Are You A Lukewarm Christian?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are You A Lukewarm Christian?
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 19 20 21
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-01-31 10:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I don't think this is even a debate about religion or lack there of, at least, not any more. This is more of a squabble over English comprehension.

Me fail English that is unpossible.

[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 10:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Page ten I'm still believing in nothing. That is to say if nothing exists.

Also trees falling in a forest. Sound of one hand clapping and so on.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-01-31 10:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Anyway, back on topic, I think a lot of Christians end up becoming luke-warm because they're afraid of persecution. There comes a point where "secular" is taken to mean "anti-religion".

Presumptuous.

What if some see their Christianity as the fundamental building blocks to continuously expand upon? Rather than a solely "Christian" idea of faith, an amalgamation of faiths that is morphed into more of a spiritual philosophy.

What if Jesus's unaccounted for years were spent in a Mahayana (sp?) Buddhist temple? Atonement and redemption sounds an awful lot like Karma. I think some Christians could have a more fulfilling spiritual experience were they to also be receptive to the teachings of Buddha. (Being receptive to all ideas/philosophies and approaching each with "Tabula Rasa"...There's a Buddhist lesson!) Christians could also benefit from the Buddhist idea that cycles of constant questioning and curiosity fulfillment are a valuable part of life also.

Pope John Paul II officially accepted The Big Bang Theory as a way to fill in the Creationist dots for Catholics. What if the Hindus have it right? This is the current world that Vishnu oversees, Shiva and the destruction of the current world is lurking around the corner (apocalypse obviously), but never fear, Brahma will always be there to clean up Shiva's mess and restore the planet before handing it off to Vishnu again. That could also be "written in the stars".

Do you view secularism in terms of actually being "anti-religion" or simply "anti-Christian"? What do you honestly have to say about your path in Christianity if you are never exposed or give yourself exposure to other religions?

I wonder how many here went to Confirmation and actually invoked the hidden message.

Back to reading.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 10:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Buddhism I'm not Richard Gere damn it ! I tried other religions but found listening to Nirvana better than achieving it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-01-31 10:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Page ten I'm still believing in nothing. That is to say if nothing exists.

Also trees falling in a forest. Sound of one hand clapping and so on.
You also don't exist.

Now lets go to Hooters.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 10:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I would actually go to Hooters if they stopped serving food...
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-01-31 10:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe people become luke-warm because of the "noise" in our society. ADD/Phones/Facebook/Radio etc. Everything is instant gratification. Kids (adults now too) don't even hold conversations at a restaurant. How can they have the patience to sit through an hour of mass? How can you have a conversation, let alone relationship, with Christ?

Even if you don't believe in a judeo-christian God, spirituality is suffering a crisis. Even non religious meditation would be difficult. How can you achieve inner quiet and begin introspection when you can barely be quiet. You know how they say "turning off your phone before bed can help you with sleeplessness"? All that ***goes on subconsciously in the BG. We as a society are becoming awful people. I wouldn't want a relationship with a girl that just buried her nose in her phone everytime i wanted to have a conversation. God is infinitely more patient than I am, but how is he going to nurture a 1-way relationship?

I'm sincerely hopeful for our new pope. I'm hoping his "Franciscan" (back to nature) ways foster an attitude of bettering relationships with each other. I also hope the "can't be even out of my home without full attention on electronics" *** ends (religion or not). When was the last time you talked to a freshly 20-something? They squirm. They can't look you in the eye.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents on topic since i got mired down in this thread anyhow :x
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 10:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean sure I like *** but I'm not that big on chicken wings and Bud Light.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 10:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

A conversation that doesn't involve lol or emoticons never!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-01-31 10:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

lol D:
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 10:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Going to put on my old man mentality. I agree with Ash that Facebook etc has made conversations trivial to the point of boring. People used to actually listen and respond. Now it is just talking to hear themselves. The art of conversation is severely lacking. If you come away from a conversation and think. "What the hell was that". You know what I'm talking about.
By fonewear 2014-01-31 10:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

My biggest pet peeve is lack of curiosity. I don't care if you are smart or not so smart. At least attempt to try to learn something new. Then you will have more things to talk about.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 11:05:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Wrong. Not believing in something could even be never having heard of it. Someone who has never heard of Taoism doesn't "believe it's not true", they have no belief. Again, this has been explained to you over and over with dictionary definitions and visual aids.

Drop it, you're antagonizing and taunting people the same why you cry to mods about when people do it to you.

Actually no I won't drop it. You ask to drop it because you know you are defending a wrong point for no reason. I said already that not ever hearing of something is the only absence of belief because its ignorance of the subject. But once the concept is introduced you either believe it is true or you believe it is not true. This is not difficult man. Even the geniuses that you associate with that do not contemplate it have heard of God, and they either believe in God or believe there is no God.

Edit: Sheesh. Stop being stubborn.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-01-31 11:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

What an irrelevant argument.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-01-31 11:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
When was the last time you talked to a freshly 20-something? They squirm. They can't look you in the eye.
I see your point, and it's not completely wrong, but making it a general thing is wrong;

I talk to people in their early twenty, late teens, early thirty, late twenty and early forty on a regular basis. This isn't based on age, it's based on the person's habits and overall respect.

The only people I see buried in their phones are usually the early thirty and late teens. I have met I don't how many people whether they are in their twenty or thirty that either don't have a phone at all, or have a *** Nokia 3310 because they don't give a ***and it's for emergencies/convenience.

In my opinion, if you meet a large amount of people buried in their phones and these are the usual people around you, then you need to pick your acquaintances better.

My phone is literally an alarm clock for me, and somewhat of a notepad whenever I take a plane for my reservation ticket. I've met several people in the same situation.
I wouldn't even pay attention to a girl that is used to be on Facebook on her phone. It's a big red sign for me.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-31 11:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Wrong. Not believing in something could even be never having heard of it. Someone who has never heard of Taoism doesn't "believe it's not true", they have no belief. Again, this has been explained to you over and over with dictionary definitions and visual aids.

Drop it, you're antagonizing and taunting people the same why you cry to mods about when people do it to you.

Actually no I won't drop it. You ask to drop it because you know you are defending a wrong point for no reason. I said already that not ever hearing of something is the only absence of belief because its ignorance of the subject. But once the concept is introduced you either believe it is true or you believe it is not true. This is not difficult man. Even the geniuses that you associate with that do not contemplate it have heard of God, and they either believe in God or believe there is no God.

Again misuse of language simply to retain a future talking point. When presented with a subject, you can choose not to acknowledge the choice or choose not to pass judgement. Just because you don't see any alternative doesn't make it so.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-01-31 11:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Please note that I posted this in the "Politics and Religion" topic, so please no hateful or anti religion remarks or flame-wars.

This post is for my fellow Christians, but I welcome all who are not, but do have a genuine interest in Jesus Christ and his teachings.

I spent many years being a lukewarm Christian after I first accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior, and in the last year or so I have devoted myself to him and my life has changed for the better in ways I never imagined possible. and today in my studies I came across some informative websites that touched on some issues that have bothered me for some time now.

Here is the info from those websites.

Bible Verses about lukewarm Christians:

Another thing that seems to be left out these days is the teaching of what repentance is. Is asking for forgiveness without repenting really meaningful? To truly mean it is to repent from that sin, to repent is to turn away from it, not because of the consequences but because of a genuine disdain for sin. To repent and then turn back to the same sin again is like a dog eating its own vomit just to become sick all over again...
This was the main topic, lol...
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-01-31 11:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Point was to share some things to help further that already existing relationship for those that have it. Not meant to start a debate.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-01-31 11:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

When I don't have a point to convey, I'll just accuse the opposing thought of misusing the English language just to simply retain a future talking point.

Brilliant Jassik! That way, you say nothing important and still give that perception of intelligence. Why didn't I think of that?
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-01-31 11:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
I believe people become luke-warm because of the "noise" in our society. ADD/Phones/Facebook/Radio etc. Everything is instant gratification. Kids (adults now too) don't even hold conversations at a restaurant. How can they have the patience to sit through an hour of mass? How can you have a conversation, let alone relationship, with Christ?

Even if you don't believe in a judeo-christian God, spirituality is suffering a crisis. Even non religious meditation would be difficult. How can you achieve inner quiet and begin introspection when you can barely be quiet. You know how they say "turning off your phone before bed can help you with sleeplessness"? All that ***goes on subconsciously in the BG. We as a society are becoming awful people. I wouldn't want a relationship with a girl that just buried her nose in her phone everytime i wanted to have a conversation. God is infinitely more patient than I am, but how is he going to nurture a 1-way relationship?

I'm sincerely hopeful for our new pope. I'm hoping his "Franciscan" (back to nature) ways foster an attitude of bettering relationships with each other. I also hope the "can't be even out of my home without full attention on electronics" *** ends (religion or not). When was the last time you talked to a freshly 20-something? They squirm. They can't look you in the eye.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents on topic since i got mired down in this thread anyhow :x

/cringe

Yeah...Sometimes I wonder if, with a portion of people, their secularism is more a superficially embraced fad (NOT ALL PEOPLE) because they lack the diligence or ambition to at least try to understand religion in its entirety. I think everyone who continuously makes the effort to learn, and doesn't regard their faith, or lack their of, as the eternal *** measuring contest is worth their weight in gold.

Then again, there are legitimate atheists, who sincerely have their internal quibbles from time to time that leads them to their ultimate conclusion, and we can't dismiss their trials. Everyone's path is their own.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 11:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
What an irrelevant argument.

You could say the same thing about anything not just politics and religion.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-31 11:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
When I don't have a point to convey, I'll just accuse the opposing thought of misusing the English language just to simply retain a future talking point.

Brilliant Jassik! That way, you say nothing important and still give that perception of intelligence. Why didn't I think of that?

It's a very important distinction, not an accusation or distraction. If there wasn't a future talking point, why can't it be rephrased if they "mean the same thing"? It's dishonest and cheapens the faith of the people who have it. If you want to have a relationship with god in any form, why would you need to paint non-believers in any light? Isn't it supposed to be about YOUR relationship with god?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-01-31 11:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Point was to share some things to help further that already existing relationship for those that have it. Not meant to start a debate.

From the OP, it seems you look down your nose at fair-weather Christians, those who may practice in the privacy of their own home, or those who pick from the buffet of all religions.

Not your place to judge. Your interpretation of God may be perceived as "lukewarm" by others.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 11:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Just think this could have been an argument about whether XI or XIV is better. I would consider that irrelevant.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 11:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Again misuse of language simply to retain a future talking point. When presented with a subject, you can choose not to acknowledge the choice or choose not to pass judgement. Just because you don't see any alternative doesn't make it so.

No Jassik. Your only alternative is to ignore you ever heard of a subject and try to erase it from your memory? That's crazy talk. But since you brought it up tell me this. Someone that declares themself an atheist, are they ignoring a concept of a God. No. They are acknowledging that people believe in a God and that they believe the God is not real. Stop being a fool.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-31 11:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

No Jassik. Your only alternative is to ignore you ever heard of a subject and try to erase it from your memory? That's crazy talk. But since you brought it up tell me this. Someone that declares themself an atheist, are they ignoring a concept of a God. No. They are acknowledging that people believe in a God and that they believe the God is not real. Stop being a fool.

This is your fallacy, bubba. Why could it not be worded "they don't believe god is real"? You're far too transparent.
By fonewear 2014-01-31 11:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Religion is personal yes on one level. However discussing it with other people is not necessarily a bad thing. It is as if the discussion of God or Jesus brings out the worst in people.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-01-31 11:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Yeah...Sometimes I wonder if, with a portion of people, their secularism is more a superficially embraced fad (NOT ALL PEOPLE) because they lack the diligence or ambition to at least try to understand religion in its entirety.

I would chalk it up more to a lack of necessity. modern america is so decadent & living is so easy, that's it become the norm to ignore death in it's entirety. when you stop thinking about death, you truly stop thinking about life. it's all swept under the rug. feeling old? facing morality? *** that, eat this *** pill & chase your poor ancient wife around the house all day, & if that doesn't work, here's 300 TV channels, some welbutrin, & and a costco to buy whatever food your mind can conjure up, for a low price. that'll keep ya busy. just don't think, for the love of god.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-01-31 11:38:17
Link | Quote | Reply

God or Jesus brings out the worst in people.

seems strange doesn't it?

poor guy must be rolling in his grave.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 19 20 21