users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » PS3 version includes free PC download
PS3 version includes free PC download
 Phoenix.Dinah
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Dinah 2013-08-19 10:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I know I have seen SOMEWHERE recently that the PS3 version of A Realm Reborn comes with a free PC download of the game. I was searching around today and I can't seem to find anything regarding this. Does anyone know more about this?

The official site states that you must purchase them seperately. I'm pretty certain I saw the free PC download with PS3 version in a letter from the producer, so I'm not sure if it was a mis-translation or not.

I know that I can always download the PC version from a mirror, but I like to avoid doing that if I can.
By Quiznor 2013-08-19 10:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure that is false.

You get a free PC download if you had 1.0 and that's about it as far as I know.
 Phoenix.Dinah
By Phoenix.Dinah 2013-08-19 13:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It's looking false to me as well. I just know that I got somewhat excited when reading that tidbit of information, and I'm not sure what kind of trick my mind was playing on me to make me think that I read that.
 Leviathan.Cocien
Server: Leviathan
user: Cocien
By Leviathan.Cocien 2013-08-19 14:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

More than likely all you need is an actual XIV account and you can play it on any medium. So say you buy the PS3 version and get your hands on a DL or disc of the XIV version....or maybe happened to dl the full release client that they used for beta 4 this weekend; then you're good to go. They're not selling the game per-say, more like the account.
 Phoenix.Dinah
By Phoenix.Dinah 2013-08-19 16:33:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, I always did this with the FFXI expansions. I'll buy the 360 disc and just find a download of the PC version. I'm just going crazy it seems.
 Bismarck.Zagen
Server: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-08-19 16:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Might have been something you read about beta testing. At least I as a PS3 tester was given access to PC version if I wanted to play on that as well during phase 3 and 4.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2013-08-19 20:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys, to play on a different platform this time you need a disc key.

If you never used a key on a SE account, it will create a new service account.

If you already have a service account (a registered copy of the game) and is trying to register another copy for a different platform you will be asked if you want to create another service account or if you want to give platform access to the existing one.

They already announced how this would work in 2010 when they announced they were working on the game for the PS3. So no, you won't be able to download FFXIV for Windows from a torrent to play if you have a PS3 copy. You will have to buy it again.
By Quiznor 2013-08-19 21:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah they're both seperate keys that can be added to the one account.

For example I have PC 1.0 key registered to my account. If I want to play on a ps3,I have to buy a ps3 copy and add the ps3 key to my account to allow ps3 access.

Same works vice versa.

@Mariane

Technically you -COULD- torrent the game,but it's pointless since you'd still have to buy a legit CD key,which is full price and would get you a copy of the game anyways from a legit source.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-20 00:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I assume unlike XI a CD key is only good for one go right?
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2013-08-20 18:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
I assume unlike XI a CD key is only good for one go right?

It's like XI actually. The key IS good for only one go.

Once you used the key, it's not usably anywhere else but on your own account.

Oh and I think since they moved to SE account system they no longer require you to re-input the key for making new char slots.

But back to FFXIV subject, now they segregate keys per platform meaning that the server won't allow you to log in your FXIV account with a PC if all you have is a PS3 service account. You will be requested that a PC disc key is added on your account to play.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-20 18:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

my friend let me use his copy of ffxi WoTG after he installed it and it worked for me >.> so. idk..
 Leviathan.Cocien
user: Cocien
By Leviathan.Cocien 2013-08-20 19:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I really, really don't think the key segregation is something we have to worry about.
No XI didn't have it, never did.
The key is for an account. No multiplatform mmo has used key segregation. IE that super hero mmo that's escaping me atm and EQ on the PS2....
I highly doubt SE would double-dip so-to-speak, not with coming off of the 1.0 launch.