SE being sue?
First Page 2 3
 Bahamut.Pjohn
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Pjohn
By Bahamut.Pjohn 2009-06-26 14:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

June 24, 2009 - A federal class action lawsuit was filed against Square Enix America earlier this week. The suit claims the company knowingly deceived 100,000 customers of their online MMO Final Fantasy XI by concealing penalties and fees associated with the monthly subscription service.

The lawsuit also highlights unfair advertising of the information on user licenses, restrictions and conditions, and charges while an account is suspended. Basically, Square is accused of doing a poor job of letting people know what they were signing up for in the first place.

Plaintiff Esther Leong of San Francisco is seeking up to $5 million over these alleged claims. If you happen to love court filings, you can read over the entire document.

Article and court document can be viewed in the link
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/997/997958p1.html

Pulled from BG

Ninja Edit: title should say *sued*
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-06-26 14:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The end to FFXI is closer than we think.
Damn recession.
 Alexander.Garlend
Server: Alexander
user: Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2009-06-26 14:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

ya i read about that yesterday. morons trying for a buck. next they will sue SE because all the FF games are false advertising by not being actually Final. >.>
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-06-26 14:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, how ridiculous. People will do anything for greed and money. Let's all sue McDonald's because their stupid coffee is hot while we're at it. /roll eyes.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-26 14:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

thhpt...
I dont think all 100k people are going to get a piece of the pie.
[+]
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-06-26 14:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Garlend said:
ya i read about that yesterday. morons trying for a buck. next they will sue SE because all the FF games are false advertising by not being actually Final. >.>

The first one actually was meant to be. Last ditch effort by Squaresoft to make something that sold well. Hence the name Final Fantasy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Pjohn
By Bahamut.Pjohn 2009-06-26 14:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

People on BG are complaining about double billing...

funny how BG went straight to the coffee and here we arrive at it also.

Apparently the coffee gave the lady 3rd degree burns the coffee was like 180 degrees+

Look up the different degrees of burns 3rd eats flesh!!!
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2009-06-26 14:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

More ban hammer emos.
 Unicorn.Stormyfox
Server: Unicorn
user: Stormyfox
By Unicorn.Stormyfox 2009-06-26 14:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

OMG that is just lame >.> why not sue this site? www.brogame.com they have been so annoying!
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-26 14:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Pjohn said:
Apparently the coffee gave the lady 3rd degree burns the coffee was like 180 degrees+

Yeah, it was...I always thought that was a ridiculous lawsuit, too, but then I read up on it and I kinda agree with it. The woman was an idiot for putting it between her legs...but that coffee was way hotter then it needed to be, I burned the ***outta myself a few times from it sloshing across my hand while I was driving and ***. Also my own fault for "drinking and driving" but yeah, 180+ degrees...unnecessarily hot. I think that's actually illegal now because of that lawsuit, 145 is the max or some ***.
 Alexander.Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2009-06-26 14:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Stormyfox said:
OMG that is just lame >.> why not sue this site? www.brogame.com they have been so annoying!

ya sue brogame and brosale for harrassment. lol
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-26 14:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yar. Hironobu Sakaguchi created the first "Final Fantasy" with the last of Square's money back in 1987. >.> As for the lawsuit... Anyone will sue anyone else for any reason. Gotta love the judicial system...
 Kujata.Yishay
Server: Kujata
user: yishaymnk
By Kujata.Yishay 2009-06-26 15:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

so after reading the court document i still don't understand it ... she is sueing cause she was addicted?

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/06/24/SquareEnix.pdf

i don't get it they repeat the same thing over and over and never really say she was banned for buying gil and SE didn't make it clear enough that she could be banned. hell if i know can someone shine some light on this for me/us please
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-26 15:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure the ToS says "we can ban you whenever we want and for no reason"
 Caitsith.Xiong
Server: Caitsith
user: Xiong
By Caitsith.Xiong 2009-06-26 15:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

*** pieces of ***, that coffee *** I hope her ***is burnt forever.

"You can't fix stupid."
 Caitsith.Surge
Server: Caitsith
user: Surge
By Caitsith.Surge 2009-06-26 15:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pjohn said:
June 24, 2009 - A federal class action lawsuit was filed against Square Enix America earlier this week. The suit claims the company knowingly deceived 100,000 customers of their online MMO Final Fantasy XI by concealing penalties and fees associated with the monthly subscription service.

The lawsuit also highlights unfair advertising of the information on user licenses, restrictions and conditions, and charges while an account is suspended. Basically, Square is accused of doing a poor job of letting people know what they were signing up for in the first place.

Plaintiff Esther Leong of San Francisco is seeking up to $5 million over these alleged claims. If you happen to love court filings, you can read over the entire document.

Article and court document can be viewed in the link
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/997/997958p1.html

Pulled from BG

Ninja Edit: title should say *sued*

Ewww that sucks, but i would hate to agree they really shouldnt be double charging though im not gonna hope onto the band waggen just wish for the times where they charged me the 30-35 instead of the 18.95 i originally owe. It really herts when they hit all the account a pay for since my close friends want to play and cant pay. IMO i think a refund should be the best option.
 Phoenix.Boyaci
Server: Phoenix
user:
By Phoenix.Boyaci 2009-06-26 15:31:13
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Garlend said:

That would be almost as good as the woman who sued General Mills because she felt deceived to learn that the Crunch Berries that she loved so much were not real berries.

http://www.abc2news.com/content/financialsurvival/maryland_business/story/Soggy-Response-to-Crunchberry-Lawsuit/5TuSgn8c2kaDqBSkEXLndQ.cspx
 Bahamut.Pjohn
By Bahamut.Pjohn 2009-06-26 15:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I cant make heads or tails of the legal Doc myself.

But if its for the double billings and SE saying they are unable to refund and or telling weird reason not fully explaining these double charges I am all for it!!!

Just cause its in the TOS doesn't make it legal.
 Alexander.Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2009-06-26 16:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Pjohn said:
I cant make heads or tails of the legal Doc myself.

But if its for the double billings and SE saying they are unable to refund and or telling weird reason not fully explaining these double charges I am all for it!!!

Just cause its in the TOS doesn't make it legal.

well it kinda does a lil if you agree to those ToS. lol
 Hades.Slayerx
Server: Hades
user: Slayerx
By Hades.Slayerx 2009-06-26 16:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Garlend said:

well it kinda does a lil if you agree to those ToS. lol

If you agree to the terms of service that says they can take your life, doesn't make it legal.
 Gilgamesh.Phalon
Server: Gilgamesh
user: patience
By Gilgamesh.Phalon 2009-06-26 16:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

How many million play? Lets say 1 million (cause I cant remember the muber announced a few months ago) Thats a minimum of 12million a month income. Just from this 1 game lol. This wont hurt.
 Alexander.Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2009-06-26 16:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Slayerx said:

If you agree to the terms of service that says they can take your life, doesn't make it legal.

ya but it doesnt say that, its just about billing n stuff not killing you. >.>
 Hades.Slayerx
Server: Hades
user: Slayerx
By Hades.Slayerx 2009-06-26 16:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Garlend said:
[
ya but it doesnt say that, its just about billing n stuff not killing you. >.>

Point is ToS doesn't make everything legal. -.-
 Asura.Zekky
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-26 16:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Time to look at my bank account statements. =d
 Alexander.Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2009-06-26 16:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Point is ToS doesn't make everything legal. -.-[/quote]

ya but SE's ToS is all legal because it was constructed by there uber legal team. I've read the whole thing and it has everything about double billing and all that jargen in it.
 Bahamut.Memimi
user: Memimi
By Bahamut.Memimi 2009-06-26 16:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Double billing... ya, it happens. Happened to me more than once. Anytime it was for no reason I got a refund or a free month though.

I read that whole document. Basically, she's mad about things like the fact that if you reactivate and then don't pay them and owe them money, they tack on interest after a while, and that they don't explain their billing well enough before signing up. Basically, she's pissed that SE hasn't explained billing and she got double billed or something and then talked to some other people who had the same thing happen so she's filing this lawsuit so her and her lawyer can make some cash. She probably got banned too. Why else would someone do something to get a game they play shut down? XD

Also, if it says something about not giving a refund in the ToS and you agree to it, there is nothing you can do. You've agreed to their Terms of Service. They serve you (let you play) under their terms which you have agreed to.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-06-26 17:00:50
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

The moment she clicked "Agree" on that log in screen she forfeit the merit to this lawsuit.
 Alexander.Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2009-06-26 17:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing i dont like about there billing is all the amounts it says on playonline are in US $ so i have to try n figure out how much it is in Canadian $. lol
 Bahamut.Pjohn
By Bahamut.Pjohn 2009-06-26 17:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Memimi said:

Also, if it says something about not giving a refund in the ToS and you agree to it, there is nothing you can do. You've agreed to their Terms of Service. They serve you (let you play) under their terms which you have agreed to.

Paying for good and or services never provided isn't legal in any TOS no matter how you word it.

Not referring to this SE thing just in general.
First Page 2 3