Washington State Gets Rid Of "sexist" Language

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 23 24 25
By Blazed1979 2013-07-10 13:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Those kind of practices are horrible to say the least.
There are some who believe that it keeps women chaste.
A one sided (male) view on Sexual relations where sexual intercourse and the pleasure involved is subjective and isolated to males, no doubt.

EDIT: 90% of the joy of sex for me, as a hetrosexual male, is knowing that my partner is satisfied. Find it hard to relate to mindsets that think women are a joy toy. Not judging... well nvm, I am lol
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-07-10 13:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hoshiku said: »
Comablack187 said: »

First of all. this does not have anything to do with the tread that was made.

Second of all.... Your mentioning of women not having control of their own bodies is a tool used by politicians to gain your vote. You are their pawn.

And getting back to the thread.... there must be something more important that they could be doing with their time. Our country is on the verge of bankruptcy with scandal after scandal in the white house who has a spending problem... and these *** want to make people feel good about what they are called. Seems to me they have their priorities in the wrong place.

My guess is that's in reference to the abortion issue. But lets take a moment to be honest here... abortion is not about controlling women, it's about controlling poor people. If I get pregnant and I don't want it and live in a state that doesn't allow abortions: I fly abroad. If a poor person gets pregnant they have no options.
Until ex vivo fetal development becomes available, then abortion is a women's issue. It just happens to impact poor women more severely due to them having limited options.
By Comablack187 2013-07-10 13:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »

I don't know what religion we are talking about, I'm hoping its not more western-media skewed reporting on Islam.

Islam has always emphasized on healthy sexual relationships. There are a few groups of people, not Islam, that got it wrong and its more to do with their infusing their ethnic culture into Islam - such as in central Asia and Africa.

Only Men are circumcised in Judiasm and Islam. There's no doctrine anywhere in Islam on women being circumcised.

Women's sexual rights in Islam: (you have to see this in perspective and context, 1,437 years ago this was the doctrine while you know, or can easily research, what state of affairs the vatican church was in with regards to women)

In Islam if a man doesn't satisfy his wife's sexual needs, she has a legitimate case for divorce. Women can divorce their men if they are not satisfied with their performance (bet a lot of you guys are happy as *** you're not muslim lol)

Again, there will be cases of people who identify themselves as Muslims who follow some of its theology and doctrine, but also follow their own cultural heritage.

Islam places great emphasis on sexuality. While the Vatican church was claiming that sex and pleasures of the flesh are taboo, Islam was encouraging husbands and wives to get jiggy.

I have served 2 years over seas. That is nothing how they treat their women. FGM is still practiced in Islamic countries. And it is common practice. The women are treated as slaves and property. They are chipped and tracked. Not allowed outside without their husband at their side, never allowed to leave the country, must stay home, make dinner and make babies... and women in America think they have it horrible because they might not be able to get an abortion. Americans are a bunch of cry babies. You people have no clue how good we have it here. Atheists crying because of a statue, women crying because they cant have abortions. Children crying because they get spankings for being ***heads. Its quite pathetic.

And to top it off we have a president who gives billions and billions of dollars to international terrorist organizations, sides with Syrian rebels who are in good with the same group who brought this country to its knees with a couple pairs of box cutters and airplanes. And you people still love him.

I am ashamed to be called an American and to have served for this countries freedoms that you just so willingly give up because someone tells you its the right thing. Do you know how Hitler, Stalin, Castro all came to power???? BY PROMISING CHANGE AND HOPE. Sound familiar?

I think im done ranting now.... I would say I'm Sorry..... but it would be a lie. Have a nice *** day!
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-07-10 13:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I think im done ranting now.... I would say I'm Sorry..... but it would be a lie. Have a nice *** day!
Good
[+]
By Drjones 2013-07-10 13:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well done guys, we managed to stave off Godwin for ten pages. It was fun while it lasted.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-07-10 13:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

don't know what religion we are talking about, I'm hoping its not more western-media skewed reporting on Islam.

nah I wasn't talking Islam, religion is just the go to in my head if I can't figure out rationally, "why in the *** would a person do that?"
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 13:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said: »
Well done guys, we managed to stave of Godwin for ten pages. It was fun while it lasted.
For the longest time I didn't know what that meant, and I finally looked it up. /pats_for_patrick

I was placing my bets on the 2nd page, but nope.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-07-10 13:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
And it was no small task. "This was a much larger effort than I had envisioned. Mankind means man and woman," Democratic state Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles of Seattle told Reuters.

"Fisherman" is now a "fisher." "Penmanship" is called "handwriting." And "manhole cover" is, well, still "manhole cover." Some words don’t have an easy replacement.

I wish i had a video clip of this instead lol. But as i read that, i could only hear the words of George Carlin running through my head...

Quote:
But, when it comes to changing the language, I think they make some good points,
because we do think in language and so the quality of our thoughts and ideas could only be as good as the quality of our language.
So maybe some of this patriarcho ***ought to go away.

I think spokesman ought to be spokesperson.
I think chairman ought to be chairperson.
I think mankind ought to be human kind, but they take it too far, they take themselves too seriously,
they exaggerate.
They want me to call that thing in the street a personhole cover.
I think that's taking it a little bit too far.

What would you call a lady's man, a person's person?
That would make a He-man an It-person.
Little kids would be afraid of the boogieperson.
They'd look up in the sky and see the person in the moon.
Guys would say come back here and fight like a person.
And we'd all sing "for it's a jolly good person."
That's the kind of thing you would hear on late-night with David Letterperson.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2013-07-10 13:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what religion we are talking about, I'm hoping its not more western-media skewed reporting on Islam.

Islam has always emphasized on healthy sexual relationships. There are a few groups of people, not Islam, that got it wrong and its more to do with their infusing their ethnic culture into Islam - such as in central Asia and Africa.

Only Men are circumcised in Judiasm and Islam. There's no doctrine anywhere in Islam on women being circumcised.

Women's sexual rights in Islam: (you have to see this in perspective and context, 1,437 years ago this was the doctrine while you know, or can easily research, what state of affairs the vatican church was in with regards to women)

In Islam if a man doesn't satisfy his wife's sexual needs, she has a legitimate case for divorce. Women can divorce their men if they are not satisfied with their performance (bet a lot of you guys are happy as *** you're not muslim lol)

Again, there will be cases of people who identify themselves as Muslims who follow some of its theology and doctrine, but also follow their own cultural heritage.

Islam places great emphasis on sexuality. While the Vatican church was claiming that sex and pleasures of the flesh are taboo, Islam was encouraging husbands and wives to get jiggy.

I have served 2 years over seas. That is nothing how they treat their women. FGM is still practiced in Islamic countries. And it is common practice. The women are treated as slaves and property. They are chipped and tracked. Not allowed outside without their husband at their side, never allowed to leave the country, must stay home, make dinner and make babies... and women in America think they have it horrible because they might not be able to get an abortion. Americans are a bunch of cry babies. You people have no clue how good we have it here. Atheists crying because of a statue, women crying because they cant have abortions. Children crying because they get spankings for being ***heads. Its quite pathetic.

And to top it off we have a president who gives billions and billions of dollars to international terrorist organizations, sides with Syrian rebels who are in good with the same group who brought this country to its knees with a couple pairs of box cutters and airplanes. And you people still love him.

I am ashamed to be called an American and to have served for this countries freedoms that you just so willingly give up because someone tells you its the right thing. Do you know how Hitler, Stalin, Castro all came to power???? BY PROMISING CHANGE AND HOPE. Sound familiar?

Where did you serve?
The majority of the Muslim world is not under siege and does not have serving US ground forces.

Also, I would assume that as someone who has served in a foreign country your interactions with the local populace were limited.

I would also assume that your duty wasn't to gather facts and present empirical evidence as to the state of women.

I'm not saying you're mistaken, or lying. I'm saying that is a very narrow view and doesn't represent the truth about the Muslim world anymore than a KKK lynch party represents America or Christianity.

EDIT: Lets not derail anymore.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 13:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
don't know what religion we are talking about, I'm hoping its not more western-media skewed reporting on Islam.

nah I wasn't talking Islam, religion is just the go to in my head if I can't figure out rationally, "why in the *** would a person do that?"
I brought up religion in my post as a comparison, so I started it.

Most people don't do this because of religion, but tradition, sadly.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2013-07-10 13:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
George Carlin

god I miss that man.

I got to see him before he died, luckily.
[+]
By Drjones 2013-07-10 13:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »

Is there really a difference between the two?
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 13:45:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on who you ask. :)
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-07-10 13:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

warning, incoming copypaste
By Blazed1979 2013-07-10 13:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Beautiful question. I would say Yes, there most certainly is.

Religion can permeate across borders, cultures, ethnicity and demographics.

Culture is usually subject to a specific group or groups of people.

The two are often at odds with each other as well. Just look at all the shizms of religion, which in their origins are due to cultural differences.
By Comablack187 2013-07-10 13:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Where did you serve?
The majority of the Muslim world is not under siege and does not have serving US ground forces.

Also, I would assume that as someone who has served in a foreign country your interactions with the local populace were limited.

I would also assume that your duty wasn't to gather facts and present empirical evidence as to the state of women.

I'm not saying you're mistaken, or lying. I'm saying that is a very narrow view and doesn't represent the truth about the Muslim world anymore than a KKK lynch party represents America or Christianity.

EDIT: Lets not derail anymore.

I was in OIF 1 and OIF 3. 03-04, 05-06 in Iraq. And I did have quite a bit of interaction with the local public.

Now there is Muslim, and then their is the Muslim Extremist. Similar as to Mormons are to Polygamists. Same teachings, just interrupted wrong. And yes, it does happen... daily. Its just not what you will hear about in the News. They only tell you what they want you to hear.
By Drjones 2013-07-10 13:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds to me like it's simply a difference of scale.
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 13:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Those kind of practices are horrible to say the least.
There are some who believe that it keeps women chaste.
A one sided (male) view on Sexual relations where sexual intercourse and the pleasure involved is subjective and isolated to males, no doubt.

EDIT: 90% of the joy of sex for me, as a hetrosexual male, is knowing that my partner is satisfied. Find it hard to relate to mindsets that think women are a joy toy. Not judging... well nvm, I am lol
You must not get a lot of joy out of sex then! Bam! lol....
[+]
By fonewear 2013-07-10 13:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not an expert on Muslims but I don't think they have a good track record with how they treat women.
By Comablack187 2013-07-10 13:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'm not an expert on Muslims but I don't think they have a good track record with how they treat women.

Fact.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 13:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
I'm not really sure what this is but for whatever reason I started off reading it like I was singing the opening to fresh prince of belair...
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2013-07-10 13:55:24
Link | Quote | Reply

the wierdest Iraqi / Kuwaiti story I took from all my cousins' time over there was all the dudes, who were supposedly friends, brothers, ects, holding hands all the time while walking down the street. wierd.
By Blazed1979 2013-07-10 13:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Well Iraq is only 11-14 Million people last time I checked.
350 Million Arabs in the world.
1.6 Billion Muslims

(Arabs aren't even half of all muslims, and Iraq doesn't even make up 10% of Arabs)

There are two main groups of Muslim sects, both present in large numbers in Iraw; Sunni and Shia.
Then there are tribes and tribal culture. Not to mention the Kurds in the North, with their own dialect.

There are also Shia muslims in Iraq with loyalties and tribal roots of persian (iranian) origin.

The Shia themselves are comprised of tens of different schools of thought and their take on Islam. Globally they are only 9% of Muslims. 91% of Muslims are Sunni.

That's not to say that the Sunni muslims in Iraq aren't effected by the culture of their Shia compatriots. Just like how in the US living in the South will effect whether you vote republican or democrat.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 13:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Our women shouldn't be mad because they're being treated badly because damnit look at those women over there! They're being treated even worse... They should shut up and be glad we don't treat em like that!

Edit: Please don't be done ranting it entertains me!
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 14:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I don't get the outrage... I mean every argument against this language change starts off with "why should anyone care?!?!?" Conversely why do you care that they put it on the books as something else? lol... I mean I live in Illinois and supposedly my state has taken to something similar and I really haven't even noticed the change... It's not like it makes it a crime to still call people freshman lol... I personally don't see why it bothers people and I mean if it makes people happy or feel more respected why not? Especially so if you don't really even give a ***in the end beyond some silly statement someone else made early on about letting women control the "man's language" lol... oh my I laughed quite heartily... that and it makes no sense... any who...
[+]
By Blazed1979 2013-07-10 14:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

All of mankind/Humankind has a bad track record. Especially Euopean/western nations if we're talking track records.

At the moment women's rights, like everything else, in the developing world are progressing. They aren't where they are in the west, but neither is science and society in general.

Having said that, in the greater scheme of things, Islam is miles ahead of Western Society with regards to women's rights.

Islam asserted women as human beings and mates/equals to men 1,437 years ago, whereas only recently did the suffragettes achieve and secure the right to vote.

YouTube Video Placeholder

for a detailed comparison you can read here:

http://www.answering-christianity.com/liberation.htm

That's a historical "track record".

Also check: http://truereligiondebate.wordpress.com/category/women-rights-in-islam-vs-christianity/

EDIT: Posted wrong link, fixed.
By Blazed1979 2013-07-10 14:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

the wierdest Iraqi / Kuwaiti story I took from all my cousins' time over there was all the dudes, who were supposedly friends, brothers, ects, holding hands all the time while walking down the street. wierd.

I know exactly what you're talking about. The worst thing is when you have a friend who grabs your hand and you're like "Duuuuuuuude... da fuq"

Its just normal over there. I used to assume it meant they were gay . But look how offended they will get and how badly they will react if you ask that.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-07-10 14:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Flavin said: »
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
I'm not really sure what this is but for whatever reason I started off reading it like I was singing the opening to fresh prince of belair...

It's a semi-recent meme where the storyteller portrays a completely innocuous situation / mildly chivalrous (not misogynist in the slightest) situation in the overexaggerated, victimized manner of a feminist. Frequent use of terms such as "patriarchal" "oppression" "testosterone" etc abound.

quick google searched description:

A recent meme on tumblr, which has sadly also carried over to /pol/ and /b/ : "It was my privilege". Basically, a satire of the typical feminist habit of seeing male privilege and oppression everywhere.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2013-07-10 14:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you guys ever worked with women?
Surprisingly the human beings who most put women down, are usually women, in my experience.

I can't count the number of times Women have come up to me and asked me to sort something out with another team member, or another entire team, and said "too much estrogen" or "you know what women are like" and "someone needs to calm the hen house down".

Its always been women who have come up and said things like this in fire fights. If a man said that, even jokingly, he would be at Human Resources the next morning signing a form protecting the organization from the onslaught of feminist attacks that would follow.

EDIT: These days men just wanna be left the hell alone and not have to deal with this BS. We're coming full circle. Women are going to end up being left out of the gentlemen's club because its going to come back into existence as an escape from women.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-07-10 14:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said: »
Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
Ragnarok.Corres said: »
we have more female teachers who give male students worse grades because they are boys
Never encountered this. And most of my teachers were female too.

And again, feminist =/= man hater
here you go.

Erm, that is not what the paper was about. You should read more than just the headline, because they are usually very misleading.

http://www.insead.edu/facultyresearch/research/doc.cfm?did=48404
Quote:
We put forward a new experimental economics design with monetary incentives to estimate students’ perceptions of grading discrimination

Perception =\= fact

It also states in the article you linked
Quote:
"Male students tend to bet less [money] when assessed by a female teacher than by an external examiner or by a male teacher. This is consistent with female teachers' grading practices; female teachers give lower grades to male students.

"Female students bet more when assessed by a male teacher than when assessed by an external examiner or a female teacher. Female students' behavior is not consistent with male teachers' grading practices, since male teachers tend to reward male students more than female students."
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 23 24 25