Matamata Broken?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Matamata Broken?
Matamata Broken?
 Valefor.Ingui
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Ingui
By Valefor.Ingui 2013-07-09 22:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

My ls did 3 Matamata tonight all with no magic damage until after 7th ws but he wasn't taking damage like normal. Anyone have any ideas or have this happen to them?
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-07-09 22:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Worked like normal for us tonight. Best guess if there was ABSOLUTELY no magic damage at all is that whoever was counting possibly missed the first TP move so the 7th TP move was actually the 8th TP move. I think after 8 he automatically resets.
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2013-07-09 22:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

We had some issues as well and Tojil is pretty much farm status for us so I hope it wasn't just a counting error. After move #5 I had a 79 dmg Thunder IV which is normal and then 700+ dmg Thunder V after the 6th move and then our dd's could only get it to 50% after the 7th so it wasn't a total reset. We did switch to doing physical damage after that (then nuking after 7) and it worked like normal.
 Valefor.Ingui
user: Ingui
By Valefor.Ingui 2013-07-09 22:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

@bojak not even formless strikes?
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-07-09 22:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ingui said: »
@bojak not even formless strikes?

Not really sure what you're asking ><.

I'd say there's also a possibility that someone hit it with Formless Strikes active a split second too early and cause his resistance's to reset.
 Asura.Echandra
Server: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2013-07-09 23:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

1. counting to 7. a lot of times when people pull it, they just drag it unclaimed and forget to do any damage before the first TP move so it takes 0 dmg from physical or magic and then when it does a TP move people count that move so your "6th or 7th" will be off. Depending on which approach your LS takes, best bet is to just claim it with autoattack or a nuke so there's no flubbing the count.

2. triggerhappy DD like bojack said. Someone may have tried to maximize time hitting it as it was TP'n instead of waiting so that will skew that as well.

Personally, depending on your party setup, I think building up to be weak vs melee doing magic damage works better, then DD can just auto-attack and weaponskill like morons and not screw it up. A good rdm can do this in their sleep and you can pretty much kill it from the 5th or 6th TP instead of waiting.
[+]
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2013-07-09 23:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm the usual matamata MNK and tank for our LS. I've killed it dozens of times without fail. A few tips. Fairly typical and easy on how to count to 7. If you are unsure if your next is for sure #7 you can tell by watching how much your damage does on #5 and #6. 5 You will be doing 3~6 ish damage per punch. 6 you will be doing 1s and 0s. (Mostly 1s)

The next thing to realize is do not formless too fast the moment #7 TP move happens. Your first hit has to be physical. Hit it a couple times for ZERO damage. Then you know its stuck in the phase. Also another tip. Save your impetus and focus/aggressor. Also keep your Tantra Cyclas +2 equipped throughout the formless. Try and remember to pop impetus at TP move #6. So you can build it up a bit before #7 happens. Don't need to wear the tantra +2 body until you start formless zerg on #7.
[+]
 Siren.Novadragon
Server: Siren
By Siren.Novadragon 2013-07-10 00:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lilsanchez said: »
I'm the usual matamata MNK and tank for our LS. I've killed it dozens of times without fail. A few tips. Fairly typical and easy on how to count to 7. If you are unsure if your next is for sure #7 you can tell by watching how much your damage does on #5 and #6. 5 You will be doing 3~6 ish damage per punch. 6 you will be doing 1s and 0s. (Mostly 1s)

The next thing to realize is do not formless too fast the moment #7 TP move happens. Your first hit has to be physical. Hit it a couple times for ZERO damage. Then you know its stuck in the phase. Also another tip. Save your impetus and focus/aggressor. Also keep your Tantra Cyclas +2 equipped throughout the formless. Try and remember to pop impetus at TP move #6. So you can build it up a bit before #7 happens. Don't need to wear the tantra +2 body until you start formless zerg on #7.

Pretty much Sanchez said. Don't formless till the 7th TP move ends completely, that's when you start formless.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-07-10 01:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So much misinformation in here.
[+]
 Sylph.Decimus
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2013-07-10 01:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

People aren't asking how to kill it. We're asking if it's broken because it was taking some very strange damage.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-10 01:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course they nerfed it, you didn't think SE intended for or was going to allow 5/5+Boss runs to happen any longer did you!? KILL OUR PRECIOUS CREATIONS, HERE HAVE SOME NERF SALAD.
[+]
 Sylph.Traxus
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2013-07-10 02:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fought mata in a shitty plasm farm pug earlier, and it was working normally with the physical damage for 7 tp moves -> formless method.
By fractalvoid 2013-07-10 02:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't notice anything different about Mata tonight.
People were saying something about it being super hard to land Dispel on Kurma since the update but I don't know forsure about that since our RDM looked fairly questionable.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-07-10 02:11:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Kurma nearly fully resisting dispel has pretty much been confirmed at this point. Sucks balls.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-10 02:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Kurma's newfound dispel hardheadeness is only made worse by the fact that Harden Shell being active increases the probability of song :(
 Sylph.Traxus
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2013-07-10 02:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it just a kurma thing, or did languor get nerfed?
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Hidegger
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger 2013-07-10 03:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

They don't want us playing rdm is all. Kurma got dispelled a few more times from SCH, GEO and BRD the other night when we fought a few.
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2013-07-10 09:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Do it right and it will take normal damage. Mata is not broken. Killed it 4 times after maint. I don't see what the issue is.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-07-10 09:23:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Of course they nerfed it, you didn't think SE intended for or was going to allow 5/5+Boss runs to happen any longer did you!? KILL OUR PRECIOUS CREATIONS, HERE HAVE SOME NERF SALAD.
They should of left Shiva's intact. NA still haven't won yet lol.