Forum » FFXI » General » Quick question on fishing
Quick question on fishing
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-02 01:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

currently level 44 fishing and i was skilling up on bluetail. Around 30ish when i was fishing for Nebimonites, every now and then id fish up a Bastore Bream by mistake and at other times one would break the line (either that or grims) So i stopped fishing for nebs until i got my skill up higher. Now that im 44, would it be possible to fish up Breams or do i still risk more breaks than catches?
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-07-02 01:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.finalfishing.info/
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-02 01:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

>.> that really didnt tell me if its a good idea to try and fish them at 44...
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-07-02 01:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Skill doesn't really make that big a difference from what I've seen (though I haven't fished that much lately), I believe your rod will have a bigger impact on what will break your line and you should be able to reference info on the aforementioned site for that.
 Remora.Kindle
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-07-02 02:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Skill has nothing to do with it.

It all varies on Rod/Bait
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-02 02:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

x.x just fished for them...targeted breams...line broke on 3rd one..using shrimp lure and halcyon rod..
 Ramuh.Alphir
Server: Ramuh
user: Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-07-02 02:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I have so much experience with fishing I swear I should write my own guide. I suggest using Halcyon rod and minnow @ whitegate to target Kalamar, they cap @ 48 and very easy to catch.

Bluetail are a major pain to catch imo, but you can catch fairly easy with halcyon and minnow in Qufim Island on the north side, north of icepond and I believe east of the tower. Bream can be tough to catch @ your level. I suggest staying away from Breams till about lvl 60ish, but Halcyon or hume and shrimp lure is best. Be careful you actually have a bream on the line instead of an item which will break your rod almost always. Good luck!
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-07-02 02:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I was reeling in breams occasionally at like level 17 in SSG, so skill isn't that important. XD
I'm only 22 fishing (got TIRED of it fast), but I'd suggest trying to find somewhere that you can hook multiple fish with the same equipment for skillups. I'm not sure where that is for level 44, but I used to be able to reel in noble lady with very high success rate after level 20. They cap at 66, so you should be ok to fish breams if you want to as they appear to cap at 86.
I might be wrong, but I am sure some pro will correct me if I am. :3
The Shrimp Lure and Halycon will get monsters and items, but just cancel any !!! and you should be ok.
All that said I am a noob fisher, but I did research it quite a bit about a month ago. Then I gave up!
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-02 02:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Tallulah said:
I was reeling in breams occasionally at like level 17 in SSG, so skill isn't that important. XD
I'm only 22 fishing (got TIRED of it fast), but I'd suggest trying to find somewhere that you can hook multiple fish with the same equipment for skillups. I'm not sure where that is for level 44, but I used to be able to reel in noble lady with very high success rate after level 20. They cap at 66, so you should be ok to fish breams if you want to as they appear to cap at 86.
I might be wrong, but I am sure some pro will correct me if I am. :3
The Shrimp Lure and Halycon will get monsters and items, but just cancel any !!! and you should be ok.
All that said I am a noob fisher, but I did research it quite a bit about a month ago. Then I gave up!

if skill isnt important...then why does my line always break when i target breams or black sole? but it doesnt when i target a fish close to my skill.....
 Ramuh.Alphir
Server: Ramuh
user: Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-07-02 03:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Skill isn't important to actually catch the fish if you are good, however it is def important to decrease your chance at breaking rods. I was fishing Kalamar, as I described above, on my main with hume rod to bring them in faster at fishing lvl 55ish and never broke my rod. I fished with my mule at lvl 16 and broke my hume rod in less than an hr. If you don't want to break rods take my advice as stated above.

You want to catch multiple fish for skillups, but from lvl 48-55 it's one of them tedious lvl ranges. Kalamar till 48, bluetail till 55, noble lady till 61 .. then you best have your Lu's rod by then for Nashmau.
[+]
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-07-02 05:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
if skill isnt important...then why does my line always break when i target breams or black sole? but it doesnt when i target a fish close to my skill.....

It's not so much you're targetting fish that are too high lvl, you're just targetting fish which will break or line snap a halcyon. Say if you try for Gugru Tuna which are only lvl 41, you'll still see breaks just because your rod can't handle it.

Just looking at that site, assuming it's accurate, bream just breaks/line snaps a lotta rods. If you really wanna go for it you might just have to go and work on/buy a lu's. I don't recall ever line snapping to breams with it. Otherwise, you'll probably just have to work on a different fish.
[+]
 Remora.Kindle
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-07-02 05:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarowyn said:
Dubont said:

It's not so much you're targetting fish that are too high lvl, you're just targetting fish which will break or line snap a halcyon. Say if you try for Gugru Tuna which are only lvl 41, you'll still see breaks just because your rod can't handle it.

Just looking at that site, assuming it's accurate, bream just breaks/line snaps a lotta rods. If you really wanna go for it you might just have to go and work on/buy a lu's. I don't recall ever line snapping to breams with it. Otherwise, you'll probably just have to work on a different fish.

He didn't believe me when I told him this....
user: iLLogiX
By Remora.Hackstealandbot 2009-07-02 05:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Kindle said:
Tarowyn said:
Dubont said:

He didn't believe me when I told him this....

USEFUL POST. 10/10. WOULD READ AGAIN.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Thanquol
Server: Pandemonium
user: Thanquol
By Pandemonium.Thanquol 2009-07-02 06:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can get your hands on a LU fishing rod, you will see that your fishing will change drastically. The LU is very hard to break, and if you break it, there is a NPC in Rabao that can fix it.

I'm at level 48 and I borrow my brother's LU from time to time, and it makes fishing much, much easier.