap between the two is just significantly closer.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-06-10 09:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

On Sylph, alex was inflated during March/April due to gilbuyers, but since the Salvage update it has been generally pretty reasonable. The exchange rate with ancient currency has been as good as 1:1, which seems to be due to the looser job requirements and shorter duration of Salvage compared to Dynamis. I probably bought 2/3 of my alex at 7-9k, and farmed the rest. Glanzfaust are definitely a great option; you can farm AR2 on monk very easily, and if you can buy a relic outright, you can probably get close to half of your alex done quickly. The thing with a mythic is not alex but the rest of the requirements. If you have a head start on tokens/ichor/captain rank, you will have an easier time.

Vere are going to be about the same price on our server but hmp/cinder supply is really poor. You'd have to put together shout VW groups and buy from members to finish without many weeks or months of camping bazaars.

Spharai are less than half the cost of the other options and won't require putting together any groups to complete.

Hell, if I only played monk, I'd probably build all three. You could do that in less than six months, especially since you have gil to start with.
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-06-10 10:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I will say this, you can farm enough to build a Mythic in sub 3 months if you are diligent about it.

Even at 300m gil, just doing salvage + dynamis every day on Asura will net you 4m (currency and alex). Even at its lowest it would be 3m a day which would mean you have terrible luck. Once I decided to buckle down and farm each day I was able to clear about 5k alex every 2 weeks, sometimes more. Went from 15,000 alex left to finishing in about a month. Realistically it would have been 1.5months, but I had help at the end.

It burns you out though, as both dynamis and salvage are extremely boring. Thats the tough part, you finally realize how easy it is to farm one and then you want to stab your eyes out doing the same boring content each day. Then you feel terrible when you skip a day :(

If you want to make Glanzfaust on your MNK, do it. There is no reason not to at least start in the current landscape of FFXI. It has never been easier to farm a mythic than it is right now.
[+]
By Aikawa 2014-06-10 18:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Reichleiu said: »
It has never been easier to farm a mythic than it is right now.
30000 alexandrites aren't the problem for building a mythic.... the other req. are the ones...
 Fenrir.Ramzus
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2014-06-10 18:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

What is difficult about the process of building a mythic? It's all just time consuming rather than hard
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-06-10 18:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh some people think its hard because it takes (some) skill/luck and/or hax to solo it, and if it cant be solo'd its hard.

IE; nyzul tokens, incredibly simple and impossible at the same time.

If you can't solo it, and you can't get people to help you, probably shouldn't make a mythic. /deadhorsebeaten
[+]
 Fenrir.Ramzus
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2014-06-10 19:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You can easily solo one with a half decently geared blm, lol
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [75 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Artlantis
user: Nixeh
By Carbuncle.Artlantis 2014-08-25 05:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

i have spharai 119 and i like them, because of the delai & the counter V (+15), when you solo it's a huge deference.
With counterstance & gears with counter (AF+1 119), it's insane... you'll got counter hit 600+ every 1-2 seconds on a Ra kaznar butterflies for exemple and get hit maybe 1 time before you kill it
[+]
By Aikawa 2014-08-25 06:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice Nero, but iirc, with spharai you cap counter rates just with counterstance, now with all the ilvlgear with counter you can get near 70%~ counter w/spharai