U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 38 39 40 ... 44 45 46
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-13 15:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Jetackuu said: »
reduce the amount of CO2 we're putting in the atmosphere then reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.
So how do you do this?
The price of fossil fuels has to more accurately represent their true cost. There's really no way around it. Alternative green energy will just be a novelty until there's a financial incentive to actually invest in the proper infrastructure for it. Solar has been catching on in a lot of places simply because we have parts of the country where the space is cheap and panel technology has become less expensive, but a larger paradigm shift would have to include a much larger shift in order to avoid certain goal lines that we don't really want to reach.

The price of fossil fuels is a lot higher than the public thinks, since they don't seem to realize how much of their paycheck is used to subsidize it.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-13 15:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
So basically it's a stalemate. I don't have access to it because of bureaucratic barriers, and out of pure principle I never accept a graph at face value that I am not allowed to duplicate.
How in the world do you assimilate new knowledge then? To stay on top of things in any field you have to constantly be reading papers and accounting for new idea and findings. How do you get anywhere if you treat a published paper like a copy of the National Enquirer?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 15:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

reduce the amount of CO2 we're putting in the atmosphere then reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.
So how do you do this?
The price of fossil fuels has to more accurately represent their true cost. There's really no way around it. Alternative green energy will just be a novelty until there's a financial incentive to actually invest in the proper infrastructure for it. Solar has been catching on in a lot of places simply because we have parts of the country where the space is cheap and panel technology has become less expensive, but a larger paradigm shift would have to include a much larger shift in order to avoid certain goal lines that we don't really want to reach.
OK finally a more sensible answer.

However, fossil fuels prices have plummeted recently. So the opposite is happening atm.

Although like I said when this topic first started solar has been slowly catching on, but not close to numbers needed to generate the power being used.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-08-13 15:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
I would like to see a study of climate scientists.

I can guarantee with certainty that almost every young adult choosing to pursue that field already has their mind made up on the subject of climate change before they've ever cracked a book or done an experiment. I am sure they are liberal. I am sure in America they already vote Democrat. Certain fields attract people of a certain mindset.

When you can't argue against the science, just call all the scientists a liberal conspiracy, cause that doesn't make you sound like a fruitcake...

OK Guy and every scientist that disputes global warming is just working for the oil companies. Haven't heard that one.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-13 15:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

every scientist that disputes global warming
All three of them!
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-13 15:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
I would like to see a study of climate scientists.

I can guarantee with certainty that almost every young adult choosing to pursue that field already has their mind made up on the subject of climate change before they've ever cracked a book or done an experiment. I am sure they are liberal. I am sure in America they already vote Democrat. Certain fields attract people of a certain mindset.

When you can't argue against the science, just call all the scientists a liberal conspiracy, cause that doesn't make you sound like a fruitcake...

OK Guy and every scientist that disputes global warming is just working for the oil companies. Haven't heard that one.

Not from me. But, knowing you, vested interest is meaningless unless it yields results you don't like.
By fonewear 2015-08-13 15:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Solar power when will people learn !

[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-13 15:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Solar power when will people learn !
Superman did.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-13 15:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

50 years from now when we destroy the Earth then we can use green energy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 15:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically it's a stalemate. I don't have access to it because of bureaucratic barriers, and out of pure principle I never accept a graph at face value that I am not allowed to duplicate.
How in the world do you assimilate new knowledge then? To stay on top of things in any field you have to constantly be reading papers and accounting for new idea and findings. How do you get anywhere if you treat a published paper like a copy of the National Enquirer?

It's rather simple. I file it in my head as "interesting but unproven". I can't count the number of studies that I've read that have been directly contradicted by later studies. I've gotten away from that in internet arguments because it's no fun to have to say "I heard this, but I can't vouch for its veracity" every freaking time, but on a personal level that's exactly how I think.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-13 15:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry Elon Musk will have us all laving on Mars by the year 2020 !

First stop for me space hookers !
By fonewear 2015-08-13 15:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 15:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop burning so much fossil fuels, brilliant. Like I said before, until this can actually be done, the current plan is to tax the average citizen while both alarmists and oil/coal/fracking companies make more profits.

It can actually be done. Do you have any idea how many oil power plants there are in the US?
By fonewear 2015-08-13 15:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop burning so much fossil fuels, brilliant. Like I said before, until this can actually be done, the current plan is to tax the average citizen while both alarmists and oil/coal/fracking companies make more profits.

It can actually be done. Do you have any idea how many oil power plants there are in the US?

No and I don't care to know !
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 15:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, Jet. Something that you and I agree on is that most of those should be nuclear instead.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-13 15:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Iran agrees too!

Ok ok sorry!!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-13 15:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Nuclear power but who will be the safety inspector in sector 7G !
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 15:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Nuclear power but who will be the safety inspector is sector 7G !

Who else?

[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-08-13 15:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Boomer/Athena, nooooooooooooooooooo!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-13 15:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me vent the stupid gas then:

[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-13 15:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, Jet. Something that you and I agree on is that most of those should be nuclear instead.

I'm not opposed to nuclear power, it's become much safer in the last few decades and all the high profile mishaps were older reactors with known flaws and made worse by incompetence. I feel like nuclear inherently requires a level of oversight that we don't currently give to our petro plants. Still, building those plants is crazy expensive, and no energy company is going to invest that kind of scratch unless they are either forced to by regulation or coerced to with massive tax subsidies and land grants. That used to be the party divide, too. Not whether we should invest in clean energy, but how to do it.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 15:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I did some quick math (and it very well may not be accurate) but by rough count we could replace our 700+ oil plants (more than the rest of the world combined, apparently) with about 70 nuclear plants and get the same amount of energy from them.

Granted it would take decades, hence why it should start now.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 15:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Iran agrees too!

Ok ok sorry!!

It produces several times the energy, it's a smart move.
By fonewear 2015-08-13 15:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm okay with nuclear power long as this person is in charge:

Hard to read but it says Canary M Burns !
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 15:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Nuclear power, something we can all agree on. Although when they figure out how to do fission effectively, that would be something spectacular.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-13 15:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So we got wind water and solar what about heart ? Can we make electricity with heart!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 15:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, we've got net-positive fusion happening now. It's going to be interesting to see who fights against that when it becomes a much larger and more viable energy source.

Edit: Oops, said fission, meant fusion.
By fonewear 2015-08-13 16:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The power is yours you lazy *** !
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-13 16:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fusion is right around the corner.. I posted that last time.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 16:06:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Fusion is right around the corner.. I posted that last time.
Never mind, lol.

I always get the two mixed up.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 38 39 40 ... 44 45 46