Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » Setting up FFXIV controls to be like FFXI
Setting up FFXIV controls to be like FFXI
By TaruAgent777 2013-08-17 19:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello all~ I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have been trying the 14 beta and I am having a really difficult time setting up the controls and moving around in 14.

I have finally figured out how to get the camera and motions to work right in 14 so my character moves just like it did in 11(took like an hour of not wanting to throw my keyboard through the window.)
.......But I was wondering if anyone can give me a list on how to set up actions to match the (short keyboard) mapping of ffxi to ffxiv. I am having trouble targeting and locking on targets, trouble engaging enemies, even trouble getting into the chat box to type.... so many things are different!

I would rather not use a mouse on 14 if possible, and I have been playing ffxi so long, that a controller is very foreign to me and I have a difficult time with it as well.

This is not meant to start a flame war of why "controllers are SOoooooooooo much better etc, etc etc and that I'm an idiot for playing in this style" - I am just looking for some possible help from a nice person to see if I can get this keyboard as close as possible to my old playing style without too much difficulty. I know it won't be exact, but anything is better than nothing~~~ Thanks for your help anyone!
 Bahamut.Vladislav
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: burado
By Bahamut.Vladislav 2013-08-17 19:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea controls in 2.0 is horribe (at least to me) and seems nothing you can do here . Even in 1.0 controls was much better .
By TaruAgent777 2013-08-17 20:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

That makes me a sad taru ; ;
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2013-08-17 21:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

well its been a long time since Ive played 11 but obviously my fingers remember alot of things...lol...

whats really screwed me up is the movement and camera buttons.

I'm not a pc gamer and 11 is the only game I ever played on the pc until now..and Im used to using the numpad so those are my movement buttons..Ive got wsad now as my camera because I set the arrow keys as my selection button and Enter is Confirm (this drove me nuts!)

7 in 11 was apparently autorun because thats what my fingers keep doing but I've left R as the autorun in 14.

the - opens up my menus and esc still escapes out of things

what really helped I thought though was making the arrows as my selection keys..big help..

edit: also since I changed enter from being the chatlog to an actual enter button I set the / button to open the chat box. Because I usually type /linkshell or /p anyway...
By Anninais 2013-08-18 00:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

They actually aren't horrible, not when you figure them out. That and there are toggle options for your pallates and so on. It just takes exploring and using to get a good fit.

I don't use mouse and keyboard anymore on PC because its a lot more smooth. That and less steps on quest turn ins.
By TaruAgent777 2013-08-18 00:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you guys for your reply - After about 2 hours of fine tuning I was able to figure out a way to tab around NPCs.PCs, and Monsters (by using tab keys anf f-functions setup through the keybind menu) - I also adjusted the key bind from being (NUM0) for accept to (enter) - Setting hotkeys to Cntrl and Alt settings (like macors in ffxi) ----- that made things a WHOLE lot easier -

Yah it still works kinda wonky ---
(I hate the chat window and the fact it doesn't auto minimize) *bleh* --- out of habit I used to habitually hit the escape key in ffxi to clear everything.... and now in 14 it brings up the stupid system menu. <I have got to teach myself to stop doing that lol> -

Other than that, I think I am finally getting used to things now, but yah, they could have made things a little bit more user friendly and not so *ragequit* lol --- If anyone needs some help on the basic keys I have set let me know and I will see what I can do to help. I'm still not up to 100% efficiency yet though so have some patience with me ^^ - thanks again!
 Lakshmi.Khyal
Server: Lakshmi
user: kelman66
By Lakshmi.Khyal 2013-08-18 00:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having the same issues lol...

Stumbling around with controls but they definitely made the main stuff i didnt like a lot better.
And definitely a beautiful game.

Servers are jam-packed though lol
By Elynsyon 2013-08-18 10:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Guys,

stop being silly :D there's so much to adjust in the keybind menu.

-arrow keys can be assigned to camera or menu navigation
-numpad 2, 4, 6, 8 can be assigned to walking in different directions
- "-" can be assigned to lock on target
- tab for targeting monster, whether nearest to farest or farest to nearest. ( personally i did crtl+tab for targeting npcs, too)
-crtl+1 to 0(non-numpad) as well as alt+1 to 0(non-numpad) for hotbar 1 and 2 respectively
-aaannnnnddd most important enable direct chat

That's almost the same controls ffxi used, little fine-tuning here and there might help. Personally i do "+" for sheathing/unsheathing my weapon and assigning shortcuts to crtl+logical letter, like e.g. crtl+i for inventory and alt+r for reply tell. I couldn't be happier with the ffxiv controls, except more targeting options in the npc/object sector and most importantly /ignorepet on >.<"
[+]
 Bahamut.Sylveon
user: Crypto
By Bahamut.Sylveon 2013-08-21 06:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they should give people the option to assign whatever keys to what ever function they want.. i mean make it possible to choose same key for multiple actions depending on the dominating menu etc. i hate needing multiple button to target different targets and there are not enough buttons to assign Camera, movement, and cycling through menu option which is stupid...
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-08-21 09:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

We're talking about PC controls, right...?

- W/S/A/D are forward/backward/left/right. Q is forward left, E is forward Right.
- Mouse moved with left click will move camera angle only. Right click with mouse movement will move character with camera angle. Can change camera angle movement to the arrow keys I believe.
- You auto-engage a monster when you use a weapon skill. Mages do not however. If you want to auto-attack, either right click the target or open your keybind menu and edit Z so instead of drawing weapon, it'll start auto attack... Or drag Auto-Attack down from the Action and Traits menu down on the hotbar.
- F1 will target yourself. F2-8 will target party member 2-8. F9 will quick target your pet. F10 will target your Focus Target. You may set a focus target with Shift+F while targeting something. F11 will target nearest enemy. F12 nearest NPC.
- Shift + T will target an enemy currently attacking you.
- /action "Cure" <tt> will cast cure on the target's target. Meaning, if you are targeting an enemy which is attacking a player, using this macro while targeting the enemy will cure the player. Using this macro while targeting a player attacking a monster will not heal the monster. But it will still consume MP. (I use this macro mostly to cure Carbys in arcanist parties lol :x)
- F will make you face target.
- / on the NUM pad will toggle walk/run.
- 2 4 6 8 on the num pad will act as S A D W.
- 7 on the numpad will toggle First Person/Third Person.
- Pressing Enter opens the chat menu for me... You can also press / (not the one on the NUM pad) to open the chat menu with / already typed. Useful to wipe out text you were going to post in the chat box, but decided it was unneeded.

Fun fact - The pet hotbar everyone seems to hate due to you having to click on it...? Open keybind and go to Hotbars. Scroll down til you see Pet Hotbar. Set the shortcut to CTRL+ALT+1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/0/-/=. For my 50s the most hotbars I need are 3. So this shouldn't interfere with anything.

And here's shortcuts and such copy/pasted from BG
[+]
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2013-08-21 10:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

lol really I used a XBOX360 controller on FFXIV here and honestly it played EXACTLY like FFXI (where game control design differences don't apply) besides the inverted axis controls on camera everything else was identical.

Because FFXIV uses a different control system (make sure you turn the "gamepad strip mode" on) instead of using the bars for mouse clicking so you use button combos to control your character actions.

It's impossible to make the controls 100% identical due how the game is played but the default settings are actually quite similar.
By Antaress 2013-08-23 07:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

well one thing I did was swap the hunting log to ctrl+H so H could be lock on target at the keybind menu.. just couldn't not leave it like that hahaha, hope it helps!
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-08-27 16:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there any way to stop the game from automatically locking on when you perform a spell or action? Thats the only thing I HATE about the targetting system in XIV, especially on a job like thaumaturge. So many times I'll cast sleep on a monster which locks on to that target. Then I'll move over to the other monster that linked and start nuking it but forget that I'm still 'locked' on the target I slept so the next nuke defaults back over to the locked on target which wakes it. That happens so often lol. It sucks a lot more in story battles that are a bit more difficult. If it didn't auto-lockon a target when you casted a spell it would be a lot more like XI.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2013-08-27 16:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting used to the controls, some good suggestions in this thread...

Main thing I hate:

FFXI: Reply to /tell: Ctrl+R
FFXIV: Ctrl+R is just R (since Alt+R is reply) which makes you start running ><
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2013-08-28 01:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

TaruAgent777 said: »
(I hate the chat window and the fact it doesn't auto minimize) *bleh* --- out of habit I used to habitually hit the escape key in ffxi to clear everything.... and now in 14 it brings up the stupid system menu.
1000x this.
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-08-28 13:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bojack said: »
Is there any way to stop the game from automatically locking on when you perform a spell or action? Thats the only thing I HATE about the targetting system in XIV, especially on a job like thaumaturge. So many times I'll cast sleep on a monster which locks on to that target. Then I'll move over to the other monster that linked and start nuking it but forget that I'm still 'locked' on the target I slept so the next nuke defaults back over to the locked on target which wakes it. That happens so often lol. It sucks a lot more in story battles that are a bit more difficult. If it didn't auto-lockon a target when you casted a spell it would be a lot more like XI.

I should explain better. I don't think what I'm talking about is actually 'lock-on' since that is accomplished by clicking my left analog stick. What I mean is that arrow that appears above a target when you engage a monster or when you just cast a spell on something. I just really wish that arrow above your target didn't happen when you casted a spell.
 Phoenix.Cell
Server: Phoenix
user: Cell
By Phoenix.Cell 2013-09-09 22:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

TaruAgent777 said: »
Thank you guys for your reply - After about 2 hours of fine tuning I was able to figure out a way to tab around NPCs.PCs, and Monsters (by using tab keys anf f-functions setup through the keybind menu) - I also adjusted the key bind from being (NUM0) for accept to (enter) - Setting hotkeys to Cntrl and Alt settings (like macors in ffxi) ----- that made things a WHOLE lot easier -

Yah it still works kinda wonky ---
(I hate the chat window and the fact it doesn't auto minimize) *bleh* --- out of habit I used to habitually hit the escape key in ffxi to clear everything.... and now in 14 it brings up the stupid system menu. <I have got to teach myself to stop doing that lol> -

Other than that, I think I am finally getting used to things now, but yah, they could have made things a little bit more user friendly and not so *ragequit* lol --- If anyone needs some help on the basic keys I have set let me know and I will see what I can do to help. I'm still not up to 100% efficiency yet though so have some patience with me ^^ - thanks again!

I'm thinking of playing. So you were able to set controls on a laptop or non number pad keyboard to play without using a mouse? If so can you give me your exact setup? I played a lot of xi and stopped a year ago. But I really enjoyed the keyboard only controls. Any help would be great.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-09-11 12:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I have my numpad 8462 for movement, arrow keys for camera, 7 for autorun, 9 for zoom in, 3 for zoom out. WASD for target selections (A/D for left-right targeting, W/S for party list targeting). It works very well for me, and I only have to touch my mouse when using ground-targeting AoE abilities.
 Phoenix.Cell
user: Cell
By Phoenix.Cell 2013-09-11 16:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok thanks.
 Leviathan.Lunazetha
Server: Leviathan
user: MoonZ
By Leviathan.Lunazetha 2013-09-22 13:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello all I have a weird problem whit my games and the PS3 controller.

When I log to FFXI, use the DS3 MotioinJoy for PS3 and it works great.
Then if I want to play FFXIV, I need to log out from FFXI to make my controller work for FFXIV, if not the controller still move my char on FFXI insted of FFXIV.
What need to do to make the same controller work for both games, someone can help me, pls?
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-09-22 15:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kahri said: »
Please don't use KB to turn...mouse is so much faster and easy to get used to if you practice while you level!
I don't ever need to "turn". I use absolute controls on my keyboard and legacy camera setting. The only possible need for turning would be if you are casting a spell and the target starts running out of your LoS.