Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Spaekona's/Archmage's gear
Spaekona's/Archmage's gear
 Ragnarok.Liteholt
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Liteholt
By Ragnarok.Liteholt 2014-04-07 11:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a bit torn here, as I haven't been focusing on BLM as much as on other jobs lately, so maybe someone here can help me out on this.

At present, I've mainly been running my BLM with full Hagondes set, with a few swaps for fastcast pieces (Orvail +1 pants, Chelona boots, Swith Cape). I've made the 109 AF coat, legs, and feet, and the 109 relic legs. And I'm honestly having trouble figuring out in which situations I would actually want to use the relic set. I'm guessing the "magic skill +" bonuses would be good if you were up against something that you needed to minimize resists on?

Also for augments on Hagondes, I haven't had much luck yet, nor have I been lucky enough to get any KIs to +1 them. Best augments I have are M.Acc+20 on the head, MAB+13 on the feet, and Fast Cast+5 on the body. I recently got my hands on a pair of Bokwus boots, and have been going down the M.Acc path with them to help with resists as well.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice on what situations would make Spaekona/Archmage win out over Hagondes? For the most part, I only use Spaekona's body when I'm doing Reives or going to be spamming T1/2 nukes to prolong my MP.

ETA: When it comes to staves, I have the Atinian, Baqil, a Skirmish +1 staff with Fast Cast+3 augment, and the Magian Ice and Thunder staves.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Liteholt
Server: Ragnarok
user: Liteholt
By Ragnarok.Liteholt 2014-04-07 12:20:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I managed to grab a Haruspex Hat +1 the other day, it makes for a good FC piece (and I can even use it on DNC when subbing NIN or RUN, so that's nice).
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-07 12:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You use it when you need macc.

Was nuking some IT Umbrils last night, didn't do squat for damage with full MAB augmented Hagondes set. Damage got a lot better when I swapped out for as much macc as I could.
By Pantafernando 2014-04-07 12:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Liteholt said: »
I'm a bit torn here, as I haven't been focusing on BLM as much as on other jobs lately, so maybe someone here can help me out on this.

At present, I've mainly been running my BLM with full Hagondes set, with a few swaps for fastcast pieces (Orvail +1 pants, Chelona boots, Swith Cape). I've made the 109 AF coat, legs, and feet, and the 109 relic legs. And I'm honestly having trouble figuring out in which situations I would actually want to use the relic set. I'm guessing the "magic skill +" bonuses would be good if you were up against something that you needed to minimize resists on?

Also for augments on Hagondes, I haven't had much luck yet, nor have I been lucky enough to get any KIs to +1 them. Best augments I have are M.Acc+20 on the head, MAB+13 on the feet, and Fast Cast+5 on the body. I recently got my hands on a pair of Bokwus boots, and have been going down the M.Acc path with them to help with resists as well.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice on what situations would make Spaekona/Archmage win out over Hagondes? For the most part, I only use Spaekona's body when I'm doing Reives or going to be spamming T1/2 nukes to prolong my MP.

ETA: When it comes to staves, I have the Atinian, Baqil, a Skirmish +1 staff with Fast Cast+3 augment, and the Magian Ice and Thunder staves.

The afs lack the mainforce of blms, the mab and magic damage, so, power wise, every piece is weaker than every piece in hagondes, arguably even the nq with good augments.

But both afs can achieve high elemental magic or magic accuracy value, so i just can see that as a scenario where it would be prefered over hagondes (keep in mind hagondes is amazing, its natural being hard to surpass this set).

Now why would you give up attack for acc? Prob se wants to bring the same issues of dds to mages. Hardest versions of nms, battlefields we face nms with stupidly high evasion and magic evasion, so the nukes hit weak due to resist, forcing you to choose macc over magic offensive stats. Prob, in those situations, you would need to rely on macc rolls, geo languor/focus and threnodies. But tbh, the only content where this would be required is difficult and very difficult version of bcnms, but those wont favor blms in any way, so nvm, and stick with hagondes. At 119 content, like skirmish 3, nukes can deal reliable dmg, with considerable spikes for magic weak mobs like umbril, so skip afs, stick with hagondes.

Prob the afs were designed for blms in very difficult bcnm but blms have a lot of problems aside accuracy to deal with, like mp pool, enmity and mainly, lack of power in zerg situations. Adding high meva mobs is more a slap in the face of blms. The dps already is pretty lackluster, and se wants us to reduce even more our dmg to add enmity-, macc gear..

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.