Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2012-01-17 15:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah yes, I do remember seeing that now :P. That is pretty much what it has become.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-01-17 15:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said: »
Aw Calc is fun! Formulas for formulas telling you how to use formulas to find something that nobody cares about!

Yup. I don't wannna go through it again.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2012-01-17 19:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Savannahlynn said: »
Asura.Chuuuuu said: »
can you at least tell what shes saying? lol my trig teacher speaks horrible english >< no one in class knows what hes talking about lol ;~;

Yeah, I can understand her...I've had 2 calc teachers that were foreign and I couldn't understand them, which they are the reason I dropped out of college the first time.

It's just...so much writing...I have to write a blog every week for 10 weeks....I hate writing so much ; ;
I had to drop Calc II the first time because the professor was Indian and his accent was too much to handle. Of course for Calc I and III they were Chinese, but Chinese accents are easier to handle for me.
 Bahamut.Savannahlynn
Server: Bahamut
user: Savannah
By Bahamut.Savannahlynn 2012-01-17 19:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The first one I had was...I don't even remember...but dear god his accent was thick...and even when I could understand him...he never actually finished a problem....he did like, 2 more steps and told us we could figure it out from there.

So the next semester I tried again...and had an Indian woman...I went to 2 classes...and walked out...never to go back again.
 Bahamut.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-01-17 19:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Rowland said: »
The problem we face these days is college is mandatory if you want a job. When our parents and grandparents just went to high school, that was all good and well for them. A few went to college but it was in direct correlation to how much money they wanted to earn.

By today's standards, you'd have to get your master's degree in a field you actually want to find a job in. Just to be considered "above the rest", which is still above a small percentage. Getting your PhD these days almost doesn't make sense. Why would an employer want to hire you as a PhD when they could get the same output from a masters for less money?
Not to mention you have to have x years experience to get a decent job. So you first must find a job that accepts your credentials, that doesn't require experience, so you can get a job that wants you to have experience already. By this time most of what you learned in college is probably irrelevant as new techniques/technology etc. have been discovered. Makes sense to me.
The whole system is whack. I have zero college, but I've managed to sell myself, and impress enough people, well enough that I make a respectable amount of money. Of course I want more, but that's what happens when you get a taste of high pay (like the paycheck a 70 hour workweek gives).

Edit: Got cold so I lost my train of thought and left the post half completed.

As I've said before, I wanted to be a teacher. But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a college degree to get a job making anywhere from 60% to 80% of what I currently make without. It's a much better use of my time and money to get an ASSOCIATES in a related field.
By Nevill 2012-01-17 19:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Krizz said: »
Ramuh.Rowland said: »
The problem we face these days is college is mandatory if you want a job. When our parents and grandparents just went to high school, that was all good and well for them. A few went to college but it was in direct correlation to how much money they wanted to earn.

By today's standards, you'd have to get your master's degree in a field you actually want to find a job in. Just to be considered "above the rest", which is still above a small percentage. Getting your PhD these days almost doesn't make sense. Why would an employer want to hire you as a PhD when they could get the same output from a masters for less money?
Not to mention you have to have x years experience to get a decent job. So you first must find a job that accepts your credentials, that doesn't require experience, so you can get a job that wants you to have experience already. By this time most of what you learned in college is probably irrelevant as new techniques/technology etc. have been discovered. Makes sense to me.
The whole system is whack. I have zero college, but I've managed to sell myself, and impress enough people, well enough that I make a respectable amount of money. Of course I want more, but that's what happens when you get a taste of high pay (like the paycheck a 70 hour workweek gives).

This is my situation. I quit college after 1 year. Worked my *** off for low pay for 2 years, got hired into a job for a rather large company as a on the ground laborer, and now have managed to "sell myself" as Krizz put it, and now in mid - high level management.

Granted, I am now competing with young guys with a college degree for the same positions.

Sorry, kinda got to rambling there.
 Bahamut.Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-01-17 19:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

We just had our first cuts on this contract. Fortunately I survived, but that was expected. The next cuts will be worse, but I still have a good chance. If not, well I'm preparing for that as well... The company I work for wants to keep me. They make a lot of money off of me (I'm a subcontractor).
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-01-17 20:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Krizz said: »
We just had our first cuts on this contract. Fortunately I survived, but that was expected. The next cuts will be worse, but I still have a good chance. If not, well I'm preparing for that as well... The company I work for wants to keep me. They make a lot of money off of me (I'm a subcontractor).

Can you explain what a subcontractor is?
By Nevill 2012-01-17 20:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Contractor bids on a large job, and then hires subcontractors to perform the work.
By Nevill 2012-01-17 20:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Nevill said: »
Contractor bids on a large job, and then hires subcontractors to perform the work.

edit: that is the simple construction explanation anyway.

edit for real: I mixed up my edit and quote buttons, lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-01-17 20:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So say a few advertising companies are competing for a client. Say Joe's Ads get the bid. They have people to do like the TV ads, but they also want to make a new website. If Joe's Ads hire me, totally unrelated to anyone, to do the website, am I a subcontractor?
By Nevill 2012-01-17 20:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
So say a few advertising companies are competing for a client. Say Joe's Ads get the bid. They have people to do like the TV ads, but they also want to make a new website. If they hire me, totally unrelated to anyone, to do the website, am I a subcontractor?

Exactly.

Another example, you have companies like Granite Communications in Atlanta that handle telephone/internet services for companies like the one I work for that span halfway across the country. They hire local people, like century-link to do the hook-up and maintenance.

Granite is the contractor, century-link is the sub-contractor.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-01-17 20:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Today I learned I'm a subcontractor.
 Bahamut.Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-01-17 20:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, the main contracting company has the contract with the government. The contracting company has people that work directly for them, and then they have subcontractors to fill additional slots.

They do this so they don't have to give better pay/benefits to everyone, particularly short term positions. I had the option of onboarding with the main company, but they couldn't match what my company offered me to stay. It's a stupid process when you think about it, because they're probably spending AT LEAST $10k more / year for me.

I don't even want to get into how they do pay, raises, and promotions in the company.
By Nevill 2012-01-17 20:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Krizz, I hope everything goes ok for you. Have you ever thought of getting a business license and contracting yourself out? I know its really putting yourself out there, but could pay off in the long run.
 Bahamut.Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-01-17 20:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Nevill said: »
Krizz, I hope everything goes ok for you. Have you ever thought of getting a business license and contracting yourself out? I know its really putting yourself out there, but could pay off in the long run.
We have a guy on the team who does this. I had never thought of it, but if I continue working the contracting world, I may consider it. I'd have to really look into it though.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2012-01-17 20:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
Today I learned I'm a subcontractor.
Welcome to the club.
 Bahamut.Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-01-17 22:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm about to break my keyboard over this dungeon (Potema) on Skyrim. I guess that's what I get for powerleveling my alchemy and smithing a bit. Not enough skill points in heavy armor and weapon :(
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-01-17 23:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Savannahlynn said: »
The first one I had was...I don't even remember...but dear god his accent was thick...and even when I could understand him...he never actually finished a problem....he did like, 2 more steps and told us we could figure it out from there.

So the next semester I tried again...and had an Indian woman...I went to 2 classes...and walked out...never to go back again.

I had a wonderfull math professor over the summer, explained things willingly and in a way that we understood.

Went from dropping the semester before because I would have maybe got a D to getting an A...

then again this was only precalc2, I've been debating on taking calculus, but I don't really want to do proofs.

I hope I won't need to take 3 classes if I do decide to transfer into ODU /crosses fingers.
 Bahamut.Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-01-18 06:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm getting so confused. I actually have to look at usernames to know who is posting :(
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-18 06:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
[+]
 Bahamut.Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-01-18 06:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-01-18 07:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember to contact your local Congress people.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2012-01-18 07:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Who are you people?
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2012-01-18 07:39:02