Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 169 170 171 ... 188 189 190
By geigei 2019-12-18 12:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Morgelai/Musa were the first 2 su5 i bought, nice combo.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-18 12:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You're very right about the duration part, Martel. Totally forgot about that. I also wasn't sure about RUN hitting the enhancing skill cap for Phalanx when i mentioned it, but I threw it in also as a comparison of RUN's skill vs PLD's lower value, which would make their Phalanx weaker.

I guess if you're rolling with a RDM, there's no reason not to ask them to Phalanx II you.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sterk
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Sterk 2019-12-18 12:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If you suspect to need it recast mid-fight, I would just make sure you save Battuta when Phalanx is almost down/Embolden is almost up so you don't get rocked too hard while waiting for your RDM to throw you another Phalanx if you want to get the extra potency from your Phalanx gear.
[+]
By Korgull 2019-12-18 14:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello fellow RUNs;
My RUN has Epeo (no AG)and Lionheart R0, most sets are bis or close to bis, and recently purchased a pair of regal gauntlets, and i'm very happy with that choice.
The problem is that the last upgrades for it are the most expensive ones, and i can't decide what would have a higher impact on short term:
A) Afterglow Epeo and take it to R15, so i can keep the -25 PDT II and AM3 when zerging is needed. Currently i have to switch between Lionheart and Epeo depending on the situation, and i like the idea to sticking to epeo most of the time. The problem is that i dont have R15 Epeo and i don't know if that weapon can deal decent enough damage to justify the price.
B)Play the AMAN trove game to get an Ashera Harness. Ashera is not too far from Ayanmo Corazza +2 stat wise, so i don't know if this would improve my DPS a lot when i go hybrid. Also i only have 150m atm, so i don't think i can bid on Ashera right now.
C) R15 Lionheart.

Can anyone share their experience? Thanks.
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
Server: Leviathan
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2019-12-18 15:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Korgull said: »
Hello fellow RUNs;
My RUN has Epeo (no AG)and Lionheart R0, most sets are bis or close to bis, and recently purchased a pair of regal gauntlets, and i'm very happy with that choice.
The problem is that the last upgrades for it are the most expensive ones, and i can't decide what would have a higher impact on short term:
A) Afterglow Epeo and take it to R15, so i can keep the -25 PDT II and AM3 when zerging is needed. Currently i have to switch between Lionheart and Epeo depending on the situation, and i like the idea to sticking to epeo most of the time. The problem is that i dont have R15 Epeo and i don't know if that weapon can deal decent enough damage to justify the price.
B)Play the AMAN trove game to get an Ashera Harness. Ashera is not too far from Ayanmo Corazza +2 stat wise, so i don't know if this would improve my DPS a lot when i go hybrid. Also i only have 150m atm, so i don't think i can bid on Ashera right now.
C) R15 Lionheart.

Advice no one likes: Pick a role, DPS or Tank and R15 both weapons so you're covered for all situations.

While having a nice hybrid set is fun and all, I have found very few situations where it is critical for Rune Fencer to DPS while tanking or is necessary to hold hate.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-18 15:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Option A, if you're on Asura, is going to run your pockets worse than a rich kid walking through a bad area. If you got money to burn, this is an option, but I agree with the poster above: you're rarely asked to Hybrid Tank + DD on RUN, and if you are, you're probably perfectly able to use Lionheart while popping Battuta/OFA and a high Phalanx + Hybrid set to split the difference. The +25 PDT from Epeolatry is very nice, but it's not going to get you killed in a hybrid situation if you build sets and work on your tanking/dding intelligently. I've slowly been using my ambu beit/UNM/HTBF spoils to widdle away at that Beitetsu fee to AG Epeo, because I wasn't paying the outrageous prices. If you're worried about money, you can make it go further elsewhere.

Option B shouldn't be that pertinent; Relic +3 body for RUN is perfectly reasonable for the interim if you want to just save your money and roll monthly orbs/farm Gin for your Ashera. I don't think it's a priority.

Option C sounds like a toy if you have cash, but you get asked to come full throttle DD RUN less than Hybrid RUN imo. R0 Lionheart is fine and work on improving other areas first, is what I would recommend.
 Asura.Xanders
Server: Asura
user: L0ki79
By Asura.Xanders 2019-12-18 15:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello fellow RUNs;
C) R15 Lionheart.

AG and r15 Epeo it's by far the superior weapon, and you will get way more out of it. Under most situations it will produce much better numbers that Lionheart anyway. R15 Lionheart was by far the biggest waste of gil i have ever spent, and i r15'd some dumb s**t. Only time you would really use it is capped attack in a zerg, and lets face it in that situation if they are counting on your dmg as RUN to win your already screwed.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2019-12-18 16:08:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Xanders said:

AG and r15 Epeo it's by far the superior weapon, and you will get way more out of it. Under most situations it will produce much better numbers that Lionheart anyway. R15 Lionheart was by far the biggest waste of gil i have ever spent, and i r15'd some dumb s**t. Only time you would really use it is capped attack in a zerg, and lets face it in that situation if they are counting on your dmg as RUN to win your already screwed.

This is highly inaccurate, Rune DPS is actually great for a lot of fights such as WoC and Albumen just to name a few. The fact that they can resist debuffs much better than any other dps jobs allows them to keep DPS up while your other dds are getting para, ambesia, etc.
By Fayona 2019-12-18 16:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello fellow RUNs;
C) R15 Lionheart.

I don't get your gripe with switching between weapons. I often swap between Epeo and Lion. My Lion is R 15, unlike some on here, I don't regret it in the slightest. My Epeo is Rank 11. I love both weapons, but they each have a time and a place. To be honest, I don't think I would use Epeo at all if I didn't take the effort to AG it, the RP im not sure is necessary, but up until rank 11 its pretty cheap, its after that where it costs like an additional 70+ mill to get the last little bit.
[+]
By Fayona 2019-12-18 16:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
RDM cast Phalanx II also last for freaking ever, and a PLD's(and RUN's) Phalanx set is likely one of their weakest sets defensively. So not having to recast phalanx for a long time is a defensive benefit.

Also I'm pretty sure RUN can't hit 500 skill on phalanx either since all the primary slots are taken by phalanx+ gear, so they should benefit in terms of potency by having phalanx II cast on them as well.

Is this something we should be doing? I feel like my muscle memory will just end up with me applying my own phalanx before the red mage's has worn off anyways.

Edit: I suppose it might be worth while to create a send macro for my alt the pops me into phalanx gear and has my alt cast on me when I have it on rdm.
By Nariont 2019-12-18 16:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

if the options available ill always take a rdms phalanx 2 over my own. Specially like sterk said, embolden with a rdm phalanx 2, get your max potency and max duration.
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2019-12-18 16:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fayona said: »
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
RDM cast Phalanx II also last for freaking ever, and a PLD's(and RUN's) Phalanx set is likely one of their weakest sets defensively. So not having to recast phalanx for a long time is a defensive benefit.

Also I'm pretty sure RUN can't hit 500 skill on phalanx either since all the primary slots are taken by phalanx+ gear, so they should benefit in terms of potency by having phalanx II cast on them as well.

Is this something we should be doing? I feel like my muscle memory will just end up with me applying my own phalanx before the red mage's has worn off anyways.

Edit: I suppose it might be worth while to create a send macro for my alt the pops me into phalanx gear and has my alt cast on me when I have it on rdm.

If i'm not mistaken the new earring from DI should allow Rune Fencers to hit next Tier for phalanx putting them @ 475 Skill, and set should look something like this unless DM augmented Herc gear with phalanx +4 or greater:

ItemSet 355630

Also, you can always swap to your phalanx set to have rdm cast phalanx on you for that long duration and greater damage reduction
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2019-12-18 16:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello fellow RUNs;
C) R15 Lionheart.

My advice would be to AG your Epeo first. It's a much more versatile weapon, and the difference between the R0 and R15 version isn't that big, so you could R15 at your leisure.

If DPS is your thing and you do a lot of fully-buffed content, Lionheart R15 is a huge step up from Lionheart R0 and Epeo R0-15. Reso being 5+ hits AND fTP carry, you'll notice that R15 much more. I'd R15 that before Epeo.

If you're super serious about the job, you'll want to eventually R15 both if you're able.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sterk
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Sterk 2019-12-18 16:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like my muscle memory will just end up with me applying my own phalanx before the red mage's has worn off anyways.
Pretty sure your own Phalanx won't overwrite it, so you'll have to wait for it to wear off/cancel it or have it reapplied by your RDM while in your Phalanx gear again, which Battuta can help with keeping you safe long enough for you and your RDM to communicate.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-12-18 17:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sterk said: »
I feel like my muscle memory will just end up with me applying my own phalanx before the red mage's has worn off anyways.
Pretty sure your own Phalanx won't overwrite it, so you'll have to wait for it to wear off/cancel it or have it reapplied by your RDM while in your Phalanx gear again, which Battuta can help with keeping you safe long enough for you and your RDM to communicate.
This is correct. The strongest Phalanx effect takes priority, so if a RDM casts on you, while you're wearing your phalanx+ gear, you will not be able to overwrite it with your own cast unless you cancel the effect first.
[+]
By Korgull 2019-12-18 23:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the input, it was really helplful. I decided to go the way Arislan suggested, seems to be the most beneficial for me at the moment.
By Afania 2019-12-19 02:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kingkitt said: »
Asura.Xanders said:

This is highly inaccurate, Rune DPS is actually great for a lot of fights such as WoC and Albumen just to name a few. The fact that they can resist debuffs much better than any other dps jobs allows them to keep DPS up while your other dds are getting para, ambesia, etc.

You can resist the debuff from those NM on any DD in full DPS set as long as you buff and debuff properly.

I haven't seen WARs get stunned by WoC for really really long time.

R15 epeo > r15 lionheart IMO.
By Fayona 2019-12-19 08:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Asura.Xanders said:

You can resist the debuff from those NM on any DD in full DPS set as long as you buff and debuff properly.

I haven't seen WARs get stunned by WoC for really really long time.

R15 epeo > r15 lionheart IMO.

In Max Buff scenarios, R15 Lion can hit spikes of 65-75k with the average ws being closer to 45-50k. I've never got numbers like that out of Dimi using my Epeo. In the same breath, I'd never think of tanking Wave 3 with my Lion, Epeo is glued to me for that.

When I did my latest Aeonic, I low manned all of Zitah and Ruan, with my Rune as tank and 1 of 2 DD and that stuff just MELTS to reso. We had Non Idris Geo, BRD, WHM (Roll)COR Rune Sam, and did All of Ruan except for WoC like that. Xanders if your Lion isn't doing damage its probably an issue somewhere else, not with the weapon. Like others have said if your getting the same buffs as your DD, Lion is insane at R15.
[+]
By geigei 2019-12-19 08:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lionheart r15 pretty much shits on all weapons in game regardless of job.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2019-12-19 10:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If i'm not mistaken the new earring from DI should allow Rune Fencers to hit next Tier for phalanx putting them @ 475 Skill, and set should look something like this unless DM augmented Herc gear with phalanx +4 or greater:

ItemSet 355630
Should be at 491 in that set with 8/8 merits and Job Master. So could use artifact hands to hit 500.... but that would be 2 less phalanx overall. Any skill over 472 isn't going to matter, as it will just be floored out.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-19 10:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
So could use artifact hands to hit 500.... but that would be 2 less phalanx overall

Which one comes out better: Phalanx 3-5 hands at 472 skill, or 500 skill using hands with 3-5 less phalanx received.
By SimonSes 2019-12-19 10:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
So could use artifact hands to hit 500.... but that would be 2 less phalanx overall

Which one comes out better: Phalanx 3-5 hands at 472 skill, or 500 skill using hands with 3-5 less phalanx received.

Obviously the first option. From 472 to 500 you only get 1 point of phalanx.
By geigei 2019-12-19 10:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I think its 30skil per 1dmg or so.
By SimonSes 2019-12-19 10:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »

28base + 1 per 28.5 skill starting from 300.5 and ending at 500, so in practice:
29 329
30 358
31 386
32 415
33 443
34 472
35 500
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2019-12-19 11:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

Well... that's 2 less phalanx overall... so it's -58 with the above set... versus -56 without the taeon hands with the Artifact.

geigei said: »
And it's exactly 28.5 skill between each 1 more phalanx tier. (So because of flooring, it alternates between 28 and 29 skill counting down from 500, respectively. e.g. 500=>7 472~499=>6 443~471=>5 etc)

So anything less than 500, but more than 472 should be swapped out for DT and SIR (and HP+) pieces. Because it quite literally does nothing.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-19 11:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I just included the total possible for a Herculean DM augment, since it's possible to get +4-5 as max Phalanx received value. I also didn't know it was 30 skill per point of damage, or I wouldn't have asked.
By FaeQueenCory 2019-12-19 11:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah. Well with dark matter augments the current maximum possible for RUN is:
Should be with 4/5 herculean at max +5 augments... 472 skill, Deacon Sword, and Futhark tiara +3...
(At 500 skill, that would be bumped up to -66.)
By geigei 2019-12-19 11:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I think with the new earring we can swap back to jse sir + new waist.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 169 170 171 ... 188 189 190