[Archive] Bushido - The Way Of The Samurai (A Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » [Archive] Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide)
[Archive] Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 35 36 37
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: alyria
By Bismarck.Alyora 2013-06-25 14:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kharlan said: »
Quote:
Recommended merit build: 5/5 Store TP, 5/5 Meditate. 5/5 Overwhelm. 5/5 Ikishoten. Do 4/5 Ikis and 1/5 Blade Bash if your stunners are fail faces.

I've just started playing SAM, and was just wondering why it's recommended not to merit Zanshin Attack Rate in Group 1. I'd assume just because sTP and Meditate Recast are so good? It seems like it may almost not be worth it to merit Ikishoten without meriting Zanshin Attack Rate. I trust the recommendation in the guide, though.

I'm curious on this too.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-06-25 14:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Alyora said: »
Asura.Kharlan said: »
Quote:
Recommended merit build: 5/5 Store TP, 5/5 Meditate. 5/5 Overwhelm. 5/5 Ikishoten. Do 4/5 Ikis and 1/5 Blade Bash if your stunners are fail faces.
I've just started playing SAM, and was just wondering why it's recommended not to merit Zanshin Attack Rate in Group 1. I'd assume just because sTP and Meditate Recast are so good? It seems like it may almost not be worth it to merit Ikishoten without meriting Zanshin Attack Rate. I trust the recommendation in the guide, though.
I'm curious on this too.

Odin.Jassik said: »
Zanshin rate translates to 25% ZanHasso or 25% Counter, those are the real numbers you are worried about with Zanshin rate. So your total Zanshin rate should always be divisible by 4. If you are at like 62% zanshin, thats 15% counter/zanhasso rate. If you put 2 merits in Zanshin rate, you'd be at 64% or 16% counter/zanhasso. In this case, 2 merits are warranted. The issue is that the builds people are using now don't fit nicely into that formula and the Meditate recast (assuming you hammer meditate every chance you can) offer more DPS. If your build leaves you a few % short of an even Zanhasso rate, a few merits in Zanshin aren't a bad thing at all. 5/5 Store TP is locked, though, so there are only 5 merits available in group 1.
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
By Bismarck.Alyora 2013-06-25 14:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry but I'm new to SAM but how do you know what your zanshin is currently?

(I just got to 99, so don't bother to look at my current mess)
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2013-06-25 14:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry but I'm new to SAM but how do you know what your zanshin is currently?

(I just got to 99, so don't bother to look at my current mess)

Samurai main 99 = 50% base zanshin rate.

Now add in any gear you might be wearing that increases zanshin. Divide this total number by 4 and you get your 'zanhasso' double attack proc rate while hasso is active.

Adding 10% zanshin is like adding 2.5% DA rate, except its a bit better because your 4/5 ikishoten merits make your zanhasso procs worth 2 hits DAMAGE and 3 hits TP

As explained above, the math doesn't support zanshin merits at 1% per, because it takes 4% to get 1% returns on zanhasso.
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
By Bismarck.Alyora 2013-06-25 14:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I see. Ok simple enough.

Now as a 1st timer...I know I need to get some kind of gear til I can get better... I was trying for a gk on orthrus but not a single drop and many failed attempts. Got the back piece though.

What is an alternative to gear for someone who just got started back to ffxi from a 2+ yr quit and just got adoulin access?

Yes I'm a noob starting out as SAM but I'd like to be in something other than Perle....

Also...is it str > Dex? Should I be adding more str or Dex?

Also if its too much too type here, I'm fine with pm.
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2013-06-25 14:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I see. Ok simple enough.

Now as a 1st timer...I know I need to get some kind of gear til I can get better... I was trying for a gk on orthrus but not a single drop and many failed attempts. Got the back piece though.

What is an alternative to gear for someone who just got started back to ffxi from a 2+ yr quit and just got adoulin access?

Yes I'm a noob starting out as SAM but I'd like to be in something other than Perle....

Also...is it str > Dex? Should I be adding more str or Dex?

Also if its too much too type here, I'm fine with pm.

On what? TP set? Depends on what content you are doing and what buffs you have honestly. These days you need more accuracy than previously. I would say get into some delve farm for KIs and plasm and just buy the new weapons. As for gear, depends how serious you want to be. Usually acc/dex > str for TP set though. acc% and crit rate far outweigh str for tp

Usukane +1 stuff is still used, a couple of the emp+2s, and then of course the karieyh/mikinaak sets (bayld/plasm). Overall SAM is one of easiest jobs to play since its mostly about pressing buttons fast. The gear isn't as important because of shoha att boost etc.
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
By Bismarck.Alyora 2013-06-25 14:50:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Well not stuff thats more endgame. I'd say its more for casual fighting against nms or mobs with friends than going hardcore trying to be number 1 in the best gear on the server.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-25 15:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone well versed with sam could put together a set, but aby stuff+bayld gear should be sufficient to go with your friends on salvage and eventually get usu+1, which I think would be the next step.
There are probably better gk than that one also, maybe a tp bonus magian.
 Valefor.Dpking
Server: Valefor
user: Dpking
By Valefor.Dpking 2013-06-25 15:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Tomonari is a great gk if your not going to get a delve gk.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-06-25 15:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Pick your GK and we can put together a few sets for progression, since x-hit is a large part of the game for SAM, knowing your weapon's delay is the base for building sets.
 Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay
Server: Gilgamesh
user: leeroyjay
By Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay 2013-06-25 15:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »

<set name="*Shoha-ACChit-*" Baseset="*Shoha-Xhit-*">
<neck>Shadow Gorget</neck>
<back>Letalis Mantle</back>
<waist>Shadow Belt</waist>

For your *Shoha-ACChit-* changes, what about caudata belt? And if you used it would that allow you to keep Atheling Mantle?
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
By Bismarck.Alyora 2013-06-25 15:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I can do that.
 Bahamut.Ozwaldo
Server: Bahamut
user: Ozwaldo
By Bahamut.Ozwaldo 2013-06-28 16:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sam cant wear Epona's. They can where Onieros, though its prob not worth giving up the STR for.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-06-28 16:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah you get right on that, let me know how it works out for you.
@onieros ring, I mean by the neck slot logic, it should be a DPS upgrade no? MP merits are bad though, so noty.
 Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay
Server: Gilgamesh
user: leeroyjay
By Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay 2013-06-28 16:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Because SAM can't equip Epona's ring.
:(
Odin.Elleazar said: »
For Tachi: Shoha I see a lot of stuff talking about how there is higher averages when you use mala + wind buffet due to the quad and triple attack. I'm just curious why you wouldn't use Epona's in one of your ring slots instead of pyrosoul? It seems like adding more triple attack and double attack would make the spikes from Shoha more likely. Just curious if anyone has any numbers or reasoning to why pyrosoul is better.

Because SAM can't equip Epona's ring.
:(
 Odin.Volane
user: Volane
By Odin.Volane 2013-06-28 16:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Because:

doesnt have SAM on it.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-06-28 16:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ozwaldo said: »
Sam cant wear Epona's. They can where Onieros, though its prob not worth giving up the STR for.
Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
Yeah you get right on that, let me know how it works out for you.
@onieros ring, I mean by the neck slot logic, it should be a DPS upgrade no? MP merits are bad though, so noty.
Oneiros Ring would be an upgrade if you actually had MP merits, but yeah - I'll stick to HP, kthx.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-06-28 16:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay said: »
Cerberus.Taint said: »

<set name="*Shoha-ACChit-*" Baseset="*Shoha-Xhit-*">
<neck>Shadow Gorget</neck>
<back>Letalis Mantle</back>
<waist>Shadow Belt</waist>

For your *Shoha-ACChit-* changes, what about caudata belt? And if you used it would that allow you to keep Atheling Mantle?
And no, use Elemental Belt if you need accuracy.
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-06-30 08:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't see one on OP or last few pages, so threw together a Tsurumaru TP set. Takes +24 (+19 w/ Ionis up, SaveTP+30 total) to 5-hit. SaveTP means no need for StoreTP on WS so can just toss in everything best-in-slot there.

ItemSet 306260

This is just an eye-balled set since spreadsheet doesn't seem to handle SaveTP properly (drops DPS when removing excess StoreTP), so it probably isn't perfectly optimal. Feel free to tinker if you have one, since I likely won't have one for a long time >.<
 Phoenix.Nerji
Server: Phoenix
user: Nerji
By Phoenix.Nerji 2013-06-30 20:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Mirvana said: »
just an eye-balled set since spreadsheet doesn't seem to handle SaveTP properly (drops DPS when removing excess StoreTP)

I think the lower DPS you're seeing is probably from extra ws dmg you get from tp overflow
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-07-01 07:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The chunks were sizable enough I didn't think that was the reason. Roughly 20 DPS lost for removing the difference of WS'ing at 100% and 102%. It was likely just thinking I had dropped from 5-hit to 6-hit since the SaveTP drops your required StoreTP a sizable chunk.
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-07-06 09:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is a fun set when you aren't massively buffed. (aka no fighters, misers) It does well in all situations but obviously gets diluted the more QTDA you add or if you need massive ACC.

ItemSet 222265

Requires Ionis bonus to work.

30 save TP. 71.4 TP from Zanhasso bonus.
 Asura.Fondue
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2013-07-06 10:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

is 9haste belt and usu hands not better?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-06 10:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fondue said: »

you would need the 10 haste belt for it to be better, if I undertand the question correctly.

You lose 4 without Tenryu, gain 2 from the Usukane set bonus with Gote +1 and 1 from the belt, so you're at a total of -1 haste from the tenryu/phos+1 set.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-07-06 10:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Tekko+1 is slightly ahead but Usu can be situationally better.
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2013-07-06 10:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

you would need the 10 haste belt for it to be better, if I undertand the question correctly.

You lose 4 without Tenryu, gain 2 from the Usukane set bonus with Gote +1 and 1 from the belt, so you're at a total of -1 haste from the tenryu/phos+1 set.
you get 3 haste from 2 pieces of usu
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-07-06 10:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

you get 3 haste from 2 pieces of usu

Yeah Usu hands + 9% belt caps haste. Probably a more realistic option with Scarletite at 10mil+
 Cerberus.Legend
user: AllenD
By Cerberus.Legend 2013-07-08 12:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Phorcys or mikinaak body better for Shoha?
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2013-07-08 19:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking to get involved in Delve type content and need some advice on making my SAM useable in it.
TP
ItemSet 284524

Shoha
ItemSet 284526

Pretty sure the weapon is a big one but I'm not sure of the order to look for when upgrading. I have an un-augmented Skirmish GK but I am not sure if it can even be good enough to beat my GK.
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 35 36 37