Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 46 47 48 ... 188 189 190
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Martel 2014-04-10 15:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kanryu said: »
Martel also posted his theoretical best for both Reso and Ruin a page or two ago... albeit in text not itemset.
I saw this and went, "I did what?"

I had to go look a few pages back to remember what it was about. lol.

But I wouldn't call those sets theoretical best. I just tossed them together after a few mins of messing around with the spreadsheets.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-04-10 17:51:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Re: Reso sets, Aqreqaq Bomblet (STR+5) is better than Thew (STR+2 Atk+8), right? Not sure why I'm seeing Thew so often in suggested sets.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-10 18:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
I tested it already. Just finished posting on BG.

Guess I'll go ahead and quote it here.

Quote:
I did some testing on Aettir "Lunge +10", but I'm not quite sure what to make of the results.
Code
weapon		Tskill	MAB			
Aettir1		682		  0					
Aettir2		682		100					

Expected DMG
1Rune	511 				
2Rune	1363		
3Rune	2556

Observed DMG
	Aettir1	Aettir2
1Rune	579 	1152
2Rune	1499	2982
3Rune	2760	5491

%gains
	Aettir1			Aettir2
1Rune	0.117443869		0.112847222
2Rune	0.090727151		0.085177733
3Rune	0.073913043		0.069022036

I really want a better way to display data like this. Lining up columns on a forum really sucks.

Anyway. "Lunge+10" doesn't appear to be a %+ value. The way it degrades is weird too. But here's my best guess as to how to work this into the current formula.

Normal: ( Main-hand weapon Skill × (0.5 + Number of Runes × 0.25) )
Aettir: ( Main-hand weapon Skill × (0.6 + Number of Runes × 0.25) )

When you add 0.1 to the normal bolded value the expected and observed vaules nearly match up. It's still a tiny bit off, but I've no Idea how to get it any closer while using some thing even vaguely resembling the +10 SE showed on Aettir. interpreting it as +0.1 to the bolded value is the best I've got.
Code
	Expected DMG	Observed DMG	%gains
	Aettir1	Aettir2	Aettir1	Aettir2	Aettir1		Aettir2
1Rune	579 	1158	579 	1152	0.0		-0.005208333		
2Rune	1500	3000	1499	2982	-0.000667111	-0.006036217
3Rune	2760	5520	2760	5491	0.0		-0.00528137

The expected values are ever so slightly higher than the observed, in most cases. They're so close I wonder if I just forgot to floor a step somewhere...

Also, need a name for that bolded value. It's difficult to say What exactly Attir does without a name for it. "Adds 0.1 to valueX" doesn't tell you much.

What does your lunge set look like?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-10 20:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Re: Reso sets, Aqreqaq Bomblet (STR+5) is better than Thew (STR+2 Atk+8), right? Not sure why I'm seeing Thew so often in suggested sets.

I don't play with spreadsheet much, but my guess for uncapped attack would actually be potestas > Aqreqaq > Thew
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2014-04-10 20:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

What does your lunge set look like?
ItemSet 322224
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2014-04-11 02:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

/envy on your gear

Why Futhark Gloves and that ring? For the +enmity?
And why Hecate in place of Novio?

@Kanryu
If you take over I have a couple of things to make you correct/add in the first post already ;)

Question:
What's you people's opinion concerning Iuitl+1 set and Qaaxo?
Which ones do you think could be vital, in which situations and with which augments?
I have several jobs that can equip tham and (mostly) no intention to get multiple versions, so I kinda need to weight different aspects and go for the best compromise.
My thoughts now, please correct me:

Qaaxo
Was thinking Qaaxo Hands/Legs/Feet augmented with DA+2 path could be a decent TP option for the jobs who can equip it.
Not so much for head because there's Felistris Mask, and nither for body because of Thaumas.
Feet can be a decent WS and Lunge/Swipe option though, if doing path C instead.
The PDT path doesn't look very useful for me. The AF/Relic relevant options look better to me. (only one you don't get being Feet)

Iuitl+1
Feet can get 1% more haste (if you need it...), overall other stats are very similar. (less eva with the DA path).
Good luck getting DA+2 on Iuitl though, just like Hagondes the set has an insane amount of possible augments.
Maybe feet could be worth even without DA just to use on PDT sets?
Rest of the set is, I dunno... Head with DA+2 looks nice (Better than Felistris though?) but again good luck with that.
PDT-wise I feel you're better with Relic/AF. MDT-wise head/hands/legs/feet could be nice, but again I feel the advantages you get from AF/Relic (at least some slots) overweights pure MDT.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2014-04-11 03:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
/envy on your gear

Why Futhark Gloves and that ring? For the +enmity?
And why Hecate in place of Novio?
Futhark and eihwaz are just for the enmity. Hecate's cause I don't have a novio, and haven't bothered to go get one. I'll probably just use a crematio once I get one anyway.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2014-04-11 04:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not a Warwolf Belt as well then! :P I guess for inventory space.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2014-04-11 04:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If I were going to carry an enmity+ belt, It'd either be trance belt(+4 enmity) or goading belt(enmity/haste. good for flash/foil.)

But yeah, I don't have the space for it.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-04-11 12:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

I don't play with spreadsheet much, but my guess for uncapped attack would actually be potestas > Aqreqaq > Thew

You may be right, would have to play around with spreadsheet and consider uncapped attack situations. In either case though, Aqreqaq should beat Thew.

Another consideration is that in situations where you're concerned about uncapped attack, there's a decent chance you also have to consider whether you have adequate accuracy for a 5-hit WS. So Honed Tathlum might be better than any of the Atk/STR options.

/envy on your gear

Indeed, nice set. Only thing that sticks out to me is empty ammo slot. Erlene's Notebook is pretty damn nice. I know spending more inventory for Lunge-only gear is a pain, but MAB+3 sure seems worth it. Enmity-2 is a consideration for tanking, but one I'd probably accept (and mitigate with some Enm+ gear in other slots).

And the good news, with the upcoming Wardrobe system, seems like these kinds of inventory concerns may be a lot less of a problem in the near future.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-11 12:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You may be right, would have to play around with spreadsheet and consider uncapped attack situations. In either case though, Aqreqaq should beat Thew. Another consideration is that in situations where you're concerned about uncapped attack, there's a decent chance you also have to consider whether you have adequate accuracy for a 5-hit WS. So Honed Tathlum might be better than any of the Atk/STR options.

Also a valid point. I thought about that too, but given the situations in which I get to play Runefencer (essentially solo for my own enjoyment at the moment), it's just me and my mule. So my needs for acc/attack aren't quite as demanding at the moment.

Also, the set I posted was intended as ideal. I have zero Qaaxo/Vanir gear as of yet. Still rocking the Manibozho jerkin for Resolution myself.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-11 12:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 322245

This is what I've been using for Lunge/Swipe. Admittedly, since I don't do any group tanking the -enmity hasn't been a problem to me; I need to get myself that Vanir Cotehardie; I must admit to not having even realized RUN could equip it. Ugh those BCs. Need to do more.
 Ragnarok.Kanryu
user: Kanryu
By Ragnarok.Kanryu 2014-04-11 13:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Actual for me currently:

ItemSet 322258

Ideal as far as I'm aware:

ItemSet 294412

Grip obviously depends what you are doing and would not be used very commonly. If I can get my hands on a -1 I'm gonna use Khepri over Opima because I'm planning on using the job as a tank in the majority of situations and really don't want the emnity-.

I havn't seen anyone list the tathlum in sets. Does Mdmg actually work on Swipe/Lunge or is Erlene's Better? I have both but was never clear.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Toro/Evasionist are interchangeable.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-11 13:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It does work. I just don't have access to either at this time. My gil is a bit on the limited side, as is my time.

And I *** despise Meeble *** burrows.

I hate the gimicky side-grade crap SE throws around during the "end period" between expansions. MMM, Meeble Burrows, that shitty pre-synergy system (the name escapes me all of a sudden...)

I also hate the random augment nature of first the tatter system and now the skirmish system.

They drive me batshit insane. They are straight-up bottleneck chokepoints built in to waste people's time and frustrate them.
 Ragnarok.Kanryu
By Ragnarok.Kanryu 2014-04-11 14:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

@Kanryu
If you take over I have a couple of things to make you correct/add in the first post already ;)

Question:
What's you people's opinion concerning Iuitl+1 set and Qaaxo?
Which ones do you think could be vital, in which situations and with which augments?
I have several jobs that can equip tham and (mostly) no intention to get multiple versions, so I kinda need to weight different aspects and go for the best compromise.
My thoughts now, please correct me:

My opinion on Iuitl is +1 Head has the potential to beat Futhark Bandeau with +2DA and -4%PDT for tank set. You lose 6 def but gain that multi-attack for a nice boost to tp/threat gain. It could potentially push ahead of Felis Mask in this case too.

Boots without DA are marginally better than Qaaxo B path, but with DA or really anything relevant besides just PDT-4 will probably win.

Qaaxo I'm planning on Feet A/C, Hands A, and Body B.

C Feet for WS/Lunge.
A Feet/Hands for TP.
B Body for hybrid, though in all honesty I'm cheap and short on space on run so I may pass on this.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-11 14:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Given my chances of tanking anything for my ls are slim to none, I'm mainly sticking to my hybrid setup and pure DD setups when I play for personal enjoyment.

As such, I'm probably going to upgrade the good Qaaxo stuff and tell Iuitl+1 to piss up a rope. Still need to get the good pieces of Otronif+1 for samurai.
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2014-04-11 14:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Since I can't find anything about it I'm going to assume the rune GS has no hidden +parry rate?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-11 14:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eightball said: »
Since I can't find anything about it I'm going to assume the rune GS has no hidden +parry rate?

Aettir, at least, seems pretty straightforward in that regard, like the rest of the weapons of its nature. As for the upcoming Mythic-type weapon, who can say?
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2014-04-11 17:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Aettir, at least, seems pretty straightforward in that regard, like the rest of the weapons of its nature. As for the upcoming Mythic-type weapon, who can say?

Ohh I didn't hear about more new weps. Will proly need this one to make the other.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-11 17:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think they'll be linked, tbh. These weapons have stats that are too high for them to be base weapons.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-11 19:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Updated the OP. Changelog:

-Amended the "What Can I Do as a Rune Fencer" section.

*It ignored the fact that you can, indeed, tank.

-Adjusted multiple job abilities and corrected mathematical typos therein. Durations, recasts, and effects are now accurate.

*Added additional information for Swordplay.
*Added additional information for One For All.
*Added additional information for Pflug.
*Added Swipe.
*Added Vivacious Pulse.

-Adjusted multiple traits.

*Added all tiers and values for Tenacity.
*Added all tiers and values for Inquartata.
*Removed verification tag for the highest tier of Magic Defense Bonus.

-Added Job Points.

*They still suck.

-Revised the Weapon section.

*Removed all inconsequential weapons from the list.
*Added new weapons, ordered by usefulness. They are also listed in pretty colors, yay.

-Revised the Sub Job section.

*Many of these required revision and clarification.
*Added SCH sub.
*Added BLU sub.

-Added information pertaining to artifact and relic armors to the respective abilities and spells. The ones I care about anyway. Sleight of Sword and Rayke got no love.

I've also given Kanryu editing rights. Feel free to replace the armor set section with your own sets.
[+]
 Odin.Eliosha
Server: Odin
By Odin.Eliosha 2014-04-11 19:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Which will happen next month... apparently.
Bluh. I just hope it's not a "inverse Burtgang"... Cause if there's one thing RUN does NOT need... it's more MDT.
The stupid high Meva + available MDT is more than enough for RUN to laugh at pretty much any and every magical attack. (assuming you know your stuff and match the types right.)

Ideally... IMO, what I think would be best for RUN's fakemythic will be to basically be Burtang... with a massive hidden parry rate buff. Massive only because parry caps so low... (This GS really needs to be the equal of Burtgang + Ochain/Aegis...)
And while PLD is the "physical tank"... RUN needs that overcapped PDT more than PLD does. The light armor has... really made me miss the stupid high def PLD gets. (Basically, Burtgang's PDT is super good for PLD... but it's not hurting without. It's just more of an already good thing. RUN needs all the PDT help it can get.)

As for the "JA buff" that mythics sport... I'd like a fourth rune if that would be allowed.
But it'll probably just be Lunge like Aettir is... or something similar. (+20? lol)

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I don't think they'll be linked, tbh. These weapons have stats that are too high for them to be base weapons.
Who knows at this point... it's not a real Mythic. It's a fake mythic.
All we can really say at this point is that it's gonna be 1000000000000% less work than real mythics.

Which I guess is great for us... but... I don't like it. That's not really fair. (see RUN's "relic-equivalent" for why I'm betting the "mythic-equivalent" is gonna be as "hard" to get as this new JSE. read: pisseasy.)
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-11 19:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

RUN hasn't got a relic equivalent weapon, though. I don't remember seeing anything saying that the mythic equivalent weapons would require much less work than a mythic, either. We don't know what we'll need to do for them yet. All I'm saying is, Oboro JSE weapons have stats that are entirely too high to be used as a base weapon unless the process of upgrading is ridiculously easy, but I doubt that will be the case.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-04-11 19:37:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think they would turn Aettir's unique model into another unique model.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-11 19:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

node didn't save some of the fixes and additions, everything is right now
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-11 21:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
(assuming you know your stuff and match the types right.)

This is actually one annoyance I have. Runefencer could use a little more base ALL-magic-damage reduction. It's really annoying fighting beastmen or other casters that can go through multiple spell types that leave you open to problems if you don't already have the right runes up; paladin is actually better off, assuming they've got an Aegis/Ochain combo, as most competent paladins do now.
 Ragnarok.Kanryu
By Ragnarok.Kanryu 2014-04-12 12:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Updated most of the sets in the OP. Let me know if anyone sees anything wrong with any of em.

Someone build me an X-hit for Aettir and I'll update that one as well.

I'll get to updating swaps/downgrades and things throughout the day.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-12 14:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

No Tunglmyrkvi in the weapons?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-12 15:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

o right. that and the kamlanaut thing exist. i'll add them

nvm Tunglmyrkvi already done, thanks kanryu! will add the other one
 Ragnarok.Kanryu
By Ragnarok.Kanryu 2014-04-12 16:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry forgot about Mes'yohi. Its real use was only soloing anyway.

As for the best way to go about fixing multi-element bosses... I'd say that the easiest way to do it would be for them to give us a CD on a moderate (20-60s?) but not excessive CD that allowed us to CHANGE (not add) all currently equip'd rune to the next used one. Doing it this way would keep people from using lunge/gambit/rayke and instantly being back at three, but would cover our weakness to enemies that spam multiple elements.

Edit: Hell, the mythic could just grant 3 runes with each use. That'd do it too... because unless I'm mistaken there is no point using different ones unless you are doing that one AF quest.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 46 47 48 ... 188 189 190