Forum » FFXIV » General » PS3 shuts off by itself when playing FFXIV
PS3 shuts off by itself when playing FFXIV
 Bismarck.Lizk
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: alucar
By Bismarck.Lizk 2013-10-13 14:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone have this problem? My ps3 just last like 5-10min on and then shuts off, no read light or something. I have to unplug and plug the power cable everytime this happens.

This just happes with FFXIV, I have tried more games and everything seems ok with them.

And nope, is not overheat, I just cleaned it yesterday and was not even that bad.
VIP
By Kalila 2013-10-13 17:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Not for me.
 Odin.Hirokei
Server: Odin
user: Kaisuko
By Odin.Hirokei 2013-10-13 18:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't matter if it's cleaned or not, it can still overheat, and that's what it sounds like, imo.

Edit: If it's a "fat" ps3, then I'd be even more inclined to say it's an over heating problem.
By Jetackuu 2013-10-13 19:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

what's a "read light" ?

and sounds like overheating, add a couple of fans.
 Deg
By Deg 2013-10-14 04:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

XIV Overheats my PS3 now and then. It seems to be a stressful game for it. I have an old style model.
 Fenrir.Boomslang
Server: Fenrir
user: neoyukio
By Fenrir.Boomslang 2013-10-14 08:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Look for a guide on reapplying thermal paste to your board. Even with PCs, thermal paste breakdown happens after a few years. There are a lot of resources online about how to resolve an overheating issue with the PS3 based on all of the models, a quick google search will get you everything you need to know.

You risk permanent damage every time you let it force itself off. Though if you're determined it's not, back your saves up and reformat/restore. If it still happens after factory reset it's overheating.

I recommend ordering some Arctic Silver, there are two schools of high performance thermal paste in the overclocking world right now, one is silver compound the other is ceramic based. I have always found the silver compound to perform better and last longer, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: After a quick search I found a site with a bunch of good info.
Here
And to contradict myself the guide recommends this:
"Personally I went with the IC Diamond 7 (IC7) thermal compound. It is comprised of 92% micronized diamonds. Diamond is one of the best thermal compounds out there, and supposedly has 5 times better thermal conductivity as silver. It's cure time is only about 2 hours, and it costs about the same as AS5." [AS5 being arctic silver]
 Lakshmi.Cledant
Server: Lakshmi
user: Latifah
By Lakshmi.Cledant 2013-10-14 08:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

ff14 takes a lot of power from the cpu, might be over heating a lot even if you removed dust from the console, you might need to re-apply thermal paste to the cpu, just follow the previous post above mine^^
 Phoenix.Dankstar
Server: Phoenix
user: Darke666
By Phoenix.Dankstar 2013-10-14 11:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

when my ps3 did this I took it in and was told it was same thing as ring of death for xbox 360 ; ;
 Bismarck.Lizk
By Bismarck.Lizk 2013-10-14 11:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Nvm guys
I just installed the game again and haven't seen the problem again after playing for some hours.
I don't really have an idea of why whas this happening but thanks for the tips.
 Bismarck.Lizk
By Bismarck.Lizk 2013-10-14 11:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and about the paste this is my second ps3 and doesn't even have a year :X so I don't really think that was the problem. The first one died for that reason btw.

And is a slim model.