Killing Ifrit is Dead
 Odin.Skjalf
MSPaint Winner
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Skjalf 2014-03-20 10:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It is a real shame to see Killing Ifrit go. ; ;

If anyone has any of the modded DATs posted on Killing Ifrit that would like to see them preserved for posterityā€ˇ to enjoy, please contact me. I am plan hosting them at the FFXI DAT Repository website which will be located at http://ffxidat.x10.mx/

Thank you,
Skjalf
 Sylph.Shipp
Server: Sylph
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-03-20 12:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quite sad. I never really got back into posting a ton after my no lifer account was one of the casualties in the server transfer circa 05-07. I still posted quite a bit on my new account, but not like I used to. There was a lot of good drama on KI. Gonna miss it.
 Cerberus.Kodaijin
Server: Cerberus
user: Kodaijin
By Cerberus.Kodaijin 2014-03-20 12:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Just for the hell of it. From KI...
Here are pics of the very first AV kill (glitched)

[+]
 Cerberus.Avalon
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-03-20 12:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kodaijin said: »
Just for the hell of it. From KI...
Here are pics of the very first AV kill (glitched)

Look at all those Osodes, Haidates, Optical Hats, Noble's Tunics, etc. :D
 Phoenix.Elizabet
Server: Phoenix
user: Elizabet
By Phoenix.Elizabet 2014-03-20 12:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Avalon said: »
Look at all those Osodes, Haidates, Optical Hats, Noble's Tunics, etc. :D

Look at dat 4:3 aspect ratio! So much memories.
 Sylph.Feary
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2014-03-20 13:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

lol

get tod

THF kill shot!
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-03-20 13:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Feary said: »
lol

get tod

Such Aspidochelone/King Behemoth/Nidhogg mentality ! I also lol'd
By Arziet 2014-03-20 13:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Was the first FFXI fansite I ever visited and followed. R.I.P.

Somepage This is the first one I ever visited, but remember killing Ifrit along with Allakhazam being in the first 3. FFXI was the first Online game I ever played, growing up in the generation of Atari, my best friend of 20 years now who is huge Square fan and Asian pre ordered it for me as a gift for my birthday so I could play with him as at that time I was working in Cincinnati and he was in Michigan.

I remember being so excited about a game being online, and how much information was on all these sights. I quickly became extremely social chatting nightly with friends on vent and in chat rooms and forums. FFXI has had a great community surrounding it for a very long time. Unfortunately all my old school personal friends who played have all moved on to other games.

I still enjoy my nightly Skype chats with Kama, Kilah, Ieyasu. I believe the social community is what keeps ffxi alive.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-03-20 14:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow, somepage. I'd forgotten entirely about that site.
[+]
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-03-20 14:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of people forgot about Somepage after it was compromised and visitors were getting hacked. <___<
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-03-20 14:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Carrelo said: »
A lot of people forgot about Somepage after it was compromised and visitors were getting hacked. <___<

The day this story broke, I stopped visiting this website.

Think i stopped KI forum trolling when Ballista Royale ended, and the ballista craze died across the servers. This was around the same time SE made it clear that they no longer care about Balli.

Good memories
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-03-20 14:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Even though I've only been on KI a few times it is/was a great site. Probably my favorite site that had early relevant info on Treasure Chests/Coffer locations and the enemies that drop said keys. So all of KI including all of it's helping pages will be gone? Or will it be like it will be gone but some pages regarding FFXI info like the coffers, avatars will remain? I remember some sites that have closed down but left pages behind.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Arziet 2014-03-20 14:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »

GOT Belts! I even got one to make sure I always hang to the left.
 Bismarck.Hsieh
Server: Bismarck
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2014-03-20 14:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Arziet said: »
Was the first FFXI fansite I ever visited and followed. R.I.P.

Somepage This is the first one I ever visited, but remember killing Ifrit along with Allakhazam being in the first 3. FFXI was the first Online game I ever played, growing up in the generation of Atari, my best friend of 20 years now who is huge Square fan and Asian pre ordered it for me as a gift for my birthday so I could play with him as at that time I was working in Cincinnati and he was in Michigan.

I remember being so excited about a game being online, and how much information was on all these sights. I quickly became extremely social chatting nightly with friends on vent and in chat rooms and forums. FFXI has had a great community surrounding it for a very long time. Unfortunately all my old school personal friends who played have all moved on to other games.

I still enjoy my nightly Skype chats with Kama, Kilah, Ieyasu. I believe the social community is what keeps ffxi alive.
Somepage and allakazham were the first sites I went to when my two strategy guides became obsolete. I think those two and KI laid the foundation for other sites such as this, BG, and ffxi.wiki.

I also miss the website for ffxi real players lol.
By Arziet 2014-03-20 14:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Cerberus.Avalon
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-03-20 14:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Arziet said: »

Oh man, lol. This was my strategy guide when I first got the game. Good memories!

Here's a quote from the guide:

"Everyone has the same chance to succeed in Final Fantasy XI. Asking for a quick scroll loan is fine, but running around the capital asking for handouts is not."

I think I got the quote right.. oh well!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-03-20 15:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh god, that Strategy Guide was soooo sketchy in some areas. I don't even know for sure the company who wrote it up, BradyGames ever stepped one foot in vanadiel to see for themselves. Inconsistencies all over.

But good memories indeed.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-03-20 15:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

volger skillet
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2014-03-20 15:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I've still got that Guide buried in a box somewhere. I found it when I moved a couple years ago, had to skim through it for the laughs and reminisces.

Good times.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-03-20 18:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I have two separate editions of the FFXI Bradygames guide. Some of the stuff, especially job/subjob combinations, are hilarious. It's also one of the big reasons why I was looking around for an FFXI forum when I was at work: it was very clear that Monk/White Mage was not going to be viable whatever it said.

I should scan some of the funnier bits of those guides and post 'em. Folks who started playing after 2005 or so have probably never seen what passed for decent information back then. Hell, the lousiness of Brady is a big part of why I wrote guides on KI.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-03-20 20:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR/WHM because it's like PLD with an axe

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-03-20 21:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll never forget the countless hours I spent pruning virus from the computers of people who frequented KI and somepage....

Seriously though I'll miss lurking KI.

WAR/WHM because it's like PLD with an axe

BUTTERSHEEEEEEEP
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-03-21 15:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Some of the stuff, especially job/subjob combinations, are hilarious. ... it was very clear that Monk/White Mage was not going to be viable whatever it said.

And now I finally realize why there were so many bad and uninformed players back in 2004. Then again, for its time, it did have some useful information regarding game mechanics etc., although once the player base realized that goblin rushes on war/whm were preeeettty much one shotting them, we got the point: Brady Games didnt know wtf they were talking about.
By Leysritt 2014-03-21 15:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Unaisis said: »
Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
I wanted to get Unaisis' (sp?) guide on how to rip models from ffxi and make my own ffxi movies but... I think it was pruned a while back. Guess I'll never find those programs he used...

i'm still around XD

PM what you want to know and i may be able to point you in the right direction~

On topic tho~

I Will miss the good ol days of KI /cry! a lot of good (and bad) memories there! R.I.P!!!!

You glorious son of a ***
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [44 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2014-05-04 14:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering when this would happen. Sadly, the site hadn't been touched by users in several years.

I got started over there (and on forums in general) as a result of having a job that I did too efficiently and it being one of the few sites not blocked by my work's proxy.

Shame to see it go. I should probably back up my posts just for my own sake.

Narcissistic much there Path? I had to spell check narcissistic.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-05-04 15:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I have two separate editions of the FFXI Bradygames guide. Some of the stuff, especially job/subjob combinations, are hilarious. It's also one of the big reasons why I was looking around for an FFXI forum when I was at work: it was very clear that Monk/White Mage was not going to be viable whatever it said.

I should scan some of the funnier bits of those guides and post 'em. Folks who started playing after 2005 or so have probably never seen what passed for decent information back then. Hell, the lousiness of Brady is a big part of why I wrote guides on KI.
MNK/WHM was used for burst damage on Sky gods, I know a few MNKs who prided themselves on not only their normal setup but their MND set up as well. This was before CoP was fully released though.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-04 15:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm very aware, Anna, but I was talking about when leveling up.

I actually grabbed my Brady Guide and it doesn't recommend /WHM for Monk. Oh, no, indeed not. It recommends /RDM. I'm not clever enough to make this up:

Quote:
Monk/Red Mage
Red Mages aren't usually taken as a support job because of their somewhat limited Magic Points. As a support job for a Monk, this is even more pronounced, yet a number of people are very happy with this duo. One reason may be the truly one-sided way that Monks deal with most problems by walking up and hitting monsters until they collapse. With a Red Mage, enfeebling magic is possible. A Monk who can enfeeble and exploit enemy weaknesses can still be effective.

I want to play the game where that recommendation makes sense, that is, where a support job allows one to do most of what the main job can do. You'd still wind up with the usual MNK/WAR and DRG/SAM paradigms since you'd want to mix the best of two similar jobs, but it would be fun to occasionally contribute a bit more. I think that's why some people enjoy subbing RUN for certain Delve runs.

@Draugo: No more "narcissistic" than keeping a folder of screenshots. It's my work-product, why wouldn't I want to retain it?
 Carbuncle.Killkenny
Server: Carbuncle
user: Killkenny
By Carbuncle.Killkenny 2014-05-04 15:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that's why some people enjoy subbing RUN for certain Delve runs.

Except its not for fun, people sub /run because its used to remove auras/proc blue.

Theres also a difference between an expected degree of sentimentality and the cringe worthy narcissism you display.