Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » September 3rd/4th update and you
September 3rd/4th update and you
By Quiznor 2013-09-02 18:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously this is a big issue with everyone that is/wants to play XIV and also a big issue for SE regardless. So we all know the new update is coming in to try fix alot of the server problems,including opening new servers also tomorrow. What is everyone's thoughts/plans on the entire thing and how it affects you and your experience with XIV now and after,both if the servers are fixed and if they arent.

A few quick facts about the servers and the update first.

[Date & Time]
From Sep. 4, 2013 00:00 to Sep. 4, 2013 10:00 (GMT)
* The completion time may be subject to change.

Currently there are 25 JP servers (in japan) and 25 NA/EU servers (in NA).Each server is able to handle 5000 people logged in at the same time when everything is working perfectly. Right now SE have artifically placed a severe cap (their words) on the amount of people that actually CAN log in at once for server stability reasons with how the lobby/duty finder server interacts with the world servers. They have also said the maximum amount of characters that can be created per server is several times that of what can be logged in at once,so lets assume 20-25k for arguements sake.

They have implied with their wording that the lobby/duty finder server are one and the same,but havent confirmed or denied it.

AND WE ARE NOT HERE TO DEBATE AUTO AFK KICK TIMER (although feel free to mention if you're in favour of it or not if you wish,that's all)

Now,let's not jump down each other's throats with "omg fanboy!","worst company ever!" and "expecting a perfect launch? lolololol" so take that stuff,and kindly kill yourselves with it.

Personally if tomorrow (or concurrent emergency maint) doesnt fix the server issues,mainly affecting the login cap and the lobby server (looking at you,unable to load NA/EU list) I will most likely wait a month or two before I start playing properly. I have 3 RL friends who can not only get onto my server atm,but they cant even create a character anywhere to test out the game,mechanics,performance,etc and because of the majority of my fault,they are all out various amounts of money.

Which is a big shame,because I'm extremely enjoying almost every aspect of the game.

EDIT:

I also found this from an interview with Yoshi-P from PAX.

Quote:
One of the main culprits of server congestion and instability has to do with the game’s Duty Finder tool. This tool allows players to find players for group content game-wide, at the moment. But it’s this very aspect of the tool that has been causing many of the issues players are experiencing, loading the world servers such that they can’t accept additional logins or new character creations without risking detrimental effect to the server as a whole. As part of the server work going on this week, Square Enix will be breaking up servers into groups for the purposes of the Duty Finder, think World of Warcraft’s Battlegroups, for example. Once this is implemented, Mr. Yoshida tells us that world servers should be much less taxed and this will both allow for upgrades in the server concurrent user cap (so more players can login at once) and also ease restrictions on character creation.

I'm not familiar with WoW so could someone explain the battlegroups thing for me? It sounds like "world 1/2/3/4/5 can duty find with each other" "world 6/7/8/9/10 can with each other" and so forth? Thoughts on this also? It seems like this might mean they can bring the population cap above 5k per server (maybe) if they do it this way,essentially possibly replacing some of the other people you're losing from the duty finder being restricted.

And this isnt a whine thread >_>
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-09-02 18:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't expect this all to go down tomorrow/Wednesday without a problem. Would love to be proven wrong, but I expect at least another day of delicious crying tantrums once maintenance finishes up.

Quiznor said: »
I'm not familiar with WoW so could someone explain the battlegroups thing for me? It sounds like "world 1/2/3/4/5 can duty find with each other" "world 6/7/8/9/10 can with each other" and so forth? Thoughts on this also? It seems like this might mean they can bring the population cap above 5k per server (maybe) if they do it this way,essentially possibly replacing some of the other people you're losing from the duty finder being restricted.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it worked. Servers were grouped together and you'd only participate in battlegrounds and instances with other characters within the group. Kinda wonder why they didn't do it this way in the first place, but oh well. /shrug
[+]
 Shiva.Shinsonja
Server: Shiva
user: Shinsonja
By Shiva.Shinsonja 2013-09-02 23:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm so each server only handles 5k people logged in at a time, they could always use the redundant ffxi servers (^_-) hehe, guess we all play the waiting game in the meantime, all i can say is im glad i work on weekends as i just cannot log in then.

By Lillica 2013-09-03 02:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I am really hoping this fixes things, the little lady has not only been unable to make a character yet, she is still unable to even buy the game itself.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2013-09-03 12:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

What worries me is that SE considers NA/EU servers as the same thing. While in fact It's 25 JP servers, 19 NA servers and only 6 EU servers. a country a size of japan has 25 servers. While North america 19 and whole of EU 6 servers.

Also almost all non-JP/NA countries in the world will pick EU servers. It's just not about the wrong anticipation they had, it's stupidity and lack of research.

I just hope their fix will be by adding more EU servers to balance things out.
 Carbuncle.Ceruleanknight
Server: Carbuncle
user: Ideki
By Carbuncle.Ceruleanknight 2013-09-03 12:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

AND WE ARE NOT HERE TO DEBATE AUTO AFK KICK TIMER[/b] (although feel free to mention if you're in favour of it or not if you wish,that's all)

Well I think this should have been put in place for the first few weeks at least, because with these connexion problems everyone encounter, I think its kind of outrageous that some ppl allow themselves to afk for hours/days, when alot of ppl cannot enjoy the content because of said problems.

Ragnarok.Vitaru said: »
What worries me is that SE considers NA/EU servers as the same thing. While in fact It's 25 JP servers, 19 NA servers and only 6 EU servers. a country a size of japan has 25 servers. While North america 19 and whole of EU 6 servers.

Also almost all non-JP/NA countries in the world will pick EU servers. It's just not about the wrong anticipation they had, it's stupidity and lack of research.

I just hope their fix will be by adding more EU servers to balance things out.

Also this ^
 Bismarck.Tragedie
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2013-09-03 14:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's difficult to speculate what's going to happen following the server maintenance. All problems fixed? Login restrictions eased, but duty finder is borked? A period of time where an emergency maintenance hits every other day? I mean they're definitely siding towards making sure those who are able to get logged in are having a good playing experience (besides not being able to play with friends at times - or at all if characters weren't made on the same server in time).

Whether to wait or not? Besides the immediate login/character creation issue they're addressing (which hopefully provides a good resolution), I think you that chance of "this thing broke, emergency maintenance incoming" for the next few months while this and other potential issues get ironed out.

If you have other stuff to play/do/whatever, you won't fall behind if you wait a month or two; you'll still be able to rush to end-game if that's your thing, or take your time doing the content at your own pace. I haven't really looked at the economy (Market Boards) yet, but any game economy takes a while to get started.

I think the main factor is whether or not you have patience for FFMXVII* or not (in the event that the maintenance doesn't fix the issues).

* Final Fantasy 1017
By Quiznor 2013-09-03 19:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tragedie said: »
I think it's difficult to speculate what's going to happen following the server maintenance. All problems fixed? Login restrictions eased, but duty finder is borked? A period of time where an emergency maintenance hits every other day? I mean they're definitely siding towards making sure those who are able to get logged in are having a good playing experience (besides not being able to play with friends at times - or at all if characters weren't made on the same server in time).

Whether to wait or not? Besides the immediate login/character creation issue they're addressing (which hopefully provides a good resolution), I think you that chance of "this thing broke, emergency maintenance incoming" for the next few months while this and other potential issues get ironed out.

If you have other stuff to play/do/whatever, you won't fall behind if you wait a month or two; you'll still be able to rush to end-game if that's your thing, or take your time doing the content at your own pace. I haven't really looked at the economy (Market Boards) yet, but any game economy takes a while to get started.

I think the main factor is whether or not you have patience for FFMXVII* or not (in the event that the maintenance doesn't fix the issues).

* Final Fantasy 1017

Currently my main issues are

(primary)that I really enjoy the game,but cant play it very often because of the errors and restrictions

(secondary) I have 3 RL friends that bought the game because of me and they cant play at all,let alone on my server atm. I know this will hopefully change tonight/soon,but it's still a bit of a pain.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-09-03 19:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

AND WE ARE NOT HERE TO DEBATE AUTO AFK KICK TIMER (although feel free to mention if you're in favour of it or not if you wish,that's all)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Needs to be done, stupid people staying logged on afk so others can't play, but that'a all I'm gonna say about that.

Either way, it's a launch. I'm sad I can't play as much as I like, but at least they're TRYING to fix the problems and giving us free playtime to make up for it.

And 25 JP servers and 25 for everyone else. I think they went with their FF13 sales numbers on how many servers to make. >.>
 Siren.Knivesz
Server: Siren
By Siren.Knivesz 2013-09-03 19:38:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »
And 25 JP servers and 25 for everyone else

I don't know why people find this so surprising. Final Fantasy brand is nowhere near as popular in NA as it is in Japan.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-09-03 20:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets see if SE can keep these numbers 6 months out.
By daddyrabbit4444 2013-09-03 21:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder what severs the billion Chinese gil farmers will be on? NA/EU or Japanese?
 Lakshmi.Khronic
Server: Lakshmi
user: Garasu
By Lakshmi.Khronic 2013-09-04 00:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

When are the servers coming back up?
 Leviathan.Mexicanknight
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Mexicanknight 2013-09-04 01:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Khronic said: »

In about 4~6 hours? I say 4 cuz they schedule that to be the deatline to finish the update but SE changes times so it probably will go up another time..
VIP
By Kalila 2013-09-04 01:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Khronic said: »
Begins:
Sep 03, 2013 17:00 PDT
Ends:
Sep 04, 2013 03:00 PDT
Automatically converted to your timezone

._.; check the official maintenance threads if you want to know the times for something.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kengo
Server: Cerberus
user: Kengosama
By Cerberus.Kengo 2013-09-04 03:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Knivesz said: »

I don't know why people find this so surprising. Final Fantasy brand is nowhere near as popular in NA as it is in Japan.

That's debatable.

Final Fantasy does extremely well outside of Japan. If you want to talk about something that destroys it, look at Dragon Quest. Next to Pro Evolution Soccer, the series has printing money power, but only in Japan. It's why we'll never see Dragon Quest 10 outside of Japan, it has no market elsewhere in the world.

I'm pretty sure if Square-Enix didn't think FFXIV would do well outside of Japan, they wouldn't have bothered. So, I would argue that Final Fantasy is more popular outside of Japan in comparison to properties like Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, PES etc. for example.
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-09-04 04:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

3 new servers seems like a bit of a dumb move D: i would have expected 5 at least
By Antaress 2013-09-04 05:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kengo said: »

the thing is, NA servers shelter not only NA, but also pretty much the rest of the world. few non-jp exceptions would willingly pick a JP server given the choice.
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-09-04 05:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Antaress said: »

the thing is, NA servers shelter not only NA, but also pretty much the rest of the world. few non-jp exceptions would willingly pick a JP server given the choice.
Im on a JP server There is no stupid shout *** all the time like i see on my wifes NA server lol
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2013-09-04 06:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xzeikx said: »
Antaress said: »

Im on a JP server There is no stupid shout *** all the time like i see on my wifes NA server lol

Dude are there many non JP in your server, thinking of picking a JP one :S
By Lillica 2013-09-04 12:46:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Just got home to see that digital download sales and PC hard copies sales are still unavailable. Not that it would matter because even if my GF could buy the game they have already restricted character creation on:

Typhon
Ridill
Kujata
Valefor
Durandal
Hades
Ultima
Aegis
Gungnir
Alexander
Anima
Ixion
Titan
Atomos
Tiamat
Masamune
Fenrir
Garuda
Ifrit
Ramuh
Carbuncle
Excalibur
Ragnarok
Ultros
Cactuar
Hyperion

So basically if she ever manages to buy a copy I am already looking at having to transfer servers to be able to play with her. Terrible!

They should allow us to freely move to a less populated server until they sort their ***out if such is the case.
 Sylph.Orco
Server: Sylph
user: Orco
By Sylph.Orco 2013-09-04 14:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there going to be a day when people are going to be able to BUY the game? So I too can be frustrated at not being able to get in?
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2013-09-04 14:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I know hindsight is 20/20, but next time SE launches a major MMO, they need to take a restaurant-seating approach to server allocation.

Oh, and I think they need to narrow the margin between how many characters can exist on a server, and how many people can be logged in at one time. With such a wide margin as it currently is, the game was destined to be flooded upon launch.
By Quiznor 2013-09-04 16:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been asleep all day. I was logged in for a few hours directly after maint,so how is the update?

Edit: i logged out when going to bed,im not an afker!

Edit 2: I made it in 1/1 shortly after the first edit. Was 2nd in queue and only took a few seconds.
By Mesic 2013-09-05 01:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lillica said: »
Just got home to see that digital download sales and PC hard copies sales are still unavailable. Not that it would matter because even if my GF could buy the game they have already restricted character creation on:

Typhon
Ridill
Kujata
Valefor
Durandal
Hades
Ultima
Aegis
Gungnir
Alexander
Anima
Ixion
Titan
Atomos
Tiamat
Masamune
Fenrir
Garuda
Ifrit
Ramuh
Carbuncle
Excalibur
Ragnarok
Ultros
Cactuar
Hyperion

So basically if she ever manages to buy a copy I am already looking at having to transfer servers to be able to play with her. Terrible!

They should allow us to freely move to a less populated server until they sort their ***out if such is the case.

And if she has my luck when she gets the copy the promo code wont work.