How Can I Be A Strictly Less Turrible Whm?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » How can I be a strictly less turrible whm?
How can I be a strictly less turrible whm?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-03-21 21:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

yea i do 1800~ stones on whm/sch on them too but you know melee, for some reason they have to engage everything and give it tp lol. plus most people dont know the value of blm in skirmish never mind do the right thing and gather all the umbrils so you can 1 shot all of them with firaja or something lol.
 Ragnarok.Daffel
Server: Ragnarok
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2014-03-22 04:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Jirachi said: »
I'm trying to point out there are still uses for regen. Not Regen is better than cures overall.
Also I never said anything about AoE Regens, Typically I keep Regen on 1 person maybe throw it over on someone else if their low and not in a possible death situation.
PLDs getting hit for 20-100 damage tanking things could use a regen help keep their HP from falling too a before they cure themselves.
You wouldn't cast Regen on them right as the fight starts, let them cure themselves a few times and pull hate first. But Regen is still effective in keeping them capped off on HP to lesson their chance of being 1 shot.

You're the first person to complain about me regening people on a regular basis, I've never had problems with MP or keeping people up.

And; Yeah relics aren't hard to make, but their time consuming. Even in an end game shell you cant reply on all your best geared people to be there.
RL stuff happens and they miss a day, do you disband the run or go with a BRD with 1 instrument?

My comments were not really aimed at anyone, just quoted as you pair were having the regen discussion. I mentioned AoE regens as I have seen WHMs do it when I have been DDing. Sure other budding WHMs might be reading this (maybe) and learn AoE regen unless in NNI or something is not so hot.

I like regen and probably will continue to regen PLDs and who ever else. For no other reason than it breaks up the monotony of cure and haste spamming so I don't switch off. Just probably not so much in super EG stuff where I will probably have more important things to get on with.
 Ragnarok.Daffel
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2014-03-22 04:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Bukadan said: »
the people i play with literally never speak a word when im on white mage. they know that i am doing things in a way that holds their survival in priority #1, while maintaining the DPS of the party under that priority. IE. i dont give a ***about poison 1-10hp/tic ect. but ill get rid of para before it even procs on them when possible. if they havnt played with me before they quickly learn and notice the difference between their normal whm and one that they can actually depend on.

my whm motto is that no one should have to ask for any of those spells. they should assume that i know because a good whm should know and those melee should know that their whm is doing their job correctly. i mean, would you rather play with a whm like that, or one that you have to ask for those spells even half the time? lol how do you think those whm will react when they are stressed.

I'm never bothered if anyone mentions a debuff I miss, I'm only human. Would rather they say and me get it than them not say and just call me gimplets. This attitude is also counter productive to new WHMs. People have to learn somewhere and when people first hit 99 they are probably going to be a bit slower than your vet WHM. If people are intimidated to level it, then the pool of truly talented WHMs diminishes even more.

If people of Rag don't like it, don't take me WHM. ^.^
[+]
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-03-22 12:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i mean it should be ultimately what you live by, not really the true life result. when you go in to an event, you should go into it with that as your guide. being lax on it will only lead to laxing on everything. it comes down to being a ^reactive whm to a *proactive whm.

*reactive the mob is proactive whm.
^reactive to players asking is reactive whm.

you will always be a step behind if you have to wait to be told. which doesnt hold up well if things go south meaning links, unforseen aoe damage in quick succession, ect. you want to be perpared and caught up for what is to happen next, this is why it is important for whm's to adopt the "no one should have to ask me for na spells, hastes, ect" motto because it should bother you in situations that you have done/plan to do several or more times in the near future. using this motto will directly lead to increased dps of your melee, which will directly lead to the enemy dying faster, which will directly lead to the end faster with less time for potential problems.

however when you dont know the mobs well, and wont look it up, you can ask what they do to someone in the party. memorizing what status effects each move does and spellsets of mobs is key.

a trick is, if a mob has not weapon skilled in a few seconds, it will soon. get party cured up, then maybe accession cure4 to give them all SS. when it hasnt casted a spell in awhile, itll do it soon, so have your party cured when it starts casting, and since you predicted it would cast soon, and know what spells it can cast, you are prepared for what to react to it with.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-03-22 16:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

In this day and age, you definitely notice a good whm.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-03-22 17:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Regen isn't really used for it's MP efficiency since most of the time cure will be more efficient. It's useful because it generated nearly no CE, which is the bane of all WHM's in prolonged fights. Since most players in this game aren't super pimped experienced EG goers fights can drag on and if the WHM has been doing their job then you'll eventually be hitting CE cap, which is a very bad thing. Also useful for times when your melee's won't be generating sh!t for enmity like the MNK holding mata. Regen isn't useless (without use), it just has limited use's and shouldn't be the primary method used to cure people.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-03-22 18:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't make excuses for bad players in a thread that's devoted to how to be a good whm.

And WHM regen is still useless.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-03-22 18:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Don't make excuses for bad players in a thread that's devoted to how to be a good whm.

it's not useless, it's just very niche and mostly inefficient or ineffective. Regen on mobs with DoT auras is helpful.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-03-22 19:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

it's not useless, it's just very niche and mostly inefficient or ineffective. Regen on mobs with DoT auras is helpful.

He's just being belligerent that's all. Being a good WHM is about having insanely fast reflex's, prepared for everything, knowing what tool to use in which situation and being able to multi-task and maintain a mental list of ***that needs done while prioritizing it accordingly.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-03-22 20:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, Regen5 that's been perp'ed.

Not much else.

Stop pretending to live in the past, you're not actually going to cast regen every minute or so.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-03-22 20:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, Regen5 that's been perp'ed.

Not much else.

Stop pretending to live in the past, you're not actually going to cast regen every minute or so.

Regen 4 is useful in certain instances.

but if we're going to argue a Regen V is more useful, well all I can say is DUH.

If you are 18 manning stuff, or dont want to swap a SCH in for the sole purpose of Regen V, then why would regen 4 not be useful?

It has a Niche, he never once said spam the *** out of it cos it's always super useful yo.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-03-22 20:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it's never useful. Terrible MP efficiency, takes twice as long as Cure5 to cast, no cure skin, etc.

He never said to spam it but you're gonna have to because it only lasts a bit over a minute.

Regen4 is never useful and should never be used because it takes up about 6 seconds to cast+cool down. A lot can happen in 6 seconds and it's a waste and a terrible decision to cast something that -might- help rather than be on standby and react to something that needs your attention immediately. Everyone here who's played WHM a decent amount of time has seen someone take 2-3k+ damage in under 5 seconds. What are you going to tell them? "Oh, I couldn't cure you because I was busy casting regenIV so you'll have 40~hp/tick for a little over a minute."

It's stupid, it's bad decision making and decision making is 75% of what it is to be a WHM.

Regen used to be effective years ago when the fights were slower, but the game's different now and it's not anymore.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-03-22 21:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it's never useful. Terrible MP efficiency, takes twice as long as Cure5 to cast, no cure skin, etc.

He never said to spam it but you're gonna have to because it only lasts a bit over a minute.

Regen4 is never useful and should never be used because it takes up about 6 seconds to cast+cool down. A lot can happen in 6 seconds and it's a waste and a terrible decision to cast something that -might- help rather than be on standby and react to something that needs your attention immediately. Everyone here who's played WHM a decent amount of time has seen someone take 2-3k+ damage in under 5 seconds. What are you going to tell them? "Oh, I couldn't cure you because I was busy casting regenIV so you'll have 40~hp/tick for a little over a minute."

It's stupid, it's bad decision making and decision making is 75% of what it is to be a WHM.

Regen used to be effective years ago when the fights were slower, but the game's different now and it's not anymore.

I completely agree casting it in the middle of fights is somewhat stupid, and REGEN 5 is better for the sole reason that Perpetuance makes it a reasonable duration. Personally I use it after a NM drops and peple start running in case they get adds (and they are no in range etc) lets them kite it for longer.

Again a Niche use, but exactly what I said it was. Certainly by no means something you would use frequently, or on all content.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-03-22 21:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

leave regen to SCH gaiz, cureskin is too strong to forfeit. a single cureskin is worth 1/3 or more of the HP from a full duration regen4 for WHM. sticking it up for something like a poison aura is ok, but... the maintenance cost in both time and MP (mostly time) limits its effectiveness.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2014-04-04 10:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Woah... people use Divine Caress?

Here I am thinking I was hipster for using Sacrosanctity effectively.
By Chyula 2014-04-04 11:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
Woah... people use Divine Caress?

Here I am thinking I was hipster for using Sacrosanctity effectively.

What is Divine Caress and Sacrosanctity???
 Cerberus.Spirachub
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-04-04 11:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

karusanyoshi said: »
Checking back in:

Got a lot more of my gear together, got a basic refresh and cure potency set.

ItemSet 321711

and

ItemSet 321712

Both still not done by any means. I have yet to attain Tamax, and am making due with only ~45% cure potency until then.

My refresh gear has been a very big help in events, and I have been playing with windower macros and battlemod before diving into xml's, but I'm learning more each day.

Next goals are 109 piety feet to cap cure pot until I get tamax, +2 orison cap for aoe -na's, then 99 whm jse and +2 orison mitts for divine caress benefit. I'm definitely subbing /sch to all events for aoe divine caress.

Divine caress only works on the person you target. (i know, it sucks! XD)

Nice to see you're improving, keep at it!
By Chyula 2014-04-04 11:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Talking on paper is pointless, most and even the well geared whms sucked because they fail to keep healing targets at a high hp level. always the same stupid flaw on waiting the target's hp drop to a low enough level for that cure 5-6. they failed to realize at that low hp level the mob can one shot even a well geared pld. All bunch of lazy whm refuse to spam cure 2-3 applying cureskin constantly.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-04 12:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Spirachub said: »
Checking back in:

ItemSet 321711

and

ItemSet 321712

Both still not done by any means. I have yet to attain Tamax, and am making due with only ~45% cure potency until then.

My refresh gear has been a very big help in events, and I have been playing with windower macros and battlemod before diving into xml's, but I'm learning more each day.

Next goals are 109 piety feet to cap cure pot until I get tamax, +2 orison cap for aoe -na's, then 99 whm jse and +2 orison mitts for divine caress benefit. I'm definitely subbing /sch to all events for aoe divine caress.

It works on the party. Thing is, everyone has to be hit with the enfeeble and then get it taken off with Divine Caress on. You can either do that with Divine Seal or AoE /SCH stratagem. I know this is true because when I'm WHM and people get hit with Breakga, I use Divine Caress + AoE /SCH strat + Stona and they all resist the next Breakga, all the time. Even if the effect wears off, you get a notification of everyone who got hit with Stona.
[+]
 Cerberus.Spirachub
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-04-04 12:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Checking back in:

ItemSet 321711

and

ItemSet 321712

It works on the party. Thing is, everyone has to be hit with the enfeeble and then get it taken off with Divine Caress on. You can either do that with Divine Seal or AoE /SCH stratagem. I know this is true because when I'm WHM and people get hit with Breakga, I use Divine Caress + AoE /SCH strat + Stona and they all resist the next Breakga, all the time. Even if the effect wears off, you get a notification of everyone who got hit with Stona.

nice, wasn't aware of that.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-04-04 12:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Checking back in:

ItemSet 321711

and

ItemSet 321712

nice, wasn't aware of that.

A Yagrush WHM didn't know the benefit of Caress....

D- Spira,
[+]
 Cerberus.Spirachub
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-04-04 12:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

<-- Does not get to play on whm. (Also believes there isn't that much value in divine caress, but let's not get into that. lol)
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-04 13:12:54
Link | Quote | Reply

any enfeeble that is bothersome or frequent enough to cause issue you're using rng's or dd's /run, and a solid resist casting set will make up the difference, but caress has a few niche uses.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-04 13:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Not everyone has a /RUN set for situations like that, or RNG geared sufficiently enough to do decent/greater damage than the DD job they have geared out the best.

I have never had any problems taking debuffs off of my DDs and keeping them cured. Mind you, I don't spam AoE -nas or Erase just for the fun of it...
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2014-04-04 13:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

That's got to be a (relatively) recent change. 'Cause I know for certain that divine caress didn't AoE when it came out. I also recall ppl asking to make it work when AoE'd on the OF, and SE going, "Well, maybe." But I don't recall ever seeing anything in the update notes about it. Did I just miss it, or was this ninja adjusted?

Also, I have a Yagrush(on my whm mule) and I didn't know it'd AoE'd now either. Shows how much use DC tends to get.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-04 13:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't take my word for it. I strongly suggest people to test it out for themselves.

You could do a 6 man Mastep or whatever that gnat NM for delve is, that bugger uses all sorts of enfeebles all the time, Breakga being a good one to test out.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2014-04-04 13:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I already tested it. lol. Just popped a blind potion on me and my mule, then DC blindna'd. Did get the effect on both.