Fat-shaming More Harmful Than Racism And Sexism

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Fat-shaming More Harmful Than Racism and Sexism
Fat-shaming More Harmful Than Racism and Sexism
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By angrykitty 2014-05-22 18:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

High school kids are easier to change than a bunch obese mmoplaying, bored adults.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-22 18:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

angrykitty said: »
High school kids are easier to change than a mentally inept troll, who's completely out of intelligent things to say.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-05-22 18:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not my fault you're unattractive. You have more control over that than I do. lol

Cool story bro.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-22 18:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

High school kids are easier to change than a bunch obese mmoplaying, bored adults.

Awww. your insecurity is showing.

Please show us on the doll where the bad man touched you.

Not that I take such abuse lightly. But clearly you have insecurities of your own. So...you know. Whenever you want to talk about it, I'll buy you a drink and listen.

Seriously. I'm not a licensed therapist, but I'm more understanding than I let on by my gruff posts.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-05-22 18:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Stereotype much ?
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-22 18:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez is a tough looking bad-*** on the outside, but soft n gooey on the inside.

Like Frank Moses.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 19:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Stereotype much ?
It's not even true, anyhow. MMO players adapt to new paradigms every time a new patch comes out (they *** and moan, but they adapt). High schoolers can and will cling to the most ridiculous ideas even in the face of opposing evidence.

Fun exercise: pull out your high school yearbook and look through the photos of all the girls (or boys, but this works better with girls). Take note of who are objectively the prettiest and then note who were the most popular. The two lists will have only a limited number of intersections, even though everyone tended to think of the most popular girls as being the prettiest at the time. Context is everything.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-05-22 19:04:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow...

OK ...

Wow...

So many things to say but where to start . . .

You're fat and don't like the stigma, fair enough everyone has the right to live without persecuation (Human Right) but when you directly punish someone because they cost you a direct costs IE: More fuel for airplanes / busses etc or because someone takes up 2 seats, I'm not sure you can really say much against it.

If you take up 2 seats and cost that business an extra patron, why should the company have to foot the bill because of something you can change and you have direct control over?

Now I know Weight brings with it self esteem issues, and I;m not referring to people on the Heavier / less athletic side, I mean the people who are Obese.

If this is Directed at just general people who contribute to society and who are simple labled by society as "fat" but are actually say ~ a healthy weight, then I would hope those people tell those biggots to *** off.

I honestly don't care what weight someone is until it impacts me directly, ie someones race wouldn't impact me directly, but being crushed by the person sat next to me because they weigh 23 stone and the bus braked hard, well you bet your *** I am going to say something.

I know we're a "feelings orientated" Society these days, but I feel things have gotten out of hands IE nanny States, if you're fat then you're fat, if you don't like that, well join a gym or learn to eat right, it's not hard, 5 year old kids manage this. (Assuming not a medical issue obviously)
[+]
By angrykitty 2014-05-22 19:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 19:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
I honestly don't care what weight someone is until it impacts me directly, ie someones race wouldn't impact me directly, but being crushed by the person sat next to me because they weigh 23 stone and the bus braked hard, well you bet your *** I am going to say something.
About 320 lbs. or 146 kg, for those unfamiliar with this random British unit of weight.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-22 19:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Wow...

OK ...

Wow...

So many things to say but where to start . . .

You're fat and don't like the stigma, fair enough everyone has the right to live without persecuation (Human Right) but when you directly punish someone because they cost you a direct costs IE: More fuel for airplanes / busses etc or because someone takes up 2 seats, I'm not sure you can really say much against it.

If you take up 2 seats and cost that business an extra patron, why should the company have to foot the bill because of something you can change and you have direct control over?

Now I know Weight brings with it self esteem issues, and I;m not referring to people on the Heavier / less athletic side, I mean the people who are Obese.

If this is Directed at just general people who contribute to society and who are simple labled by society as "fat" but are actually say ~ a healthy weight, then I would hope those people tell those biggots to *** off.

I know we're a "feelings orientated" Society these days, but I feel things have gotten out of hands IE nanny States, if you're fat then you're fat, if you don't like that, well join a gym or learn to eat right, it's not hard, 5 year old kids manage this. (Assuming not a medical issue obviously)
The problem, as experts have looked at this, is that it's not quite *that* simple.

more than eating right or exercising, which does help, there are a lot of differing factors that cause weight gain, as a means to protect the body, even if it ultimately means harming it.

Extended exposure to a stressful environment, or stress in general, is one of the driving causes of weight gain. Then there's the portion sizes and types of food we eat.

believe it or not, it's not sugary of fat-laden foods that cause obesity - it's wheat products that are made from cattle grains, that are designed to add weight to cattle. Sure, any kind of over consumption without a way to burn off the sugar, fat, or over-all calorie intake is going to take it's toll.

Fat-shaming, rather than finding constructive criticism, can and will cause/add to stress, leading to a breakdown of personal morale and how the victim sees themselves.

You want to tell people "go to the gym, you lazy fat-***!" then offer to be a gym buddy.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-22 19:14:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Ramyrez is a tough looking bad-*** on the outside, but soft n gooey on the inside.

Like Frank Moses.

*truestory.jpg*
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-05-22 19:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you guys rate Angrykitty's trolling?
By fonewear 2014-05-22 19:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you guys rate Angrykitty's trolling?

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By angrykitty 2014-05-22 19:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

does my vote count?

Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-22 19:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Managing weight for most people is a passive exercise. Even overweight people don't have to give a lot of thought to maintaining weight. Losing weight IS as simple as reducing intake. Certain types of biochemicals CONTRIBUTE, but no amount of hormones or genetics can cause you to maintain or gain weight if you consume less than you need. I gained a large amount of weight when I broke my back, but I've lost almost all of it by keeping a livable diet and doing minimal exercise. I'm not naturally thin, I've had to work at it my whole life, but firstly, I'm honest with myself about what I eat and have developed the willpower to deny myself things I know I don't need.

Even people who are genetically disposed to being large ARE over-eating, it's simple biology. Obviously this is excluding the very rare medical conditions that do exist, but are far less common than people want to believe.

I'd never shame a person for being overweight, I don't find them ugly or disgusting in any way, people are who they are. But, when a 400lbs person orders a salad at a restaurant and professes that they always eat healthy, I call ***.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-22 19:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

As a male of appreciable girth myself, I just want to say that "Fat Pride" is more irritating than "Fat Shame", Reddit has a term for those who think being morbidly obese entitles them to the moon they're so eager to challenge in mass. Hamplanet.

That's just reflective of my stance on defining yourself by shallow physical attributes though. I'm equally antagonistic to the vain "Forever sixteen" group or the accessory spammers. Obnoxiously large ear gauges and a sleeve of tattoos are not a substitute for a personality.
[+]
By sweetsnopea 2014-05-22 19:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe if this country would moderate the fast food places ie the commercials at 10pm-4am also the Portion control is outrageous when going out to eat then maybe the majority of the ppl would slim down it isn't that hard to workout for 20 mins a day and eat HEALTHY!! to get in shape
By angrykitty 2014-05-22 19:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got nothing against people who are overweight, I know its rough because when I quit smoking I was 260 lbs. I was obese. After 8 months I got down to 206. I think it just takes a little self discipline if you want the change. Sorry if I offended anyone here.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 19:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
But, when a 400lbs person orders a salad at a restaurant and professes that they always eat healthy, I call ***.
I can eat healthy and be rotund. Healthy is not the same thing as appropriate caloric intake, but people conflate them pretty often (to say nothing of totally misjudging what is actually healthy for them -- I've grown so tired of people complaining about the KFC Double Down as though it is somehow less healthy than the bucket of chicken they'd normally get).
By sweetsnopea 2014-05-22 19:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

you can't think one salad will fix the weight it also takes WORKING OUT
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-22 19:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I was 425lbs and *did* eat healthy foods. My family is not pre-disposed to genetics that cause medical issues which cause obesity or large size.

You ever see those "strongest Man" competitions? They're going to be way healthier than the general populace, but can still weigh as much as 500lbs.

Larger people, who are genetically disposed to being large, actually eat less, and still gain weight, and most of them, never eat an ounce more than the daily recommended server, or daily caloric intake.

Hell, most underweight people tend to eat more than the larger people do, because of an over-active metabolism. An under-active metabolism can cause obesity, regardless of how much or how little you eat. Knowing when to eat, is just as important as knowing what to eat.

If you want to lose weight, 5 small meals a day, using foods that kickstart the metabolic rate your body uses to metabolize and use that caloric intake, is your best bet. Cooking with healthy foods, and exercise is going to help.

Then again, it's not as simple as just eating right, you have to be able to afford to eat right, in the here and now.

Bottle of water? Between 1.99 and 3.50. Burger? 99 cents, while a salad costs 5 bucks.

You have to actually know the market, and the foods to buy, before you can eat healthy.
 Bismarck.Inference
user: Inference
By Bismarck.Inference 2014-05-22 19:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course the ratio of convenience to unhealthy in fast food doesn't make losing the weight any easier, but I wouldn't say that it's the companies responsibility to give me food portions that will keep me a healthy weight unless they advertise it as such. Smaller portions means I could just order two, anyways.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By angrykitty 2014-05-22 19:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
you're either happy with how you look or not, making excuses or blaming society isn't any better.
YES!!
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-22 19:33:56
Link | Quote | Reply

sweetsnopea said: »
you can't think one salad will fix the weight it also takes WORKING OUT

Do some research. Changing diet and monitoring not only the number of calories, but the type, is far more influential than time in the gym. On an ideal level -- that is, one that's barely attainable by anyone who isn't a professional athlete -- you'll burn ~450 calories/hr in the gym, and most people have no more than 60-90 minutes to spend in a gym when combined with a real job.

Do you know what 550 calories is?

It's a single milkshake.

You can't consume that and even feel full.

Diet is HUGE compared to working out.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-22 19:35:40
Link | Quote | Reply

it's not just a little willpower that goes into slimming down. it takes a lot of effort and knowledge to do it the correct way, and safely.

People assume that dropping more than 30lbs in a week is good, because it's weight loss.

It can be dangerous to your health to drop weight that fast. Your organs and various tissues have to have time to become accustomed to the physical changes happening.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 19:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
So got a chance to watch this and it was pretty painful.

As someone who has more in common with the fat girl in this situation, though, I have spent a lot of time wondering why I tend to favor skinny guys. Most of the men I've dated haven't been conventionally attractive because they're often little better than skin-and-bones. I eventually realized that it was because I sought people who appeared the way I wanted to be (I was extremely skinny as a kid but puberty and testosterone changed that quickly). I suspect that my skinny boyfriends liked a stockier fellow like me for similar reasons, since I am far from the first or last person with my bodytype that they've all dated.

Between this clip and my own investigations, I wonder where the truth lies. I do find some pudgy guys attractive, to be sure, though it seems to be rarely mutual (probably because I have the personality of a sandpaper blowfish -- no, I'm not blind to that), but am I afraid my *** will fall off if I "settle" for that? I really don't think so, but I could be fooling myself. After all, for all the noise that gets made about it, being overweight is nothing like an overnight death sentence and probably isn't as big a deal as we make of it, so is it just about status?

I will say that I do genuinely have physical problems with someone who is substantially larger than me, but that is almost always a bone structure thing rather than presence of paunch. Being limited out of one or two sexual positions hardly seems like a good reason not to date someone, though.
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-05-22 19:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a difference between saying "you are unattractive" (implying that the person is somehow objectively unattractive to everyone) and saying "you do not attract me." The former is needlessly rude and honestly a little ridiculous considering that attractiveness is so subjective. The latter, although much more appropriate, isn't something that really even needs to be said unless someone directly asks you for your opinion--which is of course all that you can speak for anyway.

My weight varies between 125~135lb, depending on how lazy I am with managing my calorie intake (too lazy lately ; ;). I'm toned, have abs and a nice ***, and am generally happy with my body type (I mention this to illustrate that my opinion on this issue isn't biased or self-serving). I like other guys with this body type. But I also like guys with a stockier body type. Even some guys with significantly stockier body types can be really attractive. If you disagree, well...

So yea. Telling someone they are unattractive for whatever reason is kind of dumb. Someone else certainly disagrees, which disproves your claim.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9