First Page 2 3 ... 116 117 118 ... 130 131 132
 Asura.Darian
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Darian 2018-04-11 00:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Asura.Gotenn said: »
Not totally hypothetical since I'm currently building my Gandiva. How would you build around the AF2+3 body with double shot up, more Ohshi for DA/TA proc, or still hard-core Crit-hit/dmg build?

I go heavy on the Oshosi for my Armageddon double shot up set, currently 5/5 NQ Oshosi - but obviously relic body and any +1 pieces would be even better. Typically I find that more effective than my pure crit dmg/rate set (which is what I use with AM3 up and double shot down, and I end up using a heavier Store TP set to get 3k TP when AM isn't up).

FWIW, I often run with Regal Necklace COR, and with a good Samurai Roll I end up with a WS + 2 hit build even in my double shot set, so I don't really have concerns about taking a bit of a STP hit and I tend to be more interested in increasing double shot proc rate so I can keep that rapid fire cycle of RA > WS > RA > WS... (with the occasional but not all that common need to do two consecutive RAs when a shot misses) until double wears off.

As for the Oshosi Double Shot options (my analysis is the same for NQ/HQ, but obviously the +1 pieces are ideal):

Feet are the no brainer of the set. Obvious choice for Empy/crit OR double shot sets - so they're incredible for Gandiva/Arma AM+Double Shot purposes.

Head the other one that's pretty hard to beat; that double shot damage+ and rate is pretty great when using other double shot gear, so I use that for double shot. Still use Meghanada+2 for non-double shot AM3 crit set though.

Hands/Legs are solid pieces, but a little less impressive. For Empy users, maybe could be argued to use other stuff like Mummu+2 hands/Darraigner's Brais... but I've personally been pretty satisfied using Oshosi in these slots when double shot is up to maximize its proc rate, especially if trying to WS as soon as possible (versus potentially some holding TP situations, waiting for SC partners, focusing on white damage for some reason).

Body: Oshosi also performs well here as a stopgap until Relic+2/+3 (and retains some use for snapshot). Probably worth noting that when you do get Arcadian Jerkin +2/+3, that's a significant Store TP loss versus Oshosi - or almost any other viable body (excluding Meghanada+2, which is still my choice for double shot down Empy crit set). If the lower STP affects your x-hit that could be cause for reevaluation of other pieces. Personally, I'd sacrifice double shot from one of Oshosi hands/legs in favor of Adhemar if necessary to make up any STP lost in selecting relic body. I don't really have any room in my accessory slots for more STP in my double shot set (I'm generally already using top reasonable STP options in those slots).

^^ This. When double shot and AM3 is up Oshosi +1 is hands down the best. No double shot AM3 Nisroch, Meghanada head, mummu everywhere else
 Asura.Zeroburning
By Asura.Zeroburning 2018-04-11 00:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

unless im just getting super lucky with it with relic +3 body getting around 65% triple shot when double is up
 Asura.Zeroburning
By Asura.Zeroburning 2018-04-11 00:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 358057 when you have Am3 up and double shot
 Fenrir.Derceto
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Derceto 2018-04-15 21:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone got any good DW sets?
By Lunaz 2018-05-02 13:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

greetings
i am having a hard time finding a "optimized" Coronach set, is there any one with a good build i can see
thanks
 Phoenix.Dreadmage
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dreadmage 2018-05-11 01:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone happen to have a updated lua with the new gearsets in it. Looking to do Ranger after i finish with my corsair
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-05-11 02:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

on the front page of this RNG forum is a thread entitled "updated RNG lua". Last post is from 3 months ago, and no gear has been introduced for RNG since then. My current lua on pastebin that's linked might not include a few personal upgrades, but it's still pretty tight.
[+]
By SmoothC 2018-05-17 02:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

What is everyone's thought on Amini Gapette +1 for Emp AM3 with Double Shot. I think there is an advantage to dumping enmity in that situation, right? Almost makes its like Overkill... Just a thought

Emp Head 1 Double Shot Enmity -54
By Brynach 2018-05-17 07:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Zeroburning said: »
unless im just getting super lucky with it with relic +3 body getting around 65% triple shot when double is up

I think this is a fair assessment. I am getting a large number of procs. Many times, multiple times I get 3 or more triple shot procs back to back.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-05-17 08:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

SmoothC said: »
What is everyone's thought on Amini Gapette +1 for Emp AM3 with Double Shot. I think there is an advantage to dumping enmity in that situation, right? Almost makes its like Overkill... Just a thought

If you care that much, you generally want to try to use Decoy Shot instead. You only need another -20 enmity to completely eliminate all hate gain, which is mostly handled by gear with other attractive stats (ex: RNG AF2+3 body has -8) or Camouflage when it's up.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-05-17 10:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
SmoothC said: »

If you care that much, you generally want to try to use Decoy Shot instead. You only need another -20 enmity to completely eliminate all hate gain, which is mostly handled by gear with other attractive stats (ex: RNG AF2+3 body has -8) or Camouflage when it's up.

Just using Oshosi feet (nq!) gets you halfway there with a very potent -10 enmity alone. And using decoy is the best advice really... make all that hate work for you and your party.
 Shiva.Flowen
Server: Shiva
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2018-05-19 09:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So I recently got arcadian jerkin +3 and can confirm what Zeroburning and Brynach have reported about a high proc rate on double > triple shot.

I did some testing and although a small sample size and should not be taken as gospel, the results were as follows:

Conditions
- 250 shots fired under double shot ability.
- Only double shot effecting piece was arcadian jerkin +3 (ie no oshosi gear)
- Capped double shot JP

Results
- 93 shots were single, 157 were multi-hit (62.8% "double shot proc rate", in line with previous data that 40% is base + 20% for JP)
- of 157 multi-hit shots, 72 were double shot (45.85%) and 85 were triple shot (54.14%).

So based on this it looks like the jerkin is ~55% double > triple shot.

Other observations were:

- Triple shot appears to never proc off an "enhances snapshot" double shot (ie double shot proc when job ability is down). Might be wrong, but I have not seen it and given the high double > triple rate, it seems unlikely.

- Double shot damage does not seem to effect any hit of a triple shot activated by the body.

- Relic 3x dmg proc can proc on any of the 3 hits.
[+]
 Asura.Midgitis
By Asura.Midgitis 2018-05-19 13:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sample size too small to assume 55%, more likely 50
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-05-19 13:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll be compiling data. The oshosi gear should only give more multi shots to test, and not interfere with triple vs double procs. If you have data to share, please post and once I get about a thousand plus multi shots will have something to work with.
 Shiva.Flowen
Server: Shiva
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2018-05-19 14:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
I'll be compiling data. The oshosi gear should only give more multi shots to test, and not interfere with triple vs double procs. If you have data to share, please post and once I get about a thousand plus multi shots will have something to work with.

Only thing is Oshosi has triple shot, so you will have the trouble of distinguishing between jerkin proc and triple shot proc.

Asura.Midgitis said: »
Sample size too small to assume 55%, more likely 50

As I said ~55% based on the numbers and stated low sample size. Also what you said makes no sense, low sample size just makes it less accurate lower or higher, could well be 60%.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-05-19 14:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

I can't wait to compare my data to your data...maybe we could put it in a database that stores data or something !

According to my data people don't want me to come as Ranger to everything but I do anyways.
[+]
By maxiel 2018-05-20 12:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

New to Ranger here and looking to maximize job so I've got some questions

Weapon of Choice:
Starting off Non-REMA, I believe I should be using Holliday & Teller with Delve ammo for both? Are there any MAB ammos that can be amassed? I believe they are sadly only obtainable in singles from NMs.
Also where can I quiver delve ammo? There's a page for them on BGwiki but no info on them.

Subjob:
Not sure how debatable this is.. When should I use SAM or WAR? /NIN dual wield Malevolence have any use outside of when shadows are needed?

Double Shot:
I think I'll be changing quite a lot of pieces when this is up. Should I be using it on cooldown and is it worth to lose all the STP? How bad is balancing the spinning plates of diff gear if I eventually have Gandiva AM and doubleshot up?

Camouflage:
Seems to only be useful in scenarios I don't want to WS because of mechanics or not wanting to ruin people's fabulous Skillchains!

Trueshot:
Is this even viable on anything except fodder?

Merits:
Am I right to assume
5/5 Sharpshot 5/5 Rapid Shot
5/5 Snapshot 5/5 Recycle Rate (I believe because of Relic Head)

Job Point priority:
Should this be my order?
Double Shot --> Velocity Shot --> Sharpshot = Decoy Shot = Barrage --> rest

Essential REM armor:
Quick look makes me think to only really get
Artifact: Head, Body, Hands
Relic: Head, Body, Legs
Empyrean: Body, Hands

Any other info and tips for playstyle is greatly appreciated especially for any gear that is easily overlooked that "augments 'x'" or increases duration.

Thank you for the help!
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-05-21 02:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

maxiel said: »
Weapon of Choice:
Starting off Non-REMA, I believe I should be using Holliday & Teller with Delve ammo for both? Are there any MAB ammos that can be amassed? I believe they are sadly only obtainable in singles from NMs.
Also where can I quiver delve ammo? There's a page for them on BGwiki but no info on them.

Yes, though for Bow you could also get a Nobility (from Sinister Reign), which is also an excellent non-RMEA option. Teller would need VERY strong augments to beat it. Steinthor from Albumen T4 Reisenjima is also a good non-RMEA bow, but good chance that if you are killing Albumen you're able to get an Aeonic anyway.

That being said, you'll probably be using gun for almost everything anyway, so don't feel like you need to go too nuts on any bow.

Quiver/Pouch NPC is the same NPC as always, Nokkhi Jinjahl in whatever nation is 1st place in Conquest (trade a carnation along with the ammo to be quivered).

RNG has no real sources for MAB ammo outside of RMEA ammo - stuff like the Animikii Bullet is more designed for COR to use with Quick Draw and not expend, not really a thing for non-RMEA RNG.

Quote:
Subjob:
Not sure how debatable this is.. When should I use SAM or WAR? /NIN dual wield Malevolence have any use outside of when shadows are needed?

/WAR or /SAM for physical oriented mobs (i.e., Last Stand/Jishnu situations). Perun+1/Nusku Shield is the standard setup for both. I personally find /WAR more frequently useful for Fencer (TP Bonus +200/Crit rate +3%), Berserk, Warcry. /SAM STP+15 (and to a lesser extent, Meditate/Sekkanoki) may not even change your x-hit, though at least Trueflight has some significant benefit from TP overflow (Last Stand not so much).

/DNC or /NIN are for when Trueflight is better damage (i.e., probably anything that isn't especially light magic resistant), primarily for that second dagger. /DNC is better offensively, thanks to Skillchain Bonus trait (SC damage +8%). /NIN is better defensively with shadows, but there's a good chance that's largely irrelevant in current content where RNG is particularly useful (I find myself going /DNC at leas 9 times out of 10 when I want a DW sub). /NIN also gets 10 more DW if for whatever reason you want to melee... but I tend to find it more useful to just shoot for TP (though I guess a CP party might be more DW melee friendly).

Quote:
Double Shot:
I think I'll be changing quite a lot of pieces when this is up. Should I be using it on cooldown and is it worth to lose all the STP? How bad is balancing the spinning plates of diff gear if I eventually have Gandiva AM and doubleshot up?

Double Shot is amaaaazziiiinnng. Relic +2/+3 body and Oshosi pieces (especially head & feet) are great for it, along with Ambu cape that you'll no doubt want to be using anyway. Double Shot makes an even bigger DPS difference for Empy (where white damage is a significantly higher portion of the TP/WS split than other weapons), but it's great for both. Oshosi head is worth giving up even the amazing TP generation of Relic head to me.

Personally, I think a decent balance is:
1) General purpose STP/default Racc set
2) Double Shot set
3) High Racc set

And for Empy users in particular (but also viable for anyone interested in a crit set), add a 4th set:
4) Heavy crit dmg/rate set (for Empy AM up)

I just put a macro for each set in my macro bar, and hit em to shoot in the appropriate midshot set.

For preshot sets, you can adjust Rapid Shot/Snapshot based on level of Flurry you have (no Flurry, Flurry I, Flurry II). Could do a toggle in .lua if you use GS. If you don't, I like the method of just using three consecutive different macro pages (one for each level of flurry) and otherwise duplicating the pages.

Quote:
Camouflage:
Seems to only be useful in scenarios I don't want to WS because of mechanics or not wanting to ruin people's fabulous Skillchains!

Yeah, also nice for minimizing enmity for a short time - especially nice while building TP safely at the start of a fight, after a big hate reset, etc. Empy RNG may get more out of it with Camo JPs adding sweet, sweet crit rate for those AM3 crit procs.

Quote:
Trueshot:
Is this even viable on anything except fodder?

Probably not. Tends to be that where you use RNG, you're doing it to stay out of AoE range and still do damage - so standing far enough away to be out of range is definitely the priority over being in the sweet spot for True Shot.

Quote:
Merits:
Am I right to assume

Yep.

Quote:
Job Point priority:
Should this be my order?

More or less, yeah. That's definitely a reasonable progression. Again, the more you care about crits, Camo might move up some in priority (I think I did Double > Velocity > Sharpshot > Camo).

Quote:
Essential REM armor:
Quick look makes me think to only really get
Artifact: Head, Body, Hands
Relic: Head, Body, Legs
Empyrean: Body, Hands

Yeah that's pretty fair.

AF: I kinda like legs/feet for high Racc sets too (don't forget to add Racc+15 per additional piece set bonus), but I'm kinda with you that I don't know I'd call them "essential" like the others.

Relic: Yeah. Head is a killer TP piece (Recycle augment is amaaaziiiing), Body is a killer Double Shot piece, Legs are great for WS.

Empy: If you aren't using hands for some sort of Archery/STP set, you COULD skip these if you have any Herculean TH augmented gear and/or Chaac Belt though. You do want to try to use Bounty Shot in TH+4 worth of gear though (Empy hands Bounty Shot = TH+2). Legs aren't a bad STP/crit option, though lacking in Racc and I'm with you on not including them as an "essential".

Quote:
Any other info and tips for playstyle is greatly appreciated especially for any gear that is easily overlooked that "augments 'x'" or increases duration.

- Weatherspoon Ring is massive for Trueflight.

- Read some of the recent Arcadian Jerkin +3 testing, it's a BEAST with the rate at which it turns Double Shot into Triple Shot.

- You mentioned Gandiva (possible goal?). It's definitely a monster of a physical weapon, but it is rather limited - JR or bust. Gun is a lot more flexible, with a good physical WS option in Last Stand, and excellent magical WS in Trueflight (and WF to a much lesser extent). If you're gonna make multiple RNG RMEA, Gandiva is definitely an awesome option to have. If you want to just get one RMEA that more solidly covers all of your bases (or one to start with and then add to the collection later), one of the marksmanship RMEA are the way to go for strong physical AND magical damage. Any of Fomalhaut, Gastraphetes, or Armageddon can work this way (and if it matters to you, Fomal/Arma can pull double duty as high end COR weapons too).

- Magical WS generate a lot less enmity than spamming JR/Last Stand. Something to keep in mind that I think separates the smart RNGs from some of the Aeonic bandwagon. Good use of Decoy Shot (especially great when you're dumping lots of hate on the tank during Double Shot) and use of magical WS can be a total life saver, which is sort of the point of using rangers in the first place in most situations.
[+]
By Brynach 2018-05-21 07:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flowen said: »
Only thing is Oshosi has triple shot, so you will have the trouble of distinguishing between jerkin proc and triple shot proc.
I believe the Oshosi gear requires the correlating effect be active, so only COR will receive the benefit of Triple Shot.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-05-21 11:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Brynach said: »
Shiva.Flowen said: »
I believe the Oshosi gear requires the correlating effect be active, so only COR will receive the benefit of Triple Shot.

The actual ability that we as Rangers are using is still called doubleshot, and as such the only benefit(s) we get from Oshosi gear is derived from the stats related to doubleshot. As a point of comparison, there is no "quad shot" stat on the Oshosi gear, and on COR with the relic+3 hands, CORs still see an increase in total tripleshot rates (including quad shot procs) with oshosi versus without. I can do some testing of just relic+3 body versus relic+3 body along with a couple pieces of Oshosi if that's requested from people.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-05-21 12:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

maxiel said: »
New to Ranger here and looking to maximize job so I've got some questions...

Merits:
Am I right to assume

Job Point priority:
Should this be my order?

...Thank you for the help!

Just a few personal preference suggestions on merits/job points. With the massive amount of ranged accuracy available to rangers today (esp RMEA RNGs), I find that I really only use Sharpshot during barrage procs more often than not. As a result, and having both Empyrean ranged weapons changes my playstyle. Therefore, I merited Camouflage recast. This is a very niche use, and beginning rangers will certainly get more usage out of Sharpshot merits, but it is a viable option depending on how you use camo. (I suggest a different gearset not built around STP at all, but built around crit damage and crit rate)

In terms of Job points, with the introduction of Oshosi gear and now the Relic+3 body, I think that Doubleshot Job points are your biggest increase in DPS of all the categories. After that, I think Velocity Shot JPs come next, since whenever you are in a purely shooting scenario, you're gonna be riding Velocity Shot 100% of the time. This opposed to say Sharpshot Job Points that will only increase your DPS during Sharpshot uptime.

In the end, you'll have them all (JPs), so not a huge deal, but something worth considering.
[+]
By maxiel 2018-05-21 18:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks a lot for the help Capuchin and Celebri! Good to know doubleshot is that freakishly good and seems DW daggers is better than other subs if I'm expected to Trueflight spam. A REMA is still somewhat out of my reach unfortunately, but like lots of people say, knowing how to play and optimize the job with the easy gear available is usually enough at this stage of the game.

These tips and answers are very solid and more than what I expected since every detail was answered or clarified. I feel really comfortable playing RNG now and will bookmark this for future reference. Cheers!
[+]
By fonewear 2018-05-25 08:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of Ranger I'm looking into relic reforge...and the amount of work involved I'm not sure if the cost/benefit is worth it at the moment.
 Cerberus.Resetti
Server: Cerberus
user: Freezepop
By Cerberus.Resetti 2018-05-25 09:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The body +3 is definitely worth it! I just got legs +3 and am going to be testing out a few ws with them.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-05-25 10:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Resetti said: »
The body +3 is definitely worth it! I just got legs +3 and am going to be testing out a few ws with them.

The part that I don't like is I would need tons of REM chapters to do this.
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-06-01 07:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Is mythic a better weapon to use for wildfire than Armageddon?

I know it is a fire magic skill with agi attributes but I was dropping them on gastra last night and they seemed to be doing more than when I use the arma. Wondering if my set is just more mab than like agi.
By fonewear 2018-06-01 08:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
Is mythic a better weapon to use for wildfire than Armageddon?

I know it is a fire magic skill with agi attributes but I was dropping them on gastra last night and they seemed to be doing more than when I use the arma. Wondering if my set is just more mab than like agi.

It could something as simple as the extra magic attack from the bolts when using WF on mythic.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-06-01 16:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah thats what I was thinking but I cannot find an arma user so I think that right there is telling me something haha. I know like gastra has trueflight dmg bonus but I don't see that in the aftermath of arma and the bullets look meh. I've got formault, gastra, annihilator all made and completed but arma is only 90.
By clearlyamule 2018-06-01 16:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Really depends on your set. can math it out pretty easy
First Page 2 3 ... 116 117 118 ... 130 131 132