Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » New bullets vs arrows
New bullets vs arrows
 Asura.Gotenn
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2013-07-08 17:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

For the sake of this post I'll be using Delve weapons as a base, for the higher base damage.

Surefire Arquebus
DMG:96 Delay:600 Ranged Accuracy+18 Ranged Attack+10 Enmity-4

Adaman Bullet
DMG:127 Delay:240

Total Damage: 223

New bullet:
Achiyalabopa Bullet
DMG:253 Delay:240 Ranged Accuracy+20 Ranged Attack+20

Total Damage: 349
Difference +126

Speleogen Bow
DMG:221 Delay:600 Ranged Accuracy+18 Ranged Attack+15

Mantid Arrow
DMG:63 Delay:90 Ranged Accuracy+5

Total Damage: 284

New Arrow:
Achiyalabopa Arrow
DMG:87 Delay:90 Ranged Accuracy+20 Ranged Attack+20

Total Damage: 308
Difference +24

And for the "Thats not the highest damage bow in the game"
Echidna's Bow
DMG:248 Delay:600 Ranged Accuracy+40 Ranged Attack+30 "Store TP"+4

Mantid Arrow
DMG:63 Delay:90 Ranged Accuracy+5

Total Damage: 311

New Arrow:
Achiyalabopa Arrow
DMG:87 Delay:90 Ranged Accuracy+20 Ranged Attack+20

Total Damage: 335
Same Difference (ammo didn't change)

So even with the best bow available(barring HQ)
the Surefire with the new ammo: Damage 349
Echidna's Bow: Damage 335

Welcome back Gun Rangers!
 Asura.Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2013-07-08 17:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I forgot to mention about weapon delays, yes the Gun will be slower (always has), but Last Stand will out perform any bow weaponskill.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2013-07-08 17:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You didn't post the highest damage gun. If you have access to the new bullets, then you would also have access to the gun synth materials (assuming you can kill shark regularly).

Also, adaman bullets were not the best bullet choice pre-update. Damascus bullets were.

That said, it certainly seems like guns are the best choice at the moment (again).

I have to say the bolt damage was somewhat disappointing. I was hoping for illapa to be useful.
 Asura.Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2013-07-08 17:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't seen the new gun floating around yet is why I didn't include it, but even then it makes the damage even that much higher.
By Enuyasha 2013-07-08 17:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
You didn't post the highest damage gun. If you have access to the new bullets, then you would also have access to the gun synth materials (assuming you can kill shark regularly).

Also, adaman bullets were not the best bullet choice pre-update. Damascus bullets were.

That said, it certainly seems like guns are the best choice at the moment (again).

I have to say the bolt damage was somewhat disappointing. I was hoping for illapa to be useful.
Acid Bolts are still useful right? :<
 Bahamut.Darkone
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Darkone 2013-07-09 11:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The OA2-4 times gun might be rather badass with this new ammo. Well given using Decoy shot.
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-07-09 11:25:38
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG is a WS-heavy DPS job due to our hit-build ability, I doubt you'd keep up unless the mob has some WS-aversion like Chapuli. Not to say it wouldn't be fun as hell as all multi-attack weapons are :)
 Odin.Ladyrikku
Server: Odin
user: LadyRikku
By Odin.Ladyrikku 2013-07-09 22:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I just did a random test last night after updating.

Went out to bee outside jeuno to test with Damascus vs The New 253 Dmg bullet (I didn't buy the slightly lower ammo yet then)

No buff other than signet and Veloshot and shot from outside of sweetspot for consistency 10 shot each. (Small sample)

Normal Hits non crit was doing like 900-ish dmg on bee with Damascus bullet and the new 253 bullet doing constant 1.3k dmg

Coronach was doing 6k dmg from Damascus bullets vs 8.5k dmg from the new bullet.

Probly need more testing on higher end content but LS been too busy running around the new zones :(
 Bahamut.Darkone
By Bahamut.Darkone 2013-07-11 05:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Mirvana said: »
RNG is a WS-heavy DPS job due to our hit-build ability, I doubt you'd keep up unless the mob has some WS-aversion like Chapuli. Not to say it wouldn't be fun as hell as all multi-attack weapons are :)

Why would you assume you would do less WS damage when using the OA2-4 gun? WS frequency goes up a good bit and since most damage already comes from the bullet and the mod damage per WS doesn't go down very much. I will have to do some math to check out the actual difference in DPS.
 Bahamut.Darkone
By Bahamut.Darkone 2013-07-11 05:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Ladyrikku said: »
I just did a random test last night after updating.

Went out to bee outside jeuno to test with Damascus vs The New 253 Dmg bullet (I didn't buy the slightly lower ammo yet then)

No buff other than signet and Veloshot and shot from outside of sweetspot for consistency 10 shot each. (Small sample)

Normal Hits non crit was doing like 900-ish dmg on bee with Damascus bullet and the new 253 bullet doing constant 1.3k dmg

Coronach was doing 6k dmg from Damascus bullets vs 8.5k dmg from the new bullet.

Probly need more testing on higher end content but LS been too busy running around the new zones :(

What exactly are you trying to test?? That is just damage boost we already know the formula for damage.
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-07-13 23:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

So anyone know where Achiyalabopa Bullets are from yet?
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2013-07-13 23:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Obtained for 300 plasm (29700 for a stack) once you have obtained the title Dakuwaqa Trawler from the Delve boss in Foret.
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-07-13 23:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, guess I'm using Adlivun for a while then.
 Sylph.Octavious
user: octavious
By Sylph.Octavious 2013-07-24 14:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

This might be a little off topic but has the delay for shots changed since 75 cap? If I remember correctly back at 75 cap (when I leveled rng and cor) people used to think that the delay between your shots was effected by your ammo delay. From what I am reading now it appears people believe that it is in fact just a "fixed" (as fixed as anything in this game can be when spells and abilities randomly fire with different delays which I have chalked up to be due to the server ticks or something of the sort) delay in between your shots. If this is true with the crafted delve +1 weapons having the same delay and the difference in pure damage leading toward gun, from what I can tell essentially bow doesn't stand a chance?