Salvage Party Makeup Advice?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Salvage/Assault » Salvage party makeup advice?
Salvage party makeup advice?
 Ragnarok.Granis
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Granis25
By Ragnarok.Granis 2013-06-22 16:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I've joined a few /shout's for Salvage II for plans a few times on WHM and even though all the alex went to a Mythic builder, I was still happy with the amount of plans I got, well worth the cost of ethers for the first few floors. I'm trying my best to learn how to heal it and all.

But, I have a friend who is a certain DD job (DRK) who's dying to get in there too to start working on Ares plans and Ares 45s, but I know DRK isn't one of the "kings of salvage" jobs that are used for lowmanning (MNK, THF etc.) So his chances of joining a Salvage shout are small. He's got a pretty decent setup, he's working on getting his Bereaver, and he happens to be a Crobaci carrier till his Bereaver is done.

However, I've been doing some reading up and playing with the idea of /shouting for Salvage II myself during double plans (or just to get plans in general.) and/or maybe just start off with Salvage 75 for base pieces I and the DRK need. Plus, I'd like to run my own so I can split the Alex rather than it all going to a Mythic builder and just end up leaving with plans. (Not that I'm complaining, Plans are good! but a little cut of some Alex might be neat as well.)

If I were to start a little Salvage group with my DRK friend, with me on WHM, how many people should I be taking in for both version of Salvage, cold I just grab a MNK or some other kind of tank and just run with 3, or would I need a 4th like some other mage/utility person to help me out on early floors, or a THF or something?

Though I suppose as far as utility goes, I could ask the DRK to come as RUN to give me Refresh on the early floor before I can wear my refresh gears, but he probably wouldn't do nearly as much DMG as he would on DRK as the only RUN sets he has is Tanking/Enminty sets and not DD sets. And I probs want the MNK or whatever tanking anyway.

Should I try "leading a group" even though I am Still fairly new to Salvage but I'm willing to do more homework or maybe ask the MNK or whoever I get for my 3rd or 4th to do the meat of the "leading"
 Siren.Finality
Server: Siren
user: Finality
By Siren.Finality 2013-06-22 16:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't answer about new salvage, since I haven't done Salvage since the level cap increase, but old salvage at level 75 was trioable MNK THF WHM. You could clear everything you needed with the minimum amount for entry. At LV99 Salvagev1 should be soloable, DRK THF WHM would be more than fine. Sorry I can't help regarding v2.
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2013-06-22 16:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Granis by the sound of it i think you should lead the group even if your fairly new to Salvage. The fact that you really want to do this and set this up is a sound purpose and goal i think you should persue.

I do quiet a bit of Salvage with my ls we have made it one of our prime events due to the double drops celebration. try to pick up a THF and a brd if possible. mnk's always rock too you really want some TH though. Best of luck to you mate !
[+]
 Shiva.Trixan
Server: Shiva
user: Trixan
By Shiva.Trixan 2013-06-22 16:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You should always do your research if you want to lead a run. In salvage, you should try to keep your numbers to only 3 and 4 at most. This is assuming you have thf, healer, (and whatever DD job goes here). Salvage I is a absolute joke now but you should still be somewhat prepared for salvage II.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2013-06-22 17:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Drk is fine imo. In fact any DD + thf and a Whm can do salvage v1 and v2 just fine. The reason you want a thf is for plans to drop at a decent rate. With the update on gear in v1, i don't think you will need thf on v1 salvage. You can go with 3 or 4 but 3 is generally better ans easier to do. It will probably take more time if you are going with 4-6 people and no monks.

Monks are like free weapon equipped DD at start. It's strong without weapon so you can give the thf or someone else weapon in case you can not get weapon early. Using another DD like drk will force the thf to go without a weapon. this shouldn't be a problem if your drk is very strong.

Also, formless strikes allow your party to fight cerberus bosses effectively and speed up the fight with hydra bosses. You can have drk use twilight scythe here. There's a nerf for it so it's not very effective but still worth using on cerberus.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-06-22 17:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK, WHM, plus a 3rd DD (I prefer MNK w/ THF sub and TH+1 sash) works fine. You're overestimating the difficulty of the earlier floors as a healer. You won't need another there for support.

Read up on each route and zone boss and after a few runs, it'll become as rote as a Dynamis run.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-06-22 17:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK can work fine. I've done plenty of DRK/THF + Healer duo runs before.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2013-06-22 17:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Salvage II isn't bad. Just have to do some research on each zone and a couple of runs to get the feel for it. Just don't get discouraged.

Went SAM/NIN, RDM/WHM, and BRD/WHM(RDM+BRD were even dualboxed) for SSR2 and while it wasn't safely doable 100% of the time, we did kill all plan NMs and bosses. SAM goes /nin since the biggest problem with SSR2 is the main bosses' spontenaity-speed nukes. We tried WHM+BLU and SAM/WAR but if you're cursed those nukes can easily 1 shot you.

If you're well-geared Salvage II is really flexible on what you can bring. With the new Alternator, a friend was destroying Salvage II with x3 Puppetmasters.

If you want to do some runs sometime, can hit me up and I'll help out if you'll split the Alexandrite.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2013-06-22 17:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no preferred DD job for salvage really. MNK is not any better than anything else. I can make an argument for BLU, being able to AoE/kill fodder mobs extremely fast, but then damage suffers slightly on NMs (relative to other jobs). Pros and cons to most DD choices. DRK is a great choice for ZR specifically, assuming they don't suck and can stun bulwark.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-06-22 17:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc DRK is awesome in Neo Salvage, as long as they have JA and Main/sub. Reso DRK suffers for damage, but works fine on the lower floors and is more than competent on NM's. We go THF/SCH/SAM and rarely have issues with MP or damage output.
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2013-06-22 17:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are serious about doing salvage, try to do it with 3 people as your core and add a 4th as a last resort.

A perfect setup is 2 people with 1 person 2-boxing the support mage so you have a trio, but only 2 people splitting the plans/armor/alex.

Arrapago/Bhaf II are the easiest to trio imo and the most forgiving to learn for those just starting salvage II or with less than perfect job setups.

If you bring drk, they work best if they are an apoc drk. Otherwise the optimum trio for lowmanning is whm+mnk+thf.
Samurai is a good substitute for mnk in Arra II which has the bloodshed plans your drk friend wants.
 Lakshmi.Watusa
Server: Lakshmi
user: Watusa
By Lakshmi.Watusa 2013-06-22 18:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sapphire said: »
If you are serious about doing salvage, try to do it with 3 people as your core and add a 4th as a last resort.

A perfect setup is 2 people with 1 person 2-boxing the support mage so you have a trio, but only 2 people splitting the plans/armor/alex.

Arrapago/Bhaf II are the easiest to trio imo and the most forgiving to learn for those just starting salvage II or with less than perfect job setups.

If you bring drk, they work best if they are an apoc drk. Otherwise the optimum trio for lowmanning is whm+mnk+thf.
Samurai is a good substitute for mnk in Arra II which has the bloodshed plans your drk friend wants.

If say you had 3 people and one of them has a WHM mule, would you bring it along as well and do something like MNK THF WHM BRD or leave the mule back and still keep the WHM MNK THF core?

I ask because my friends and I are going through this predicament, do I even bother bringing in my mule or does that make it even longer to get unlocks and all that (none of us have ever step foot in Salvage).
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-06-22 18:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Granis said: »
But, I have a friend who is a certain DD job (DRK) who's dying to get in there too to start working on Ares plans and Ares 45s, but I know DRK isn't one of the "kings of salvage" jobs that are used for lowmanning (MNK, THF etc.) So his chances of joining a Salvage shout are small. He's got a pretty decent setup, he's working on getting his Bereaver, and he happens to be a Crobaci carrier till his Bereaver is done.

LOLTEHFUKWOT?

Apoc drk is the "King of Salvage" especially on lower floors, as Jass pointed out obviously we need JA/Main unlocks but we get haste+10%, last resort and more importantly a way to heal ourselves w/o using the healers mp pool and Cata does a ton of damage.

The other "King of Salvage" atm is pup... provided range/ja unlocks, which are easy to get in arrap/bhaf, hardly anything will do damage to the auto with Alternator and rng frame. Me and my friend trio salvage me on pup and sch with him on thf. Mega bosses take hardly any time with just the auto and the thf on it (sch to nuke/kaustra cerby at <50%).
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-06-22 18:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

THF/DNC, MNK/WAR SCH/RDM. Best BR2 setup. First sj to scholar, 1st ability to monk. Other dd work just as well for AR2 and SSR2 to replace the monk, ZR2 isnt required at all.

Leading it is easy also if you need a guide for any of these 3 zones without reading too much crap or so you know what you can skip let me know.
 Ragnarok.Daffel
Server: Ragnarok
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2013-06-22 18:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
Ragnarok.Granis said: »

LOLTEHFUKWOT?

Apoc drk is the "King of Salvage" especially on lower floors.

Taking a pretty obvious guess at his friend does not have apoc.

I warn everyone I know about the salvage PUG groups on RAG. Had leaders steal alex, going only 1 paper route (the ones they need) or lot all 45's. Better off making a third friend and setting up a trio.

WHM, MNK, DRK can destroy BR2 and AR2 (AR2 better off with SCH though) These two zones will get you marduk and ares plans. If you can make a fourth friend get them on THF to make them even smoother =)

If all else fails, drop me a tell. I try to run nightly if I have bodies and alex is split and route/zone depends on what people want to do. Pushing to finish some Galka's a sec though. (If they ever god damn appear >.<)
 Sylph.Binckry
Server: Sylph
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2013-06-22 18:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said: »
THF/DNC, MNK/WAR SCH/RDM. Best BR2 setup. First sj to scholar, 1st ability to monk. Other dd work just as well for AR2 and SSR2 to replace the monk, ZR2 isnt required at all.

Leading it is easy also if you need a guide for any of these 3 zones without reading too much crap or so you know what you can skip let me know.
^This. What me and my friends also do, since I run with SAM, SCH, and a DD or thf, is just kaustra the boss (except for dvergr of course!) it should die fast, and with embrava/regen you should be in no danger. The dvergr's squishy enough that as long as your healer is fast its n[
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2013-06-22 18:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Watusa said: »
Valefor.Sapphire said: »

If say you had 3 people and one of them has a WHM mule, would you bring it along as well and do something like MNK THF WHM BRD or leave the mule back and still keep the WHM MNK THF core?

I ask because my friends and I are going through this predicament, do I even bother bringing in my mule or does that make it even longer to get unlocks and all that (none of us have ever step foot in Salvage).
You could bring a bard, but the problem is that it competes for unlocks early on against other jobs, and unless you get 2 spellcast unlocks at the start, the bard is pretty much dead weight for 1 if not more floors. If you bring a bard its more for speeding up the rest of the run, just be prepared to be annoyed when it gets all the unlocks you wish went to your DD and main healer early on.

Try to stick with the core of 3, you should be able to full clear and do nq+hq boss with plenty of buffer time with halfway decent geared people if you are running arra/bhaf II.
By contrast, Zhay II will feel really slow with 3 people, mainly because theres alot more monsters to chew thru on the way up.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [38 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-07-31 00:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

i do this setup when i "solo" with my mules

war whm brd

i tired with thf instead of war but no real improvements in plan drops so i decied to go with kill speed

when i go with my friend we go

me: war whm brd
him: THF RDM/whm

but generally i would say 2 melle + a healer is optimal setup for easy of sharing with unlocks and drops