Washington State Gets Rid Of "sexist" Language

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 23 24 25
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 10:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess the easiest way to put it is:

If you're not circumsized at birth, you have a 99% chance of never having to deal with it and a <1% chance of needing circumcision later in life.

Would you risk losing up to 50% of your sexual pleasure to avoid that 1% chance of having to experience the surgery later?

Quote:
Never tried to win, or garner sympathy. The only reason I've kept posting is to try and make yall understand that I am not disagreeing with you on some of these major points, we're on the same team, not mutually exclusive, ect.
Also, how many times do I have to repeat myself? I said that I am not representative of the movement as a whole, only that I've experienced more friendliness to men than some think. Dear god.
I stated that I agreed with you and I've stated that I support your personal views many times. Continually posting them and giving halfassed arguments in favor of feminism in general isn't really changing much. If you don't disagree with my interpretation of feminism, then I don't see the point arguing. If you do, you're going to have to come up with better supporting arguments than the ones you've been using.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 10:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Melpomenae said: »
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Circumcision is medically considered an elective procedure. If the foreskin develops wrong, in rare cases, it can squeeze the penis resulting in some problems. This can be treated through circumcision.. and does not carry any higher risks than doing it at birth. I would gladly have taken the risk of going through it later in life given the low probability of these occurances and the obvious benefits of having a more sensitive dingaling. If I had a child, knowing my own thoughts on it, I would not have them circumcised. Anesthesia goes a long way, and while phimosis isn't obscenely rare: 50% of people will have a retractable foreskin by 1 year of age, 90% by 3 years of age, and 99% by age 17 without medical intervention.

Quote:
It's so telling that you keep throwing out the word "emotional" to discredit anything I post that you can't reply to. Also, I had no idea liking posts did anything other than liking them, as I told you earlier this is the first thread I've participated in. Who's throwing out ad homonyms now?
I read and addressed both of your articles in a prior post. So, again, you would be the one throwing out ad homonyms. If your goal is simply to win, you're already assured that due to your gross overconfidence in your own point. Nothing I say seems capable of changing your idealistic view of feminism. If you're looking to educate yourself and others around you, perhaps you should focus more on the points brought into the picture than attempting to garner sympathy. Again, those videos are incredibly informative and well-thought-out. They're even presented by someone with a vagina.

Never tried to win, or garner sympathy. The only reason I've kept posting is to try and make yall understand that I am not disagreeing with you on some of these major points, we're on the same team, not mutually exclusive, ect.
Also, how many times do I have to repeat myself? I said that I am not representative of the movement as a whole, only that I've experienced more friendliness to men than some think. Dear god.
Because this is FFXIAH. Unless your opinion is considered fact, you're gonna get ragged on it.. and ragged hard. :|
By fonewear 2013-07-10 10:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's just saying you aren't helping the feminist cause any.
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
Server: Phoenix
user: brena
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »
Circumcision is medically considered an elective procedure. If the foreskin develops wrong, in rare cases, it can squeeze the penis resulting in some problems. This can be treated through circumcision.. and does not carry any higher risks than doing it at birth. I would gladly have taken the risk of going through it later in life given the low probability of these occurances and the obvious benefits of having a more sensitive dingaling. If I had a child, knowing my own thoughts on it, I would not have them circumcised. Anesthesia goes a long way, and while phimosis isn't obscenely rare: 50% of people will have a retractable foreskin by 1 year of age, 90% by 3 years of age, and 99% by age 17 without medical intervention.

Quote:
It's so telling that you keep throwing out the word "emotional" to discredit anything I post that you can't reply to. Also, I had no idea liking posts did anything other than liking them, as I told you earlier this is the first thread I've participated in. Who's throwing out ad homonyms now?
I read and addressed both of your articles in a prior post. So, again, you would be the one throwing out ad homonyms. If your goal is simply to win, you're already assured that due to your gross overconfidence in your own point. Nothing I say seems capable of changing your idealistic view of feminism. If you're looking to educate yourself and others around you, perhaps you should focus more on the points brought into the picture than attempting to garner sympathy. Again, those videos are incredibly informative and well-thought-out. They're even presented by someone with a vagina.

Because this is FFXIAH. Unless your opinion is considered fact, you're gonna get ragged on it.. and ragged hard. :|

I probably picked the best thread ever to start posting on.
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Let's just saying, indeed.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 10:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess the easiest way to put it is:

If you're not circumsized at birth, you have a 99% chance of never having to deal with it and a <1% chance of needing circumcision later in life.

Would you risk losing up to 50% of your sexual pleasure to avoid that 1% chance of having to experience the surgery later?
It's a tough call, but it's still a 1% chance. And with some parents nowadays, that to them reads 100, so they must to it to protect their child from ever having to know pain, shame and sadness.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 10:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

My parents weren't informed of the effects of the procedure. My father was circumsized at birth and never educated on the effects, so when it was offered my parents said yes. I really don't think many of the people authorizing this are making a conscious decision on behalf of their kid: they're doing what a doctor suggested because a lot of people trust doctors implicitly.
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-10 10:55:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You are the first person to even acknowledge that fone even exists lol
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-07-10 10:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

And with some parents nowadays, that to them reads 100

personally, I didn't give 2 shits about the 1% chance. I do remember girls in middle school totally *** with this guy because he wasn't circumsized, so if 90% of my son's peers are nipped, I might as well have him fit into the crowd, as not to get mocked in those few years that it can get to you, so I did.

I'll ask him in 19 years weather or not he cares, but if he's anything like his father, he won't.
By Drjones 2013-07-10 10:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Dunno if it matters but talked to a lot of guys who've had..phimosis(totally not sure how it's spelled in english)problems and said they wished they were circumcized as children instead of an age where you can't remove the trauma, lol. From my understanding it's a very widespread issue.
Speaking personally, I'm really glad I had that dealt with back in middle school rather than later on in life. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but I think a lot of that was simply the fact that surgery in general is unpleasant. All in all I don't see a whole lot of difference between having my foreskin and not, but it would have been nice to not have to deal with genital surgery right as I was hitting puberty. So yeah, I've got no problem with people wanting to circumcise their kid.
[+]
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

My parents weren't informed of the effects of the procedure. My father was circumsized at birth and never educated on the effects, so when it was offered my parents said yes. I really don't think many of the people authorizing this are making a conscious decision on behalf of their kid: they're doing what a doctor suggested because a lot of people trust doctors implicitly.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19520_5-insane-ways-fear-masturbation-shaped-modern-world.html

Circumcision was pushed in America to fight a fear of masturbation! Cause it makes it less sensitive therefore you can't sin with those dirty, dirty hands.

Totally worked!
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 10:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

personally, I didn't give 2 shits about the 1% chance. I do remember girls in middle school totally *** with this guy because he wasn't circumsized, so if 90% of my son's peers are nipped, I might as well have him fit into the crowd, as not to get mocked in those few years that it can get to you, so I did.

I'll ask him in 19 years weather or not he cares, but if he's anything like his father, he won't.
You win at parenting. /high-five
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2013-07-10 11:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You win at parenting

I try >.<

I guess it's yet to be determined for sure, my oldest is 11.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-10 11:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

a lot of people trust doctors implicitly.
I'm guilty of this as well, but can you blame us? Most I can know about a medical problem is something I read on wikipedia in a moment of hypochondria, if a doctor contradicts me I'm going to believe he knows better than me. *derails further*
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2013-07-10 11:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

i would rather call you a humanist than a feminist.
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-10 11:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Evolution didn't put 20,000 nerve endings in the foreskin of the penis for nothing!

There are only 5,000 nerve endings that are cut off a woman during circumcision.
 Cerberus.Kiori
Server: Cerberus
user: Kiori
By Cerberus.Kiori 2013-07-10 11:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Reading through this thread makes my head hurt...but I am going to put my two cents in.

The article the OP posted I feel is a waste of time. I'm for equal rights...but I don't feel like I'm being suppressed or do I feel that I am unequal when I hear the terms "Freshman" "Journeyman" "Clergyman". The only term that instantly makes me think "man" though would be "Clergyman", but I don't feel the word is sexist.

I feel the government can spend their time elsewhere, but what's done is done.

For the thread as a whole...learned the "urban dictionary" definition for creep. Using slag in an argument to boost your argument seems to be a joke, but what ever.

Parental rights with women vs men:

I feel both should have the same shared rights. If the two make a child together, be it accident or deliberate, I believe both have the right in saying if the child should be born.

If one is against, and one is for, I feel the child should be born, and given to the parent that wants the child. I also feel, after stating that, that which ever parent said they didn't want the child shouldn't have to be stuck with child support.

I also agree with how rape culture argument is ***. A lot of this is going to come from society views.

I'm going to stereotype here for a moment with society's generalizations.

Men are viewed to be stronger. Women weak by comparison. Men also portrayed as "sex fiends", or for another example, men think of sex all the time compared to women. Women are more reserved, sensitive, and the notion of sex is a "voo-doo" to speak of.

End stereotype/generalizations.

Due to how men and women are portrayed today. Yes...men are more perceived to be the one committing the act of rape compared to being on the victim then. We know that women are also very capable of committing rape also.

Let's go back to social standards...

When we look at how men are portrayed today being the strong of the two sexes. Today's society looks down upon those that show weakness in their masculinity. Is that right? Absolutely not!

I don't need to comment about men raping women since society already deems that as acceptable. By saying this, I am by no means saying rape is okay. It's a disgusting act, but with how it's viewed. Women are more expected victims.

I'm all for equal rights, but there's a lot that needs to change before that. You can make laws to change things, but if society views it another it doesn't matter what is written in a document. Society as a whole needs to stop generalizing a sex compared to another if anything is ever going to really change.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 11:04:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm guilty of this as well, but can you blame us? Most I can know about a medical problem is something I read on wikipedia in a moment of hypochondria, if a doctor contradicts me I'm going to believe he knows better than me. *derails further*
In a time where anyone can go on WebMD and type in they have a cough and the first thing comes up as cancer..

I can see why paranoia and trusting a doctor no matter what nowadays is commonplace.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-10 11:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

personally, I didn't give 2 shits about the 1% chance. I do remember girls in middle school totally *** with this guy because he wasn't circumsized, so if 90% of my son's peers are nipped, I might as well have him fit into the crowd, as not to get mocked in those few years that it can get to you, so I did. I'll ask him in 19 years weather or not he cares, but if he's anything like his father, he won't.

IDK how parenting could be a competition. The goal is to further the species, I don't see how limitting the possible health issues for a child later in life could be considered bad parenting even if the chances are insanely low. Its not like its a situation where there are health risks to being circumsized.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 11:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm the opposite. I assume people are idiots, and doctors are people. When I was 14, I was taken to the hospital for drinking cough syrup to get high in school. I was more educated than the nurse on the risks associated with high dosage, and well within the bounds of safety. I now realize it was a bad idea to do this on school grounds and no longer hold a grudge against them for wasting my time at the hospital. However, I was tested for other drug use and immediately accused of doing PCP/Angel dust. A 30 second google search returns that DXM(Dextromethorphan, the active ingredient in most cough syrups) gives a false positive for PCP. This is information that's extremely widely available, and yet I was forced through an entire gauntlet of questions and unnecessary tests because nobody was capable of producing it at the time.

Now, I'll generally have a solid idea of what's wrong with me and what treatment I expect before going anywhere for medical attention. If I make it that far and they give me a different diagnosis, I'll question them heavily and often go home and do some research myself before agreeing to a treatment plan.
 Shiva.Azraelina
Server: Shiva
user: Azraelina
By Shiva.Azraelina 2013-07-10 11:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh derailing makes for interesting paths of conversation.

I think most people are guilty of having absolute faith in what society specifies as professionals. And I find its not completely wrong. Logically it is better to take the word of one educated in the field than as you've mentioned, our know it all hypochondriac mental states searching rampantly on google haha. Of course it's important to realize even then they make mistakes and Can absolutely be wrong at times. No one knows everything.

But that's from my perspective and respect of doctors as I'm going into the medical field. I've had some poor doctors before that had no idea what they were saying. (Told me I had a cold when I had strept throat) but I would still rather be advised by the educated individual than not.

Thought about putting my 2 cents in on the other topics here and decided I don't like arguing hahaha
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 11:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
personally, I didn't give 2 shits about the 1% chance. I do remember girls in middle school totally *** with this guy because he wasn't circumsized, so if 90% of my son's peers are nipped, I might as well have him fit into the crowd, as not to get mocked in those few years that it can get to you, so I did. I'll ask him in 19 years weather or not he cares, but if he's anything like his father, he won't.

IDK how parenting could be a competition. The goal is to further the species, I don't see how limitting the possible health issues for a child later in life could be considered bad parenting even if the chances are insanely low. Its not like its a situation where there are health risks to being circumsized.
The point I was making was that he doesn't really care, and did it just so his son wouldn't have to get *possibly* teased. And will it matter when the child grows up? Not really.

In an age where parents will micromanage what happens to their children even when they're in their 30's, it's a nice refreshing pace to see someone do something they know will be better for their child, but know that it won't matter several years down the road.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2013-07-10 11:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

there is a shitload of incompetance at every level, the medical profession is no different, you absolutely should not trust a doctor impeccably.
[+]
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 11:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm the opposite. I assume people are idiots, and doctors are people. When I was 14, I was taken to the hospital for drinking cough syrup to get high in school. I was more educated than the nurse on the risks associated with high dosage, and well within the bounds of safety. I now realize it was a bad idea to do this on school grounds and no longer hold a grudge against them for wasting my time at the hospital. However, I was tested for other drug use and immediately accused of doing PCP/Angel dust. A 30 second google search returns that DXM(Dextromethorphan, the active ingredient in most cough syrups) gives a false positive for PCP. This is information that's extremely widely available, and yet I was forced through an entire gauntlet of questions and unnecessary tests because nobody was capable of producing it at the time.

Now, I'll generally have a solid idea of what's wrong with me and what treatment I expect before going anywhere for medical attention. If I make it that far and they give me a different diagnosis, I'll question them heavily and often go home and do some research myself before agreeing to a treatment plan.

Hah~! I've had doctors give me scripts for penicillin even though I'm deathly allergic. We're on the same boat here. Doctors, even though they work hard to be what they are, can be complete idiots.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-10 11:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kiori said: »
If one is against, and one is for, I feel the child should be born, and given to the parent that wants the child
Sorry if I pick this out of context. But I'll never agree that the hypothetically pregnant me should be forced to give birth if I don't want to. If the man wants a baby he can have it with another woman, birth is way too traumatic to be forced upon someone.

Of course if the man doesn't want it I believe support shouldn't be forced on him either(not sure if this exists already, I'm way out of touch with law) - though he can't change his mind later if he doesn't like his wife anymore. I suppose it should be decided at the point of no return, before abhort becomes not possible anymore.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 11:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

In an age where parents will micromanage what happens to their children even when they're in their 30's, it's a nice refreshing pace to see someone do something they know will be better for their child, but know that it won't matter several years down the road.
I'm 22 and I'm still bothered by being circumsized. I don't fault my parents, I fault the medical system. I don't think it's a decision to make lightly, there are people who go to the efforts of wearing devices like this:

for months at a time to regenerate those cells. I also don't really think that a middle school class should all be aware of whether you're circumcized or not..
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 11:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kiori said: »
If one is against, and one is for, I feel the child should be born, and given to the parent that wants the child
Sorry if I pick this out of context. But I'll never agree that the hypothetically pregnant me should be forced to give birth if I don't want to. If the man wants a baby he can have it with another woman, birth is way too traumatic to be forced upon someone.

Of course if the man doesn't want it I believe support shouldn't be forced on him either(not sure if this exists already, I'm way out of touch with law) - though he can't change his mind later if he doesn't like his wife anymore. I suppose it should be decided at the point of no return, before abhort becomes not possible anymore.
Also, giving the child to the parent who wants it most doesn't mean that it's necessarily best for the child. Gotta take both parts into consideration.
 Siren.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 11:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

I probably picked the best thread ever to start posting on.
Yes! These ones are the most entertaining...
[+]
 Shiva.Azraelina
Server: Shiva
user: Azraelina
By Shiva.Azraelina 2013-07-10 11:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

there is a shitload of incompetance at every level, the medical profession is no different, you absolutely should not trust a doctor impeccably.

*Nods* Always. I do agree. But if you ever doubt something, even medically, it is in your right to seek affirmation or not elsewhere. A consensus opinion can be a valuable one at times.

Like I said previously, the PAs staffed in my university clinic do not know their head to their *** and diagnose everything as colds... When it's something very more severe that another doctor or PA easily diagnosed.

Never absolute faith! Always question and rationalize.
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 11:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm 22 and I'm still bothered by being circumsized. I don't fault my parents, I fault the medical system. I don't think it's a decision to make lightly, there are people who go to the efforts of wearing devices like this:

for months at a time to regenerate those cells. I also don't really think that a middle school class should all be aware of whether you're circumcized or not..
Depends on the school, some middle schools have you take PE and shower with everyone else, so sometimes it's unavoidable.

Not to say it's like this all the time, but one bad experience can shape how a person thinks and what they'll do.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 23 24 25