Forum » FFXIV » General » Computer Advice - ARR
Computer Advice - ARR
 Fenrir.Soothsayer
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Darcc
By Fenrir.Soothsayer 2013-09-03 00:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Could anyone please tell me if these specs will run 14 on mid settings at hopefully 30 fps? I really wanna know before I go spend my money, get the computer shipped, and then end up returning it.
Any help would be amazing.

Specifications

Operating SystemGenuine Windows 8
CPUIntel® Core™ i5-4570
ChipsetIntel® H87
GraphicNvidia GTX650 1GB DDR5
Memory8GB at 1600MHz 4 x DIMM
Storage 1TB SATA hard drive (7200rpmRPM)
Optical Drive24X DVD-RW Drive
Wireless Data Network None
LAN10/100/1000Mbps
AudioHigh Definition Audio 8-channel CODECFront I/O Ports1 x 16-in-1 Card Reader1 x Headphone1 x Microphone2x USB 2.02x USB 3.0Back I/O Ports1 x RJ45 LAN(10/100/1000)1 x 8 channel Audio I/O1 x HDMI-Out1 x VGA-Out1 x DVI-D2 x USB 3.04 x USB 2.01 x P/S21 x Display Port1 x SPDIF-OutPower Supply300 W/350W Power adaptorDimensions9.5” x 20” x 21.7” (WxHxD)Weight25.3 lbsAccessoriesKeyboard Mouse Warranty CardPower CordQuick Manual
 Bismarck.Aerison
Server: Bismarck
user: Aerison
By Bismarck.Aerison 2013-09-03 00:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

dat PSU
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2013-09-03 00:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

second the needs more psu..... i would be shocked if it even powered on
 Fenrir.Soothsayer
By Fenrir.Soothsayer 2013-09-03 00:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So what kind of PSU should I be looking for? Basically with everything listed above, only the PSU is the issue with what I'm looking for?
 Fenrir.Soothsayer
By Fenrir.Soothsayer 2013-09-03 00:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I mentioned in the other post, if you could just maybe point me in the right direction of a decent computer that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or what specs I should look for specifically?
 Bismarck.Aerison
Server: Bismarck
user: Aerison
By Bismarck.Aerison 2013-09-03 01:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I would never use a psu under 650ish if I'm running a separate gpu

Didn't see a mobo posted there either

Also look into an aftermarket cpu cooler in case you ever want to mild overclock

Edit: and price range would be important to know!
 Fenrir.Soothsayer
By Fenrir.Soothsayer 2013-09-03 01:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

oh sorry, price range is $800~ ish, if its not feasible then I may not be playing 14 lol.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-09-03 02:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

where is this pc coming from? if you don't mind me asking.

but yea dat psu lol, a GTX 650 will run the game, but not at great fps and possibly even some low settings.

also, you could build your own for 800 that will run 14 much better than that. (if you need help picking parts, just pm me)
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-09-03 02:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

found some systems, frys is so overpriced it wasn't even funny, idk why anyone would shop there after just a simple browse >.>;

here are a couple options you could do for some premades; (i still think building your own would be the best way to go)
Option#1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258023

This one is very similar to the one you found, except it's an AMD but with a better PSU, essentially you could play right away, but a GTX 650 isn't that great of a GPU in general and you would probably want to upgrade the GPU in the future.

the AMD FX 8350 is AMD's top of the line atm (at least as far as i know atm; edit- i stand corrected, AMD just released their 5.0ghz cpu but it's like 800$ so just gonna ignore that for this point) This thing is a beast, don't write it off just because it says AMD lol. and it even passes some of intel chips in benchmarks. so there you have it.

Option#2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258050

This one i personally recommend if you absolutely do not want to mess with building or changing out any parts, outside of an aftermarket heatsink this bad boy is pretty much ready to go and will last you 3-5years easily (tech wise)

a GTX 760 is a really great card atm, and it has the same cpu as stated above, really solid gaming machine (still overpriced imo, but not that much)

Option#3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258013

This is very similar to option#1 except it's an intel chip, if you really MUST have an intel processor. Worth the price tbh, read the reviews as well, this thing comes with all name brand parts and not cheaper budget parts, the cpu is really solid, and OC;able the only thing i would recommend doing here is upgrading the gpu eventually down the road.

all 3 options are able to play the game at purchase; unfortunately i could not recommend anything under a 700$ pricepoint without doing a custom build.
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2013-09-03 02:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I made this budget PC it's $40 more than your budget but it's more future proof, and you could always add more upgrades:
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-09-03 02:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

dafuq at that processor....

would be better for him to drop to a middle tier mobo/processor and use the funds on a better gpu >.>;
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2013-09-03 02:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV is much more CPU intensive based on the benchmark, Also this one is cheapest I7 CPU, I think it justifies the difference between an I5 and I7. GPU could always be upgraded or add additional ones.
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2013-09-03 03:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

This link might be helpful in reaching a decision Your text to link here...
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-09-03 03:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru said: »
FFXIV is much more CPU intensive based on the benchmark, Also this one is cheapest I7 CPU, I think it justifies the difference between an I5 and I7. GPU could always be upgraded or add additional ones.

i would gladly take an unlocked i5 over that ***anyday lol.

also; most mmo's are more cpu intensive than graphics atm, but you should still shoot for more graphics as the direct x 11 change is just around the corner ( and by corner i mean next year D:)

edit- not to mention their benchmark isn't that great in the first place lol.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-09-03 03:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

came up with what i think is a pretty solid budget build that will run 14 on maximum 60fps+ no troubles.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/misterryu/saved/2jkk

could use a cpu cooler, an SSD, and some other love,(fans = MOAR).

but sometimes you just have to stick to your budget lol.

edit-

I'll go over how i came up with this a little bit,

CPU- solid, but not the best, more than enough for gaming though, and cheap to boot. (and OC-able)

HDD- cheap, works

PSU- Cheap, but quality cheap, and it works

RAM - Cheap, But quality cheap, and it works

Case - Cheap, and almost the bare minimum of what you can get in one, but it works, and i love love love corsair cases, yes even their cheaper ones <3

Mobo - You honestly don't need all the bells and whistles of a higher end $200+ board, this will do everything you need it to do and last till you decide to upgrade; years from now hopefully.

GPU - In Top 10 graphics cards out right meow; picked a dual fan cooler; EVGA quality, not much else to be said here. most future proof part of the build.

CD Drive - cheap and it works.
 Fenrir.Soothsayer
By Fenrir.Soothsayer 2013-09-03 09:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Man thanks for all the replies, I'm still at a loss as building a pc isn't really gonna work for me as I have no idea what I'd be doing lol. I really just wanted a solid PC that would be able to play right away and not crap out on me. Some of the already built pc options listed above look good so I'll check that out. And ya I was shopping at frys lol... they really are overpriced. If I order from newegg what kind of wait should I expect?
By daddyrabbit4444 2013-09-03 11:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

screw all this pc crap just go get a ps3 for 229 bucks at walmart, it runs perfect for me on 50inch HD screen, and im getting 1080i, could not be happier, comps are for email checking and peniss play that's about it lol
By daddyrabbit4444 2013-09-03 11:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

oh wait soothsayer your on fenir right? I remember that name, my name was lordkhan!
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2013-09-03 11:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Good luck on your choice, just pick up something that is upgradable in the future :)
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2013-09-03 11:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Soothsayer said: »
Man thanks for all the replies, I'm still at a loss as building a pc isn't really gonna work for me as I have no idea what I'd be doing lol. I really just wanted a solid PC that would be able to play right away and not crap out on me. Some of the already built pc options listed above look good so I'll check that out. And ya I was shopping at frys lol... they really are overpriced. If I order from newegg what kind of wait should I expect?

If you are doing it from scratch (no existing hardware at all)

-Case (Note3)
-Power Supply Unit (Note6)
-Motherboard (Note1) (Note2) (Note3)
-Processor (Note1) (Note4) (Note6)
-Random Access Memory (Note2)
-Storage, either Hard Disk or Solid State
-Optical Drive, CD/DVD
-Discrete Graphics Card (Note5) (Note6)
-Keyboard
-Mouse
-Monitor (Note5)
-Cabling (Note7)
Note1 - Pay attention to socket type (e.g. LGA775). Motherboard/Processor need to match.
Note2 - Pay attention to RAM type, particularly pin count. Most motherboard manufacturers have approved RAM part numbers.
Note3 - Pay attention to form factor (e.g. ATX, miniATX, microATX). Make sure to get a case large enough for your chosen motherboard.
Note4 - Most processors come with a stock heatsink. This is by far and away sufficient for most users/environments.
Note5 - Output of the graphics card can impact monitor/cabling, if it is VGA/DVI/HDMI/whatever the latest fad is. Make sure it matches.
Note6 - Graphics card and processor drive the power budget for most users. Unless you are getting some beefcake of a processor and graphics card, 500W high-efficiency (80%+) power supplies should suffice. Under-specification of this will cause system instability, or simply not booting.
Note7 - Depending on what/how you buy, you may not have *all* the cabling needed included with them; however this is usually not the case. Local stores can cover most of these last-minute items if necessary.

There have been a few of these threads over the past couple of months, so you can take a look.

If you order from newegg, you will probably get your components before the 1017 errors are resolved.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2013-09-03 11:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a rather nice site.
[+]
 Phoenix.Lagian
Server: Phoenix
user: Lagian
By Phoenix.Lagian 2013-09-03 12:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I did this build pretty quick, so I didn't really check compatibility on some of the parts.

Just a super quick put together. This build's weak point is HDD, no question. I'm not a huge fan of AMD processors, but the 8350 will do for this. The GTX 760 is also a pretty solid card. More VRAM than the 650 from the other builds. Ample power for it all, a solid motherboard. The case and the HDD were a combo bundle so the case is on the low end of things, but it's not bad.

If $825 is too much, with this build you could back the GTX760 down to a 650, but I figured why sell yourself short for the future. Can add a Water Cooler if you dropped the GPU down so you can do some OC's on the processor.

Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2013-09-03 15:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said: »
screw all this pc crap just go get a ps3 for 229 bucks at walmart, it runs perfect for me on 50inch HD screen, and im getting 1080i, could not be happier, comps are for email checking and peniss play that's about it lol
1080i on XIV on a PS3? Nope. You're not. Only supports 720p bro. Like 99% of all PS3 games.
[+]
By daddyrabbit4444 2013-09-03 17:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

still looks wonderful
Server: Sargatanas
Game: FFXIV
user: Ravant
By Ravant Lehnsherr 2013-09-18 06:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So I'm looking to upgrade my GPU from a EVGA GeForce GTX 560 to something a better.

I'm pretty PC literate but I'm not sure what the difference between Ti cards vs none Ti cards are or why some lower Ti cards are priced the same as higher non Ti cards. Here's a couple I was looking at. Can anyone help me shed some light on which would be better?

EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti

EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Suplerclocked Video Card

Any other card suggestions are welcome as long as it's not a Titan >.>
Looking to spend no more than $400 preferably ~$250-$300 range.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2013-09-18 07:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Videocard Benchmarks
Looks like the GTX 760 is just a little higher in performance. Both the 760 and the 660 Ti appear to have the same power requirements.
[+]
Server: Sargatanas
Game: FFXIV
user: Ravant
By Ravant Lehnsherr 2013-09-18 07:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Videocard Benchmarks
Looks like the GTX 760 is just a little higher in performance. Both the 760 and the 660 Ti appear to have the same power requirements.

Oh wow, awesome link! Thanks