Are You A Lukewarm Christian?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are You A Lukewarm Christian?
Are You A Lukewarm Christian?
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 19 20 21
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 08:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a lot of people forget that people are born atheists, religion is a taught behavior/mindset.

In an age of ever increasing logical thought, I dare imply that without indoctrination that religion would die in a few generations.

At least in more modern parts of the world.
 Ragnarok.Yatenkou
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Yatenkou
By Ragnarok.Yatenkou 2014-01-31 08:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. If they did, there would be no religious people.

They work on me just fine, problem sir?
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 08:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

news flash: not everyone you disagree with is a troll
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
On the opposite side of the coin: This site is grossly left leaning (almost militantly). It's also composed primarily of the "i just signed up for militant atheism" age group too.

I won't even normally post in these threads anymore because it's tiring. It's like accidentally walking into a fanatical feminist rally, or wearing a veteran uniform to hiroshima.

The worst part is it's usually the same ones crying about how they're always accosted by the religious. These religious tyrant's who constantly push their beliefs on you. Hyperbole, hypocrisy, etc.

I haven't been to church in 2 years. I'm probably the definition of lukewarm christian. It's not that i don't believe; I just don't care and frankly i'm relatively jaded (not getting into it due to

lost interest. thank god it's friday. enjoy your weekends guys.

there's no such thing as "militant atheism" it's disgusting to assert so.
By fonewear 2014-01-31 08:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

An Atheist has never been proven wrong am I right ? Why even question their great power to not believe.
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 08:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
An Atheist has never been proven wrong am I right ? Why even question their great power to not believe.

not sure what you're asserting, but you do have at least one part of that wrong, it's a lack of belief, not an active not believing that defines one as an atheist.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 08:56:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It is not lack of belief. It is belief that there is no God.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-01-31 08:56:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Polls, and stop trying to be the victim, how many millenia have Christians been persecuting everyone else?
Ooh a taunt. Didn't see that coming. Easy fella, the real Christian hating Jassik is starting to emerge.
THAT wasn't a taunt, it was a question, and I have no issue with Christians who don't try to dictate how I live my life.
Better live on a remote island with no other inhabitants around if you don't want anyone to try to dictate the way you live your life. It's not just Christians that will try to do that. It's pretty much everyone, I mean you're trying to dictate the way others live by telling them to keep what they beleive out of government. I guess you may overlook that because it goes along with what you want though?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-01-31 08:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Please not the lack of belief argument with Jet again... I beg you!
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 08:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

wrong!
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-01-31 08:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

it's ignorant to imply that it's not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Militant_Atheists

http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_dawkins_on_militant_atheism.html

http://atheism.about.com/od/Atheist-Dictionary/g/Definition-Militant-Atheist.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+atheist&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7rjrUsKlD7HeyQHJw4GgDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=925

Militant
adj.
combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favoring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods.

tl;dr: "I learned from some other kids at college that it was cool to hate on religion. I know you didn't even make an attempt to preach at me but I'm going to start spewing aggressive *** at you for disclosing you have beliefs".
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 08:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Please not the lack of belief argument with Jet again... I beg you!
then get it right
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 08:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

http://atheism.about.com/od/Atheist-Dictionary/g/Definition-Militant-Atheist.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+atheist&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7rjrUsKlD7HeyQHJw4GgDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=925

Militant
adj.
combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favoring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods.

tl;dr: "I learned from some other kids at college that it was cool to hate on religion. I know you didn't even make an attempt to preach at me but I'm going to start spewing aggressive *** at you for disclosing you have beliefs".

You yourself quoted what militant means, you cannot be militant lacking a belief, it's not possible.

If atheism were a system of beliefs it would be possible, but it's not.

It's ignorant to imply that it exists, because by the very definition of the two words, it cannot.

I know what you're describing, and it's not something that I would call "militant."
By fonewear 2014-01-31 08:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Militant
adj.

This describes pretty much everything in P&R.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-01-31 08:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I dare imply that without indoctrination that religion would die in a few generations
Depends on what you mean by religion. The institution? Yes, it would slowly die away, but the concept itself of people believing into something metaphysical wouldn't as it's strictly related to death.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 09:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

wrong!

If you haven't seen irrefutable proof of something then all you have is belief. Sorry to break the news to you Buddy.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 09:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Polls, and stop trying to be the victim, how many millenia have Christians been persecuting everyone else?
Ooh a taunt. Didn't see that coming. Easy fella, the real Christian hating Jassik is starting to emerge.
THAT wasn't a taunt, it was a question, and I have no issue with Christians who don't try to dictate how I live my life.
Better live on a remote island with no other inhabitants around if you don't want anyone to try to dictate the way you live your life. It's not just Christians that will try to do that. It's pretty much everyone, I mean you're trying to dictate the way others live by telling them to keep what they beleive out of government. I guess you may overlook that because it goes along with what you want though?

Pretty sure there's a logical fallacy here.
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 09:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I dare imply that without indoctrination that religion would die in a few generations
Depends on what you mean by religion. The institution? Yes, it would slowly die away, but the concept itself of people believing into something metaphysical wouldn't as it's strictly related to death.
I'll give you props, as you're right. I should distinguish between religious thought and organized religion, my bad.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-01-31 09:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

let's just not teach the children anything...

look how well it's worked for jet!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-01-31 09:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lack of belief is still a belief.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 09:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

wrong!

If you haven't seen irrefutable proof of something then all you have is belief. Sorry to break the news to you Buddy.

That has nothing to do with the argument at hand, short of possibly reinforcing another stance of mine?

people are born as atheists (without a belief in a god), it's taught to them, it's typically indoctrinated into the youth of the masses.
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 09:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

I was raised Christian, actually...

No it isn't. It's not always a matter of choosing not to decide either.
By fonewear 2014-01-31 09:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

This Atheism you speak of is it in the room with me right now ? I can't escape it!
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 09:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

wrong!

That has nothing to do with the argument at hand, short of possibly reinforcing another stance of mine?

people are born as atheists (without a belief in a god), it's taught to them, it's typically indoctrinated into the youth of the masses.

And what separates them from a religious person? The atheist believes that God does not exist. You said atheism is not a system of beliefs, but one belief is mandatory to be an atheist.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 09:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not really a deep thinker are you? How can you not see such an obvious fact? Two sides to every coin.
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 09:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

wrong!

And what separates them from a religious person? The atheist believes that God does not exist. You said atheism is not a system of beliefs, but one belief is mandatory to be an atheist.

You don't listen, it's not. Atheism isn't a belief, it's a lack of one.

It's the origin of the word, although it is greatly misused in today's world.

edit: it's like saying all people who have the lack of the belief in the Christian god are actively believing he doesn't exist, the two aren't equall things.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-01-31 09:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not really a deep thinker are you? How can you not see such an obvious fact? Two sides to every coin.
much more than a lot of people can fathom, it's not an obvious fact, and it's not a coin, there's more than just "you're with us, or against us"

being a sever neocon, I realize that you have a problem comprehending that.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-01-31 09:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand where this 'atheism belief' argument is coming from, but if you don't realize that it's silly you either are very limited or are just seeking for a fight(which is surprisingly common around here).
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 09:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

So if I choose to do nothing I'm not making a choice. All makes sense now.

Not doing something is still doing something.

Think about it in the sense of nothing.

What is nothing ? Can you describe nothing without words ?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 09:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

much more than a lot of people can fathom, it's not an obvious fact, and it's not a coin, there's more than just "you're with us, or against us"

being a sever neocon, I realize that you have a problem comprehending that.

OK I'll try to help you out one last time oh ye of little faith.

An improvable concept, once you've addressed it requires belief. You are born atheist because you had never considered the existence of a God at that point; however once the concept has been brought you your attention there are only two things that can happen:
1) You believe God is real
2) You believe God is not real
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 19 20 21